Metroid Discussion Thread

LightningKitsune · 140075

Offline Rayl

• The Missing Piece
  • Resistance Member
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
Reply #650 on: September 03, 2010, 02:43:31 PM
It was bound to happen i suppose :p Any Objections Adam?

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #651 on: September 03, 2010, 02:44:58 PM
[spoiler]"None Samus, now go hunt that [chameleon sting]er that killed 2/4ths of my men."[/spoiler]

>.>'

<.<'

*goes back to watch some more House MD, Season 3*

Amusingly, I find fun similarities between Samus and Dr.Cameron, or i'm very sleep deprived and a natural idiot like always hoho~

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #652 on: September 03, 2010, 10:50:46 PM
Had to post this:

Haha. she better have made her point! That was funny.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #653 on: September 03, 2010, 10:55:05 PM
Now unless this game gets plenty of sequels like Prime, we're not gonna see a Metroid game for a long time. ;_;

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #654 on: September 03, 2010, 11:03:39 PM
Sadly.

Hmm. They could always go back to that ship that followed Samus after Prime 3... Make a sequel to this one, (although with the events of super and this game, it would be tough to bring back mainstays like Ridley and his pirates without some contrived explanation. (one that DOESNT involve Federation experiments going awry.)

Or they could explore after fusion. this kind of story driven metroid would work to explain what happens after Fusion- as long as like Hyper has said again and again- they bring back the power suit. Which wouldnt be too hard either. have her loose all her [parasitic bomb] like usual, maybe on a chozo planet, and when she collects it, she also gets a brand spankin' new power suit. (Hey, Zero mission did it. and Samus somehow made her suit go back to normal after Prime 3)

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #655 on: September 03, 2010, 11:38:39 PM
Metroid 5 would be the obvious perfect choice. It would have to be either on the DS or 3DS.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #656 on: September 04, 2010, 12:00:04 AM
I want my Dread.

Just beat the regular story. The game surprised me, it's really good. Not my favorite Metroid, but there's really nothing wrong with it. Linear as hell, but it was expected from a game that takes a lot from Fusion, and I don't really mind. I do miss collecting upgrades, but at least authorization is a good replacement for losing your [parasitic bomb] in the beginning. Adjusting to the controls took very little time, but if a sequel is made, I hope their hardon for the Wiimote subsides. The game could benefit from an actual dodge button and a more conveniently placed Morph Ball button. The game looks fantastic, especially the non-spaceship areas. And I liked the story too. The twists at the end were nice. Though, unless I'm missing something, they [tornado fang]'d up by saying Samus was never part of a military operation after becoming a bounty hunter. Happened in Prime 3.

[spoiler]I'm still in shock and confusion that that white fuzzball with the chicken legs was Ridley. How the [tornado fang] did that happen?[/spoiler]

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #657 on: September 04, 2010, 04:39:17 AM

[spoiler]I'm still in shock and confusion that that white fuzzball with the chicken legs was Ridley. How the [tornado fang] did that happen?[/spoiler]

Bwahaha, I think we ALL wondered that.

on that note-
[spoiler] Is it possible that it followed Samus around because it recognized her? and thus followed her and went on growing? the first encounter would make it seem so. it runs away at first- probably on instinct, but then sits there staring at Samus. [/spoiler]

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #658 on: September 04, 2010, 04:54:21 AM
Though, unless I'm missing something, they [tornado fang]'d up by saying Samus was never part of a military operation after becoming a bounty hunter. Happened in Prime 3.

Or maybe they didn't if you know what I mean.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #659 on: September 04, 2010, 04:55:04 AM
Bwahaha, I think we ALL wondered that.

on that note-
[spoiler] Is it possible that it followed Samus around because it recognized her? and thus followed her and went on growing? the first encounter would make it seem so. it runs away at first- probably on instinct, but then sits there staring at Samus. [/spoiler]
It's just a clone.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #660 on: September 04, 2010, 08:30:05 AM
Doesnt mean much. depends on how cloning works in here. Some sci fi has clones retaining memories (or some, anyway...) he DEFINITELY had SOME sort of recollection of her,  not only with the creepy way he stared at her, but by the way he behaved at sector 3. He sure seemed to recognize his nemesis.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #661 on: September 04, 2010, 03:54:55 PM
Now unless this game gets plenty of sequels like Prime, we're not gonna see a Metroid game for a long time. ;_;

Well there's always Zero Mission, Super Metroid, and Triology to keep you busy until the next Metroid game.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #662 on: September 04, 2010, 04:08:48 PM
Well there's always Zero Mission, Super Metroid, and Triology to keep you busy until the next Metroid game.
I know, replaying them. Still, it would have been nice to see another chapter of Samus' life, seeing how eager they are to flesh out a story now.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #663 on: September 04, 2010, 04:27:37 PM
Well here's to hoping! By the way, I hardly ever touched Echoes in my Triology game since I got it (I mainly got for MP3), so maybe I get on that soon as I can put down Sin and Punishment: Star Successor or a bit.

Offline Rayl

• The Missing Piece
  • Resistance Member
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
Reply #664 on: September 04, 2010, 07:51:32 PM
Well here's to hoping! By the way, I hardly ever touched Echoes in my Triology game since I got it (I mainly got for MP3), so maybe I get on that soon as I can put down Sin and Punishment: Star Successor or a bit.

*curls into a ball and starts sobbing at the mention of MP2*

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #665 on: September 04, 2010, 09:37:20 PM
Oh please. Just because it was the Return of the Jedi of the Metroid trilogy, it doesn't mean people should treat it like cancer.

Funny thing with games and gamers. Games are either the absolute and most blissful thing of all time, or they're the [tornado fang]ing plague and must be hated and shunned. Middle grounds are nowhere to be seen.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #666 on: September 04, 2010, 09:40:31 PM

METROOOIIDDD.. PPRRRRIIIEMMMM 222!!! DIDIN'T MEAN TO MAKE YOU CRY, I JUST WISH I WAS NEVER BEEN BORN AT ALL, CARRY OON, CARRY ON, IT DOESN'T REALLY MATTER.. Tttooo mmmeee..

On a side note, how did the Metroid Prime Trilogy became comparable to the Star Wars Trilogy?

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #667 on: September 04, 2010, 10:00:55 PM
Hey, I'm middle ground with MP2. I have a lot of nitpicks with it, but that didn't stop me from playing it 100% 4 or 5 times.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #668 on: September 04, 2010, 10:05:03 PM
Funny thing with games and gamers. Games are either the absolute and most blissful thing of all time, or they're the [tornado fang]ing plague and must be hated and shunned. Middle grounds are nowhere to be seen.

They're actually everywhere to be seen. You're just referring to the internet.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #669 on: September 04, 2010, 10:16:21 PM
They're actually everywhere to be seen. You're just referring to the internet.
Whenever a group of several gamers (non-closest friends) come together, they BECOME the Internet.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #670 on: September 05, 2010, 02:53:15 AM
Adjusting to the controls took very little time, but if a sequel is made, I hope their hardon for the Wiimote subsides.
I don't mind the game being Wii-remote only, but my one gripe with controls is how they handled the Grapple Beam.  They used a "switch" mentality rather than a "hold" mentality as pretty much every other Metroid game has done, which screwed me up a few times.  Further, initiating it requires first-person view, while there are a few times (mainly in the lava area) where keeping the Wii remote in that position will botch your landing.

I have mixed feelings about item authorization.  It works for anything potentially destructive.  Samus is joining a military operation, so she has to play by their rules.  They regulate weapons, as any organized outfit should.  And you certainly don't want to accidentally Power Bomb a survivor, or even a corpse that could have given you clues.  But the Varia Suit, Gravity Suit, and Space Jump?  They have ZERO destructive potential.  It makes no sense with them.  And shouldn't the Ice Beam be considered Samus's equivalent to the GF freeze gun?  Adam authorizes that for all troops when they're deployed, yet leaves Samus with the regular Power Beam.

But I can't really lay all of that at Adam's feet.  Recall, the only things Samus ever deactivated on Adam's say-so were Bombs, Missiles, and Power Bombs.  In other words, she of her own accord, was taking a pretty minimalist approach even before meeting with Adam, using no Ice/Wave/Plasma Beam, no Space Jump, no Screw Attack, no Varia/Gravity Suit, no Speed Booster, no Super Missile, and no Grapple Beam (although to be fair the opportunity for that one didn't really come up).  The one appearance of the playable Zero Suit falls into the same vein here; there was no necessity.  Apparently Samus just likes treating life-or-death situations as training, or something.

Majorly spoilerific story comments:
[spoiler]We could have stood some more specific closure as to the traitor.  It seems to be James, who got his at the hands of the Metroid Queen (the "missing" soldier would be the one that the game showed being tossed into lava with no witnesses).

But then, wasn't a shot fired while Adam was in the command room?  Yet when Samus retrieves his helmet, the flashback simply shows him running off in response to Samus meeting Melissa.  This is after that gunshot, so what happened that both Adam and his attacker walked away?  Further, Melissa herself met with a GF soldier.  But if James previously tried to kill her...what was going on?

I'm also sensing some SERIOUS conflict of canon between this game and the existing Metroid continuity, especially Prime 3.  Other M clearly treats Mother Brain as not simply controlling the Metroids but the leader of all Pirates.  MP3, however, while it did not specifically reference Mother Brain, pretty much beat the player over the head with Aurora Unit references, including the Space Pirates capturing an Aurora which then functioned as a boss, and images of an "Aurora complex" that was very obviously Tourian.  The clear implication is that Mother Brain is in the same boat.  Further there are Space Pirate logs referencing a Pirate Command, and, if the Pirates cannot function without Mother Brain leading them, how could they have possibly resuscitated her after the original Metroid?  And why exactly does Other M treat the Space Pirates as being synonymous with Zebesians?  Zebes was a Chozo settling ground, to say nothing of Samus's freaking home, before the Pirates ever arrived there.  By the same token I find it difficult to believe that the Pirates survived the loss of Zebes once, but couldn't survive it again.  Why would any race capable of inter-planetary travel go extinct from the loss of one planet?

While it may not mesh perfectly with the series, the game on its own has a pretty great story.  I especially loved Ridley's appearance in this game.  Was epic in every sense, seeing Samus in shock, watching a rare instance where a "partner" tries to cover for her.  I was actually relieved at finding Anthony alive at the end; I felt a lot of sympathy for him.  I do kinda wish that something more could have been done about the GF jerks who actually supported the whole Bioweapon project, but I guess leaving them at large is kind of necessary for the lead-in to Fusion.

The ending of the game seems give the impression that this is a story first and a game second.  It's awkward that the "true" story is not revealed until after Queen Metroid, the last real fight before the credits.  And I use that term loosely, because she's a joke.  The only thing remotely challenging about her is dealing with the swarm of her kids; once that's done, she's cake.  Phantoon was much tougher, although the "extra" final boss being a rehash who authority-wise falls well below Ridley doesn't make the biggest bang in the world.  Was awesome nonetheless, though, I just feel that the game lacks a properly climactic final battle.[/spoiler]

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #671 on: September 05, 2010, 03:07:25 AM
Whenever a group of several gamers (non-closest friends) come together, they BECOME the Internet.

PAX proves that wrong, for me anyway.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #672 on: September 05, 2010, 03:14:44 AM
PAX proves that wrong, for me anyway.
Because they're being well entertained and monitored by complete exciting awesome. But get them together, bored, in a regular environment, talking about games freely, and you'll find out otherwise.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #673 on: September 05, 2010, 03:17:52 AM
Because they're being well entertained and monitored by complete exciting awesome. But get them together, bored, in a regular environment, talking about games freely, and you'll find out otherwise.

LoL, why would I want to hang around boring people? And what do you describe as a regular environment, cause I've met gamers & talked to them in bars, here at work, Nintendo World, etc., and they seem fine to me.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #674 on: September 05, 2010, 03:22:06 AM
LoL, why would I want to hang around boring people? And what do you describe as a regular environment, cause I've met gamers & talked to them in bars, here at work, Nintendo World, etc., and they seem fine to me.
Maybe fanboys around here are a little bit more annoying and common than the ones around there. I know very few "fair" gamers in real life, and have met very few as well.

...hell, I punched a guy in the face at Video Games Live because he wouldn't stop asking me if I liked mudkips.