Sonic Unleashed

Phi · 210682

Poll

Which version of Unleashed will you buy?

PS3
3 (9.7%)
12 (38.7%)
Wii
12 (38.7%)
PS2
4 (12.9%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #550 on: January 06, 2009, 03:06:27 AM
That doesnt warant getting rid of the charge shot. just dont use X.
also, youre not missing out on much. the Red Alert fiasco was basically just another Repliforce. Sigma manipulating a relatively "good" organization and setting it at war with the hunters.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #551 on: January 06, 2009, 03:10:57 AM
That doesnt warant getting rid of the charge shot. just dont use X.
also, youre not missing out on much. the Red Alert fiasco was basically just another Repliforce. Sigma manipulating a relatively "good" organization and setting it at war with the hunters.

Well, how "good" they are is all a matter of opinion, but this is a Sonic Unleashed topic, not a lament over X7's existance. Maybe we should veer back on-topic?  -u-'

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #552 on: January 06, 2009, 03:13:58 AM
this is RPM. Topics are destined to Derail.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #553 on: January 06, 2009, 03:20:41 AM
I dont understand how everybody hates X7, I Liked X7. Is that hard to believe?

Back on Topic: Can't wait until I can play a 360/Ps3 copy of the game. I really want to play Sonic Unleashed, Not Sonic Advance Wii. ::)

Offline Klavier Gavin

• RPM Soldier
  • Einspruch!
    • View Profile
Reply #554 on: January 06, 2009, 03:34:53 AM
I like the final boss fight in the Wii/PS2 version a whole lot better then the 360 version.

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #555 on: January 06, 2009, 04:27:54 AM
The final form looked a whole lot more boring, since he mostly stands around aside from the infrequent slash attacks.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #556 on: January 06, 2009, 04:50:22 AM
I dont understand how everybody hates X7, I Liked X7. Is that hard to believe?

Back on Topic: Can't wait until I can play a 360/Ps3 copy of the game. I really want to play Sonic Unleashed, Not Sonic Advance Wii. ::)
I likes it too, but I still have to admit that it wasnt capcoms best.
also, people sometimes rage about Zero's deep X7 voice. I think it honestly fit him alot better than his X8 one. its more matching to his Japanese one.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #558 on: January 06, 2009, 05:07:30 AM
X7 was awesome, [Top Spin]s. |:

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #559 on: January 06, 2009, 05:10:56 AM
Op-in-ion. Do I need to start posting more of those faces?  :\

And by joe, SEGA needs to let up on Sonic Team. GIVE THEM BACK THEIR SOULS!!! D:

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #560 on: January 06, 2009, 05:26:09 AM
You guys should read the stuff that was cut out of the second NiGHTS. They removed tons of cutscenes, some that were plot critical. Also, you'd have to race Reala for the Ideya of the level instead of randomly getting it.

http://www.nightsintodreams.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=3029

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #561 on: January 06, 2009, 05:39:36 AM
http://www.tssznews.com/2009/01/05/the-blog-sega-doesnt-want-you-to-read/
This explains so much.  God, Journey of Dreams was awful.  And the fact that its POINTER is broken really speaks to the whole last-minute-port claim.

The sad thing is, there's enough of a scrap of the extraordinarily rocking core concept in JoD that I can see how great it would be, if it was given proper focus.  But I just can't stand to drudge through all the extra crap.  Did I ever wish I had a Saturn after playing that game...

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #562 on: January 06, 2009, 05:43:14 AM
X7 was awesome, [Top Spin]s. |:

LoL, NEVER!   :P

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #563 on: January 06, 2009, 05:43:54 AM
X7? Awesome? No.

Bad? Subjective.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #564 on: January 06, 2009, 05:53:44 AM
No, it was pretty good. if it didnt have such boring stage design, it would have been alot better though. I mean, it barely made use of the 3D in the 3D segments. they could have had such better stage design... but OTHER than that, it was good. plus its got my favorite US Zero voice.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #565 on: January 06, 2009, 05:55:25 AM
http://www.nightsintodreams.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=3029

WOOOOOOW.

I mean I always said it and thought things weren't as bad as they looked, but damn, this article is blunt. The line about Sonic Team being bored and close minded really hit home for some reason.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #566 on: January 06, 2009, 06:02:37 AM
Well, it's a hell of a topic derail, but:

X7 is by no means extraordinary, but I do feel that it had its strong points.  All characters had at least one kickass weapon, and there were some strong pieces of music (Maverick and first Sigma especially)  And I do not by any means feel it was the worst of the series (that goes to Xtreme1).  But it is low on my list, as X3 and X5 are: Still plenty of fun, just not up to snuff with the rest.

X7's 2D/3D hybrid choice really shot it in the foot.  All too many elements of the game (including auto-lock and many of Zero's attacks) were obviously designed for one "dimension" with no real thought as to how well they'd impact the other.  The fact that the 2D level design, with the possible exception of Soldier Stonekong, felt as if it was done by a trained monkey was no help, either.

The aforementioned Stonekong as well as Anteater and Gungaroo levels were all great efforts, though.  They were original and engaging, but the rest of the game doesn't measure up.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #567 on: January 06, 2009, 06:05:41 AM
Again, it's mainly my stubbornness that makes me refuse to ever play that game.  You have to UNLOCK the MAIN character of the series.  I don't care if they were trying to force Axl down your throat, or even if you think that Zero IS the main character of the X series, which he pretty much is by X4.  I just found it so goddamn retarded.  It'd literally be like having to unlock Sonic in a Sonic game...which knowing SEGA is probably not all that far off one day.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #568 on: January 06, 2009, 06:06:40 AM
You have to UNLOCK the MAIN character of the series.

Reason enough for the game to be BURN, BURN, BURNED TO THE GROUND.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #569 on: January 06, 2009, 06:09:28 AM
Again, it's mainly my stubbornness that makes me refuse to ever play that game.  You have to UNLOCK the MAIN character of the series.  I don't care if they were trying to force Axl down your throat, or even if you think that Zero IS the main character of the X series, which he pretty much is by X4.  I just found it so goddamn retarded.  It'd literally be like having to unlock Sonic in a Sonic game...which knowing SEGA is probably not all that far off one day.
PLAY EEET!
at least try it. :P

Posted on: January 06, 2009, 12:09:15 AM
Reason enough for the game to be BURN, BURN, BURNED TO THE GROUND.
Best boss evar. 8D

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #570 on: January 06, 2009, 06:15:52 AM

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #571 on: January 06, 2009, 06:16:56 AM
This is *ONLY* applicable to the first playthrough.  X is unavoidable, he joins you when the 8 Mavs are defeated whether you rescued enough 'roids or not, and he's part of New Game Plus.  So, save the intro stage, you never have to be without him again.  I guess it doesn't bother me because his nuke-sized charged shot is of such insane strength that you realize why, from a gameplay standpoint, he was delayed, and it is well worth it.  He makes bosses several times easier.

I have issues with X in X7 for far different reasons.  First of all, his getting shafted from cutscenes.  He rocks in gameplay despite any temporary absences, that doesn't bug me at all, but he never DOES anything storywise during the entire course of the 8 Mavericks, not to mention the fight with Red.  And second, he is so damn whiney that I'm almost glad the cutscenes shafted him.

Oh, and I do not agree that Zero spotlight-stole from X in X4-onwards.  In X5 and X6 Zero is a source of conflict, but he doesn't really have anymore character development than X does (in fact I think X6 was character-wise X's best game).  In X4 he did, but that's because it's his introduction as a player, being just now promoted to co-star it's kinda necessary.  Although, as with X7, X could have stood more cutscene time.

BURN, BURN, BURNED TO THE GROUND.
I love that part for some reason. 8)

WOOOOOOW.

I mean I always said it and thought things weren't as bad as they looked, but damn, this article is blunt. The line about Sonic Team being bored and close minded really hit home for some reason.
Well, they are.  By no means has Sonic Team lacked a good core concept, they've had several.  What they lack is polish, and unfortunately I think Journey of Dreams was a new low for them (granted I have not played Sonic '06).

Ironically I think Shadow The Hedgehog was among the more successful, quality-wise, of their recent efforts (besides Secret Rings, anyway).  Sure, you need to pretend the Vs. play doesn't exist, and that final boss fork makes unlocking the Last Story complete hell.  But the game handles well with a (usually) reasonable level of flexibility, and a proper focus on speed/platforming gameplay.  The weapons are, thankfully, an extremely simplified extra feature, so they don't take too much focus away, despite fears to the contrary fed by the game's horrid marketing.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #572 on: January 06, 2009, 06:19:25 AM
I was hoping that ShTH's multiple story paths would be reminiscent of Starfox, and thus highly enjoyable.

Pfft.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #573 on: January 06, 2009, 06:21:45 AM
Again, they WOULD have been if not for that last boss fork.  That was the killer.  It's completely pointless, and only serves to bore and antagonize the player as they're trying to unlock Last Story.  Thankfully Last Story is kickass, but after going through that it is VERY, VERY, VERY hard to convince yourself to replay any other segment of the game again.  That turned out counterproductive in the worst possible way; the game would have had so much more replay value if that last fork wasn't forced on you.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #574 on: January 06, 2009, 06:26:03 AM
And, don't forget:

Defeat 35 Artificial Chaos