Sonic Colors (Wii, DS)

Klavier Gavin · 138414

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #525 on: July 29, 2010, 05:28:15 AM
Lol. I found 06 to be quite fun regardless. it was only Sonic's running segments which felt real bad, since well, youve seen how he can casually walk through a loop. His running segments felt like they had no real momentum to them. And they WERE rather forced.

though I found SHadow to be fun, and his vehicles handled how a proper vehicle should handle.

All in all, Shadows 06 gameplay was what STHH SHOULD have been.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Shinigami No Tekken

• RPM's resident kid-on-the-old-man's-lawn.
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Cool Story, Bro!
    • View Profile
Reply #526 on: July 29, 2010, 05:43:31 AM

though I found SHadow to be fun, and his vehicles handled how a proper vehicle should handle.

All in all, Shadows 06 gameplay was what STHH SHOULD have been.

That, and no guns. I mean, that was just plain unnatural.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #527 on: July 29, 2010, 11:41:44 AM
You don't usually play vehicle-based games, do you? I actually never found stuff more buggy than those cars/bikes. I ended up going on foot.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #528 on: July 29, 2010, 08:14:52 PM
Vehicles there had a hell of a lot more momentum than in STHH though. when it went forward, I actually felt like I was speeding up forward.

I have played car games. but Sonic isnt a car game. it has vehicles at some random points, but by no means is it car oriented.

in any case, each to his own. I like the vehicle handling in 06 much better than STHH

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #529 on: July 29, 2010, 08:18:49 PM
Vehicles there had a hell of a lot more momentum than in STHH though. when it went forward, I actually felt like I was speeding up forward.

I have played car games. but Sonic isnt a car game. it has vehicles at some random points, but by no means is it car oriented.

in any case, each to his own. I like the vehicle handling in 06 much better than STHH
It's not a car game, but it's got the responsibility of having vehicles that handle well with its terrain and levels, which it didn't. I can name quite alot of action games that had small vehicle sections that controlled far better than Sonic 06's ones. And the vehicles on Shadow the Hedgehog? That was pretty much Big Rigs tier.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #530 on: July 30, 2010, 01:24:16 AM
And the vehicles on Shadow the Hedgehog? That was pretty much Big Rigs tier.
Pssh, if only those segments were as entertaining as Big Rigs, maybe the game would have benefited :P

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #531 on: July 30, 2010, 01:44:58 AM
Pssh, if only those segments were as entertaining as Big Rigs, maybe the game would have benefited :P
Exactly. It was so bad it's bad, while Big Rigs was so bad it's good.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #532 on: July 30, 2010, 03:36:56 AM
The entire game would had been better if it had been scrapped or at least had taken out most of the Sonic cast. It was supposed to be Shadow the Hedgehog, not Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic and frineds complete with angst. The circus level was okay but most of the weapons, vechicles and the Chaos powers were unnecessary as well.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #533 on: July 30, 2010, 03:43:06 AM
Although Ill admit, Chaos controlling through levels at breakneck speed was pretty awesome.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #534 on: July 30, 2010, 03:50:13 AM
Although Ill admit, Chaos controlling through levels at breakneck speed was pretty awesome.
Irony itself that the two main special powers of the game are against the game itself, since if you use them, you'll either miss an objective or kill someone you shouldn't.

It's like a deep diving game having a special power that gives you water wings. 8D

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Cool Story, Bro!
    • View Profile
Reply #535 on: July 30, 2010, 04:16:01 AM
Irony itself that the two main special powers of the game are against the game itself, since if you use them, you'll either miss an objective or kill someone you shouldn't.

It's like a deep diving game having a special power that gives you water wings. 8D

Now that, my friend, was worthy of an internet.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #536 on: July 30, 2010, 03:01:00 PM
That game was so bad it made me turn off my Gamecube. Only game to ever make me do that. The only level I enjoy is Sky Troops, but never enough to actually pick the game back up.

Also, "My name is Shadow The Hedgehog and I'm going to destroy this DAMN planet!" and then Eggman dies to a karate chop. Wonderful.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #537 on: July 30, 2010, 05:55:35 PM
and then Eggman dies to a karate chop. Wonderful.
Oh God... I remember this. It was [tornado fang]ing hilarious.
Dammit... now I want to play this game again... BUT I HAVE NO WAY OF DOING SO! ;___;

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #538 on: July 31, 2010, 05:00:13 AM
Nothing will ever beat, "Where's that DAMN fourth Chaos Emerald?"

I reiterate that, gameplay-wise, there is no such thing as an enemy you should not kill.  If you've ignored one enemy of the "wrong" team, you're safe.  The occassional Chaos Blast doesn't get in the way of anything.  And I find it perfectly plausible that a character whose good/evil allegiance is player-dependent shall be depicted as a loose cannon.  There are certainly worse gameplay phenomena out there that fly in the face of storyline.  Ever go Laguz-slaying as Zihark in Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn?  And don't get me started on how MMX5's system completely contradicts the storyline rationale for X's and Zero's respective ranks.

That and there are neutral mission objectives in Shadow The Hedgehog, where you can just run for the goal and leave it at that, although taking them through the whole game gets you that stupid Shadow Android ending.  There's no question that the Last Story is better for having no missions and actually giving some focus to Chaos Control.  So, yeah, could have been better, could have been worse.  That's my take anyway.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #539 on: July 31, 2010, 08:26:45 PM
Nothing will ever beat, "Where's that DAMN fourth Chaos Emerald?"
There's way worse. Crap like "This is like taking candy from a baby, WHICH IS FINE BY ME" is like screaming "I AM SO EDGY".

I reiterate that, gameplay-wise, there is no such thing as an enemy you should not kill.  If you've ignored one enemy of the "wrong" team, you're safe.  The occassional Chaos Blast doesn't get in the way of anything.  And I find it perfectly plausible that a character whose good/evil allegiance is player-dependent shall be depicted as a loose cannon.  There are certainly worse gameplay phenomena out there that fly in the face of storyline.  Ever go Laguz-slaying as Zihark in Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn?  And don't get me started on how MMX5's system completely contradicts the storyline rationale for X's and Zero's respective ranks.

That and there are neutral mission objectives in Shadow The Hedgehog, where you can just run for the goal and leave it at that, although taking them through the whole game gets you that stupid Shadow Android ending.  There's no question that the Last Story is better for having no missions and actually giving some focus to Chaos Control.  So, yeah, could have been better, could have been worse.  That's my take anyway.
We've been over this [parasitic bomb]. Game sucks. Gameplay doesn't only NOT match the storyline, it doesn't match the [tornado fang]ing levels. End of story.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #540 on: August 01, 2010, 03:29:46 AM
Killing off a well known character like Eggman isn't a very good way to show how badass you are as is shooting a down a beloved childhood hero just to say, "I am cooler than Sonic and I use guns!"  -AC

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #541 on: August 01, 2010, 05:08:12 AM
At least ShTHH's cut scenes, (the CG ones) were beautifully done.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #542 on: August 01, 2010, 05:16:42 AM
Killing off a well known character like Eggman isn't a very good way to show how badass you are as is shooting a down a beloved childhood hero just to say, "I am cooler than Sonic and I use guns!"  -AC
The guns could have been an excellent mechanic if they didn't just pick the Heroes engine, smeared some [parasitic bomb] all over it and released it as a game.

At least ShTHH's cut scenes, (the CG ones) were beautifully done.
Sega always does good CG movies. It's the games that we worry about.

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Cool Story, Bro!
    • View Profile
Reply #543 on: August 01, 2010, 06:45:41 AM
if they didn't just pick the Heroes engine,

That was certainly a cheap move, in my opinion.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #544 on: August 01, 2010, 07:02:46 AM
I always thought the guns were a cool addition to the gameplay, and seemed to flow well in concept. However, it being a "Sonic" game kinda made it a little big of a departure most people were not willing to accept.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Cool Story, Bro!
    • View Profile
Reply #545 on: August 01, 2010, 07:14:09 AM
I always thought the guns were a cool addition to the gameplay, and seemed to flow well in concept. However, it being a "Sonic" game kinda made it a little big of a departure most people were not willing to accept.

The guns and the cussing were, in my opinion, a step in the wrong direction. I understand that they wanted it to have a dark theme to it, but that was just plain unnecessary. And is the reason why I'll probably never be able to get it.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #546 on: August 01, 2010, 01:25:00 PM
Since it was built up to be a Sonic game in the first place, and the guns were a tacked-on thing with the worst aiming I have ever seen in ANY game in my whole life, I really can't see that. Only if you're talking about in concept. I'd definetly take a game where Shadow throws away his sneakers and has a slower third-person shooter gameplay with occasional bursts of speed.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #547 on: August 01, 2010, 05:58:13 PM
I meant the concept of a quick character, who has a gun also.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #548 on: August 01, 2010, 09:13:04 PM
I meant the concept of a quick character, who has a gun also.
Concept-wise, it would be good. But it can't be implemented easily. Ever heard of any good story of a really fast guy with a gun? (and I do mean really fast, ala Shadow/Sonic. Not just the usual samurai dashing guy from whatever anime/game).

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Cool Story, Bro!
    • View Profile
Reply #549 on: August 03, 2010, 12:49:44 AM
Not just the usual samurai dashing guy from whatever anime/game.

Oh wait. You mean Zero? 8D