Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (Wii, PS3, 360, iPhone)

HokutoNoBen · 245862

Offline Alice in Entropy

• Genderifically Confuzzled
  • Master's Unit
  • MAKE LOVE FOR MY KITTENS
    • View Profile
Reply #850 on: April 04, 2010, 08:50:21 PM
Have I mentioned I love the stage names? Especially Mad Gear and Egg Station. I don't know, I've just always had a fondness for the mechanical levels' names.

Mmmmmmmmmmh, Scrap Brain Zone~

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #851 on: April 04, 2010, 08:59:26 PM
Ben, your example has a game already released in one region. This is the equivalent of a beta of a title being leaked out before release. This situation has not come up with a high-profile title like this before in gaming history.

I'm getting tired of this whole "stick it to the man" attitude the Internet has toward Sega. "Yeah, [tornado fang] Sega!" when they have done nothing wrong here. The fan base, as always, has this holier-than-thou attitude that they are the arbiter of anything to do, to the point that:

Have the games been lackluster lately? Yes. I will admit that. That's still no right to ruin a company's planning and marketing campaign entirely and I point at the greedier members of the fanbase who pestered infinity to keep doing these videos and "stick it to Sega."

This is especially so when this message isn't even affecting the twits that would help trigger a change. Sega of Japan won't give a [parasitic bomb] about this. They're happily rolling around in what little yen the Sammy side of operations hasn't bled out its ass yet. All it's doing is harming SoA and SoE, who are trying to behave similarly to Capcom and form a relationship with the fanbase. The only problem is the elitist attitude there is through the roof versus the Mega Man one, where it's not as rampant.

I still don't see how the inherent quality of the game plays any role in this discussion. Is this because people pegged the game on too high a standard because it was named Sonic 4 and the rose-tinted goggles immediately snapped on for the Genesis titles?

Admittedly, I echo Sato's sentiment in that watching some of the videos (I didn't watch them all) sold me a lot on the game (Mad Gear Act 1? Beautiful.) But I'm more irritated that some people are continuing to vomit their usual "no classic sonic sonic rush hd baaaarf" garbage and insist this is sticking it to Sega.

tl;dr: Let's just burn the damn fanbase to the ground.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #852 on: April 04, 2010, 09:12:16 PM
tl;dr: Let's just burn the damn fanbase to the ground.

I got the paddles and kerosene ready. XD

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #853 on: April 04, 2010, 09:28:32 PM
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMrDUOe2uuk[/youtube]

See? Jelly gets it!

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #854 on: April 04, 2010, 09:58:24 PM
Allow me to join you with this flamethrower and shotgun.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #855 on: April 04, 2010, 10:28:28 PM
Ben, your example has a game already released in one region. This is the equivalent of a beta of a title being leaked out before release. This situation has not come up with a high-profile title like this before in gaming history.

And that's really different, in what context...?

The bottom line is, in both cases, you, as the publisher/developer, have it so that people are going to see a version of a product that you may or may NOT want them to see.

Keeping with the Sonic theme, let's take it back to the days of when Adventure came out for the Dreamcast in Japan. This was also the same version that was marketed with Sega and Blockbuster's campaign to help "sell" the system, no less.

That version of the game, to put it bluntly, was definitely HOT GARBAGE. I still look back and wonder how it was able to get released as it was. It's the only Sonic release that, in my eyes, begins to challenge 06's propensity for "not-fun-ness". Camera was bad. Glitches were bad. Framerate was all over the place. There was a whole lot that just pointed to that this was just not a good game. But be as it may, Naka's Sonic Team at least were willing to turn some things around, and the Western release of DC-Adventure became what it is, likely because people made such a big stink about they saw in the import/Blockbuster package.

It'll be interesting to see if ANY of the [parasitic bomb] that's gone done this last week will effect Iizuka's Sonic Team and Dimps in the same way. I sincerely doubt it, but hey, whatever at this point.

I'm getting tired of this whole "stick it to the man" attitude the Internet has toward Sega. "Yeah, [tornado fang] Sega!" when they have done nothing wrong here.

^That much is debatable. But besides that much, ask yourself this though...has Sega done anything to really warrant anything less than this type of response? What have they done to deserve the "surely they deserve an A for effort~" that the apologist crowd some how thinks that the rabid dissenters and cautiously pessimistic should give them?

Sega, as a company, has earned their fan-based ire for no more than what they have allowed to transpire, themselves. In just the last few years alone, they've done things such as:

* Mess up a sequel to a game people always wanted to see (Nights 2)

* Mess up a next-gen "successor" to a fondly remembered franchise (Golden Axe: Beast Rider)

* Allowed the release of a lackluster PS3 port to Bayonetta (where Sony had to clean up the mess through that recent patch update, and at least give us decent load times; the original release was HORRENDOUS)

* Put the sequel to Valkyria Chronicles, an original and SUCCESSFUL PS3 IP...on the PSP; nobody, on either side of the pond, specifically ASKED for a PSP version of the game, and the sales reflected as such

* Denied and turned a deaf ear to the wants and wishes of people who wanted the update to Virtua Fighter 5 on PS3 and 360; we can only hope that by some stroke, it was because they wanted to wait for this "Final" release, but God only knows what's going to happen there

* Cut out content from the Western release of RGG/Yakuza 3, for seemingly no real reason at all; seemingly only doing more to try and basically help the game series fail in the West

In short? It ain't just the Sonic fans who have reason to be angry at Sega. It's gamers in general, who are angry at the various bad moves that Sega has made which only serve to do more to troll the fans of their games.

The "Sonic problem" is perhaps the loudest example. But the problem is much bigger than that, and so, the Sonic problem does a lot to showcase the rancor that the gaming community at large has towards Service Games.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #856 on: April 04, 2010, 11:12:37 PM
Yes, gamers' ire at Sega is well-deserved, Ben.  But the responses from "fans" that STM is referring to are just as stupid as Sega's business decisions.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #857 on: April 05, 2010, 12:05:37 AM
Yes, gamers' ire at Sega is well-deserved, Ben.  But the responses from "fans" that STM is referring to are just as stupid as Sega's business decisions.

Again, though, to me, it's nothing more than what Sega themselves has allowed to happen. A "you reap what you sow" type of thing.

But basically after all these years' worth of Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, '06 and etc., Sega's chickens have now effectively come home to roost. They're getting what they deserved.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #858 on: April 05, 2010, 12:51:23 AM

Just wanted to say that I love Nintendo for that segment of the game.

Now, as far as the main topic at this point:
Keeping with the Sonic theme, let's take it back to the days of when Adventure came out for the Dreamcast in Japan. This was also the same version that was marketed with Sega and Blockbuster's campaign to help "sell" the system, no less.

That version of the game, to put it bluntly, was definitely HOT GARBAGE. I still look back and wonder how it was able to get released as it was. It's the only Sonic release that, in my eyes, begins to challenge 06's propensity for "not-fun-ness". Camera was bad. Glitches were bad. Framerate was all over the place. There was a whole lot that just pointed to that this was just not a good game. But be as it may, Naka's Sonic Team at least were willing to turn some things around, and the Western release of DC-Adventure became what it is, likely because people made such a big stink about they saw in the import/Blockbuster package.

It'll be interesting to see if ANY of the [parasitic bomb] that's gone done this last week will effect Iizuka's Sonic Team and Dimps in the same way. I sincerely doubt it, but hey, whatever at this point.
So you're comparing a bad camera, horrid amount of glitches, and an unstable framerate to... what now? Petty little [tornado fang]ing nitpicks for the most part? Yes, that makes a lot of sense.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #859 on: April 05, 2010, 03:45:58 AM
Now, as far as the main topic at this point:So you're comparing a bad camera, horrid amount of glitches, and an unstable framerate to... what now? Petty little [tornado fang]ing nitpicks for the most part? Yes, that makes a lot of sense.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahn~?  8D

Some of my last few posts in this topic have been basically things that showcase exactly the types of things that I think are definitely wrong in this game. Little gems like this:

I don't know where you get things that basically showcase how poorly made the game's engine is designed as things that construe "little nitpicks", but whatever. 8D

"Spider Sonic...Spider Sonic...does everything else BUT what Sonic should DO!~"

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #860 on: April 05, 2010, 03:51:03 AM
Even Sonic Rush didn't do this.

What happened?

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #861 on: April 05, 2010, 04:00:47 AM
You guys do realize that it's three months before release, right? SA did have loads of issues after it's release, yes... but this hasn't even been released yet. Think of this as beta testing. Also, I said for the most part; before the videos of the beta version here, it was all nitpicks.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #862 on: April 05, 2010, 04:03:27 AM
You guys do realize that it's three months before release, right? SA did have loads of issues after it's release, yes... but this hasn't even been released yet. Think of this as beta testing. Also, I said for the most part; before the videos of the beta version here, it was all nitpicks.

Keep believing that if you will, partner. That's what they said about Sonic 06, too. 8D

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #863 on: April 05, 2010, 04:04:59 AM
"Spider Sonic...Spider Sonic...does everything else BUT what Sonic should DO!~"

I believe we have the title of the next Storybook Sonic game; Sonic and the Spider Bite!

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #864 on: April 05, 2010, 04:11:24 AM
I believe we have the title of the next Storybook Sonic game; Sonic and the Spider Bite!

Well, why not? If Sega Studios San Francisco/Secret Level weren't going to be closed up next month, I'm sure they could bang out another HIGH QUALITY release with Marvel's help. It'd be right in line with Iron Man!  8D

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #865 on: April 05, 2010, 04:14:22 AM
Well, why not? If Sega Studios San Francisco/Secret Level weren't going to be closed up next month, I'm sure they could bang out another HIGH QUALITY release with Marvel's help. It'd be right in line with Iron Man!  8D

I, for one, would enjoy Web Swinging around with the Fastest Thing Alive!   8D

Shadow would make a good Electro! 

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #866 on: April 05, 2010, 04:16:57 AM
Keep believing that if you will, partner. That's what they said about Sonic 06, too. 8D

I like giving them the benefit of the doubt rather than nitpicking every little detail right out of the announcement gate ;)

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #867 on: April 05, 2010, 04:38:50 AM
I like giving them the benefit of the doubt rather than nitpicking every little detail right out of the announcement gate ;)

If that is what you wish. My thing is, Sega/Sonic's exhausted its chances with me. So therefore, no more "pities". 8D

And if Sega doesn't get its act together soon, with hopefully a PS3/360 port of the new Virtua Fighter 5 (and Border Break would be nice too, while they're at), then really, I'm just about done with them. Because the arcade wing of Sega (AM2) is basically the only wing of the company that CONSISTENTLY delivers. Alas, their games are the ones that don't get console versions...   

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #868 on: April 05, 2010, 04:48:53 AM
In SEGA's defense, they did give me VO:OT Online, so they pleased me for the time being!   8D

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #869 on: April 05, 2010, 04:54:00 AM

Offline Rad Lionheart

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #870 on: April 05, 2010, 04:55:21 AM
First off, Journey. <3

Second off, I'm getting a kick out of these animated .gif of fail engine.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #871 on: April 05, 2010, 04:56:16 AM
I don't know if SEGA deserves the awesomeness of Journey...

Perhaps Mariah Carey's I Still Believe

Offline Klavier Gavin

• RPM Soldier
  • Einspruch!
    • View Profile

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #873 on: April 05, 2010, 05:10:25 AM
Sonic's going Greek, I just know it.

Gonna be Hercules' replacement.
Hermes will come into play.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #874 on: April 05, 2010, 08:26:14 AM
Are you positive that the failgifs are the game's fault? Who's to say it's the player that's doing something he's not supposed to. You really shouldn't jump to conclusions.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.