New Super Mario Bros. Galaxy 2 Wii Turbo Edition

HyperSonicEXE · 141392

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #500 on: March 04, 2010, 04:56:42 AM
I really want a communist propaganda style poster with Mario in these colors flying in the air looking all evil.

Who doesn't?  WHO, I ASK YOU!

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #501 on: March 04, 2010, 05:30:13 AM
Clearly everyone because it does not exist yet. :|

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #502 on: March 04, 2010, 05:40:04 AM
Well then we need to Communistically force someone to do this for Mother Russia!

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #503 on: March 04, 2010, 09:28:23 PM
IN MOTHER RUSSIA, PICTURE DRAWS YOU!

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #504 on: March 09, 2010, 10:03:44 PM
I asked Freakazoid if he wanted to go to the Yakov Smirnov Film Festival with me.
And he said...
No.
"CLOOOOOOOOOOONE!"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5d1XpPXTb4[/youtube]

SMW ATHLETIC!!! 0v0

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #505 on: March 09, 2010, 10:07:43 PM
Hey, Yoshi might actually pull it off this time, plus tips on how to deal with two bosses~

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #506 on: March 09, 2010, 10:26:50 PM
Yeah. Also, classic music in classic-themed stage. Midway point ripped straight from NSMBWii (no problem with that). This is the game to beat all games.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #507 on: March 10, 2010, 12:00:14 AM
Yeah. Also, classic music in classic-themed stage. Midway point ripped straight from NSMBWii (no problem with that). This is the game to beat all games.

Yeah, I had to stop and think on that midpoint there, like, "...was this in SMG1?" So fluid.

I...don't know if I could call this the 3D Mario to beat all 3D Marios, just yet. I know I'm a bit biased since there's a severe lack of Rosalina, but I'd kinda like to see a game with Koopalings or Rosalina joining Mario and Co. permanently or something about somebody's parents and/or the past or Bowser's wife, or some sort of big twist not maybe in this game but in perhaps SMG3 that has better-to-picture perfect gameplay that does more to impact the series before slapping a crown on it.

EDIT: But if there isn't an SMG3 and this game does all of the above, then by all means, crown it.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #508 on: March 10, 2010, 12:13:54 AM
Decent ideas, but I think that's bit "busy" for what should be a 3D Mario platformer, first and foremost. But hey, that's what the "spin-offs" are for. I'm going to be campaigning hard, until Bowser and/or his family get their own game.

Doki Doki Panic-style game, with Jr and the Koopalings taking center stage? "CardBoard Bowser", with his kids being his various partners for the adventure at hand?

Skies the limits! ^_^

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #509 on: March 10, 2010, 12:24:39 AM
Really only need one of those plot points; too many cooks spoil the broth. And again, the Koopalings need a rest, now, what with NSMBWii and all.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #510 on: March 10, 2010, 12:35:30 AM
Really only need one of those plot points; too many cooks spoil the broth. And again, the Koopalings need a rest, now, what with NSMBWii and all.

And it's most likely they might show up in an odd-numbered year in the future; first appearance was SMB3, then SMW, Yoshi's Safari, roll in the GBA, M&L:SS, the occasional cameos in the spinoffs, and more recently, NSMBWii.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #511 on: March 10, 2010, 01:50:55 AM

Why do they need a rest when they, quite literally, just re-appeared? And with re-designs, no less? For all sakes and purposes, they've been re-launched as "new additions" to the fold and introduced to a new generation of gamers.

Give me another "mainstream" game, or even a spin-off/RPG appearance, and then I would be more willing to relent. But I'm not about to do so when I can more than likely count on seeing GYAT. DAMN. BABIES. in another (spin-off) game some time soon, much less continue to tolerate the presence of other second-string characters like Petey, Waluigi and Daisy for this last decade and some change.

But hey, turn-about is fair play! Let's talk about Rosalina, shall we? She just did appear in Mario Galaxy, then the following year's Mario Kart Wii, and you can more than likely can count on seeing her again in MG2. Furthermore, I wouldn't be surprised if she becomes a regular in Mario sports games before they would even think about say, Captain Syrup.

Still, ol' girl is in no danger of being "over-exposed", right...? owob

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #512 on: March 10, 2010, 01:58:34 AM
While I agree with you, I'm currently preoccupied by waiting for that "communist propaganda style poster with Mario in these colors flying in the air looking all evil" to quote STM.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #513 on: March 10, 2010, 06:40:35 AM
Why do they need a rest when they, quite literally, just re-appeared? And with re-designs, no less? For all sakes and purposes, they've been re-launched as "new additions" to the fold and introduced to a new generation of gamers.

Give me another "mainstream" game, or even a spin-off/RPG appearance, and then I would be more willing to relent. But I'm not about to do so when I can more than likely count on seeing GYAT. DAMN. BABIES. in another (spin-off) game some time soon, much less continue to tolerate the presence of other second-string characters like Petey, Waluigi and Daisy for this last decade and some change.

But hey, turn-about is fair play! Let's talk about Rosalina, shall we? She just did appear in Mario Galaxy, then the following year's Mario Kart Wii, and you can more than likely can count on seeing her again in MG2. Furthermore, I wouldn't be surprised if she becomes a regular in Mario sports games before they would even think about say, Captain Syrup.

Still, ol' girl is in no danger of being "over-exposed", right...? owob

Lol'd at the babies part.

Captain Syrup got comparatively plenty of face time in Wario Land: Shake It! (and the rest of the Wario Land games). Waluigi hasn't even been in a decent part of a game. Daisy was captive once. Let's get these second tiers AND the Koopalings in a good old fashioned Mario RPG that isn't Mario and Luigi, which is now kinda tired. Let's have another 3 Member Party with Mario, Luigi, Donkey Kong, Peach, Wario, and Yoshi, with Waluigi and Daisy as optional party members. That makes 8 people; perfect counter number to the Koopalings and Junior, then the last battle is Bowser and his latest plot against 2 teams of 3 Star Children. No babies. That takes care of everyone's respectable face time.

Rosalina? Over-exposed?
Never! 0v0

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #514 on: March 10, 2010, 03:37:09 PM
All this talk makes me realize just how much I miss Super Mario 64.

Can Bowser and Mario just have it out mano a mano again like the old days?

In particular, I could go without seeing Junior again for the rest of my life.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #515 on: March 11, 2010, 03:13:50 AM
I dunno, I think Junior's more or less proven himself in the NSMB games.  Basically, he's a way to open up more frequent boss fights without having to kick Bowser's tail too many times in the same game (be honest, dunking him in lava every four stages probably wouldn't fly anymore these days).  I also liked the NSMB(DS) concept of facing both as a tag-team and watching Bowser get pissed off when Junior's down.

Bowser's certainly badass enough to stand out without his kids, though.  That is, of course, why we have Bowser's Inside Story.

Let's get these second tiers AND the Koopalings in a good old fashioned Mario RPG that isn't Mario and Luigi, which is now kinda tired. Let's have another 3 Member Party with Mario, Luigi, Donkey Kong, Peach, Wario, and Yoshi, with Waluigi and Daisy as optional party members. That makes 8 people; perfect counter number to the Koopalings and Junior, then the last battle is Bowser and his latest plot against 2 teams of 3 Star Children. No babies. That takes care of everyone's respectable face time.
I'm not sure that DK belongs in that group.  His connection to Mario is pretty loose.  Yeah, he's still in Kart and RPG, but when it comes to platforming DK stands alone.  His main concerns are food and friends, and frankly, I don't think Bowser should be having issues with a big ape.

Speaking of which, I'm not sure one will be topping Bowser's Inside Story when it comes to Bowser vs. the Bros. in an RPG.  Not that I WOULDN'T like to see such a title, but the RPGs are usually the ray of hope for Bowser himself to see some play time, and seeing him as the final boss against a party of more than two characters calls for some external power-up, meaning we'd likely get some "Bowser-derivative" as is often the case in M&L anyway.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #516 on: March 11, 2010, 03:34:10 AM
Basically, he's a way to open up more frequent boss fights without having to kick Bowser's tail too many times in the same game (be honest, dunking him in lava every four stages probably wouldn't fly anymore these days).
Wasn't that what the first 7 kids were for?  (Though that didn't stop Super Mario Bros. 3 from making you fight BOOM-BOOM once or twice every world.)  But I guess 8 kids is cool too.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #517 on: March 11, 2010, 03:37:56 AM
Well, from SMB3 onwards Mario games got substantially longer than they used to be, hence Boom Boom, Reznors, Kamek, etc.

But yeah, pretty much.  NSMBWii simply presents Jr. as the "ringleader" of the kids, and segregates him a bit by setting him as "boss" of the airship levels rather than any actual towser/castles, which the original 7 dominate.  I think that was a pretty successful merger.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #518 on: March 22, 2010, 10:43:27 PM
New news, that may not be what everybody wants to hear. But here we go!

We first speculated on it last month, but now it's confirmed: Super Mario Galaxy 2 will abandon the hub worlds featured in the plumber's other 3D adventures in favor of a traditional world map. Shigeru Miyamoto explains, "You can think of it in terms of something similar to Super Mario World or New Super Mario Bros. Wii, where you will have a rather convenient map to navigate."

He continues, "We want players to focus on the joy of the action instead of getting to each game course. We wanted to make it as accessible as possible and as easy as possible for the players. Also because we’re going to incorporate a number of different stars and conquering all the stars is going to be one of the most challenging missions for the player, we want them to understand as easy as possible where they should go next and which places they should go back to in order to get access to the remaining stars."

- http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/03/22/mario-galaxy-2-map.aspx

Me? Personally, this doesn't hurt me that much. If there was any "weakest link" in Galaxy in my eyes, it would be the hub world. It just didn't have the whimsy that 64's castle gave me, and by the time I completed the game once, I would have been happier with a "level select" of some sort any way.

So, far as I'm concerned, it's better to go back to the style of 3/World/YI one more again, especially if they bother to load it up with hidden secrets and the like. Plus, if the story facet is being tossed by the wayside any way, then this likely won't affect much else. Won't be surprised if the Toads and other character interactions are still to be found within the castles themselves.

Additionally, maybe this might be a thing that benefits Yoshi. After all, maybe it could be a thing that he could stand to be an "item" that could be "stored" on the map select, so that you could opt to go into a stage with or without him. Or maybe he'll just a pussy and refuse to enter into some select stages, like back in World.  XD

But basically, I guess I'm alright with this. But what of you guys?

Offline Dexter Dexter

• Utterly jaded
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I was born with this face...
    • View Profile
Reply #519 on: March 22, 2010, 10:47:12 PM
Does this mean we won't see Rosalina?

SAMPLE TEXT

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #520 on: March 22, 2010, 10:59:14 PM
We know story is going to be minimized, but I still think we have plenty of reason to see her again.

Maybe...just maybe...? Bowser finally sees that Rosalina might be a possible better catch than Peach, and realizes that she'd be perfect to "see what life is like on Jupiter and Mars".  8D 8D

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #521 on: March 22, 2010, 11:02:34 PM
In other words, hold my hand Ben!   8)

Yeah, I've got no problem with this at all.  Like I said, I just hope that the worlds include more of Communist Flying Mario.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #522 on: March 22, 2010, 11:06:48 PM
The weakest link in Galaxy was massive number of stars and galaxies that were not fun to revisit. I'm specifically thinking of the sand, Freezeflame, Honeyhive and Gold Leaf, and Deep Dark galaxies. They were forced, they felt forced, and it showed in the gameplay.

As for Rosalina, the elimination of a hubworld means nothing. Her comet had already long taken off, anyway, and you know there will be one or two Lumas that will reference her. And if she's not in 2, she's gotten way too much attention to not become a permanent member in 3. The Grand Finale galaxy really foreshadows the idea that she will make Mario World her home world along with some Lumas.

she'd be perfect to "see what life is like on Jupiter and Mars".  8D 8D

On a related note, I still believe Rosalina, having her wand and a number of Lumas, attacks, and other possible equipment, in addition to all the monsters and worlds that space can provide, would make an excellent Action-game heroine to ride the wave of NGS, GoW, Bayonetta, DMC, etc.

Offline Ike-Mike

• Protoman: "Nein!"
  • Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #523 on: March 22, 2010, 11:15:30 PM
Good to see that one of the original SMG's accepted flaws is being adressed.
I never saw the point on why I was supposed to traverse a level to get to all the other levels anyway.

This really puts my hopes up that SMG2 will be even better than the first and even then I think SMG is the greatest game of all time.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #524 on: March 22, 2010, 11:30:00 PM
The hub-world didn't bug me in the least, in fact the ability to fly through as communist-colored Mario made it a fun way to get wherever you wanted to go.  Now if the red stars WEREN'T there, I'd have probably hated it, 'cuz all the warp-arcs would get tedious and what have you.  But if Galaxy 2 had an open hub with Yoshi Wings, that'd damn well be good enough for me.

So far as the "weakest link" goes, I'm with Aldo.  The strongest point of a first-time Galaxy playthrough is that level progression is reasonably quick.  Then you defeat Bowser and realize you only have half the stars, and once you're done back-tracking, the later 1/3+ of the stages crawls along at Sunshine's pace.  If somebody decided to honestly put only 3 or 4 stars to a world, that could be the best thing to happen to 3D Mario (even better than a proper power-up system, and we all know how much I [sonic slicer] about that).  "Mario sandboxing" was fun when 3D was new, but two console generations later Nintendo needs to ease up a little and offer better variety.  More levels rather than more stars.