Metroid Discussion Thread

LightningKitsune · 140043

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #825 on: September 11, 2010, 07:01:14 AM
Oh, and it's five times killed if you count the Primes.  Ridley appears twice in Prime 3.

He died the first time in Prime 3?  I don't remember that.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #826 on: September 11, 2010, 07:03:18 AM
Samus is perfectly content narrating everything else in log form, yet doesn't at this point which confuses a lot of people. A good amount of what we hear is presented in the past tense, as if she's going over the events after they've occurred, so don't go telling me that she couldn't think properly at that point in time since that wouldn't have an effect on her recalling the events. Ridley can still come out of nowhere which is fine, but perhaps it would have been better with an explanation as to why she'd break down at this particular meeting of Ridley. As it stands her reaction is a tad uncalled for considering what we're given to work with. Also, I was already aware of the backstory, but it doesn't change the fact that the majority won't know. As it stands, there's no reason for anyone to believe that it's because of PTSD, especially considering the fact that most people know at the very least that she's demolished Ridley several times in the past.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #827 on: September 11, 2010, 09:04:05 AM
Ridley didnt really die in prime 1. (not that we know of-) we just saw the Temple blast him over the edge of the ring. If I were to guess, he probably took his time off in prime 2 to be repaired and recover for his prime 3 appearance. Then Omega Ridley happens...

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #828 on: September 11, 2010, 01:36:20 PM
For the record, my problem wasn't that certain scene (as I said, it at least made sense, even if the ham factor was a little higher than it should have been.) My problem was with how stupid the entire story was. It honestly felt more like a random fanfiction taken from the Internet instead of something more polished. I also wasn't a fan of how this story essentially forced the game into a mostly linear form.

I know some will quickly argue the invisible walls theory used with RPGs and even later Metroid titles, where every game, short of glitching, that appears open is set in invisible corridors as the programmers intend a game to be played a certain way. That's cool and all, but there are times where I either don't want to continue the story and go exploring somewhere else (but herp, I can't because a door is force locked) or authorization is nonsensical in some cases.

There's also the whole introduction of a key character and key plot point aiming to tug the player's emotions around 10 minutes before the credits rolled. The only time in recent memory I've seen that work is in Metal Gear Solid 4, and even then it was a bit contrived (but that's for another topic.)

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #829 on: September 11, 2010, 03:23:05 PM
For the record, my problem wasn't that certain scene (as I said, it at least made sense, even if the ham factor was a little higher than it should have been.) My problem was with how stupid the entire story was. It honestly felt more like a random fanfiction taken from the Internet instead of something more polished. I also wasn't a fan of how this story essentially forced the game into a mostly linear form.

I know some will quickly argue the invisible walls theory used with RPGs and even later Metroid titles, where every game, short of glitching, that appears open is set in invisible corridors as the programmers intend a game to be played a certain way. That's cool and all, but there are times where I either don't want to continue the story and go exploring somewhere else (but herp, I can't because a door is force locked) or authorization is nonsensical in some cases.

There's also the whole introduction of a key character and key plot point aiming to tug the player's emotions around 10 minutes before the credits rolled. The only time in recent memory I've seen that work is in Metal Gear Solid 4, and even then it was a bit contrived (but that's for another topic.)
tl,dr: The story of the game was a narrative mess, it was simplistic and sloppy.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #830 on: September 11, 2010, 05:46:12 PM
Well, much as I like the Ridley encounter I did have plenty of OTHER story-qualms with the game that I went over many pages ago.  So, I guess I can't argue with that.

I don't mind the "linear" structure in terms of story so much, as on the whole Metroid has mainly been about traveling from key item to key item anyway (especially in older titles that based your "ending" on clear time rather than item completion; smart move on Retro's part I say).  But a few less locked doors would have been nice, this is true.  More than once I raged at being unable to backtrack to a few item dots in the Main Sector, it's completely senseless.  Requiring items to retrace your steps once in a while is one thing, but there's no excuse for just locking out the beginning area because you can.  And there is NO REASON WHATSOEVER the Main Sector elevator should remain locked after you have completed the post-game mission.

He died the first time in Prime 3?  I don't remember that.
IIRC, she shot him in the mouth, and he laid there.  That's as "dead" as being shot off a cliff in Prime 1.

Then Omega Ridley happens...
Omega Ridley is one of those things you just excuse because it's cool, I believe.  I mean, if the Pirates are in league with Dark Samus from the beginning of MP3, then wouldn't one have expected their Homeworld Leviathan to have landed before that?

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #831 on: September 11, 2010, 08:52:46 PM
What was Ridley's final status in Fusion? Because I swear that mofo is going to come back rainbow-colored or something.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #832 on: September 11, 2010, 08:54:23 PM
Unless the Federation/Space Pirates have some backup DNA left... Ridley is dead. His physical remains were drained and destroyed by an X so it could take Ridley's shape.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #833 on: September 11, 2010, 09:10:24 PM
And then Samus absorbed that X to get Screw Attack.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #834 on: September 11, 2010, 09:15:01 PM
Unless the Federation/Space Pirates have some backup DNA left... Ridley is dead. His physical remains were drained and destroyed by an X so it could take Ridley's shape.

If we ever get a Metroid chronologically after Fusion I'd bet the Federation clones him so that he can go after Samus.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #835 on: September 12, 2010, 12:15:26 AM
Federation cloning shenanigans have to stop sooner or later, or at the very least those responsible ought to form their own organization.

I'm REALLY not willing to swallow Zebes' destruction equaling Space Pirates extinct, though, so we could always see him again that way.  With how many times Ridley's been revived already, I'm sure he's "archived" somewhere.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #836 on: September 12, 2010, 12:20:22 AM
Or Nintendo could stop being dickheads with the repeated plot and make Samus chase a new threat, unrelated to Metroids, Space Pirates or Ridley.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #837 on: September 12, 2010, 12:22:36 AM
I think it'd be kinda cool if she did some actual Bounty Hunting.

Get her some CASSSSSHHHH!

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #838 on: September 12, 2010, 12:25:10 AM
I think it'd be kinda cool if she did some actual Bounty Hunting.

Get her some CASSSSSHHHH!
Funny how most of her missions seem to be out of the kindness of her heart, and we never see her actually get PAID.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #839 on: September 12, 2010, 12:27:53 AM
Can't bounty hunt when the federation is after her, but I guess another midquel would work.
Or a prequel. Yeah, that would be probably be ideal for "just another Metroid game", something before even Zero Mission, would inevitably be unrelated to metroids, space pirates, and everything else familiar from the series... hm.

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #840 on: September 12, 2010, 12:37:44 AM
Funny how most of her missions seem to be out of the kindness of her heart, and we never see her actually get PAID.

Usual in the background stuff.  Imagination can fill it really.

I must admit, if only the Ridley appearance scene had a CG rendition of his killing upon Samus' parents and vice versa.  I think there would be a bit less hate.

Frankly I was worried about this sometime ago if they would show events from the manga or plain expect the fans to know it which sadly, to me, is the real flaw of Other M's story; leading down what now is similar to how divisive the fanbase got w/ Chrono Cross.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #841 on: September 12, 2010, 12:38:04 AM
Can't bounty hunt when the federation is after her, but I guess another midquel would work.
Or a prequel. Yeah, that would be probably be ideal for "just another Metroid game", something before even Zero Mission, would inevitably be unrelated to metroids, space pirates, and everything else familiar from the series... hm.
Is it confirmed that the Federation is indeed hunting her down? Or is it just "ruined their horrible plans and saved the galaxy, so I probably pissed them off"?

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #842 on: September 12, 2010, 01:21:21 AM
They seemed to be on okay terms in the beginning of Fusion.

Or Nintendo could stop being dickheads with the repeated plot and make Samus chase a new threat, unrelated to Metroids, Space Pirates or Ridley.

The Primes, less so 3.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #843 on: September 12, 2010, 01:27:31 AM
They seemed to be on okay terms in the beginning of Fusion.

The Primes, less so 3.
Metroids, Space Pirates and Ridley. All Prime games touched in at least one of these things.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #844 on: September 12, 2010, 02:33:20 AM
They weren't the focus though. Hell, the Metroids' presence in Prime 2 and 3 was basically just a cameo. And are they even relevant to Hunters?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #845 on: September 12, 2010, 03:19:12 AM
Im pretty sure the BSL station was the same people from the bottle ship. The small group within the federation. AKA the Federation shmucks who showed up at the end to pretty much clean up the mess.(because you just KNOW they were going to kill Bergman off screen.) They took Ridley and Nightmare and took them to the BSL. still had Metroid samples, and cloned them again.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #846 on: September 12, 2010, 04:00:53 AM
Then a game needs to be done with Samus going after that Federation branch, and killing them.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #847 on: September 12, 2010, 04:11:36 AM
Metroid game not related to Metroids would kinda suck.  What they need to do is stop trying to render them extinct in every damn game only to come up with some breeding/cloning solution in the next.  Have the next Metroid game leave them out wild so that their reappearance needn't be the center of some contrived plot device.  That way, as in the Primes, they can simply appear for the hell of it.

Ridley is, next to the title critters, the most iconic villain of the series.  Going without him is like Zelda going without Ganon: it's doable, but it won't last.  And since Ridley is himself a Space Pirate, yeah.  But, again, just because the Pirates are in the game, doesn't mean they have to be the center of attention (see Prime 2).

They weren't the focus though. Hell, the Metroids' presence in Prime 2 and 3 was basically just a cameo. And are they even relevant to Hunters?
Weavel is a Space Pirate, I believe, although frankly all of the other Hunters in that game serve no purpose other than cannon fodder.  I'm trying to remember whether or not Metroids made any appearance in that game other than the First Hunt demo...

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #848 on: September 12, 2010, 05:01:26 AM
Just because Metroids are in the title, it doesn't mean they have to appear. There have been Metal Gear games without Metal Gears. Super Mario Land 3 didn't have Mario. Let's just put Samus in a completely different setting than she's used to, and breathe new life into the franchise (not saying it doesn't have life now, but trying something new and fresh would be quite good).

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #849 on: September 13, 2010, 01:50:48 AM