Sonic Colors (Wii, DS)

Klavier Gavin · 135300

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #550 on: August 03, 2010, 12:51:47 AM
Oh wait. You mean Zero? 8D
...what does he have to do with speed? Hell, what does he have to do with anything I just said?

Offline Shinigami No Tekken

• RPM's resident kid-on-the-old-man's-lawn.
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Cool Story, Bro!
    • View Profile
Reply #551 on: August 03, 2010, 12:53:32 AM
...what does he have to do with speed? Hell, what does he have to do with anything I just said?

I quoted:

"Not the usual samurai/dashing guy from whatever samurai/game."

Zero fits that description perfectly! Don't you see!?

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #552 on: August 03, 2010, 01:09:50 AM
whatever samurai/game."
...what?

Zero fits that description perfectly! Don't you see!?
No.

Back on topic.

http://www.sonicstadium.org/news/new-sonic-colours-wii-ds-screens-show-new-stage

New screenshots look good.

This one specially. You take one good look at that section, you can see it's got DAT 2D LOVE.

Offline Shinigami No Tekken

• RPM's resident kid-on-the-old-man's-lawn.
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Cool Story, Bro!
    • View Profile
Reply #553 on: August 03, 2010, 01:16:54 AM
...what?
No.

Back on topic.

http://www.sonicstadium.org/news/new-sonic-colours-wii-ds-screens-show-new-stage

New screenshots look good.

This one specially. You take one good look at that section, you can see it's got DAT 2D LOVE.

It was meant to be a joke. Whatever. Nice screenshots nonetheless.

Offline Klavier Gavin

• RPM Soldier
  • Einspruch!
    • View Profile
Reply #554 on: August 03, 2010, 05:44:38 AM
SEGA - Sonic Colors will not suffer from the 'Sonic cycle', gameplay has been 'nailed'

"For this title in particular, the team is confident that this is a game everybody can really enjoy. That's why we've offered a lot of hands-on for E3, and on this occasion as well. It's something that the team is really confident from the gameplay side. It's something that, this time, the team thinks they've nailed it - it's definitely not going through the Sonic cycle!" - producer Takashi Iizuka

Source

hurr hurr hurr 8D

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #555 on: August 03, 2010, 11:37:17 AM
SEGA - Sonic Colors will not suffer from the 'Sonic cycle', gameplay has been 'nailed'

"For this title in particular, the team is confident that this is a game everybody can really enjoy. That's why we've offered a lot of hands-on for E3, and on this occasion as well. It's something that the team is really confident from the gameplay side. It's something that, this time, the team thinks they've nailed it - it's definitely not going through the Sonic cycle!" - producer Takashi Iizuka

Source

hurr hurr hurr 8D
They'll need to give us less wall-crashing.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InNH7RhIl4Q[/youtube]

FFFFFFFF I ACTUALLY GOT AN INVITE FOR THIS EVENT BUT HAD TO SKIP IT

THEY SHOWED OFF EVERYTHING NINTENDO THEY HAD IN E3

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #556 on: August 04, 2010, 04:52:17 AM
FFFFFFFF I ACTUALLY GOT AN INVITE FOR THIS EVENT BUT HAD TO SKIP IT

THEY SHOWED OFF EVERYTHING NINTENDO THEY HAD IN E3

YOU HORRIBLE PERSON

GO HANG YOUR HEAD IN SHAME, YOU!

Seriously though, the gameplay looks tight. It seems they used all the good elements from the day stages of Unleashed.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #557 on: August 06, 2010, 07:03:58 PM
YOU HORRIBLE PERSON

GO HANG YOUR HEAD IN SHAME, YOU!

Seriously though, the gameplay looks tight. It seems they used all the good elements from the day stages of Unleashed.
I couldn't stand back then because of the pain, much less walk there.

Anyway, as you said, the gameplay actually looks like they're using some fluid speed increase instead of just giving Sonic a single speed and propelling him in one direction without being able to turn anywhere.

Plus the level design looks superior to Unleashed's. And the graphics are damn good.

Posted on: August 04, 2010, 05:07:46
NEW TRAILER, BOXART AND DETAILS, PEOPLE

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CNcdGQCo64&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

WHY DOES IT LOOK AND SOUND SO GOOD ARRRRRRRGH

We're heading for a massive dissapointment. This is hyping me SO MUCH.

Released November 16 on the US, and 12 in Europe, BTW.

Offline Klavier Gavin

• RPM Soldier
  • Einspruch!
    • View Profile
Reply #558 on: August 06, 2010, 07:07:17 PM
DAT CHEESY MUSIC

I'm diggin' that box art too. >.>

And November 16? Definitely better than Gamestop's tentative December release date.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #559 on: August 06, 2010, 07:23:34 PM
I think I'm the only one who does not like that song.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #560 on: August 06, 2010, 07:27:15 PM
Kotaku based the announcement post on how they don't like that song.

http://kotaku.com/5606449/sonic-colors-gameplay-excites-but-that-theme-song-has-to-go

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #561 on: August 06, 2010, 07:33:33 PM
Kotaku based the announcement post on how they don't like that song.

Ah. I did not see that! XD

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #562 on: August 06, 2010, 07:57:52 PM
I must have watched that trailer at least 4 times already. >_>

But yeah, not too crazy about the song either.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #563 on: August 06, 2010, 08:01:14 PM
It's not the lyrics that I have a problem with, cause cheesy lyrics are ALWAYS a plus for me. It's really just the singing itself, or lack of singing due to auto-tuner.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #564 on: August 06, 2010, 08:41:41 PM
I think I'll [tornado fang]ing slit my wrists if I have to listen to that song again.

I wonder if Sega's ever going to stop using the goddamn automatic loop-de-loops every 15-20 seconds per stage.  That's the main thing that makes me question what the level design is going to be like.  It looks the same as every other goddamn 3D Sonic game ever made.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #565 on: August 06, 2010, 09:31:07 PM
I honestly dont mind the song.
It's really just the singing itself, or lack of singing due to auto-tuner.
This is true however.
Also,

IS DAT SOME BALLOON BOUNCING?

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #566 on: August 06, 2010, 10:12:41 PM
IS DAT SOME BALLOON BOUNCING?

Yes, yes it is. S3&K will be referenced here.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #567 on: August 06, 2010, 10:43:06 PM
It's not the lyrics that I have a problem with, cause cheesy lyrics are ALWAYS a plus for me. It's really just the singing itself, or lack of singing due to auto-tuner.
Just think it's something like Daft Punk. Incredibly different, seeing as this band is kinda more bullshit punk, but this song in itself seems quite nice.

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #568 on: August 07, 2010, 12:58:30 AM
Game looks fine, theme music sucks.

They should have just used Tropical Resort's stage music.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #569 on: August 07, 2010, 02:41:52 AM
Oh, I don't know, Heroes saw worse.  I don't think it's terribly great, but it's decent enough.  Kinda reminds me of 3D Blast.

Every image of Tails is a F*@#ing cocktease.  If this game plays anywhere NEAR as good as it looks, I'll be raging that much more about his not being playable despite being featured in the damn debut trailer...

(I swear Tails has not had a remotely competent playable appearance since Adventure1)

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #570 on: August 07, 2010, 03:20:09 AM
Oh, I don't know, Heroes saw worse.  I don't think it's terribly great, but it's decent enough.  Kinda reminds me of 3D Blast.

Every image of Tails is a F*@#ing cocktease.  If this game plays anywhere NEAR as good as it looks, I'll be raging that much more about his not being playable despite being featured in the damn debut trailer...

(I swear Tails has not had a remotely competent playable appearance since Adventure1)
I actually really liked Tails' gameplay in SA2. Found it kind of an upgrade upon E-102's gameplay, minus the wheels (which I missed).

Still, I seriously don't think we should be asking for ANY Tails gameplay at all until we get a proper game with Sonic. After that, MAYBE we'll see.

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #571 on: August 07, 2010, 03:40:01 AM
I actually really liked Tails' gameplay in SA2. Found it kind of an upgrade upon E-102's gameplay, minus the wheels (which I missed).

For me, I didn't like the deal of Tails being stuck in that thing all game.  For Eggman, it worked out great because you don't get to play as him normally, and having him play like an upgraded E-102 was genius.  Tails should be out in the field flying and whatnot.  I had the opportunity to try 2006 a couple of weeks ago, and I almost cried when I found out that Tails' only method of attack was that stupid dummy ring toss from Heroes. *facepalms*

Still, I seriously don't think we should be asking for ANY Tails gameplay at all until we get a proper game with Sonic. After that, MAYBE we'll see.

Good point.  Once we get some truly solid Sonic gameplay, we can ask for Tails and Knuckles (and Metal Sonic!) as playables.  IMO, the last time they really had a grip on that was SA1/SADX, as the stages were wonderfully designed with exploration in mind, and no character was a drag to use.

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #572 on: August 07, 2010, 03:59:37 AM
For me, I didn't like the deal of Tails being stuck in that thing all game.  For Eggman, it worked out great because you don't get to play as him normally, and having him play like an upgraded E-102 was genius.  Tails should be out in the field flying and whatnot.  I had the opportunity to try 2006 a couple of weeks ago, and I almost cried when I found out that Tails' only method of attack was that stupid dummy ring toss from Heroes. *facepalms*

Good point.  Once we get some truly solid Sonic gameplay, we can ask for Tails and Knuckles (and Metal Sonic!) as playables.  IMO, the last time they really had a grip on that was SA1/SADX, as the stages were wonderfully designed with exploration in mind, and no character was a drag to use.
The Tails' stages from SA1, although working, weren't THAT good. Mostly because the flying was a bit awkward to control, and it felt very loose. If we could have levels actually made for Tails, with free flight and good gameplay, it would definetly work, the same way SA1 and 2's Knuckles levels were built specially for him, and when understood, his gameplay worked like a charm for each and every level.

I'd like to have Tornado stages as well. Stages which aren't just some damn QTE, I mean. I miss the Panzer Dragoon-styled levels from SA1.

But for now, Sega is doing what's important. They're focusing on Sonic and Sonic alone, which is what everyone wants. Give us a SONIC game, and after that, bother with the extra bells and whistles.

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #573 on: August 07, 2010, 04:09:07 AM
The only problem I had with Tails' stages in SA1 was that you were constantly being chased.  It wasn't a bad thing, but in a sense you couldn't explore because you were trying to outrun something.  I actually like SA1's stage design FAR more than SA2's simply because of the fact that the stages were a lot more open and different characters got to see different sides of it.  Sonic had one version of Emerald Coast involving a whale chase and a lot of other stuff, E-102 had a shortened version of Sonic's, and Big got to see a whole new segment of it altogether.  It's this same mechanic that made S3&K interesting to play (with Knuckles), as you get to see the story from multiple sides, not just in storyline, but aesthetically as well.

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #574 on: August 07, 2010, 04:56:47 AM
My only gripe with Tails in SA1 was that the levels were too short.  Due to the nature of racing the game can't load multi-part stages the way it does with Sonic.  The fact that you're racing isn't much of a letdown since the AI is fairly laid back (unlike, say, Sonic Rivals 2, which is abysmal).

Well, it's not that it's bad, it's just not Tails.  I don't buy the good-mirror-of-Eggman thing.  I know Tails is a handy mechanic, but I don't see him as piloting robots for his adventures.  He's supposed to be more hands-on.  For Eggman, it's awesome.

Making a good Sonic game and making repeated good Sonic games are two different things.  I'd rather Tails not miss his chance.

If we could have levels actually made for Tails, with free flight

That, right there, is the trap that Sonic Team keeps falling into.  It's where much of the current resentment towards Sonic's supporting cast comes from, because Sonic Team builds a whole new game mode around them, effectively leaving them as an intrusion to what the game should actually be.  It detracts from the focus of the title and is especially dangerous in Sonic titles, as slower characters get larger focus for the sake of easing level design.  A Tails-centric play style is not a bad idea, but it belongs in a spinoff game, not a Sonic game.  Talk Sega into a new-age Tails Adventure, and THEN we can talk about free flight and new level mechanics.  For a Sonic game, Tails' flight was ALWAYS clunky, was ALWAYS an on-the-side item, because that's where it belongs.  He runs, he jumps; bottom line: he's on the same adventure as Sonic.  He just has a nifty move to get him to out-of-the-way places easily.

I just don't agree with this idea that the road to success is a solo adventure.  It's boring.  Once upon a time, different characters could play in the same stages with abilities that were unique without completely breaking the basic style of the gameplay.  It's one of the things I liked about Black Knight.  Mario's done it to great success as well (SM64DS).  It adds a layer of personal preference to the game and enhances replay value.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)