Ancient Theories/Fanon

The Great Gonzo · 91660

Offline Rock Miyabi

• THE ORIGINAL Jammin' Ninja
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
    • Miyabi on dA
Reply #450 on: October 29, 2009, 01:47:02 AM
I'm presuming this does not include TimeMan and OilMan?
You presume correctly. They were never part of any Megamix chapters, even though Ariga had drawn them before. Same as how he had drawn some of the RM7 RMs in art posted on his site before, but they never had any official manga time until Gigamix. Who knows, there's still a chance he might include them in these future Gigamix volumes.

Here's all the pre- and post-manga extras, then. Go ahead and peruse/translate what you'd like, marsh:

Previously was K.G. Inafunbags, Captain Heady, Damon Gant, and the guy who liked the blue bomber solely for the reason that he was blue.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #451 on: October 29, 2009, 05:37:25 AM
Even if that might be the case at the most basic level. Remember that it was also quite an extensive addition. There were originally no ideas for new bosses until Inafune went and designed them himself, creating new bosses weapons and a weakness order to go with it. Only with all that already done for them by the "father of Rockman", did they go ahead and implement them.

Overall, their inclusion meant that Rockman Rockman had two additional bosses and two additional stages, stage enemies, two music tracks, two boss weapons and a weakness cycle to go with it. It also meant two more playable characters were added. Overall, TimeMan and OilMan contributed to a considerable amount of new content that was added to the game.

I feel that after the release of Rockman Rockman, it would only be fitting to start including these two as part of the group, both in the games and in additional material. If not in Gigamix's new stories, R9's Megamix also could have had a role for them, what with the shown conflict of old and new Right Numbers. Especially since Ariga has already drawn up designs for them... (TimeMan's is quite cool, OilMan not so much.)
wasnt there a "classic mode" without them? (I dont know.. never played the game)

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #452 on: October 29, 2009, 06:24:23 AM
Yeah, I haven't been able to find many videos of classic mode, but as I understand it, it zooms out the playing field to use the exact same layouts as the original game, but it uses the same character models and physics as the new style, so enemies and bullets don't pass through walls and stuff.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #453 on: October 29, 2009, 07:38:15 AM
Yeah, Time Man and Oil Man aren't in classic mode, meaning the weakness rotation goes back to the way it was.

Offline marshmallow man

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #454 on: October 29, 2009, 07:01:11 PM
Here's all the pre- and post-manga extras, then. Go ahead and peruse/translate what you'd like, marsh:

You spoil me, Miyabi. Thanks for these beautiful scans!

You're right about the Megamix pages, they're just teaser story synopses about the older chapters.

The letter is from Ryuuji Higurashi, and talks briefly about his childhood memories of Bombom comics and how he was happy to be working with Ariga for the first time during R20's production and how they had fun and future generations should enjoy Rockman and yadda yadda. The Wily picture is from him, summarized as a "what would an Ariga style Wily look like if drawn by Capcom artists?" pic. Pretty cool. He ends with a B&C anecdote about how he got his arse handed to him in Rockboard one time, and so took revenge in Battle & Chase by tearing it up with the Pop'n Beat. I know what he means, that's probably my fave car body, and the only one I can consistently beat Wily with on Level 4.

I have trouble reading Ariga's handwriting, but basically the "Atogaki (Afterward) Gigamix" comic tells the story about how he had been trying to get these two stories published nearly a decade ago but for various reasons was unsuccessful until now.

Nothing much about Breakman or game story here. Oh well.

Koshinda (his publishjer)

Do you mean Kodansha?

Who knows, there's still a chance he might include them in these future Gigamix volumes.

I'm kinda hoping so too.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #455 on: October 30, 2009, 04:30:29 AM
Do you mean Kodansha?

Yeah, those guys, I guess.  That's not a name I'll remember accurately for a long while, I think.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #456 on: October 31, 2009, 07:58:33 PM
My copy of TOGTMM arrived today, and it's just as interesting as I hoped it'd be.  8)

Megaman 1:

* Dr. Jerome Wily was apparently turned evil by a chemical explosion in his basement laboratory. (That, or it was the straw that broke the camel's back)

* Bombman's bombs are made out of "plastique". Plastic/plasticine?

* S. Smith, to General K. Watson, notes that Megaman is "superior" to humans in many aspects. Oh dear.

* Cutman is also known as "Clipper Head".

* "The Mega Man Project" is said to be quite promising.

* Megaman is said to have complete freedom of direction. Doesn't explain why he can't duck.

* Robot Masters are always referred to as "super robots", in MM1 and beyond. Another thing that carries over from the MM1 coverage is the maps; they look like they were drawn on a computer running ASCII (if it wasn't an OS, just bear with me).

* Their recommended order (and Capcom's) is Cut, Guts, Elec, Ice, Fire, and Bomb.

* Defeating the final boss is described as "destroy[ing] his spaceship and then Dr. Wily himself". So much for the Three Laws.

* Megaman's default weapon is called the "Plasma Cannon".

Megaman 2:

* Wily was banished from "his beloved Monsteropolis". Dr. Wright, after Wily grovelled a bit, sent him some robot parts out of sympathy. Derp derp, Dr. Wright, derp derp.

* The resulting robot apparently built from those parts and the remains of Wily's super robots. Its capabilities were "crude", but over time Wily refined it; during one winter, it constructed the MM2 RMs. (Could this be Protoman or Enker?)

* Wily returns to Monsteropolis and stations his castle in the middle of it.

* E-Tanks are "Energy Crystals".

* The Items are (in order) the Levitation Platform, the Jet Sled, and the Elevator.

* Metalman's weapon is the "Metal Gear". Heh heh.

* The Mechadragon scared the crap out of the author; Guts-Dozer is "one of the most amazing creatures you'll meet".

* Suggested order is Air, Metal, Bubble, Heat, Wood, Crash, Flash, and Quick. Sounds about right.

Megaman 3:

* Forgot to mention this, but pics from MM3 are used to preface all the chapters. In fact, apart from the enemy and boss thumbnails, MM3 is the only game whose illustrations the guide uses.

* Dr. Wily was sentenced to life imprisonment on the farm colony of Agri 4 after MM2. He underwent Neurotransmitter Therapy while there, which of course worked SO well.

* Resources such as oil and timber have fallen low, and Megaman's job is to destroy robots that hoard/steal them.

* Doc Robot vanishes from Dr. Wright's lab on 1/6/2043; it's presumed to be the leader of the MM3 RMs.

* Megaman's slide is described as a "Strider-style" move. Who knew that Megaman once trained under Strider Hiryu, eh?

* Rush was built so that Megaman could more easily traverse the various mining areas. The interview says that Rush's brain was modeled after that of a Malamute puppy (and that he caught a buried a mail truck once).

* Suggested order is Top, Shadow, Spark, Magnet, Hard, Gemini, Needle, and Snake.

* Breakman is training Megaman.

* The Yellow Devil MK. II is called the Cyclops (and it's the same as the one from MM1, apparently).

MMGB1:

* K. Watson is now the President of Earth. Buh? (Also, S. Schwartz seems to want to have Wily shot/lobotomized)

* The areas overtaken by the first set of RMs are a shopping center, an amusement park, "buildings", and a factory.

* Wily was once director of the Industrial Museum, and he had the foresight to build a base underneath it.

* Enker is simply "Mega Man Hunter" here. Poor bastard didn't even get a proper name.

* The stages aren't elaborated on; I guess they ran out of time, or the stages are similar enough to their NES counterparts that it doesn't matter (I haven't played MMGB1).

End of book interview:

* They got around Megaman's lack of vocal chords by hooking Megaman to a video terminal.

* When Dr. Wily stole the other MM1 RMs, Megaman was getting a tune-up and oil change. Lucky him. (He jokes about hiding in a broom closet instead)

* Megaman admits that Rush isn't as bright as he hoped.

* Megaman had the chance to see rough drafts of The Official Guide to Megaman.

* Mega asks readers to look out for future games. I guess that, at some point, they stopped being historical simulations.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #457 on: October 31, 2009, 08:03:25 PM
Mind if I mirror these notes on my site?  I'm planning to make my own, but it's always nice to have a starting point.

Offline Keno

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #458 on: October 31, 2009, 08:03:49 PM
Ariga has already drawn up designs for them... (TimeMan's is quite cool, OilMan not so much.)
I've never seen those. Do you have them handy?

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #459 on: October 31, 2009, 08:17:18 PM
Mind if I mirror these notes on my site?  I'm planning to make my own, but it's always nice to have a starting point.

Not at all. :) Always glad to help.

I've never seen those. Do you have them handy?

http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo172/General-RADIX/ariga_Diary060920.jpg?t=1257016606
http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo172/General-RADIX/ariga_Diary061125.jpg?t=1257016592

Here ya go.

Offline Keno

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #460 on: October 31, 2009, 08:17:34 PM
* The stages aren't elaborated on; I guess they ran out of time, or the stages are similar enough to their NES counterparts that it doesn't matter
They're not really.

(I haven't played MMGB1).
Why the [tornado fang] not? The GB MM games are so awesome.

http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo172/General-RADIX/ariga_Diary060920.jpg?t=1257016606
http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo172/General-RADIX/ariga_Diary061125.jpg?t=1257016592

Here ya go.
Oh yea, I remember seeing Oil Man. I think it was before he'd colored it. He does look dumb. This is my first time seeing the Time Man picture, & I love it.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #461 on: October 31, 2009, 08:18:44 PM
Why the [tornado fang] not? The GB MM games are so awesome.

I just don't have a copy (and I doubt Gamestop does either).

Offline Keno

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #462 on: October 31, 2009, 08:19:22 PM
Just steal it on the Internet. If Capcom didn't want you to they'd've released the GBA MM Collection.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #463 on: November 01, 2009, 07:40:34 AM
My copy of TOGTMM arrived today, and it's just as interesting as I hoped it'd be.  8)

[spoiler]Megaman 1:

* Dr. Jerome Wily was apparently turned evil by a chemical explosion in his basement laboratory. (That, or it was the straw that broke the camel's back)

* Bombman's bombs are made out of "plastique". Plastic/plasticine?

* S. Smith, to General K. Watson, notes that Megaman is "superior" to humans in many aspects. Oh dear.

* Cutman is also known as "Clipper Head".

* "The Mega Man Project" is said to be quite promising.

* Megaman is said to have complete freedom of direction. Doesn't explain why he can't duck.

* Robot Masters are always referred to as "super robots", in MM1 and beyond. Another thing that carries over from the MM1 coverage is the maps; they look like they were drawn on a computer running ASCII (if it wasn't an OS, just bear with me).

* Their recommended order (and Capcom's) is Cut, Guts, Elec, Ice, Fire, and Bomb.

* Defeating the final boss is described as "destroy[ing] his spaceship and then Dr. Wily himself". So much for the Three Laws.

* Megaman's default weapon is called the "Plasma Cannon".

Megaman 2:

* Wily was banished from "his beloved Monsteropolis". Dr. Wright, after Wily grovelled a bit, sent him some robot parts out of sympathy. Derp derp, Dr. Wright, derp derp.

* The resulting robot apparently built from those parts and the remains of Wily's super robots. Its capabilities were "crude", but over time Wily refined it; during one winter, it constructed the MM2 RMs. (Could this be Protoman or Enker?)

* Wily returns to Monsteropolis and stations his castle in the middle of it.

* E-Tanks are "Energy Crystals".

* The Items are (in order) the Levitation Platform, the Jet Sled, and the Elevator.

* Metalman's weapon is the "Metal Gear". Heh heh.

* The Mechadragon scared the crap out of the author; Guts-Dozer is "one of the most amazing creatures you'll meet".

* Suggested order is Air, Metal, Bubble, Heat, Wood, Crash, Flash, and Quick. Sounds about right.

Megaman 3:

* Forgot to mention this, but pics from MM3 are used to preface all the chapters. In fact, apart from the enemy and boss thumbnails, MM3 is the only game whose illustrations the guide uses.

* Dr. Wily was sentenced to life imprisonment on the farm colony of Agri 4 after MM2. He underwent Neurotransmitter Therapy while there, which of course worked SO well.

* Resources such as oil and timber have fallen low, and Megaman's job is to destroy robots that hoard/steal them.

* Doc Robot vanishes from Dr. Wright's lab on 1/6/2043; it's presumed to be the leader of the MM3 RMs.

* Megaman's slide is described as a "Strider-style" move. Who knew that Megaman once trained under Strider Hiryu, eh?

* Rush was built so that Megaman could more easily traverse the various mining areas. The interview says that Rush's brain was modeled after that of a Malamute puppy (and that he caught a buried a mail truck once).

* Suggested order is Top, Shadow, Spark, Magnet, Hard, Gemini, Needle, and Snake.

* Breakman is training Megaman.

* The Yellow Devil MK. II is called the Cyclops (and it's the same as the one from MM1, apparently).

MMGB1:

* K. Watson is now the President of Earth. Buh? (Also, S. Schwartz seems to want to have Wily shot/lobotomized)

* The areas overtaken by the first set of RMs are a shopping center, an amusement park, "buildings", and a factory.

* Wily was once director of the Industrial Museum, and he had the foresight to build a base underneath it.

* Enker is simply "Mega Man Hunter" here. Poor bastard didn't even get a proper name.

* The stages aren't elaborated on; I guess they ran out of time, or the stages are similar enough to their NES counterparts that it doesn't matter (I haven't played MMGB1).

End of book interview:

* They got around Megaman's lack of vocal chords by hooking Megaman to a video terminal.

* When Dr. Wily stole the other MM1 RMs, Megaman was getting a tune-up and oil change. Lucky him. (He jokes about hiding in a broom closet instead)

* Megaman admits that Rush isn't as bright as he hoped.

* Megaman had the chance to see rough drafts of The Official Guide to Megaman.

* Mega asks readers to look out for future games. I guess that, at some point, they stopped being historical simulations.[/spoiler]
Oh wow... What is this... XD

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Keno

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #464 on: November 03, 2009, 10:55:47 AM
What exactly does TOGTMM stand for?

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #465 on: November 03, 2009, 01:17:44 PM
What exactly does TOGTMM stand for?

The Official Guide to Megaman.

Offline Keno

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #466 on: November 04, 2009, 07:06:47 AM
What's that?

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #467 on: November 04, 2009, 10:09:10 AM
That book that's been discussed on the last few pages of this topic?

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #468 on: November 07, 2009, 08:47:48 PM
Finally got the Official Guide.  So much of the old fanon is based off it.  Mandi Paugh (of the MM HP) MUST have a copy ... there's a picture of Doc Robot that she seems to have based one of her own pics on.

I gotta say that I'm very happy to have a copy of this.  I'm making pretty extencive notes in addition to what's already been posted, but I gotta say that it's nothing compared to reading it.  You'd have to appreaciate a lot of the old gaming magazines to really appreaciate this book.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #469 on: November 07, 2009, 09:02:55 PM
Glad to hear that. :) Heh, as soon as I read that second blurb about Breakman, I knew exactly where that "Proto is training you" fanon came from.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #470 on: November 07, 2009, 09:05:46 PM
Actually, that was also in Nintendo Power.  That bit of fanon was much more widespread.

What's interesting is that the MM3 minor enemies actually have pretty accurate translations, while the rest of the enemies clearly are based off the manuals.  It makes me wonder exactly what kind of material these guys had to work with. 

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #471 on: December 27, 2009, 06:57:33 PM
I remember a few things from the NES Game Atlas, there were some fanon names or names that wasn't the same as Japanese ones.

Enemies
Yellow Devil: The Rock Monster
Copy Robot: Mega Clone
CWU-01P: Bubble Boy
Anko: Lantern Fish
Goblin: Air Gremlins, Air Demons and Air Tikis.
Shrink: Super Shrimp
Pipi: Bomber Birds
Mecha Dragon: Dragon Droid
Junk Golem: Block Tosser
Tama: Bobcat
Pen Pen: Bomber Penguin
Pen Pen Maker: the Penguin Maker
Kamegoro Maker: Turtle Machine (Kame = Turtle)
Wily Machine 3: Pinbot

Weapons and Items
Super Arm: Guts Power
Rolling Cutter: Cut Blade
Thunder Beam: Elec Beam
Ice Slasher: Ice Ray
Fire Storm: Flame Thrower
Hyper Bomb: the Bomber
Item 2: Jet Sled in English and Jet Slade in Swedish! >U<

It shows a picture of Pico Pico in Wily Stage 2, where they say that Quick Man's death lasers are in that stage again, but that doesn't sound right. ^^;

"In their first classic fight, Mega Man took on Dr. Wily's six Robot Leaders and then endured a four-stage battle to Dr. Wily himself."

It doesn't say anything about stealing from Dr. Light. XD

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #472 on: December 27, 2009, 07:04:21 PM
A few of those names were from the manuals.

Technically, the RMs from MM1 were Wily's Robot Leaders afer he stole them.  I'd have to go over it again before saying it's incorrect or correct tho.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #473 on: December 27, 2009, 07:21:42 PM
I remember reading on Wikipedia that the term "Robot Masters" was an entirely American term; the originals used "Super Robots". Of course, now that "Robot Masters" is no longer its own article, that bit's gone.

Since Wikipedia also claimed that Stardroid Venus was female, I'm taking that with a grain of salt.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #474 on: December 27, 2009, 07:43:20 PM
The originals only use the term "boss robots", which is what they are.