What do you want to see in X9?

CyberXIII · 55799

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #175 on: November 20, 2009, 05:13:34 AM
I have X7. Why would it be 50 Bucks...?

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #176 on: November 20, 2009, 05:17:05 AM
As in, you pay $50 and get a game like X7.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #177 on: November 20, 2009, 06:44:57 PM
Or we could pay $50 and get a game like X4, which kicks the [parasitic bomb] out of both.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #178 on: November 20, 2009, 06:49:04 PM
Hell yes. But like I asked PB, why 50 bucks? seriously, it can be gotten for far less...

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #179 on: November 20, 2009, 06:57:24 PM
Flame are you even trying?

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #180 on: November 20, 2009, 07:09:25 PM
o/~ By the way, if you walked in late,
allow me to reiterate: o/~

We mean a new game of comparable quality to the old games mentioned.  Hence the use of the word, "like".

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #181 on: November 20, 2009, 07:18:30 PM
Flame are you even trying?
I dont get it.
I mean really. who would buy X4 for 50 when I can get it for less than 10 on ebay or the used bin in gamestop?

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #182 on: November 20, 2009, 07:24:50 PM
We mean a new game of comparable quality to the old games mentioned.  Hence the use of the word, "like".

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #183 on: November 20, 2009, 07:28:46 PM
Is there like a "Most Obtuse Member" award that he's going for or something, d'y'think?

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #184 on: November 20, 2009, 07:57:20 PM
In this case:

Like = Similar To

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk5UrsuXo7s[/youtube]

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #185 on: November 20, 2009, 10:04:01 PM
I'd much rather get a game that has the quality of X1... but that's me. It's also highly doubtful.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #186 on: November 20, 2009, 10:47:54 PM
There are certain things about X1 that really only work because it is X1.  The armor upgrades in particular, outside of the buster they're all either not applicable or over-used by now.  The character designs are considerably more simplistic than the series in general, and the sprite style really tailored towards such (which is why I maintain that reverting to the SNES sprite style is a poor choice).

What X1 did right, which I wouldn't mind seeing revisited:
- Ass-kicking special weapons.
- Boss weapon effects outside of the usual weakness (incidentally we saw some of this in Xtreme2 with Ray Claw).
- Buster upgrade of at least triple strength, plus frikkin' shockwave (DAMN YOU, MHX!!! O:< ).
- Helpful stage-clearing bonuses.  Frozen lava, flooded jungle, and such.

Really, though, if MM9 made one thing clear to me it's that returning to roots and ignoring the advancements made are two different things.  I will never stop cursing the fact that Rock refuses to slide.  There is no excuse for that not at least appearing as an option or unlockable (WITHOUT double damage/knockback, thank you).  It's also hard to wrap my mind around the fact that some idiot still finds the MM2 NES weapon-drum appealing enough to copy-paste.  For all the audio manifestations of greatness in NES MegaMan, that was not one of them.

Returning to roots does not mandate reverting the visuals to an early stage, either (NSMB and Metroid Zero Mission come to mind).  And the X-series is, I feel, among the worst possible candidates for such an approach.  The X-series sprite style is the textbook definition of a lack of foresight.  They redesign Zero, who at this point is a long standing co-star, and the corner that they drew themselves into becomes painfully inadequate.  There is no reason to return to that.

And if the Xtremes, 2 especially, are any indication, then I think the devs are aware of that.  Despite appearing on inferior hardware, they did more than just scale-down the SNES for the visuals.  A lot of it is clearly based off of X4.  X's teleport animation, ghetto dash shadows, nearly all that is Zero, and even one of the fortress stages (which is rather odd when you consider that near all of the bosses are lifted from SNES).

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #187 on: November 20, 2009, 11:05:42 PM
Dont forget Iris.
It was just one room that was X4 though. (I still wonder how the hell that works. Berkana and Repliforce hire the same builder maybe? :P )

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #188 on: November 20, 2009, 11:07:12 PM
What I want to see in X9... Existance.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #189 on: November 20, 2009, 11:07:22 PM
It was just one room that was X4 though. (I still wonder how the hell that works. Berkana and Repliforce hire the same builder maybe? :P )
Two rooms and a hallway, actually.  The background at the start of the Gareth/Berkana stage is from the pre-Iris/Double area in Final Weapon.  In addition to that, the boss rooms for Gareth and Berkana are reminiscent of Sigma's first X4 room.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #190 on: November 20, 2009, 11:10:22 PM
Two rooms, actually.  The background at the start of the Gareth/Berkana stage is from the pre-Iris/Double area in Final Weapon.  In addition to that, the boss rooms for Gareth and Berkana are reminiscent of Sigma's first X4 room.
Oh right, right. I forgot that part. I just remember the demon face BG since its just so memorable.  A giant demonic face with a thing floating in its gaping jaws.

Offline Dexter Dexter

• Utterly jaded
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I was born with this face...
    • View Profile
Reply #191 on: November 20, 2009, 11:15:41 PM
Me personally, I would like to see an X9 with semi-32-bit graphics while it silll has a 16-bit feel, almost like MM&B. I don't know of you guys would accept such an idea, though...

SAMPLE TEXT

Offline OmegaZ

• Knows a hot
  • A-Class Hunter
  • Mmmmmm, Coffah.
    • View Profile
Reply #192 on: November 20, 2009, 11:16:44 PM
I say 16-bit altogether.

Something weird happened to my banner, please wait while I find a new one.

*Elevator music starts playing*

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #193 on: November 20, 2009, 11:21:06 PM
I certainly wouldn't object to SNES-style Buster sfx.  PS1 definitely wins for Z-Saber, though.

So far as I'm concerned the PS1 style is near perfection, especially visually.  But a new style could work just as well.  Actual 2D works a lot better than 2.5D for X IMHO.  And as a whole they really need to worry less about visuals and more about physics.  When the GBC out-performed the PS1 in air-dashing, that should have been a wake-up call.

Something Zan and I have discussed in regards to "SNES X9" is that the SNES style does not fit the current X-series style of storytelling.  The SNES storytelling is all done in real-time with a dialogue box.  Think for a moment how unthinkable much of the PS1, especially X4, would have been if this continued to be the case.  The moment you so much as show your first piece of full-screen art (outside of Weapon Get, anyway), you broke the SNES style.

Offline Sub Tank

• Neo Arcadian
  • PHOTOBUCKET EXPIRED
    • View Profile
Reply #194 on: November 20, 2009, 11:28:10 PM
The PS style, while nice and all, reminds me too much of bad level design.  I think they tried too hard to make everything pretty.  I don't ever remember thinking "I wonder what's up here..." because the stages were mostly just point A to point B.

The 16-bit levels were much more open and explorable.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #195 on: November 20, 2009, 11:30:38 PM
Get equipped with: X6

Most of the core level design of X6 is especially solid, more so than the other two PS1 games.  Definitely more so than X3.  Lots of nooks and crannies to explore, and there's always some work-around for lacking a boss weapon (which cannot be said for any other X-series game, SNES included).

Unfortunately, the Nightmare System (which is horrendous) tends to overshadow it.  You just need to realize it is an effect and not a level design.  Then try and figure out the lesser of the two or three evils available for a given stage.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #196 on: November 21, 2009, 12:09:12 AM
What X1 did right, which I wouldn't mind seeing revisited:
- Ass-kicking special weapons.
- Boss weapon effects outside of the usual weakness (incidentally we saw some of this in Xtreme2 with Ray Claw).
- Buster upgrade of at least triple strength, plus frikkin' shockwave (DAMN YOU, MHX!!!).
- Helpful stage-clearing bonuses.  Frozen lava, flooded jungle, and such.

*grabs Magical Talking Fish and smacks Hypershell with it!

YOU FORGOT MUSIC!   8D

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #197 on: November 21, 2009, 12:46:14 AM
*gives PB ZEE UPPERCUT!!*

Kickass music is something the X-series never stopped doing, sans Xtreme1 anyway.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #198 on: November 21, 2009, 01:01:02 AM
Marth: COUNTER!

It STILL should be mentioned!

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #199 on: November 21, 2009, 01:44:18 AM
Marth: COUNTER!

It STILL should be mentioned!
*steps in the middle*
It should'nt, and doesnt- need to be mentioned.
*gets blown away by the collision of PB and Hyper*

*gives PB ZEE UPPERCUT!!*

Kickass music is something the X-series never stopped doing, sans Xtreme1 anyway.
hmm. For my personal opinion, X8 is another. It's music was good, but a few tunes gratedon my nerves, and a few were very forgettable.