LightningKitsune · 139916

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #700 on: September 05, 2010, 08:51:01 AM
Having not yet played Metroid II to completion (I know, it's shameful), the Power Bomb use had me stumped.  Wasn't as bad as the earlier mob, but really, it is a surprising break given that EVERY SINGLE OTHER ITEM USE IN THE ENTIRE GAME IS SPELLED OUT FOR YOU IN A POP-UP WINDOW, and the game's early cutscenes beat you over the head with why Power Bombs are not authorized, are not safe, and generally are just not something you should be setting off when there's an unarmed human in the next room.

As far as length, I believe that to be a state-of-gaming issue.  I curse that a 10-hour game is considered "not valuable enough" for a disc, and that replayability means nothing in this day and age hence the near-death of the platforming genre.  Yeah, it's short compared to Prime, but the game feels like it belongs in a faster pace.  You can only drag out a three-Sector space ship exploration for so long, plus there's post-game item hunting to kill time.  The game has an exceptionally cinematic presentation which very much lends credit to its "modern" gaming value.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #701 on: September 05, 2010, 08:52:18 AM
Thanks. I was mostly just trying to capture the raw feeling I have before it subsides and the opinion goes wishy washy.

tl;dr of that post: It's a good Metroid game, but it's honestly not worth $50, especially not with how rapidly it can be blazed through, even while dicking around to find upgrades (such as what I did.) It's honestly worth a rent. Metroid fans will probably find more joy out of it because of all the throwbacks and references, but will be very much put off by how linear and hand-holdy the game is, even more so than Metroid Fusion.

EDIT: As for replayability, it's something I considered too, given how short it is, but at the same time, I don't feel compelled that it's worth another playthrough. The game relied pretty heavily on the story to pace things along. Strip that out and, while the adventure is now MUCH faster, you're still screwed by the lack of true exploration and utilization of items. Most of the fun of replaying the earlier Metroid games, and even Zero Mission and Fusion, was finding what sorts of stupid stunts you could pull off to create sequence breaks to get things earlier than you should or to shorten your time radically.

While time shortening is an option, the others aren't.  There's also hard mode, but the prospect of almost all late-game enemies and bosses being able to kill you in one hit makes the whole idea of playing it far too tedious than its worth.

That, and you get nothing for beating it outside of hollow bragging rights.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #702 on: September 05, 2010, 08:54:50 AM
Well, I dunno about it being shorter than the Prime games. It certainly felt shorter, but looking back on it I finished the Prime games in about the same time length.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #703 on: September 05, 2010, 09:00:44 AM
You might be right on that.  I'll have to check my MP1 records sometime.

Oh and on boss rehashes:
[spoiler]Ridley is always awesome, and I loved the cutscene of Samus in shock, Anthony covering for her, Adam trying to snap her out of it.  Truly the game's finest moments.  Phantoon was cool, but the fact that he's the highest challenge of the game is kinda sad.  Queen Metroid is awesome for appearance, she really deserves to show up again, but she goes down too easily.  This isn't X6 Sigma, she doesn't have the excuse of being halfway brain dead.  Nightmare, I was not impressed by.  Though I've completed Fusion, I'm not a huge fan of it, and like the volcano run, the Nightmare battle is one of those moments when you really have to wonder why Samus delays activating suit upgrades and puts up with all the crap she does.

You know, I just noticed, the four rehashed bosses are one from each "numbered" Metroid game.  Yay.[/spoiler]

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #704 on: September 05, 2010, 09:22:25 AM
I can vouch that the game's length was on par with the Primes. My first completion of the first two Primes was around the 10 hour mark, and my first run of Prime 3 was actually really quick, maybe around 8 hours. Other M clocked in at 12 hours.

I don't plan on playing Hard mode as I'm not a fan of low% challenges, and you don't get anything from it. But I will play the game again at least once. With every Metroid I play again with the knowledge of where the items are so I can cut the time down. But I'm a speedrunner, so yeah.

It's [tornado fang]ing dumb that the cutscenes are still added to your time even if you skip them.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #705 on: September 05, 2010, 09:38:55 AM
It's [tornado fang]ing dumb that the cutscenes are still added to your time even if you skip them.
FF9 had that same problem; another reason it's difficult to get Excalibur II in that.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #706 on: September 05, 2010, 12:50:22 PM
For me, there's an incredible flaw in terms of story.

[spoiler]Adam.

It's like they want you to hate the guy as much as they can with pretty much the entire game and Samus' daddy complex, along with the authorization process.

Than out of nowhere, they make him die a heroic death just like that. What the [tornado fang]?[/spoiler]

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #707 on: September 05, 2010, 12:53:21 PM
I wonder how the game was received in Japan?

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #708 on: September 05, 2010, 09:04:48 PM
[spoiler]Adam.

It's like they want you to hate the guy as much as they can with pretty much the entire game and Samus' daddy complex, along with the authorization process.

Than out of nowhere, they make him die a heroic death just like that. What the [tornado fang]?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I don't see it that way. Adam never came off as someone to hate, even though there was a chance he was the Deleter at one point. He's harsh, but that's how he's always been. Maybe it's because I played Fusion and read the manga first, but I could tell that Adam was doing what he was doing for a good reason. I could tell before the game told you. It's tough love.[/spoiler]

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #709 on: September 05, 2010, 10:22:52 PM
Same.

also, two of the forced scans had me there for a good while, wondering WTF I had to do.
[spoiler] The green blood. It is green blood, on green grass. I didnt notice it until the pointer went on it by pure chance.

The bugs before the wasp thing battle. I was supposed to look for those beetle like things? really? I didnt know that! I acually thought my game glitched and i was stuck! I actually reset my game and loaded back up.

Also, the metroid Queen Power bomb thing. yeeeeah. I dont know why they even game you that breif bit of shooting her stomach when all it takes is a power bomb in the stomach. And I didnt know that at first either. having watched videos of 2, I knew that you had to morphball into her stomach and bomb it, but I was laying regular bombs and I would end up dead. I tried using a power bomb and then  it suddenly worked to my surprise.[/spoiler]

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #710 on: September 05, 2010, 10:50:38 PM
[spoiler]I don't see it that way. Adam never came off as someone to hate, even though there was a chance he was the Deleter at one point. He's harsh, but that's how he's always been. Maybe it's because I played Fusion and read the manga first, but I could tell that Adam was doing what he was doing for a good reason. I could tell before the game told you. It's tough love.[/spoiler]
Felt like a schmuck, and the Varia Suit deal sealed it.

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #711 on: September 06, 2010, 01:22:24 AM
Hard mode beat!  Unfortunately...
[spoiler]You can't do final chapter, so no hard mode phantoon[/spoiler]

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #712 on: September 06, 2010, 02:25:56 AM
One more reason for me not to do it.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #713 on: September 06, 2010, 02:47:56 AM
Hard mode beat!  Unfortunately...
[spoiler]You can't do final chapter, so no hard mode phantoon[/spoiler]
Seriously?  Wow.
[spoiler]Maybe that would explain why other bosses are such pansies compared to Phantoon, since you're not realistically expected to single-Tank him (though I'm sure it could be done with practice).  It's bad enough that "Hard mode" is just "this is what would happen if you sucked at finding items", but to trim the game length down as well?[/spoiler]
Moronic.  No other way to describe that; even Inticreates didn't sink that low with their difficulty levels.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #714 on: September 06, 2010, 02:51:04 AM
So basically a bigger difficulty level means less game, huh?

That's [tornado fang]ing stupid.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #715 on: September 06, 2010, 03:00:06 AM
Felt like a schmuck, and the Varia Suit deal sealed it.
Samus is no better than Adam, though.
[spoiler]How do you excuse delayed activation of the Gravity Suit when she already took it upon herself to activate Space Jump and Screw Attack, the latter not being really necessary in any way?[/spoiler]
At the end of the day, it's just game mechanics; you need to experience what obstacles your suit upgrades are countering before they're utilized, or the experience turns awfully shallow.  But there are better ways they could have gone about it.  Since Samus was bizarrely conservative enough to leave 90% of her crap unactivated before she even knew Adam was there, they could have had her store that stuff in a remote location, like her ship, had it damaged, and have Adam or one of his troops work to recover/transmit it.  Would have been a lot more plausible.

Offline CephiYumi

• RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #716 on: September 06, 2010, 03:08:19 AM
In hard mode you also take way more damage and most of the bosses and other attacks 1-hit you

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #717 on: September 06, 2010, 04:01:12 AM
but I assume that with the sense motive, it makes Hard mode much easier no?

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline CephiYumi

• RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #718 on: September 06, 2010, 04:14:30 AM
Well I still messed up a lot and some moves are hard to predict

[spoiler]Ridleys on ground tail swipe actually made him challenging, and only two of his moves don't 1-hit you, the wall scrape grab and his combo claw swipe (but if the first one hits you the second will more than likely hit you as well)[/spoiler]

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #719 on: September 06, 2010, 05:01:50 AM
Samus is no better, though.
[spoiler]How do you excuse delayed activation of the Gravity Suit when she already took it upon herself to activate Space Jump and Screw Attack, the latter not being really necessary in any way?[/spoiler]
At the end of the day, it's just game mechanics; you need to experience what obstacles your suit upgrades are countering before they're utilized, or the experience turns awfully shallow  But there are better ways they could have gone about it.  Since Samus was bizarrely conservative enough to leave 90% of her crap unactivated before she even knew Adam was there, they could have had her store that stuff in a remote location, like her ship, had it damaged, and have Adam or one of his troops work to recover/transmit it.  Would have been a lot more plausible.
I'm guessing that at first she doesn't really feel like she has to leave every single armament on her suit turned on. Probably wastes power or something.

I'm guessing that it's like leaving the safety on a gun. As for the gravity suit, I'm guessing she unlocked it when she felt she needed it the most or something. Or it's a hack explanation, I dunno.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #720 on: September 06, 2010, 05:48:51 AM
shes just so tough that she doesnt mind going through gravitational anomalies. Only when shes [spoiler]about to get sucked into space[/spoiler] does she say "god damn I need this [parasitic bomb] now!"

Which reminds me, that part is my favorite part.

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #721 on: September 06, 2010, 06:26:02 AM
[spoiler]"Oh [tornado fang], oh [tornado fang], oh fuuuuuuu--

(black screen)

ACTIVATE GRAVITY SUIT!

(thud)

And suddenly space pirates clinging to floors and walls for dear life.[/spoiler]

Golden.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #722 on: September 06, 2010, 06:27:38 AM
[tornado fang] you Amazon shipping. Thanks to you, I have spoiler tags I'm inching around just to not spoil my Other M surprise. XD

Offline Klavier Gavin

• RPM Soldier
  • Einspruch!
    • View Profile
Reply #723 on: September 06, 2010, 06:29:57 AM
[spoiler]"Oh [tornado fang], oh [tornado fang], oh fuuuuuuu--

(black screen)

ACTIVATE GRAVITY SUIT!

(thud)

And suddenly space pirates clinging to floors and walls for dear life.[/spoiler]

Golden.

Indeed.

[tornado fang] you Amazon shipping. Thanks to you, I have spoiler tags I'm inching around just to not spoil my Other M surprise. XD

Gamestop that [parasitic bomb] next time. 8D

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #724 on: September 06, 2010, 06:32:43 AM
Gamestop that [parasitic bomb] next time. 8D

I should have, but delicious 20 bucks off my next game purchase sounded so good to me especially with the massive load of awesome games headed our way in Q4 2010. XD