Official Bayonetta Thread (Now with Copious Amounts of Action)

HokutoNoBen · 41400

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #125 on: January 07, 2010, 08:38:08 PM
visit rodin often, he quotes the god damned merchant. >>

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #126 on: January 07, 2010, 08:39:04 PM
heheh, I remember that >w<

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #127 on: January 07, 2010, 11:26:56 PM
I know the girls that Luka names off are characters from Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe, and Okami (I can't remember one of the others he says), and two things Rodin says outside of the RE4 line are about Halo ("I always wanted to be a bald space marine) and Mad World/Evil Dead (something about how he won't put a chainsaw on your arm).

Dodge a lot, it's a very nice dodge ^^

I do dodge, the problem is dodging to activate Witch Time, so that I can beat the crap out of them >< Luckily a technique that shows up after the 5th/6th level allows you to mitigate damage taken so odds are if I mash the dodge button right before an attack, I'll either activate Witch Time, take less damage than I would have, or completely dodge the attack like normal. Playing a bit more defensively helps as well since less action = better sight which means better chance to dodge just right and activate WT.

The Fire/Lightning claws are pretty cool too, but the little costume perfume thing you can buy is pointless. Funny and cute, but pointless. All it does is add cat ears or a tail depending on where the claws are equipped to.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #128 on: January 07, 2010, 11:59:20 PM
Again, the thing about Dodging is that you have to do it at the LAST possible moment, before Bayo would get hit. That's what will get you Witch Time.

Think about it, as if it were Punch-Out, if it helps. Each enemy, including Bosses, has their own different "quirks" that basically help to tell you when they're trying to kick your ass. Learn these, and then practice dodging those attacks at the last possible interval, and you'll be much better for it. Mashing Dodge won't help you. Because Bayo only gets 3 flips before she'll go into a final one that you can't cancel out of, it's really not worth just spamming it.

Once you get good, then maybe you can try using other Accessories to mix it up a bit. For example, one accessory (my fave), basically allows you to channel your inner Street Fighter Third Strike player, and PARRY DAT [parasitic bomb]. Works on everything except things that would "grab/throw" you!  8D

Another thing you may be interested in, is the Beads. With this, you don't get any more Witch Time opportunities, but instead, you'll produce a "bomb" from a successful dodge, which can do quite a bit of damage in itself. Depending on the type of player you are, this might end up being a better thing for you than WT ever was.

Finally...another note. Put on English subtitles, if you already haven't. You won't understand a lick of what the big bad angels are talking about, unless they changed that in the US version. 8D

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #129 on: January 08, 2010, 02:47:40 AM
It's 4 flips, actually.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #130 on: January 08, 2010, 03:10:16 AM
I've gotten a bit better at the game, I watched a couple videos and memorized the tricks used in them. I'm also gonna stop playing the game since I'm only renting it and not owning it, so I don't want to get too far into it and crave more just to have to give it back (the rental place charges extra for late turn-ins, a dollar a day in fact :\). Plus, i have to get on with Darksiders as well.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #131 on: January 11, 2010, 09:18:19 PM
So is this game fun? Yes or no?

Offline Harruhy

• OOGLE BOOGLE
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #132 on: January 11, 2010, 09:23:03 PM

Seems like it, yes.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #133 on: January 11, 2010, 11:28:38 PM

Yes. Yes it is.

It's got the best battle engine that these types of games can hope for, while also being the most balanced of its type. Any one who loved DMC and/or Ninja Gaiden Black will likely find something to love here.

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #134 on: January 12, 2010, 06:42:51 AM
Yes. Yes it is.

It's got the best battle engine that these types of games can hope for, while also being the most balanced of its type. Any one who loved DMC and/or Ninja Gaiden Black will likely find something to love here.

I'd say even more so, NG had a terrible camera control scheme and I know DMC has some lag once in a while; there's a ton of crap happening in Bayonetta all the time and I didn't notice one frame of lag (not to mention Bayo has a bigger combo move list than Dante does in any ONE game of his in total), and the fact you can change weapons in mid-combo to pull off a different variation of it is nice, as well as how holding down the punch/kick button at any particular time results in using the special ability of the weapon (like pulse blast/fire bombs for the claws, firing any guns equipped, and the 'samurai' slash with the sword) to further change around how the combos work.

Offline Rad Lionheart

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #135 on: January 12, 2010, 06:58:38 AM
I wish I could play.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #136 on: January 12, 2010, 07:57:36 AM

It is absolutely kicking my ass. And I love every minute of it. I think I might replay Route 666 again. It was so fun.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #137 on: February 04, 2010, 02:01:55 AM
Alright. I just finished it. Though I don't have 100% yet.

I loved every second of this game. I can see how people claim how this is "the true DMC2". To a degree I agree. It's a great game with fluid combat.

As for the final battle: It was quite amazing and over the top. Gotta love that. But still, as great as it was... Mundus was a better bossfight.

Archer

Reply #138 on: September 20, 2013, 12:21:50 AM
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxrIoffNzX8[/youtube]

Anime studio Gonzo is producing a film adaptation of Platinum Games' Bayonetta franchise for release this November. Fuminori Kizaki (Afro Samurai, Basilisk, Super Street Fighter IV, X-Men) is directing, storyboarding, and shooting Bayonetta: Bloody Fate off a screenplay by Mitsutaka Hirota (The Prince of Tennis II, Tetsujin 28-gō Gao!, X-Men).

Ai Yokoyama is designing the characters based on Mari Shimazaki's original game art. (Shimazaki is also supervising the project.) Hiroya Iijima (Afro Samurai, Tiger & Bunny) designed the angels, while mechanical designers Katanao Akai and Takashi Watabe (new Evangelion films, Ghost in the Shell, Super Street Fighter IV) are in charge of the creatures and guns, respectively. Mai (avex entertainment) is contributing the theme song.

Unlike even in Japanese version of the original game, the anime film will have Japanese voices:

Bayonetta: Tanaka Atsuko
Jeanne: Sonozaki Mie
Luka: Namikawa Daisuke
Cereza: Sawashiro Miyuki
Rodin: Genda Tesshou
Enzo: Takagi Wataru
Balder: Wakamoto Norio

The film will play in 10 theaters throughout Japan for two weeks starting on November 23.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #139 on: September 20, 2013, 01:07:15 AM
Gonzo.
Ha ha.

Archer

Reply #140 on: September 20, 2013, 01:08:43 AM
Ha ha.

Yes, that was my reaction too.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #141 on: January 10, 2014, 05:35:29 AM
Gonna necro this thread...

So around the beginning of the year I picked up Bayonetta in anticipation of Bayo 2.

I've never played the DMC games, but I loves the [parasitic bomb] outta this. Playing more definitely makes your time easier after you've gotten some upgrades. I remember doing somewhat poorly in Normal mode, but actually doing a little better in hard mode, due to my expanded arsenal and [parasitic bomb].

That said, Hard mode kicks my ass. [tornado fang] Gracious and Glorious. [tornado fang] them so hard. grace and Glory were frustrating enough in Normal Mode, but their beefed up cousins in hard Mode are [tornado fang]ing ridiculous, especially since you cannot use witchtime against them. You fight Gracious and Glorious in normal too, but like, once or twice as special enemies. In hard mode they are everywhere, essentially replacing any instance of Grace and Glory save for The Vestibule.

If there's one gripe I have though, it's that the button presses don't seem very responsive when mashing them for Climaxes or Tortures. the analog sticks are fine and responsive enough, but the buttons I can't help but feel it isn't me being slow.

That said, Can't wait for Bayonetta 2

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amFu1hsOtuM[/youtube]

Seems like the fight will involve Inferno this time around, given that part of the plot is Gomorrah breaks free and knocks Jean's soul into inferno, prompting Bayonetta to go after her.

Also, dat short hair. hnng.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #142 on: January 10, 2014, 06:07:45 AM
Apparently Bayonetta is an unlockable character in The Wonderful 101 haha

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #143 on: January 10, 2014, 06:10:57 AM
... Timely?

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #144 on: January 10, 2014, 07:14:58 AM
Gonna necro this thread...

So around the beginning of the year I picked up Bayonetta in anticipation of Bayo 2.

I've never played the DMC games, but I loves the [parasitic bomb] outta this. Playing more definitely makes your time easier after you've gotten some upgrades. I remember doing somewhat poorly in Normal mode, but actually doing a little better in hard mode, due to my expanded arsenal and [parasitic bomb].

That said, Hard mode kicks my ass. [tornado fang] Gracious and Glorious. [tornado fang] them so hard. grace and Glory were frustrating enough in Normal Mode, but their beefed up cousins in hard Mode are [tornado fang]ing ridiculous, especially since you cannot use witchtime against them. You fight Gracious and Glorious in normal too, but like, once or twice as special enemies. In hard mode they are everywhere, essentially replacing any instance of Grace and Glory save for The Vestibule.

If there's one gripe I have though, it's that the button presses don't seem very responsive when mashing them for Climaxes or Tortures. the analog sticks are fine and responsive enough, but the buttons I can't help but feel it isn't me being slow.
That's how my experience was when I played Bayonetta for the first time years ago although I gotten the feel of DMC1, 2, and 3: Special Edition; however, up until Bayonetta, I became quite rusty with fast-paced action games. (The PS2 I was using broke and my brother sold the original Xbox along with Ninja Gaiden Vanilla and every game we had with it.)

I completely agree with you on Gracious and Glorious, they're a royal pain to deal with because dodging their attacks does not trigger witchtime. However, there is an accessory called Moon of Mahaa-kalaa that you can wear that allows you to parry and counter attacks by hitting the left stick in the direction of the attacker, triggering witchtime to your enemies at the nick of time -- including Gracious and Glorious.

[spoiler=Gameplay]And if their immunity to witchtime dodging pisses you off, just wait until you try Non-Stop Infinite Climax mode... -u-'[/spoiler]

Out of curiousity, did you play the Xbox 360 version or the PS3 port? I never had any input lag on the 360 version.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #145 on: January 10, 2014, 07:15:49 AM
Apparently Kamiya would like to bring the first Bayo to Wii U. Which makes sense.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #146 on: January 10, 2014, 07:25:52 AM
Sweet. Hoping it happens so Wii U fans can experience what they've been missing out if they haven't hopped on the PS3/360 bandwagon. I'll might want to pickup The Wonderful 101 if I ever get a Wii U.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #147 on: January 10, 2014, 07:31:37 AM
You should. It's chock full of references to a crapton of things and is incredibly fun.

And it's not just Bayonetta who is unlockable. You also get Jeanne and Rodin.

And Wonder-Director AKA Kamiya himself.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #148 on: January 10, 2014, 07:59:50 AM
Apparently Kamiya would like to bring the first Bayo to Wii U. Which makes sense.

Lets hope he does.

After hearing that the PS3 port is plagued with issues I'd rather not play it on there, and since I don't have and have no desire to own a 360 (Seriously why would any Japanese Developer make a game primarily for the 360 when its like the most hated console there, the PS2 sells more than the 360 over there.) I'd rather wait for a Wii U port.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #149 on: January 10, 2014, 09:10:40 AM
Lets hope he does.

After hearing that the PS3 port is plagued with issues I'd rather not play it on there, and since I don't have and have no desire to own a 360 (Seriously why would any Japanese Developer make a game primarily for the 360 when its like the most hated console there, the PS2 sells more than the 360 over there.) I'd rather wait for a Wii U port.
My older brother has the PS3 port, and I can safely say the porting job wasn't good after trying it out. The frame-rate took a nosedive compared to the 360 version, the visuals and textures degraded, and it had slow loading times. A patch was released that adds an "install" feature install data to the HDD (like any 360 game), but only thing I noticed that the loading and visual quality was addressed although I don't see a difference in the frame-rate.