MEGAMAN UNIVERSE!!!!!! (PS3/360)

HokutoNoBen · 94159

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #175 on: July 19, 2010, 01:54:51 AM
No.

You might want to go back and re-read your own actual posts then, or can't you keep your own points straight?

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #176 on: July 19, 2010, 02:17:24 AM
I dunno, I think Gauntlet said it better than I could on MMPU:

Because it deviates so greatly from the MM1 (not only from the box and manual, but also as it agrees much more with the Japanese version of the game), as well as it's addition of Oilman and Timeman, I consider Megaman Powered Up to be a separate continuity rather than an addition or overwrite of the US game continuity.

As game information is supposed to be additive and not overwriting, MMPU provides an enormous amount of incomparable information. So much so that it's disruptive to the normal flow of information in the US game continuity. While it might overwrite continuity on the Japanese side of things (a whole 'nother discussion), it's simply seperate on the US side.

the US-continuity is thus in no way different from the Japanese continuity, it is all one whole with many inconsistencies.

Even though [tornado fang] it this is going nowhere

You might want to go back and re-read your own actual posts then, or can't you keep your own points straight?

I re-read my posts. I did not imply that every game would need its own continuity. All the games that are released in the US go under "US"; same with JP, and I was talking about "US continuity"/"JP continuity" as a whole--the exception being MMPU, for reasons listed in this post's first quote.

Offline Lilirulu

• Biometal Y
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • "NO DICE"
    • View Profile
Reply #177 on: July 19, 2010, 02:34:04 AM
It's pity the JP MM/RM Fans, for they do not get to experience the glory that is the MM1 Boxart! I hope the MM1 outfit is DLC or optional outfit sort of thing~
Of course I won't be playing this game because I don't own a PS3/XBOX360. 8D

And could you guys stop arguing over if there is a damned US continuity or not? It's kinda aggravating especially when I'm genuinely interested in this game and every time I look back at this page all I see is back and forth gabbier over something that really isn't that important/not relevant at all!

"Sumo Wrestlers are sexy by DEFAULT!"-[DA]-[SA]-[Pixiv]

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #178 on: July 19, 2010, 02:35:16 AM
And could you guys stop arguing over if there is a damned US continuity or not?

I really want to right now. ;_;

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #179 on: July 19, 2010, 02:36:48 AM
I think Gauntlet failed at his own effort by not including Powered Up. A US-release title is a US-released title. Stick to your own creed and incorporate it into continuity. The exclusion of both cyborgs and Powered Up is a sad black stain on Gauntlet's article. Really, Powered Up did not mention any new backstory in Japan. It fits nearly with the old, and what happened in the US was simply this; it got properly translated for once.

Why is it so hard to acknowledge that the US continuity has internal conflicts that are no different from trying to incorporate the US-exclusive factoids into the Japanese continuity? Why is it so hard to consider everything as a single whole? The same goes for incorporating the remakes. Inconsistencies were the nature of the beast; so accept them as they are. If you're telling me not to throw away the US-exclusive info, I've been telling you to not throw away the Japan-exclusive info. Why not make the mythology of MegaRockMan a grand whole?

Ok... it's official, that 15 million of DASH3 funds is gonna go to translating all the Japanese exclusive info and rewriting the history of MegaMan!

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #180 on: July 19, 2010, 02:36:58 AM
Talk about MMU instead. Or speculate until it's Friday.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #181 on: July 19, 2010, 02:42:55 AM
Really, Powered Up did not mention any new backstory in Japan.

Even though, you know, Timeman and Oilman suddenly exist.

Why is it so hard to consider everything as a single whole?

I just figured it'd be easier not to get everything mixed up. >.>

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #182 on: July 19, 2010, 02:50:37 AM
I'd like to speculate a bit.

They seem to be pushing the arcade stuff quite a bit, so I think the powerups will mostly be based on the Capcom arcade classics. Maybe the arcade machines themselves will be inside the game. Heck, maybe the classic games will be unlockable.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #183 on: July 19, 2010, 02:52:11 AM
I'd like to speculate a bit.

They seem to be pushing the arcade stuff quite a bit, so I think the powerups will mostly be based on the Capcom arcade classics. Maybe the arcade machines themselves will be inside the game. Heck, maybe the classic games will be unlockable.

Sounds interesting. Dunno about that last one, though, what with most of the NES games being on VC already.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #184 on: July 19, 2010, 02:55:11 AM
Even though, you know, Timeman and Oilman suddenly exist.

That's why people invented Retroactive Continuity; to have one thing overwrite the other without having to start a new continuity. And if all else fails; Crisis.

Furthermore, the American press release pretty much outright states that the remakes are in-continuity with the originals.

I just figured it'd be easier not to get everything mixed up. >.>

But the US continuity has the same mix ups with itself... I don't see there being much more conflict added. The Japanese stuff mostly fixes some gaps in the plot where we never got the explanation for; see Blues' origin.

Offline Lilirulu

• Biometal Y
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • "NO DICE"
    • View Profile
Reply #185 on: July 19, 2010, 02:57:28 AM
Has it been explained why it's called "MegaMan Universe" not "Capcom Universe" If it obviously is gonna include character from other Capcom games?

I wonder if there will be playable Roll? or The Rolls? or Kalinka~ *o* Playable Kalinka~ Somedays I really wish Capcom would make MM2-4 So I could have playable Kalinka...I don't know what she would attack with (a crowbar?) but goddammit I wanna play as Kalinka! :p If I knew how to code/rom-hack I would make a Kalinka MM Fangame I think I'm gonna make sprites just encase the day arises~

"Sumo Wrestlers are sexy by DEFAULT!"-[DA]-[SA]-[Pixiv]

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #186 on: July 19, 2010, 03:10:21 AM
@Zan: I don't remember Capcom ever saying that MMPU overrode MM1...

@Lilirulu: Playable Kalinka sounds good. :3 I mean, it's about time she appeared in other game.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #187 on: July 19, 2010, 03:18:05 AM
They said in their MMPU and MHX press release:
o Get a peek at events that unfolded before the plotline of the first Mega Man X game
o Gain valuable insight into the motives of enemies and allies, even learning Sigma's reasons for starting his rebellion movement.

Clearly referencing a relation with the original story for at least MHX and MMX. MMPU is described as a similar remake with regard to MM1, so we must assume the same applies with MMPU and MM1.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #188 on: July 19, 2010, 05:07:09 AM
Besides, doesn't PU have a Classic mode where there's no Time and Oil Man?

Key word is also Re-make. AKA they are making Megaman X1 and Megaman 1 over again, for the modern era. Anything that was not there before is only NEW information, meant to expand the existing story. EG: Day of Sigma and Boss Dialogue.

PU itself though, aside from the retroactive inclusion of Time and Oil man, does not change anything, instead, both the JP and US versions stick to the JP story. Which means, that since this is the new Megaman 1, Megaman 1 now has the correct backstory. With 2 more bosses thrown in by Inafune. And it only adds information that expands on Protoman. Nothing contradictory.

I dont understand why people want to PRESERVE a US continuity, when it is full of horible changes that even Capcom has been trying to forget, erase, and fix. (like, yknow, PU  being translated with the correct story.) Otherwise, PU would have been translated with the original story simply for the sake of "US continuity".

Now. You said: "Just because THEY [Capcom] don't [preserve US continuity] doesn't mean WE can't"

thats the thing, According to you, No matter what branch, Capcom is capcom, and US capcom has just as much of a say in the story and continuity as CoJ does. Well, if THEY are not preserving a US continuity, then by your logic, that should be the end of that, there is no US continuity because CoA doesnt want a "US continuity". So basically you are going against what you yourself said on CoA's power over Megaman. So even though they have the right to change and make a new continuity, if they dont want to preserve that continuity, then too bad, it is still the US continuity?

Also, "...doesnt mean WE cant"

so its just pure fanwank then. CoJ doesnt care for a US continuity with the localization blunders, and CoA doesnt either. Only you, the fans are for some reason, intent on having two continuities.

You can document all the continuities you want, but if capcom is NOT preserving separate continuities, then there ARE NONE. Only one whole, like Zan said- with inconsistencies in the US translation. (and the German X1 booklet)

The Sonia Belmont deal is hardly relevant to this. her WHOLE GAME was considered not part of IGA's storyline. The game itself still stands alone however, as a Gaiden, a what if- its OWn storyline, where Alucard was Trevor's father.

Much how like Lords of Shadow is not part of IGA's storyline either, even though it takes place even before Lament of innocence. Its a standalone story.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #189 on: July 19, 2010, 05:23:51 AM
I dont understand why people want to PRESERVE a US continuity, when it is full of horible changes that even Capcom has been trying to forget, erase, and fix.

Quality isn't the issue here. It's for ease of reference. If we judge solely by quality, then NAdM shouldn't be allowed to be its own continuity. (Also, I already said that the Sonia example was a bad one in hindsight)

Can we just drop this and get back to speculating about MMUni? This current conversation is going absolutely nowhere.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #190 on: July 19, 2010, 05:28:07 AM
Theres very little to talk or speculate about given how little facts we've gotten.

If it was for ease of reference, then it is far easier to consider them all localization inconsistencies. Errors. BAD localization. Is it so hard to reference anyway? everyone knows how bady localized early Megaman was. The bigger issue is getting the correct facts to people, since that is much more difficult.

NAdM (thats the Brazilian comic right?) is it's own canon, much like Ariga and Iwamoto are. NAdM is just another canon.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #191 on: July 19, 2010, 05:29:54 AM
Okay, can I just ask, what exactly is so badly localized about the US MegaMan games?

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #192 on: July 19, 2010, 05:40:06 AM
Theres very little to talk or speculate about given how little facts we've gotten.

We could just talk about what we hope the game will do. >.> I dunno, anything to get the thread back on track.

Okay, can I just ask, what exactly is so badly localized about the US MegaMan games?

There were a few changes from the original script, plus made-up terms. I'm more interested in changes than bothered by them, so I don't see it that way. But that's just me.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #193 on: July 19, 2010, 05:50:43 AM

Megaman and crew being robot like "Humanoids"/Cyborgs,

Megaman's early box art,

Wily being Light's assistant just prior to Megaman 1,

Megaman knowing about Protoman being his brother

Almost all of Megaman 7, Including the added "Die wily"

Zero's unification "prophesy" and blueprints,

I think Zan Hyper and or Marshy can illustrate more of the localization blunders better than I can.

But see, this is exactly what Im talking about. *points at PB*

Rather than bothering to preserve a continuity made from bad localization, we have to get the real facts to the fans. Because if we start with there being different continuities, it makes the story much more complicated than it has to be.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #194 on: July 19, 2010, 05:56:10 AM
Megaman and crew being robot like "Humanoids"/Cyborgs,

Megaman's early box art,

Wily being Light's assistant just prior to Megaman 1,

Megaman knowing about Protoman being his brother

Almost all of Megaman 7, Including the added "Die wily"

Zero's unification "prophesy" and blueprints

Ah

I think Zan Hyper and or Marshy can illustrate more of the localization blunders better than I can.

I hope one of them does, cause this doesn't seem like anything that major...

But see, this is exactly what Im talking about. *points at PB*

Rather than bothering to preserve a continuity made from bad localization, we have to get the real facts to the fans. Because if we start with there being different continuities, it makes the story much more complicated than it has to be.

Again, I hope one of them does give me more information, cause from what you've described, I see little reason why they can't just Macross/Robotech it.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #195 on: July 19, 2010, 05:59:35 AM

Not if only one is relevant to your discussion, I think. >.> If nothing else, it would make sorting out fanon easier. (ex. If it's not a part of the US localization/continuity/dfklhfgh, and it can't be found in the original)

As for the "real facts": Get to work on translating those sourcebooks, then. Remember to cite sources, and don't piece things together on your own without letting the readers know.

Again, I hope one of them does give me more information, cause from what you've described, I see little reason why they can't just Macross/Robotech it.

Same here.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #196 on: July 19, 2010, 06:36:47 AM
Finally got the chance to see the trailer and...I have no [tornado fang]ing idea of what to expect @__@

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #197 on: July 19, 2010, 06:37:46 AM
Finally got the chance to see the trailer and...I have no [tornado fang]ing idea of what to expect @__@

Just do what I do.  Hope for Waffles.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #198 on: July 19, 2010, 06:48:59 AM
Just do what I do.  Hope for Waffles.
what KIND of waffles..?

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #199 on: July 19, 2010, 06:57:23 AM
Fresh Belgian US continuity Waffles.