The Mario Kart Thread

VixyNyan · 86622

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #350 on: December 09, 2011, 05:16:53 AM
The items themselves are balanced just fine, I'd say.  The hit-all/drop-your-[parasitic bomb] orgy from MKWii is no more and the Blue Shell is once again actually useful to the people who launch it instead of just trolling the leader.  The only thing left to tinker with is distribution: Blue shells and lightning bolts still wind up in the CPU's hands a bit too often for my liking (then again, I STARTED on 150cc for the sake of unlocking characters; I still have to see how the other levels compare).

Yeah, the items are balanced quite fine. I usually throw items into "distribution" status, as well as fairness. By balance, I primarily mean the karts and such. Thus far, there is no overwhelmingly all powerful vehicle or combination, like in MK:Wii. Only the lightning bolt & bomb get rid of all items, as well as falling off, and that's perfectly fair. And yeah, Blue Shells & Lightning are still going to make 3 Star-ing Cups a pain.

Another thing I love about this game is that they've brought back douchebaggery! XD

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #351 on: December 26, 2011, 06:30:31 PM
Been playing this for the past 3 days, and I'm wondering, is there a way to race 1-on-1 online with someone?

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #352 on: December 26, 2011, 06:58:44 PM
Sure there is. Just go online and set up a community, then people in your friend list should see that community and they can jump on in. Now, if you mean just 1 on 1 against a stranger, I'm not sure.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #353 on: December 26, 2011, 07:15:05 PM
Ah, gotcha. I guess Cephi's RPM community should suffice then, though I haven't joined it yet, maybe we should have tournaments of some kind if there's enough people.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #354 on: December 26, 2011, 07:16:01 PM
I'll join soon too!

Maybe tomorrow even! Can't wait to race you all.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #355 on: December 26, 2011, 07:18:37 PM
Yeah, the items are balanced quite fine. I usually throw items into "distribution" status, as well as fairness. By balance, I primarily mean the karts and such. Thus far, there is no overwhelmingly all powerful vehicle or combination, like in MK:Wii. Only the lightning bolt & bomb get rid of all items, as well as falling off, and that's perfectly fair. And yeah, Blue Shells & Lightning are still going to make 3 Star-ing Cups a pain.

Another thing I love about this game is that they've brought back douchebaggery! XD

3-Star cups don't seem nearly as tough as they were in MKWii, as its only related to how many points you get in the end, that being said, getting to the end in first place can be tougher in the 150cc.

I will agree that Blue Shells and Lightning are given to the CPU more than I would like (At least they don't get the Lucky 7.), but I'm having more issues with the guy behind me (Which for some reason is almost always Yoshi.) getting Red Shells with almost every single item box, throwing them at me usually right before the goal or at a jump, after which I will fall, and then after that the guy in 6th place will get lightning with the guy ahead of him getting Blooper, maybe I'm just getting unlucky, but its been happening in all the levels so far, not just 150cc.

Again, maybe its just bad luck, Online will fare better hopefully, as playing against actual people is more fun.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #356 on: December 26, 2011, 07:33:23 PM
3-Star cups don't seem nearly as tough as they were in MKWii, as its only related to how many points you get in the end, that being said, getting to the end in first place can be tougher in the 150cc.

I mostly ranked 2-stars in the 150cc cups, despite placing 1st at the end of all the tracks. I've tried the same cups 5 times over with the same 2-star results, not really sure why I don't earn 3. In both 50cc and 100cc cups, I had no problems ranking 3-stars.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #357 on: December 26, 2011, 07:57:45 PM
Huh, I only assumed it was point based on account of going through the 150cc Special Cup getting First in all the races except for Rainbow Road (Somehow Peach got ahead of me in the final stretch and I wasn't able to catch up to her.), I haven't really finished any of the other cups in 150cc yet so I'm just going to assume its based on how much the CPU wants to [twin slasher] you with Blue/Red Shells and Lightning.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #358 on: December 26, 2011, 10:48:19 PM
It is easier to nab the higher star ranks (though as Archetype said it's not score alone; 40 points certainly doesn't guarantee you three stars in 150cc), but I'm glad that it is so.  Mario Kart Wii's expectations were unrealistic; I once got a B rank along with a 40 point score in that game.  When stars are REQUIRED to unlock stuff, and the CPU goes as bat-crap crazy on you as it does in MKWii's 150cc, that is simply not acceptable.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 03:25:12 PM by Hypershell »

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
Reply #359 on: December 27, 2011, 05:00:21 AM
I manage to buy a copy of Mario Kart 7 for the 3DS! I haven't played in a Mario Kart game in a long time, but I look forward to racing everyone here online with Yoshi! Once I practice enough and learn how to effectively use the items I'll show you my mad racing skills with the green dino himself! 8)

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #360 on: December 27, 2011, 06:56:35 AM
Stick it to 'em, Virus!  Only reason I'm not racing Yoshi is because Daisy's in the game. 8)

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #361 on: January 06, 2012, 11:58:09 PM
So, like, does anyone actually use the RPM community? It's always empty whenever I go to it.

In fact, Hypershell seems to be the only other member I see playing this game online.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #362 on: January 07, 2012, 12:25:20 AM
So, like, does anyone actually use the RPM community? It's always empty whenever I go to it.

In fact, Hypershell seems to be the only other member I see playing this game online.

I'll use it when I unlock the rest of the characters.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #363 on: January 07, 2012, 02:40:21 AM
Yeah, Arche is pretty much the only RPMer I've managed to race as well...

Just 3-starred this game the other day, and unlocked the Beast Glider shortly afterwards.

The more I experiment with the parts, the more I love the game's balance.  It reminds me of the SNES/N64 days when even the greatest extremes in terms of character stats could still be driven competently, despite handling differently.  You just have to know where your strengths are.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #364 on: January 07, 2012, 06:49:38 AM
It's extremely well balanced. And I've been out of the country for the past week so I haven't had a chance to use the RPM community much, but Cephi and I raced before. It was fun. We should all try to set up a day.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #365 on: January 07, 2012, 06:58:43 AM
To date that was the ONLY time anyone raced in the RPM community...  Arche and I pretty much joined each other's random games.

Hey, give me a date, and I'll be there. 8)

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #366 on: January 07, 2012, 07:01:16 AM
Hmmmm...

How about Tues or Wed night around 9-10ish?

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #367 on: January 07, 2012, 07:04:13 AM
Wednesday at 9PM is perfect.  Tuesday is a little trickier but could probably work as well.

Hell, I'd ask you to play now, but I kinda need sleep...

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #368 on: January 07, 2012, 07:08:26 AM
How about we make that a daily/weekly event?  Sure beats the “go online and pray someone thought about joining the community“ thing going on right now.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #369 on: January 07, 2012, 07:28:27 AM
Haha, well ironically I cannot make Wed at 9PM due to work, but even if I cannot people should try for it anyway for fun! I'd still be up for Tuesday at 9 as well if possible.

And yeah, I'm all for making this a thing!

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #370 on: January 07, 2012, 07:25:59 PM
I'll try to make it for both Tuesday and Wednesday.

As for the daily events, maybe the weekend and/or Friday at around 8 - 12 P.M.? A cat Tues and Wed is fine too.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #371 on: January 08, 2012, 05:11:28 AM
Well, I finally got my foot in the Community door today thanks to Vixy.  Very grateful that she put up with me for four races. :cookie: <3

I think I've been playing that game a little too much. -u-' But I don't want to get cocky; I have yet to race PB, and he fairly regularly ripped my ass apart in MKWii.
(that and my last random match was kinda shameful...)

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #372 on: January 08, 2012, 07:09:33 AM
I still need more practice. I have 7 wins over you... and you have 14 over me. >_>

Offline Rayl

• The Missing Piece
  • Resistance Member
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
Reply #373 on: January 08, 2012, 06:17:03 PM
I'm available to race at GMT friendly hours :) Got the game a while back and just haven't had much excuse to play it online.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #374 on: January 08, 2012, 09:42:41 PM
Have you entered your FC in the RPM Nintendo Wi-fi thread? It helps to know when people are available/online.