Metroid Discussion Thread

LightningKitsune · 139794

Offline Ephidiel

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #875 on: September 25, 2010, 01:25:54 PM
wasn't the screw attack always kinda a subfeature to the spacejump anyway?

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #876 on: September 25, 2010, 02:16:29 PM
You could disable the space jump without disabling screw attack in Super Metroid, and though you'd still get that swirly effect you wouldn't be able to multi-jump.

Offline Ephidiel

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #877 on: September 25, 2010, 02:42:18 PM
so its only one game where its not a subfeature

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #878 on: September 25, 2010, 04:15:22 PM
In Zero Mission you could always get it early. Don't forget the original Metroid either where there wasn't any Space Jump :P

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #879 on: September 25, 2010, 05:11:07 PM
Funny how sarcastic comments evolve into serious thoughts.  Oh well, that's RPM. 8D

All of the above from Align and Jericho holds.  And unless you're deliberately sequence-breaking there is no reason you should be Space Jumping before you Screw Attack in Zero Mission.  The Space Jump is incompatible with your starting suit; it cannot be used until you defeat the Chozodia ruins boss.

In all previous side-scrolling games Space Jump and Screw Attack were separate items (not only that but the Screw Attack symbol is pretty much the most iconic one in Metroid).  It was mainly Prime 2&3 which blurred that line, but that was because the Space Jump in Prime was a simple double-jump.

I don't see the mewtwo avatar...
Apparently my posts-per-page setting there is not the default (don't know how/if one can link to a specific post on IGN).  Sorry about that.

EDITS: This should get you to the proper page regardless.  I think.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 04:35:53 PM by Hypershell »

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #880 on: September 26, 2010, 02:10:56 AM
I need to play this

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN9WYo0Hogo[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsJx7ltK-RM[/youtube]

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #881 on: September 26, 2010, 02:20:46 AM
Looks fun, yeah.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #882 on: September 26, 2010, 02:25:21 AM
I want~ 0v0

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #883 on: September 26, 2010, 02:25:57 AM
Hypershell...

You just PWNED that freelancer.

Great rebuttal there.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #884 on: September 26, 2010, 06:07:36 AM
That was adorable.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #885 on: September 26, 2010, 12:08:40 PM
People are getting too up-in-arms over her characterization when there's actually nothing wrong with it outside of the execution at times (I blame this largely on poor writing.)

Everyone expecting Samus to be a stoic and heartless killing machine have not even caught that she does show emotional signs within her more muted games in facial gestures or general actions (see: that Prime 2 scene I keep yapping about as a more in your face version of this.)

The game's problem, again writing, was that it pretty much shoved it full force into the player's face and it got rather irritating at times, and I'm not even talking Ridley scene, which I thought was perfectly fine given her backstory and thoughts, which she even mentions early on in the very game itself.

You done good, Hypershell. I also agree with the Space Pirate inconsistencies because if they need Mother Brain to be brilliant and organized and Mother Brain got zapped into oblivion... how the hell did they restructure for Super Metroid?

And now people know why Prime 3's teaser that Mother Brain was stolen GF technology makes more sense, at least as to why she came back in Super Metroid.

Here's hoping that, if we get another story-driven Metroid (probably not likely... I've been hearing this game has been getting a royal flogging at retail) they at least hire a writing team that can at least make sense of the Metroid-verse instead of Sakamoto's current overly-ham fisted and plothole filled fanfiction.

Offline TheOnly

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #886 on: September 29, 2010, 01:09:00 AM

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #887 on: September 29, 2010, 01:14:26 AM
Hahahahaha.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #888 on: September 29, 2010, 04:15:31 AM
...man, I don't what to make of this.

http://kotaku.com/5649540/in-which-samus-aran-jumps-on-stage-and-takes-her-clothes-off/gallery/

You know, honestly, I'm actually kinda surprised in a "I thought I've seen everything" kinda of way that this hasn't been tried before. XD

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #889 on: September 29, 2010, 05:01:32 AM
Something tells me firing the Arm Cannon would've been very funny to see.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #890 on: September 29, 2010, 05:52:12 AM

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #891 on: October 03, 2010, 01:00:32 PM
I finally got around to actually playing Other M, after having it just lying around at home. Looks good to me, although at the moment I seem to be stuck after 4 marines gather around that other guy who died and I get forced into scan mode.
For the most part it seems like people interpreted Samus' lines in the worst way possible.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #892 on: October 03, 2010, 04:39:24 PM
You're looking for [spoiler]green blood in the grass.[/spoiler]  Definitely one of the tougher mandatory scans.

And yeah, I agree on interpretation.  You'd think the extent to which they name/describe the implications of the name for a generic distress signal, would have warned all players to leave their ham/melodrama shields up.  Apparently that was not the case.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #893 on: October 03, 2010, 07:48:13 PM
[spoiler=Regarding above spoiler]Green blood on green grass... you would think someone would have thought this one through a little better. Maybe at least put it on a dirt patch?[/spoiler]

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #894 on: October 03, 2010, 08:11:59 PM
[spoiler]Or make it a different color.[/spoiler]

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #895 on: October 04, 2010, 03:51:48 PM
Or have the screen behave like it does every OTHER time you're forced into scan mode, instead of misleading you into thinking that the game's just not registering the viewpoint switch.  I thought it was a bug or something and kept resetting.  You know how many times I wound up redoing the fight with the lizard?

The Other Side

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #896 on: October 06, 2010, 01:35:42 AM
Unless your palm is uniquely transparent to infrared light that should not be possible.  Failure to register on the remote would lock you into 3rd person, not 1st.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #897 on: October 06, 2010, 01:58:58 AM
Still, every time you're locked into 1st-person view, the screen goes black and white if you move the remote way.  Every time EXCEPT outside the test center.  It doesn't make any goddamned sense!

The Other Side

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #898 on: October 06, 2010, 04:59:06 AM
Still, every time you're locked into 1st-person view, the screen goes black and white if you move the remote way.  Every time EXCEPT outside the test center.  It doesn't make any goddamned sense!
it does it every time you move the wiimote outside of 1st person when locked in. it happened before the wasp fight too. when it wants you to scan those little grub like things.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #899 on: October 06, 2010, 07:16:33 AM
Yes, I'm AWARE of that.

What I'm SAYING is that the game DOESN'T do that when you're looking for the blood splotch in the grass.

The Other Side