Setsuna F. Seiei · 36590

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #200 on: July 01, 2011, 01:11:21 AM
The vocal fans can often find themselves in the minority when it comes to cash.  Can be either fortunate or unfortunate depending on the situation.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #201 on: July 01, 2011, 03:29:23 AM
making a game only playable once

Except it's not. It's a minigame. It's meant to be played over and over again. It's not like this is a regular Resident Evil. It's friggin Mercenaries.

But Mega Man Legends 3 still needs a trial run before they even green light it because it's an investment risk despite the overwhelming fan support for the game which has been demanded of capcom since the second game.

That's totally a marketing scheme.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #202 on: July 01, 2011, 11:14:19 PM
I'd gladly accept that marketing scheme if they had the frikkin' Prototype Version out already.  As it stands the first downloadable 3DS game that I pay for is probably going to be Tennis.

(what can I say, the music is catchy)

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #203 on: July 02, 2011, 07:35:14 AM
Oh man yet another score attack arcade-ish game for GBA/DS/3DS has a non deletable save, the world is ending.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #204 on: July 02, 2011, 06:10:03 PM
Oh man yet another score attack arcade-ish game for GBA/DS/3DS has a non deletable save, the world is ending.

I'd like to think that people are more pissed that Capcom is willing to lock saves at all. And if this works (that is, they can ignore the complaints), who's to say they won't try this on a non-arcade/score attack game? Like MML3?

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #205 on: July 02, 2011, 07:12:35 PM
who's to say they won't try this on a non-arcade/score attack game? Like MML3?

You could always just choose 'new game' and save over the file.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #206 on: July 02, 2011, 07:51:14 PM
You could always just choose 'new game' and save over the file.
If they allow you to. I would imagine that being able to overwrite the save would allow it to be sold via used games bins, which seems to be Capcom's reason for doing this

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #207 on: July 02, 2011, 08:16:27 PM
Well it ain't stopping anybody (anymore in Gamestop's case) from selling the game used. So if that was Capcom's plan, it failed within a week.

I'd like to think that people are more pissed that Capcom is willing to lock saves at all. And if this works (that is, they can ignore the complaints), who's to say they won't try this on a non-arcade/score attack game? Like MML3?

No game company in their right mind would do that to a game that has actual story progression. I know Capcom is everybody's punching bag, but having that kinda doubt is downright stupid.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #208 on: July 02, 2011, 09:57:31 PM
No game company in their right mind would do that to a game that has actual story progression. I know Capcom is everybody's punching bag, but having that kinda doubt is downright stupid.

Correction: no company in their right mind would lock the saves of a story-based game if it failed for the first game they tried it on. If it works, then I don't think there's much to stop them from implementing it in more games. Or other companies, for that matter.

Also, in that article--someone implies that there wouldn't be any shitstorms over this issue if people had simply played the game first and found out about locked saves later. Because no one ever finds fault with something when they've already bought it.

Offline IQ-0

• Ice Queen Zero
  • Resistance Member
  • Friendship Advisory - Magical Content
    • View Profile
    • 1CC Gaming
Reply #209 on: July 05, 2011, 06:07:19 AM
I'm glad I read this topic before buying the game. GameFly deemed this game not rentable because of save restrictions meaning I was gonna buy the game but now I know not to.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #210 on: July 06, 2011, 12:57:43 AM
As I've said in my previous posts, I don't think "no harm, no foul" technically applies here.  Yes, Mercenaries is a high-score game that Gamestop is deciding to sell used anyway, but according to Capcom that wasn't their point in the first place.

Here's the thing, though.  As easy as it was for gamers to read this out of context, it'd be just as easy for other developers to.  Establishing a precedent of the maker enforcing upon you what is and isn't acceptable use after purchasing a product is rather dangerous, I believe.  Not something that I feel the industry should be accepting.  So while it seems everyone was upset over nothing, I still think it was for the best as a matter of principle.  Capcom noticed, and they know not to try it again.

And man, Necky, I missed your wake-up calls...

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #211 on: July 06, 2011, 04:16:38 AM
So while it seems everyone was upset over nothing, I still think it was for the best as a matter of principle.

THIS

How are people missing this point? I know the internet is full of mindless idiots but this is so slap you in the face obvious it's shameful anyone can't get this already.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #212 on: July 06, 2011, 05:09:27 AM
How are people missing this point?

I cant answer that. I can guess that these are the same idiots who (may have) insisted that paying for stuff with real money in MMORPGs and DRM wouldn't become a major thing, either. Either they don't know a red flag when they see one, or they're in denial.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #213 on: July 06, 2011, 08:42:39 PM
Look, I totally agree that every game should give you the option to remove all the data. Cause options are always a good thing.

All I'm saying is, in this case, with this particular game, it's really not that big a deal. It's a minor inconvenience. No reason to rally the troops and murder Capcom over. No reason to get paranoid that Capcom is going to kill replayability in all of its future games. Maybe they could do this in, like, a future 3DS version of Puzzle Fighter or something like that, but definitely not in something like RE:Revelations.

And it just blows my mind how adamant everyone is over it. It's kinda funny actually.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #214 on: July 06, 2011, 09:06:58 PM
...um.

Just because Capcom might not do this again (too often) doesn't mean other developers won't. I thought Hypershell made that very clear.

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #215 on: July 07, 2011, 09:02:00 AM
Just because Capcom might not do this again (too often) doesn't mean other developers won't.

Other developers have done this before and nobody gave a [parasitic bomb] then.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #216 on: July 07, 2011, 09:28:13 AM
Other developers have done this before and nobody gave a [parasitic bomb] then.

...oh. Derp.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #217 on: July 08, 2011, 12:23:12 AM
Mercenaries takes one baby-step beyond just high scores in that it does have unlockable stuff.  Though, there are plenty of games, even those that allow clearing story progress, that neglect to allow you to wipe such extras.

The questionable part isn't the effect, it's the intent.  The problem with dismissing it as trivial (which, to the game itself, it is), is that it furthers the question of why Capcom thought it was worth creating an internal backup.  It's conceivable that Capcom put out Mercenaries as a "test" to see what would happen.

Even if for the sake of argument that amounts to nothing, that Mercs was one big accident, the potential is still nipped in the bud.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1216842p1.html

Quote from: IGN
Resident Evil 6: Chris Redfield and Leon Kennedy Playable
As a potential announcement approaches, more details about Capcom's next horror game emerge.
January 19, 2012
by Richard George

For the first time in Resident Evil history, Leon Kennedy and Chris Redfield will both be playable characters in Capcom's ambitious six main entry in its survival horror series. Sources within the development team have started to give IGN a broad picture of the game's scope, which certainly seems larger than any Resident Evil title we've seen so far. This news comes on the heels of the leaked logo and release date for the game.

Chris Redfield and Leon Kennedy will not be alone in this new game. Both Chris and Leon will have unnamed partners of their own, teaming up in similar fashion to the Chris Redfield/Jessica Sherawat and Jill Valentine/Parker Luciani pairings in Resident Evil Revelations. Sources tell us Chris and Leon will have seperate stories in the game that will eventually overlap in some capacity.

We're also told Ada Wong will have a playable role in the game, though not immediately. It appears as though the Ada storyline will become available to players after the Chris and Leon arcs have been completed, plus a third primary narrative featuring a new character. Any of the three main story branches will be selectable early on in the game, allowing players to see each storyline through to completion before starting another one.

Resident Evil 6 is also set to take place across the globe, including China, which has been an often-rumored location for months. VentureBeat reports the RE6 development team is the "same internal Japanese team that has worked on previous entries." That same report suggests this game is being styled after both Resident Evil 4 and 5, attempting to find a middle ground between horror and action.

When contacted, Capcom stated it would not comment on rumors, reports or speculation. IGN sources have also given us the Resident Evil 6 logo and release date.

Capcom is expected to officially reveal - or continue to tease - Resident Evil 6 later today through its viral "No Hope Left" site. Stay tuned for more.

Source: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1216844p1.html

I figured this would be some fun news for my ResiEvil friends here. Discuss.  :)

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
I never beat RE5... did Jill turn back from [classy lady] to regular Jill?
If so, I want her as a partner in the game.
If not... well.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Can't say for sure. Maybe it was bad of me to make this thread when I know next to nothing about the series...  -u-'

New Stuff:

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmC1lZeQad4&hd=1

Stream: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/%E3%83%8F%E3%82%AE%E3%83%88%E3%82%B3--%E3%82%AB%E3%83%97%E3%82%B3%E3%83%B3%E3%81%A1%E3%82%87%E3%81%93%E3%81%A3%E3%81%A8%E5%85%AC%E8%AA%8D#utm_campaign=andriasang.com&utm_source=4764198&utm_medium=social

PR

SAN MATEO, Calif. — Jan. 19, 2012 — Capcom®, a leading worldwide developer and publisher of video games, is very proud to announce that Resident Evil® 6 is in full development and scheduled for release on the Xbox 360 ® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system on November 20, 2012 with a Windows PC version to follow. Blending action and survival horror, this latest instalment in the multi-million selling franchise is the most ambitious, immersive and feature rich title of the series to date and promises to be the dramatic horror experience of the year.

It has been ten years since the Raccoon City incident and the President of the United States has decided to reveal the truth behind what took place in the belief that it will curb the current resurgence in bioterrorist activity. Due to be by the President’s side is his personal friend and Raccoon City survivor, Leon S. Kennedy, but when the venue suffers a bioterrorist attack, Leon is forced to face a President transformed beyond recognition and make his hardest ever decision. At the same time, Bioterrorism Security Assessment Alliance member Chris Redfield arrives in China, itself under threat of a bioterrorist attack. With no country safe from these attacks and the ensuing outbreaks, the entire world’s population is united by a common fear that there is no hope left.

In a first for the franchise, Resident Evil 6 sees series favorites Leon and Chris come together to face this unprecedented threat. They will be joined by new characters, each with their own unique perspective and involvement, in this relentless dramatic horror experience enacted on a global scale.

“Resident Evil 6 represents a giant stride forward in the evolution of the series,” commented Katsuhiko Ichii, Head of R&D and Global Marketing. “The development team, led by Hiroyuki Kobayashi, is working tirelessly to deliver the most impressive Resident Evil® title ever both in terms of scope and production values. We are all genuinely excited by the title and cannot wait to share it with the world.”

Hiroyuki Kobayashi, Resident Evil 6 Executive Producer added: “From the outset the team’s intention was to create an experience that delivers a gripping storyline, tense single-player and co-op action all set against a constant theme of horror. We are calling this fusion dramatic horror and are confident it will resonate with both existing fans of the series as well as newcomers.”

Now riddle me this, isn't Kobayashi the big DMC person there? Isn't Jun Takeuchi the guy usually in that position when developing RE games?

Offline Karasai♪

• Absolutely Fabulous.
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
We get to play as Hulk AND Kyo Kusanagi in the same game?!

Offline megaman24681012

• Toa of Ice
  • B-Class Hunter
  • Shoulda chose a better name.
    • View Profile
I'm legitimately impressed by the trailer. With all the fanboy hate I spew at Crapcom I keep forgetting they can actually make good games. I mean hell, we can play Leon Kennedy, experience the somber side of RE before the 4th; Chris Redfield, see the more balls-to-the-wall meets immediate danger RE4 and RE5 had; and for the lulz play as some super ninja and kick some awesome zombie ass.

Though my main beef is:
1. Can they build each counterpart's gameplay style with enough appropriate atmosphere to feel like unique, full fledged journeys without making the game feel spread thin due to wildly conflicting situations (Leon -> Ambient tension, Chris -> Intense claustrophobic firefights, New Guy -> Gurren Lagann zombie asskicking)?

2. When the flying f**k will they actually remember that Megaman is is a viable gaming franchise?!

2. How will the story function? Cappy was never good at making good stories, but I hope this game won't be as pretentious as RE5.

Also, Love Leon's new "Mature adult" look!  owob

Kopaka: "That leaves you and I, Tahu Nuva."
Tahu: "No. That leaves only me."

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Wait, wasn't Resi6 supposed to be a reboot?

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
There was that rumor, yeah.  But I guess it turned out to not be true.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.