Sonic Unleashed

Phi · 208494

Poll

Which version of Unleashed will you buy?

PS3
3 (9.7%)
12 (38.7%)
Wii
12 (38.7%)
PS2
4 (12.9%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #500 on: January 03, 2009, 04:39:29 AM
Dont bash the game just cuz you suck...

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #501 on: January 03, 2009, 04:41:06 AM
Well, it is your opinion, so I'm not entitled to try and bludgeon you for it, but I find the demo experience refreshing, at least after suffering playing though every [tornado fang]ing possible plot path imaginable for ShTH, getting 100% on Sonic Heroes, and losing 75% of my sanity with Sonic '06.  -_-

Typically I don't backlash at this, but the way this game is, DANG RIGHT YOU'RE NOT!

This game is just...terrible. IMO, there's absolutely no way the fans can let another game like this be made. Again, it'd probably be okay if it were slowed down and somebody did something with the camera. If I can, I'll see if I can't adjust that, and maybe that'll help. Maybe.

Dont bash the game just cuz you suck...

If that were the trinkets and shortcuts only, well, that'd be one thing.

But no, this game isn't even taking the right approach to mechanics, stage design, and fluidity that we've had decent amounts of, and now it's just gone! It's the principle!

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #502 on: January 03, 2009, 04:46:22 AM
The cameras fine, and the speed is what EVERY sonic fan has been begging sega for for years. now that you get it, you complain? pfft.
I for one, find it marvelous. the speed is exhilarating. and like Nexus said, when I die, i know it was because I sucked, not because I fell through the floor*coughcoughShadowtheHedgehogcough*
or because the game was badly programmed. it was because I didnt pay attention.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #503 on: January 03, 2009, 04:47:00 AM
I like Sonic Unleashed, but at the same time, I'm kind of looking up from a [parasitic bomb]-hole. I can kind of see where people are getting at, but at the same time, it seems as if their initial view-point lead them to it. Some were expecting an absolutely great game straight from the get-go, while others were thinking it was going to be absolute crap. I looked at it in the latter. It delivers the speed that's been missing, I actually enjoy how it's set-up, and it's fun dashing through the levels at insane speeds. Luckily it seems as if they put little exploration around that's needed since most of the medals are easy to collect on the main path, with a couple times needing a stop. Considering how long it's been since a console Sonic game came out with the idea and premise of running at sound-breaking speeds, I didn't really mind having to stop once in a while to do some looking around. The ability that was put in the 360 and PS3 versions (the constant use of Ring Energy whenever instead of small bursts) actually saved my life in a stage. I was dashing on the water and the whole time I kept missing land to go on and get more rings, but luckily a small group of rings would show up and keep the gauge going, and I was able to cross the giant water gap by hardly ever touching any land segments.

I even like the Werehog levels. Compared to DMC, there's a lot more you can do on the outset, and even more at the end. I don't know how many times I've used the same combos to rack up Style points in DMC and was freaking out like no tomorrow trying to change it up a bit with a very limited amount of crap I can do. In Unleashed, I've never used the same combo more than once in a row, and the list of stuff I'm able to do grows and grows and grows. What's even better is, I've found actual use for the attacks; some are stronger and good for hitting one enemy, while others are good for damaging everything around me. The game also has a nice level of difficulty so that it's not some kind of cake walk. It's hard enough to make you die a couple times, but at the same time, it's the kind of hard that when you conquer the challenge, it's just that much more rewarding.

Again, you have to understand where I'M coming from. After the crap I heard from even a die-hard Sonic fan from Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, and Sonic 360, I was really starting to think Sega had lost it's touch. I was even expecting this game to be total [parasitic bomb]. Same fan came over and showed me Unleashed though, and I was amazed. They had actually done something I liked on a console Sonic game, a damned miracle! I was even more worried about this game after the travesty that is Sonic Chronicles, a game I had ACTUALLY looked forward to! Personally, I think Sega's on the track back to Sonic fame, as long as they stick with what made the original games so great, something that can be seen in Unleashed.

One thing though: STOP MAKING SUPER SONIC FINAL LEVEL [parasitic bomb]! I don't even remember the last time you could activate Super Sonic whenever in a stage as long as you had the rings. They even did it to the portables, Sonic Advance and up had Super Sonic playable only in the final level!

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #504 on: January 03, 2009, 04:50:38 AM
The cameras fine, and the speed is what EVERY sonic fan has been begging sega for for years. now that you get it, you complain? pfft.

There is such a thing as too fast. Like how X8/MHX's graphics are too realistic.

As far as wall o' text there, there is a point where you say "Okay, the controls and timing differ from Sonic Adventure/Rush/etc.; no prob, I'll adjust." But you can't even do that for how much of the objective of the game has been so twisted.

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #505 on: January 03, 2009, 04:53:18 AM
There is such a thing as too fast. Like how X8/MHX's graphics are too realistic.

As far as wall o' text there, there is a point where you say "Okay, the controls and timing differ from Sonic Adventure/Rush/etc.; no prob, I'll adjust." But you can't even do that for how much of the objective of the game has been so twisted.

You sure about that? I've hardly played Adventure 2, yet I've adjusted to it just fine. Granted it's kind of odd how they set the homing attack to the same button as the boost, I realized why they did it when I got the aerial boost shoes. Realized and understood, just never really liked. Considering all of the other crap that Sonic's gone through, I think Unleashed was a damn fine game.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #506 on: January 03, 2009, 04:53:35 AM
Like how X8/MHX's graphics are too realistic.
wut?

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #507 on: January 03, 2009, 04:54:18 AM

wut?

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #508 on: January 03, 2009, 04:56:44 AM
You sure about that? I've hardly played Adventure 2, yet I've adjusted to it just fine. Granted it's kind of odd how they set the homing attack to the same button as the boost, I realized why they did it when I got the aerial boost shoes. Realized and understood, just never really liked. Considering all of the other crap that Sonic's gone through, I think Unleashed was a damn fine game.

And see, this makes no sense. Now they're changing a crucial mechanic to suit an upgrade.

That.
Is.
Not.
How.
Upgrades.
Are.
Designed.

wut?

Until after some trial and error, it's hard to tell what's solid ground, and what's not.

If it makes any of you happier (not that I give a ****), I'm giving the game another try.
It's still way too late before I see one of those Boost Rings, or anything, by then, I've already passed it.

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #509 on: January 03, 2009, 04:59:14 AM
And see, this makes no sense. Now they're changing a crucial mechanic to suit an upgrade.

That.
Is.
Not.
How.
Upgrades.
Are.
Designed.

Until after some trial and error, it's hard to tell what's solid ground, and what's not.

If it makes any of you happier (not that I give a ****), I'm giving the game another try.
It's still way too late before I see one of those Boost Rings, or anything, by then, I've already passed it.

So they changed it to a button that was 2 centimeters away, big deal. At least they didn't make it messed up and had one of the trigger or shoulder buttons activate each boost separately.

All this talk of Sonic Unleashes is actually making me want to play the game. Gotta take care of the night stages anyway since I've done just about all the day ones I can do.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #510 on: January 03, 2009, 05:01:04 AM

not really. well, not for me at least. I could see quite clearly what was stand onable and what wasnt. the exeption being pitch black, which is, well, pitch black.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #511 on: January 03, 2009, 05:02:35 AM
Think of it as it's own game, HyperSonic.EXE; don't compare it to the others or you won't stop grimacing because of what you're used to and your expectations.

not really. well, not for me at least. I could see quite clearly what was stand onable and what wasnt. the exeption being pitch black, which is, well, pitch black.

Same here, I could clearly tell what could be stood on and what couldn't.  :\

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #512 on: January 03, 2009, 05:03:03 AM
So they changed it to a button that was 2 centimeters away, big deal.

It is a big deal. It's been a double-jump to perform a Homing Attack since Sonic 3D Blast, it's intuitive since it's basically a second jump, and it certainly makes no sense now when you're training yourself to use that button for a "Boost".

They fixed something that wasn't broken to begin with (other than poor auto-targeting).

It's more of a problem in strange or "laboratory" stages, which has oddly lighted blocks and tiles. That's when spikes are most likely to show up, though.

Think of it as it's own game, HyperSonic.EXE; don't compare it to the others or you won't stop grimacing because of what you're used to and your expectations.

Again, that only works for the controls, and it's not doing that too well. The game still lacks in making it worthwhile to play, especially for all you have to put up with.

You guys can settle for less if you want, but if this is the future of Sonic, I need a new Username and avatar.
EDIT: Fortunately, I won't know that until Sonic Team's next project, which will be well after Sonic and the Black Knight.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #513 on: January 03, 2009, 05:13:15 AM
*dumps bucket of ice on hypersonic*
dude, chill out. chillax.

Personally, unleashed, is just what the doctor Eggman ordered.
its got only sonic, speed, which is what sonic games have been lacking since SHTHH, A kickass soundtrack, and a great engine, and easy controls. granted, I dont quite like the werehog, but Sega needs to make money, and they needed something innovative to sell it. since its only sonic, only speed, and just what we all wanted, we have to compromise, and have a gimmick. but at least the gimmick is enjoyable in its own right. its comparable, and makes me think of actually, knuckles. In fact, I often think that knuckles should be the one in the night segments with all those punches and stuff. make a wereknuckles instead. 8D he would be better suited for it. 8D 8D
anyway, even the PS2/wii versions are enjoyable, although the werehog levels are severely lacking in those versions, other than that. if you want less speed, try out the PS2/Wii version. it has less speed than the other version. it might appeal to you more than the 360/PS3 version.

It's more of a problem in strange or "laboratory" stages, which has oddly lighted blocks and tiles. That's when spikes are most likely to show up, though.
name any stages in particular.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #514 on: January 03, 2009, 05:15:25 AM
Well, things change. In this case, [the] Sonic Team(s) just couldn't make up it's/their damn minds on a consistent playstyle for the Sonic games, and tried jazzin' things up with other game types, characters, and practically throwing many things the fans used to like out the window and replacing them with more "modern" designs (Soap shoe discussion from just the other week, folks?) and unable to make up their minds on appealing to either younger or older gaming generations.

Sonic Team hasn't fallen, not yet, but few trust them in their endeavors anymore, so I think that Sonic might finally be nearing his closing chapters. I may be very wrong, but even with the "success," as some might say, of Unleashed, I just don't think anyone wants to chance another Sonic '06 and the like again.  :\

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #515 on: January 03, 2009, 05:18:57 AM
Well, Unleashed was initially going to be SA3, so maybe they should get on that? Maybe they SHOULD make an SA3. Id die happy.

also on that soap shoe discussion... SOAP SHOES FOREVARR!
ive seriously been trying to conceptualize a real pair of Shadow's air shoes. as in, with some manner of rollers on the bottom

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #516 on: January 03, 2009, 05:20:53 AM
Well, Unleashed was initially going to be SA3, so maybe they should get on that? Maybe they SHOULD make an SA3. Id die happy.
The way Sonic Team is acting now, I hope to hell they don't.

Offline BigManW

• Net Navi
  • Good versus evil has never been so stylish.
    • View Profile
Reply #517 on: January 03, 2009, 06:01:13 AM
I didn't even bother finishing, I was so horrified with what I was playing.
Same, I stopped after 5 minutes.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #518 on: January 03, 2009, 06:03:27 AM
Same, I stopped after 5 minutes.

... And you hadn't beaten the level, which is the very first level of the full game, by then?  :o

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #519 on: January 03, 2009, 06:09:53 AM
name any stages in particular.

X8: Dark Mantis, Gravity Antonion (I believe), Moon (although that was a bit easier)
MHX: Sigma Stages 2+ mainly, although Launch Octopus had one or two parts I had to remind myself about

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #520 on: January 03, 2009, 06:25:34 AM
X8: Dark Mantis, Gravity Antonion (I believe), Moon (although that was a bit easier)
MHX: Sigma Stages 2+ mainly, although Launch Octopus had one or two parts I had to remind myself about

Alright, my experience with X8 is lacking, but it's not the 3D that throws some off in MHX on those parts; it's the fact that the camera, fitted to the screen, must vertically scroll in those points. Vertical scrolling in MM/RM games tend to lead to annoyances, just look at the GB MM/RM games that replicated the levels but had vertical scrolling due to the screen resolution. In the original NES games, we usually had no normal vertical scrolling; you saw spikes as soon as they were on screen. When you add vertical scrolling though and have spikes off screen..  X(

(and note, that this was also in the original MM/RM X, so the vertical scrolling applies to it too)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #521 on: January 03, 2009, 12:12:23 PM
Dark manti's stage is SUPPOSED to be pitch black. in fact, its the NAME of the stage. you have to find your ay around and if you have the weapon, turn on the generator.
Primrose I had no problem with aside from the annoying miniboss.
only the moon gave me some problems at first with the pits, they WERE rather hard to see, but you could still see them. I had no problem with those stages. :\

Offline BigManW

• Net Navi
  • Good versus evil has never been so stylish.
    • View Profile
Reply #522 on: January 03, 2009, 10:22:22 PM
Gravity Antonion (I believe)
How exactly is a rotating neon purple labyrinth realistic in any way?

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #523 on: January 03, 2009, 11:03:20 PM

this makes no sense.

the game came in yesterday, so i've played for a couple hours now. i see what some people are complaining about from the demo, that its a little difficult to control. but honestly, you really think you're going to pick up something like this on the first try? [tornado fang] no. after spending just a little time with it, it's not all that hard. and passing judgment on the game having only played the demo is not healthy. does he move too fast in the speed stages? maybe. the solution, though? don't press the dash button unless you need to.

does the game move too slow in the Werehog segments. no, i think it's appropriately slow. and it's not snail's pace, either. you do know there's a dash, right? i don't mind the Werehog combat or platforming. nothing spectacular, but it plays well.

the dub actors are really overacting. but i almost think its on purpose, considering how crappy the plot is. the "Saturday morning" comparison comes to mind. and if you're really going to [sonic slicer] about the dub voices (which if you haven't already, why start here?), there is a language option on PS360.

is it a stellar game? so far, i don't think so. i think its a decent game based on the amount i've played (just beat the Egg Beetle). the problem here is that people are letting hype and expectations rule their opinions. you have to have a little more open mind with this game. honestly, if you're expecting to go fast in the Werehog stages, you shouldn't be playing the game at all.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #524 on: January 04, 2009, 03:37:24 AM
Hm? I think the Voice acting was alright. only ones that got on my nerves sometimes, were Weresonic, as sonics good ol VA seemingly tried his best to make sonic sound  more "savage" but didnt really come through, and sometimes Pickle.
I mean, Pollock(did I say it right?) does incredible justice to Eggman.