New Super Mario Bros. Galaxy 2 Wii Turbo Edition

HyperSonicEXE · 141157

Offline Dexter Dexter

• Utterly jaded
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I was born with this face...
    • View Profile
Reply #525 on: March 23, 2010, 12:28:12 AM
Speculation of Rosalina's appearance aside, I think that the NSMB-style world map would be better than the hub world. [parasitic bomb]'d be cash.

SAMPLE TEXT

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #526 on: March 23, 2010, 12:58:47 AM
Speculation of Rosalina's appearance aside, I think that the NSMB-style world map would be better than the hub world. [parasitic bomb]'d be cash.

And that's probably what Nintendo was thinking about, from the jump.

NSMB and its "Wii-cessor" were smashing successes because of their simplicity, fun and "easy-to-get-into-ness". A hub world would more than likely do more to confuse some people who just want to "get to the next stage immediately, like they could in NSMB. So, it's likely that the fact that NSMBWii was going to debut first probably lit up a few lightbulbs on how to do smart design that would garner more casual gamers. And for the rest of us, it'll just end up being more streamlined.

Besides, as some one else brought up on GAF, the "hub world" has done a lot to outlive its usefulness, as far as 3D Mario is concerned. It was awesome in 64, and it did a lot to help you learn the controls and orient yourself, playing as Mario in a 3D world. But since then, it's not as "special" any more, and it's only done more to get redundant as time goes on.

So, for the sake of, again, streamlining, I can dig this.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #527 on: March 23, 2010, 01:00:52 AM
I think people just miss hearing the "BA BA BA BABABA" when they jump into the paintings.   8D

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #528 on: March 23, 2010, 02:13:45 AM
And that's probably what Nintendo was thinking about, from the jump.

NSMB and its "Wii-cessor" were smashing successes because of their simplicity, fun and "easy-to-get-into-ness". A hub world would more than likely do more to confuse some people who just want to "get to the next stage immediately, like they could in NSMB. So, it's likely that the fact that NSMBWii was going to debut first probably lit up a few lightbulbs on how to do smart design that would garner more casual gamers. And for the rest of us, it'll just end up being more streamlined.

Besides, as some one else brought up on GAF, the "hub world" has done a lot to outlive its usefulness, as far as 3D Mario is concerned. It was awesome in 64, and it did a lot to help you learn the controls and orient yourself, playing as Mario in a 3D world. But since then, it's not as "special" any more, and it's only done more to get redundant as time goes on.

So, for the sake of, again, streamlining, I can dig this.

And that brings up another point.

Peach's Castle. Delfino Plaza. Comet Observatory.
...a Mario-head planet? Really? When there's already another one?

In addition to keeping the player from reaching the meat of the game, Mario hub worlds also have to have a level of grandeur to be respectable. They are very fun to mess around in, always have, always will. These places become iconic; it takes a lot of dev time and resources to make one. Especially when you consider it needs to be glitch-free, any interactivity, and of course having to compose music that keeps the player satisfied for an exceeding period of time.

The key reason for it was probably time-waste elimination.
But, there is still the Mario planet. Mario must somehow access the Galaxy Map. I believe there will be a "hub-world", just not a large, or traditional hub-world. You'll probably talk to that one big blue Luma, and he'll show you the Galaxy Map. Most Mario hub-worlds take time to traverse, and have individual portals to each level. This one may be smaller and have only one entry point, so Nintendo didn't call it a "hub world".

As long as I don't have to walk to everything like SMW and NSMB forever and ever, I'm okay...

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #529 on: March 23, 2010, 11:41:37 PM
Let's have a level list where you choose the stage and it warps you there! Wait, hasn't that already been done... in a series that used to be good?

Or they could at least do a classic Crash-style hub, that was small and simple, but still functional.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #530 on: March 24, 2010, 01:34:09 AM
Let's have a level list where you choose the stage and it warps you there! Wait, hasn't that already been done... in a series that used to be good?

Or they could at least do a classic Crash-style hub, that was small and simple, but still functional.

After beating the game, you could choose your level from a list in the GBA version of Super Mario World. And of course we know of SMW2:YI's level select.

Mario is still good, although sales of the console games (see: anything that's not SMB1) have solidly declined. It's not deserved, though; Galaxy was still a great game. Sunshine was too, even with its faults.

And the Crash style is more or less what this may be, but with only one entry point.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #531 on: March 24, 2010, 02:51:50 PM
The problem I see with hub worlds in reference to Mario is that the one in Galaxy was pretty much entirely pointless.  There was nothing to do there at all except run around aimlessly between levels.

Mario 64 (and Sunshine to a lesser extent) actually had things for you to DO in the hub worlds.  Peach's castle was chock full of secret crap for you to hunt down, and while Sunshine's wasn't nearly as inspired, at least there was SOME stuff for you to do.  The Comet Observatory had virtually no purpose except for level entrances.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #532 on: March 24, 2010, 04:29:56 PM
Well that's true, it certainly didn't have the same amount of extra tasks you could fulfill as the other 2.

Still, you had the Green Star galaxies, the Prankster Comet Luma you could feed to get those moving, the Red Star power and the 1-Ups those got you, Rosalina's Storybook in the library, the Luigi/Mailtoad interaction, and some other fun things you could do that kept it from being a total bore.

Like Star Bit Hit-and-Runs. 8)

Also jumping on Rosalina to find out she has that very convenient barrier! Mmmm.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #533 on: March 24, 2010, 07:57:13 PM
This is why Bowser will never kidnap Rosalina.  He'd just bounce right off.

The Other Side

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #534 on: March 24, 2010, 08:29:45 PM
I forgot about that in SMA2, and in Yoshi's Island. I was actually referencing the old Spyro games...

Still, I agree that the Comet Observatory was not as interactive as the previous hubs.
Peach's Castle let you explore fully in 3D and talk to Toad, and also you got to talk to Yoshi when you got all stars.
Delfino Plaza was much better; you got to ride Yoshi, swim around, spray the Piantas if you wanted... in fact it was probably as close to an open-ended world as we've seen in a Mario game. Seeing as there was just as much interactivity in the main levels as well.
Comet Observatory had everything you mentioned and... well unless you got to fly around it was boring after that. But there were lots of levels!

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #535 on: March 24, 2010, 09:43:47 PM
This is why Bowser will never kidnap Rosalina.  He'd just bounce right off.

Strange though how he was able to completely sap the Comet Observatory (and effectively Rosalina) of their power, but yet didn't kidnap her or didn't even think to wipe her and the Lumas out entirely so that they didn't come back to bite him later. Makes you wonder what his game is, trying to only kidnap Peach in SMG2.

1) He's either NOT messing with Lumas/Rosalina so that she's blissfully unaware of Mario World's events, basically leaving him alone.
2) Going back into space is Bowser's way of trying to lure her back to Mario World because he messed up the first time, and this time he plans to do everything the right way. And when you consider how close he was to being rid of Mario at the beginning of SMG1, and all the failures he's had in the past, I don't blame him!

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #536 on: March 24, 2010, 09:47:01 PM
Bowser's main quality: Persistence. Even in BIS, he had that. Well there's that, and pure stubbornness. Which was demonstrated repeatedly in BIS.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #537 on: March 24, 2010, 11:09:31 PM
http://kotaku.com/5501000/super-mario-galaxy-2-logo-has-a-little-friend

So a Luma's tagged onto the main logo? A red one at that. Normally I wouldn't find that so suspicious, but...red? If it were yellow or even Mario's apricot Luma from 1, I wouldn't think about it, but...red?

Is this an indicator that the Lumas (and possibly Rosalina) are a permanent part of the series? Or is this just a piece of promotional art, nothing more?

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #538 on: March 24, 2010, 11:19:10 PM
Well, it's Galaxy 2. They wouldn't completely ignore such vital components of the original Galaxy.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #539 on: March 24, 2010, 11:21:39 PM
Sure, but to get title logo space? That, to me, implies a lot more than just heavy involvement in the Galaxy line.

But then again, he's not there on the boxart, so this is probably just promo art.

Offline Jazz Shaking

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #540 on: March 31, 2010, 08:28:41 PM
New Super Mario Galaxy 2 Trailer.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqw4LP2nL64[/youtube]

Rock Mario  powerup anyone?

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #541 on: March 31, 2010, 08:38:45 PM
ROCK MARIO LOOKS AWESOME! 

Offline Irgendein

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #542 on: March 31, 2010, 08:43:53 PM
Ah, so that's what the Mario Planet is for. Looks awesome.

Also, I wonder when we'll get to hear more of the new music.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #543 on: March 31, 2010, 08:53:09 PM
He steers his Mario Planet head with a Golden Ship Steering Wheel.  SOLD!

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #544 on: March 31, 2010, 09:43:17 PM
GORON MARIO LOOKS AWESOME! 

DO IT RIGHT GODDAMNIT! XD

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #545 on: March 31, 2010, 09:44:08 PM
So that's what that is; it's both the hub world AND the gateway to the world map! Sweet! Also, returning power-ups (Bee Mario, Boo Mario, Rainbow Mario) and new ones (Rock/Goron Mario).... This is shaping up to be quite epic!

Actually, I think a Goron might try eating Rock Mario...

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #546 on: March 31, 2010, 11:07:01 PM
I think every video game character needs a ball form now

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #547 on: April 01, 2010, 03:51:59 AM
He steers his Mario Planet head with a Golden Ship Steering Wheel.  SOLD!

Fool! You were already sold! These are the kinds of things that bring bartering of firstborn children into the mix! 8D

Any way...VERY impressive. And good on them, making a planetoid "hub" that you drive out to the galaxies. A month and some change can't go any faster...  0v0

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #548 on: April 01, 2010, 04:06:12 AM
Fool! You were already sold! These are the kinds of things that bring bartering of firstborn children into the mix! 8D

I meant sold on the idea of the floating Mario head planet piloted like a Pirate Ship!  LoL, the game sold me as soon as it was announced!   8)

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #549 on: April 01, 2010, 05:25:14 AM
*crosses fingers for non-timed fireflower*

The Other Side