Metroid Discussion Thread

LightningKitsune · 139327

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #925 on: October 19, 2010, 10:40:02 PM
Wouldn't that just mean that prior to Super Metroid, the pirates were simply practically wiped out, only having a stronghold at Zebes remaining? Things like the Pirate Home World being struck by a Leviathan would surely leave a mark, not to mention continuous conflicts with Samus' and the Federation.
I suppose it's possible that the Federation cleaned them up after the Prime 3 home world was mostly wrecked, but the other planets survived the Leviathans well enough...
Really, we don't have a clue what's going on with the Space Pirates, the wiki even mentioned that they claimed several worlds and called them all "home world".
One has to wonder how the Federation captured Ridley in Metroid Fusion relates to pirate resurrection habits.
The frozen Ridley is probably the same as was in the BOTTLE SHIP; during the post-credits gameplay, if you check the room his corpse was in, it's gone.
So is Nightmare's head.

Offline Ephidiel

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #926 on: October 19, 2010, 11:07:23 PM
The frozen Ridley is probably the same as was in the BOTTLE SHIP; during the post-credits gameplay, if you check the room his corpse was in, it's gone.
So is Nightmare's head.
They are the same

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #927 on: October 20, 2010, 03:21:46 AM
Wouldn't that just mean that prior to Super Metroid, the pirates were simply practically wiped out, only having a stronghold at Zebes remaining? Things like the Pirate Home World being struck by a Leviathan would surely leave a mark, not to mention continuous conflicts with Samus' and the Federation.
The scenario itself is possible I guess, but as a matter of presentation it's exceptionally hard to swallow when one amends the canon established 16 years ago, even more so when it's direct sequel has been established for nearly 8 with no issues.

And it still strikes me as unlikely, that a force as widespread as theirs, even if backed into a corner, would then put all of their eggs into one basket.  To leave NO ships whatsoever off of Zebes?

One has to wonder how the Federation captured Ridley in Metroid Fusion relates to pirate resurrection habits.
I would presume that prior to Other M the Ridley corpse that the Federation recovered was simply one other than Super's.  As of Fusion's development there's still the original Metroid and Prime 1 to choose from.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #928 on: October 20, 2010, 04:59:49 AM
On an unrelated note, 'sharking the game on my hax0red Wii to make it so I can fire missiles from 3rd-person view makes the second playthrough a lot more entertaining.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #929 on: February 26, 2011, 01:35:59 PM
Well, I got the game a few weeks ago, and actually played it through 100% normal completion in no time; a real testimony to how fun this game is. I was just hooked. The gameplay is simple, yet great and I wouldn't mind another Metroid like this.

Anyway, the plotline; the most controversial aspect of this title...

Loved it.

Sure, Samus' monologues often have a sense of redundancy. Sure, all exposition is thrown at you after the final boss. Sure, the Deleter plot was dropped last minute. But in what this title was actually moving towards, Adam's final sacrifice, the game delivered big time. Even the infamous Ridley scene worked courtesy of the atmosphere, environment, music, and the gradual build up of Little Birdie to Ridley. And I'm willing to ignore the story's other flaws because of that.

Whilst I could have done without the Power Suit suddenly vanishing like that, or otherwise some show of feat in the Zero Suit here and there, I felt the game gave us plenty of justification for Samus' sudden PTSD attack. The most obvious premise having been discussed here before: Ridley and the Space Pirates being completely obliterated in the destruction of Planet Zebes. Adding to that, we shouldn't forget loss of the baby, her fated meeting with Adam, and the doubt cast over all her comrades thanks to the Deleter.

Looking at Samus' normal interaction with Ridley, it's notable that she's always completely isolated, or with only a computer to talk to. This feeling, known as a classic metroid staple, would help bolster Samus' emotional defenses against such a shock as Ridley's inevitable return. But now, meeting the people closest to her, all her emotions being dragged out into the open ready to be broken by mistrust; Samus' cold and harsh bounty hunter exterior can only be maintained in gameplay, not in cutscenes. She even monologues this weakness of her; she does not open up to people for that very reason. A concept I find working exceptionally well in relation to her behavior in all previous Metroid titles.

Of course, none of this can hold up until we accept the first premise; the destruction of the pirates. Which revolves on a whole lot of paradoxes between Prime3 and Other M. The important one here being the Pirate Homeworld; one of the pirate homeworlds. Which would implicate the Space Pirates being a much greater organization than simply the planet Zebes.

But is this really the case? Prime1 describes them as interstellar nomads, and makes clear Zebes was their primary base of operations, if not the only one. Following Tourian's destruction the Space Pirates split into two; Zebes and those that ended up on Tallon IV. The pirates we see in subsequent titles are just an extension of those that left Zebes. Unlike Tallon IV and Aether, this "Pirate Homeworld" would simply be their biggest base of operations since Zebes, from where they are lead by Dark Samus to become Prime3s antagonists.

With the Galactic Federation's attack on the Pirate Homeworld, everything falls back to Zebes, where Mother Brain has been slowly recovering, perhaps with the assistance of Aurora Unit technology stolen from the Federation. All neatly working its way toward Metroid II, Super Metroid and also Other M; we just need to accept that the Aurora Units are nothing compared to Mother Brain herself. What with lacking her telepathy to control Metroids.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #930 on: February 26, 2011, 05:23:51 PM
An excellent write-up, Zan.  As mentioned last time I around, I find the Pirate scenario plausible, just not well presented.  Other M being effectively a bridge title between 3 and 4, big news such as "Space Pirates were obliterated" is something that ought to have been worth mentioning in one of those two.  While I still find it unlikely that they would fail to survive Zebes' loss in itself, the Federation's efforts to mop up the remnants is worth considering.  This would still leave Samus as credited with dealing the death blow.

On both that and the Mother Brain/Aurora connection, what is seemingly contradictory can in fact be rationalized, it's just very poorly explained.

The main focus of Other M, though, isn't really the Pirates.  It's about Samus, Adam, and the Federation.  On those points, I must agree, the game is exceptional.  The Ridley encounter, controversial as it was to the rest of the internet, was probably my favorite part of the game.  It offers a great sense of comparison when you get to see how the GF forces measure up against him, which is something the series to date has thus far lacked.  For all the collective bitching about Samus panicking, Other M made it clear that she was the only one who really stood a chance against Ridley.  The likes of Anthony and Adam are just playing with death.

It's a shame that the climax of the story and the climax of the gameplay don't sync up, but they each work individually, for sure.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #931 on: February 26, 2011, 08:42:09 PM
Eh as I said, the only thing I have an issue with is the presentation of the Ridley scene. The core concepts behind it are fine, but I can see why people might be confused by it if they never touched the manga due to lack of proper explanation. One of the fricking commercials did it better >_>

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #932 on: February 27, 2011, 12:51:19 AM
Eh as I said, the only thing I have an issue with is the presentation of the Ridley scene. The core concepts behind it are fine, but I can see why people might be confused by it if they never touched the manga due to lack of proper explanation. One of the fricking commercials did it better >_>
That commercial was awesome too. Much in the vein of the old prime commercials. (1 and 2. 3 had a horrible wii would like to play commercial)

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #933 on: February 27, 2011, 03:01:18 AM
It's not just the manga, Fox.  The subject was also touched on in Zero Mission's Fusion gallery.

Still, that's not enough to make it common knowledge, so the point stands.  Agreed on the commercial; a full-on flashback in scenery, as opposed to throwing child-Samus into the Bottle Ship, would have worked a lot better.  I'm just saying, the premise works even without resorting to manga-is-canon.

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #934 on: February 27, 2011, 10:56:48 AM
I think the best way to do it is have one game that while progresses the story, also talks about her past w/ the Chozo and before.

But I agree w/ Fxeni, the only flaw w/ Other M is just lack of context (or to me it's the only flaw anyways).  So even if I do like the Ridley scene (especially that spine chilling staredown between Samus and Ridley before the fight begins), I do agree that having a quick flashback of her mom getting incirenated by Ridley would be well...AWESOME.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #935 on: February 27, 2011, 11:13:54 AM
It's not just the manga, Fox.  The subject was also touched on in Zero Mission's Fusion gallery.

Still, that's not enough to make it common knowledge, so the point stands.  Agreed on the commercial; a full-on flashback in scenery, as opposed to throwing child-Samus into the Bottle Ship, would have worked a lot better.  I'm just saying, the premise works even without resorting to manga-is-canon.
Yeah, but how many people have actually seen that image before? :P

But yeah, I never disagreed with the premise. It's always been about the execution to me. That's really my only gripe with the game to be honest. The ideas are fine to me, but the execution sometimes could have been better. Well, that and the iffy detection on the pointing to the screen with the Wiimote, but I found that that functionality could have been far worse than it turned out to be.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #936 on: February 27, 2011, 01:35:09 PM
Other M being effectively a bridge title between 3 and 4, big news such as "Space Pirates were obliterated" is something that ought to have been worth mentioning in one of those two.

I'm wondering if this isn't actually information that was supplied in either Super or Fusion's supplemental material. If not that, at the very least I'm thinking the premise has existed since Super or was just assumed. The pirate threat in the old games was always considered entirely restricted to Zebes, with Mother Brain as the leader.It wouldn't be until the Primes that their presence was seemingly exaggerated.

As such, I think this mess is kind of for Metroid Prime to solve. With Prime3s secret cliffhanger ending, and a comfortable transition into Metroid II and Super being needed, we could only hope for a Prime4 to tie together the loose ends.

It offers a great sense of comparison when you get to see how the GF forces measure up against him, which is something the series to date has thus far lacked.  For all the collective bitching about Samus panicking, Other M made it clear that she was the only one who really stood a chance against Ridley.  The likes of Anthony and Adam are just playing with death.

Hadn't even thought of that, but you're right. Recalling Adam's sacrifice, the mention that he himself is no galactic savior, and thus cannot stand up to Ridley, was one that really hit home. Especially when you compare that scene to Adam and Samus' discussion in Fusion, it works marvelously well in the continuity, drawing a perfect parallel.

It's a shame that the climax of the story and the climax of the gameplay don't sync up, but they each work individually, for sure.

The only things they should have done to improve the climax of the gameplay was actually show the Power Bomb unlock screen, and then let the MB encounter be play out solely in cutscene.

I can understand the decision to leave both the cold-immune Metroids and "Mother Brain" out of the gameplay. If we look at the way MB got taken down, that right there is a picture perfect set up for her return in a potential Other M 2.

Still, that's not enough to make it common knowledge, so the point stands.  Agreed on the commercial; a full-on flashback in scenery, as opposed to throwing child-Samus into the Bottle Ship, would have worked a lot better.  I'm just saying, the premise works even without resorting to manga-is-canon.

I'm not sure on a flashback during the Ridley scene. With the way Ridley's terrorizing is set up, that would surely break the atmosphere. However, a recollection after the battle, complete with exposition monologue would seem fitting from the game. But instead they focuses on communication with Adam have ceased.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #937 on: February 27, 2011, 02:54:03 PM
The pirate threat in the old games was always considered entirely restricted to Zebes, with Mother Brain as the leader.

Actually, one of the most frequent Pirate-related debates is whether it is Ridley or Mother Brain who leads them, with a few seemingly contradictory sources thrown in.  While Super's dialogue points to Mother Brain, more recent sources favor Ridley.  Melee and Brawl's trophy lists both state that Ridley as their leader, and Zero Mission shows that Ridley commands the Space Pirate Mother Ship, in addition to some of its critical systems being modeled after him.  We may gather from this that Mother Brain controls specifically Zebes and the Metroids.

Incidentally, Brawl's trophy also provides a cross-reference for Ridley killing Samus's parents.  It neglects to mention when, but previous sources stated her being orphaned at K-2L before being raised by the Chozo, so the pieces aren't exactly difficult to put together.  I really see the Other M bitching as an indicator of how many "fans" simply don't pay attention.

As such, I think this mess is kind of for Metroid Prime to solve. With Prime3s secret cliffhanger ending, and a comfortable transition into Metroid II and Super being needed, we could only hope for a Prime4 to tie together the loose ends.
Retro is seemingly done with that.  I don't know what the point of that cliffhanger ending is; the only logical speculation at this point links it to Hunters, and even that's pretty loose.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #938 on: February 27, 2011, 06:03:26 PM
Actually, one of the most frequent Pirate-related debates is whether it is Ridley or Mother Brain who leads them, with a few seemingly contradictory sources thrown in.  While Super's dialogue points to Mother Brain, more recent sources favor Ridley.  Melee and Brawl's trophy lists both state that Ridley as their leader, and Zero Mission shows that Ridley commands the Space Pirate Mother Ship, in addition to some of its critical systems being modeled after him.  We may gather from this that Mother Brain controls specifically Zebes and the Metroids.

Incidentally, Brawl's trophy also provides a cross-reference for Ridley killing Samus's parents.  It neglects to mention when, but previous sources stated her being orphaned at K-2L before being raised by the Chozo, so the pieces aren't exactly difficult to put together.  I really see the Other M bitching as an indicator of how many "fans" simply don't pay attention.

As I see it, both Ridley and Mother Brain are the leaders of the Space Pirates. It's just as Other M states, the way Mother Brain and Ridley guide them are different. Which incidentally fits with Prime's description of the Space Pirates as "interstellar nomads" under Ridley, but having a planetary base of operations under Mother Brain. Ridley isn't Mother Brain, and his influence extents to the Space Pirates acting pretty much exactly ike pirates, instead of an organization capable of rivaling the federation.

Either way, in a non-Prime interpretation of the series, the Space Pirates are restricted to Zebes, with both of its leaders dying in the destruction of the planet. Before that, when only Tourian went down, we might make the assumption that Mother Brain is still partially operational and thus continuing to carry out its function as "High Command." Alternatively, Mother Brain's influence on the Space Pirates could remain after her defeat; it are only the newly born Zebesians of the Bottle Ship, which have not yet been exposed to her or Ridley's presence, that will only act as feral creatures.

Retro is seemingly done with that.  I don't know what the point of that cliffhanger ending is; the only logical speculation at this point links it to Hunters, and even that's pretty loose.

Even if it isn't Retro that takes care of such a title, we really do need another title for a comfortable transition into Metroid II. The exaggeration of the Phazon threat has greatly reduced the meaning of the series title. As it is,  we almost need a remake of Metroid II in which a Leviathan nears/impacts SR388, to justify the Metroids as an intergalactic threat in need of complete extermination.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #939 on: February 27, 2011, 11:49:00 PM
As I see it, both Ridley and Mother Brain are the leaders of the Space Pirates. It's just as Other M states, the way Mother Brain and Ridley guide them are different. Which incidentally fits with Prime's description of the Space Pirates as "interstellar nomads" under Ridley, but having a planetary base of operations under Mother Brain.
It may be worth noting that Melee describes Ridley as "the head of the Space Pirates on Zebes".

I see Mother Brain as being crucial to Zebes' planetary defense as well as responsible for Metroid breeding.  Nothing's suggested that her influence extends beyond the Zebes base, while we know for a fact that Ridley gets around, making him more crucial in the role of a force to "rival the Federation".  If he does in fact lead Zebes as well, then he is of a higher authority than Mother Brain, regardless of how vital Mother Brain is.

Either way, in a non-Prime interpretation of the series, the Space Pirates are restricted to Zebes
Zero Mission.  Mother Ship.

For that matter, the fact that Samus was raised on Zebes.  The "nomadic" trait to the Pirates is by no means whatsoever exclusive to the Primes; Zero Mission absolutely cannot happen without it.  The non-Prime canon is clear: the Space Pirates moved in to Zebes some time after Samus spent the majority of her childhood and more than likely teenage years there.

It is for this reason we need to remember that "Zebesian" in Other M is shorthand for "Zebesian Space Pirate" and not synonymous with "Space Pirates" in general (as the general context of the game fails to indicate), regardless of whether you are taking the Primes into consideration or not.  Other M states that Zebesians require Mother Brain to, for lack of a better term, "awaken" them in order to function as proper Pirates.  No evidence suggests that other Pirates, who predate the occupation of Zebes (and therefore all accounts of Mother Brain's involvement with them) are subject to the same rule.

Before that, when only Tourian went down, we might make the assumption that Mother Brain is still partially operational and thus continuing to carry out its function as "High Command." Alternatively, Mother Brain's influence on the Space Pirates could remain after her defeat;
Considering the above this is only an issue with Zebesian survivors.  But of your two scenarios, the latter is FAR more likely.  The earlier is contradictory due to Mother Brain not being mobile prior to Super Metroid, her "survival" would be incredibly difficult to miss.  Doubly so since both Zero Mission and Super Metroid allow returning to the original Tourian, where there is no evidence of Mother Brain's activity.

only the newly born Zebesians of the Bottle Ship, which have not yet been exposed to her or Ridley's presence, that will only act as feral creatures.
They ARE exposed to Ridley's presence, and moreover, they ARE responding to him.  Ridley is causing their increased aggression, hence the general loss of control on the Bottle Ship.  Yet the implication is that, however threatening he may be, Ridley is unable to lead them properly as an organized force.  If you do not differentiate Zebesians from other Pirates then this flies in the face of Zero Mission.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #940 on: February 28, 2011, 12:57:49 AM
If he does in fact lead Zebes as well, then he is of a higher authority than Mother Brain, regardless of how vital Mother Brain is.

That much should be clear by how Ridley is the leader of the Space Pirates before Mother Brain even comes into the picture.

It is for this reason we need to remember that "Zebesian" in Other M is shorthand for "Zebesian Space Pirate" and not synonymous with "Space Pirates" in general (as the general context of the game fails to indicate), regardless of whether you are taking the Primes into consideration or not. Other M states that Zebesians require Mother Brain to, for lack of a better term, "awaken" them in order to function as proper Pirates.  No evidence suggests that other Pirates, who predate the occupation of Zebes (and therefore all accounts of Mother Brain's involvement with them) are subject to the same rule.

But there is simply no entry in the series where we see Space Pirates that are non-Zebesian. Ridley's are the very Space Pirates that became the Zebesians. As such, the influence of Mother Brain changed the "Zebesian" Space Pirates led by Ridley into something much greater.

The Zebesians born on the Bottle Ship, in the explanation before MB comes into the picture, would be akin to how they were led by Ridley from the very beginning.

Of course, that explanation was never wholly accurate, as MB was pretty much running the uprising from the very moment Little Birdie began his antagonism.

For that matter, the fact that Samus was raised on Zebes.  The "nomadic" trait to the Pirates is by no means whatsoever exclusive to the Primes; Zero Mission absolutely cannot happen without it.  The non-Prime canon is clear: the Space Pirates moved in to Zebes some time after Samus spent the majority of her childhood and more than likely teenage years there.

I think you misunderstand what I'm saying here. As I see it, without Mother Brain, the Space Pirates would not settle on a single base of operations and instead wander the galaxy on their "pirate ship" and raid whatever planet they come across. As such, there are no Space Pirates that settled down outside of Zebes until the Primes starting splitting the Zebesian remnants into two groups. And thus, in a classical interpretation, the destruction of Zebes would naturally wipe out all the Space Pirates after some thorough remnant clean-up by the Federation.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #941 on: March 01, 2011, 03:47:28 AM
But there is simply no entry in the series where we see Space Pirates that are non-Zebesian.
Whether we see them or not, that they exist is the only logical inference.

I think you misunderstand what I'm saying here. As I see it, without Mother Brain, the Space Pirates would not settle on a single base of operations and instead wander the galaxy on their "pirate ship" and raid whatever planet they come across. As such, there are no Space Pirates that settled down outside of Zebes until the Primes starting splitting the Zebesian remnants into two groups. And thus, in a classical interpretation, the destruction of Zebes would naturally wipe out all the Space Pirates after some thorough remnant clean-up by the Federation.
Despite the fact that they did settle on such a planet without her at some unspecified time before Prime 3?  If they can organize a ship, they can organize a base.  Whether or not they chose to and when, is unknown.  But Zebesian Space Pirates, having never experience Mother Brain's guidance, are feral creatures incapable of either.

You're working under the assumption that all Pirates post-Metroid1 originate from Zebes, and we don't know that for a fact.  Prime merely states that it was Zebesian survivors that discovered Phazon on Tallon IV.

Further, Zero Mission specifies that the Pirates lost not only Tourian but their mothership as well, making their first defeat all the more damaging, and yet they survived.

If anything, Prime 3 contributes to rather than damages the notion of the Pirates being eradicated.  The numbered titles, no matter how you rationalize it with regards to Pirate behavior, run into the same problem: They lost Zebes once, they lived; they lost Zebes twice, they didn't.  The Primes demonstrate continued battles with the Pirates across space, and in Prime 3, they suffer particularly heavy losses, what with Dark Samus taking them over, their brief civil conflict against any who doubted her, the Federation occupying another Space Pirate planetary base, and the destruction of Phaaze, during which any possible space-dwelling Pirate survivors would have been left stranded at the site of battle anyway.  The loss of Zebes alone, however critical, has been proven to be within the realm of recovery, but the loss of Zebes following the loss of two other planetary bases in Prime 3 is quite a bit more plausible as contributing to the Pirates' annihilation.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #942 on: March 01, 2011, 08:38:13 PM
Whether we see them or not, that they exist is the only logical inference.
You're working under the assumption that all Pirates post-Metroid1 originate from Zebes, and we don't know that for a fact.  Prime merely states that it was Zebesian survivors that discovered Phazon on Tallon IV.

The Space Pirates we see in the Primes should all be the same, though. Prime2 refers back to Tallon IV, which establishes them as Zebesian. I don't know about Prime3s, but by virtue of Ridley they too should be Zebesian. These being the insect-like creatures with a hyve-like social structure, requiring a strong leader. Non-Zebesian "Space Pirates", however, could be anything. The Prime-Other M paradox is solely in regards to Zebesians, which are the series' antagonists, not non-Zebesians.

Despite the fact that they did settle on such a planet without her at some unspecified time before Prime 3?  If they can organize a ship, they can organize a base.  Whether or not they chose to and when, is unknown.  But Zebesian Space Pirates, having never experience Mother Brain's guidance, are feral creatures incapable of either.

I'm not saying the Zebesians are unable to establish a base of operations (as "nomads" they must settle down before moving on), I'm just saying that Mother Brain causes a change in their modus operandi. It just boils down to the fact that Ridley too, is at the core a (semi-)feral creature, instead of an organic supercomputer like Mother Brain. Ridley would however still be in charge over Mother Brain.

Prior to Mother Brain's influence, I figure the Space Pirates were probably a much smaller group that never had more than one base of operations, before abandoning it, to move on to the next planet.

If anything, Prime 3 contributes to rather than damages the notion of the Pirates being eradicated.  The numbered titles, no matter how you rationalize it with regards to Pirate behavior, run into the same problem: They lost Zebes once, they lived; they lost Zebes twice, they didn't.

Thing is, Metroid/Zero Mission didn't cause "the loss of Zebes", but rather "the loss of Tourian+Mothership". Their operations on Zebes were able to be recovered by the remaining Zebesians. But this is not the case after Super Metroid, with these remnants also going down with the planet.

In the classic the focus of our attention is solely Zebes, where the small group of traveling space pirates settled down and found guidance, hence a natural assumption that Zebes' loss would lead to the eradication of the Space Pirates. Prime however has a group split from the Zebesians, to grow and become seemingly more organized and antagonistic than ever before. This too, is probably a result of focus, as the actual Space Pirates appear little in the 2D games, but make many an appearance in Prime3.  The responsibility of taking care of this remnant overexposure is not Other M's, but Prime's. The considerable blows the pirates took in Prime3, as you say, should thus definitely be taken into account when it comes to re-establishing classic continuity after the series' little Phazon detour.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #943 on: March 12, 2011, 01:35:49 AM
You know what's delicious?

I know what's delicious.

The fact that Nintendo of Japan, for many, many, maaaaaany years, never once cared about making a truly wonderful and deep story for the Metroid series, with a good plot and details, with personalities and integral functions for every single character to have motivations, expectations of everyone around them and a coherent narrative, with all that comes around it.

And recently, seeing the success that the Prime series had with its incredibly well-crafted lore and environments, they decided to give it a try and finally create the world that so many fans had wanted for awhile, and to finally flesh out the characters and way things run through the universe of Metroid. They were finally doing what fans wanted them to do all along. To care about canon. To give characters personality. To make it so Metroid FINALLY HAS A TRUE NARRATIVE, and unlike Zelda, Mario and others, for it to be made coherent, and make things that happen in the games truly matter.

...and when they do it, they go full-on Twilight on the mofo. And the creator casually reveals... that he never actually thought about Samus' personality before this game. So basically... not just throwing the canon of the beloved Prime games out of the window, arguably one of the gaming trilogies to have a better sense of environment and ambiance ever made. But replacing it with a story that reveals that everyone's most cared-for childhood icon, a woman who is in EVERY. SINGLE. TOP. TEN. GAMING. HEROINE. LIST, simply because she is said to be the true feminist symbol of gaming, a woman who can do everything by herself, who is badass and amazing... was just wishful thinking on the part of gamers. All of it. Wishful thinking.

Because at the end of the day, your life's credits roll in. And M. Night Shyamalan appears. And he says:

"The twist at the end... is that you NEVER LIKED SAMUS IN THE FIRST PLACE! WHAT A TWEEST!" 8D

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #944 on: March 12, 2011, 03:37:50 AM
I still like Samus, but that's just me.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #945 on: March 12, 2011, 03:42:38 AM
As did I. She's still the best woman in game fiction to me.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #946 on: March 12, 2011, 11:54:10 AM
I love Link too, but that doesn't mean he has ANY personality to begin with. =P

Maybe one day we'll get a fully voiced Zelda game with Link voiced by Gilbert Gottfried.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #947 on: March 12, 2011, 11:58:31 AM
...I swear that one of these days I need to buy Other M even if just to see for myself how much you guys exaggerate about the story or not.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #948 on: March 12, 2011, 12:10:41 PM
...I swear that one of these days I need to buy Other M even if just to see for myself how much you guys exaggerate about the story or not.
http://moonbase.rydia.net/mental/blog/gaming/metroid-other-m-the-elephant/article.html

Here. This pretty much explains all problems with the Other M story in detail.

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #949 on: March 12, 2011, 12:42:14 PM
Or ya know, just make your opinion.