Official Bayonetta Thread (Now with Copious Amounts of Action)

HokutoNoBen · 39809

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #75 on: November 11, 2009, 08:13:40 PM
I can't. Cause it downloaded it.

I'm still gonna get this though.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #76 on: November 11, 2009, 08:16:54 PM
Oh, well first off was it the full soundtrack? Secondly, can ya PM a link to where I can find it?

Also, what says everyone on the issue of the PS3 version vs. the 360 version? I'm hoping Sega & Platinum have been working to re-optimize the PS3 version, but it might not work out that way in the end. Sure, the frame rate issues (if we play really apologetic here) aren't too bad if so many people can play the PS3 version and still enjoy it tons, but I guess watching the 360 version videos at full 60FPS have spoiled me. XD

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #77 on: November 11, 2009, 08:19:46 PM
Oh, well first off was it the full soundtrack? Secondly, can ya PM a link to where I can find it?

Yes. And No.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #78 on: November 12, 2009, 04:06:58 AM
Soundtrack is neat. I've probably lost a few impact points by listening before actually experiencing the battles and events, but I couldn't resist.

I actually did listen to the whole 5 hours of music... that's a crapload of women yelling ohhhh and ahhhh.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #79 on: November 12, 2009, 04:08:42 AM
This is so not a game one can play around non like minded individuals. XD

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #80 on: November 12, 2009, 08:28:44 AM
At this point, half the fun is the cheesy and cheekiness of the game. The personality already sold me on the game months ago, but God damn, the action is magnificent. Like seriously, that first playable cinematic made me think of Super Mario Galaxy and Devil May Cry 3 all at the same time. My mind can't pocess so much good in one place at the same time. XD

Amen, in order for Bayonetta to be Sega's answer to DMC, it has to be just as cheesy as the series :P

I just hope that the controls are fluent and well. If the game flows that well on screen, it better damn well be that good in the hand. Just because someone CAN play with one hand, doesn't mean everyone WILL.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #81 on: November 12, 2009, 08:07:04 PM
Oh, don't worry, Bayo plays very well. Even with the problems that the PS3 version has (lower frame rate and no install, which means LOTS of loading being my main sources of grief), Bayo is still a great game. Dare I say, it's now right up there with Viewtiful Joe in being one of my all time faves.

Hopefully, a patch will be out by the time of the US release, though. Sega should have just provided P* with a MT Framework like engine, and avoided all these headaches.

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #82 on: November 12, 2009, 11:03:53 PM
^So the 360 version is supposed to be the superior version then I take it? Awesome, now only if I can get my 360 to go online XD

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #83 on: November 16, 2009, 06:39:11 PM
I was watching a stream of someone playing it. End-game boss was pretty crazy and the sequence before it was incredibly awesome. It's definitely a much faster DMC.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #84 on: November 17, 2009, 12:24:36 AM
Please don't spoiler anything though. I wanna be surprised.

I watched some gameplay myself which sadly included a major boss. But I can tell you that I really want this game now.

Offline STM

• Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #85 on: November 17, 2009, 03:52:43 AM
I honestly didn't know it was the end of the game until I saw "Epilogue" but I won't say anything... not like it'd matter. Walking in on the plot at the end makes it o confusing. :P

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #86 on: November 17, 2009, 04:10:25 AM
Bayonetta is definitely a wild ride, from start to finish.

Any way, I LOVE this game's OST. On some levels, "Fly Me to the Moon (Infinity Climax ver.)" is not exactly what most would imagine as a song to whup-ass to, but it works so well for the overall vibe of this game.  >0<

This game is most definitely the "DMC2" that I've been waiting for. owob

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #87 on: November 21, 2009, 08:10:08 PM
I came. I saw. I came. 8B

Also, here's a very interesting quote from the EDGE review of the game I liked a lot:

It's a beautiful and graceful fighting game that lets imagination loose, and winks before slapping Dante, Kratos and every other hero back to the drawing board."

Honestly, I fell in love with Bayonetta just because of how radical and blatant all of its elements were. That someone else was able to note this and take it as a plus really speaks volumes to the caliber of this one. Kamiya, you [tornado fang]ing rocked the genre again. Congratulations. 8B

EDIT - Ice Skates are God-[tornado fang]ing-Tier. I can't stop watching this now. XD

Offline STM

• Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #88 on: November 21, 2009, 08:29:43 PM
...God damn. And I thought some of the combo shows in DMC4 were spectacles.

Man, Capcom... DMC5 better take notice of this and try to top it.

though I'd kill to see a DMC/Bayonetta crossover. The two main characters are such assholes that it can only end well for the player.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #89 on: November 21, 2009, 08:31:45 PM
...God damn. And I thought some of the combo shows in DMC4 were spectacles.

Man, Capcom... DMC5 better take notice of this and try to top it.

though I'd kill to see a DMC/Bayonetta crossover. The two main characters are such assholes that it can only end well for the player.

I can only imagine what a DMC5 would be like now. I don't think Kobayashi's gonna sit back and chill knowing that Bayonetta has the moves as well as the looks. As for that team up game, that'd be [tornado fang]ing legendary.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #90 on: November 22, 2009, 04:56:14 AM
My main thing would be to question is if Koba even has it in him to match Kamiya, much less "top" him.

I mean, DMC3 was a good game, but all it ended up being was an expansion on Kamiya's original game. The original game's atmosphere perhaps suffered in the process to that sequel, which furthermore was burdened by having to make up for DMC2's failings.

DMC4 was similar in this respect...if not arguably a step back, due to some really "questionable" design choices.

Bayonetta is the end result of Kamiya's over the top antics and imagination given digital form. The battle system is one of the tightest, and also, MOST FUN I've ever had in a game of this type. Again, I can't stress enough how Bayo is definitely the "DMC2" that I've been waiting for, which neither DMC3, and certainly not 4, could deliver on.

The BEST that Koba can hope to do, at this point, is to take some serious notes, and in the process, find his own way to continue DMC forward. Hopefully, he's got such things in mind, even as he and his team are working on Sengoku BASARA 3 at the moment...  owob

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #91 on: November 22, 2009, 04:59:46 AM
I actually like the path DMC has taken and I think it should continue that way. What good would it be to have 2 Bayonettas? Let Kamiya make Bayonetta games and Koba makes DMC. In the end we're all satisfied.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #92 on: November 22, 2009, 07:13:15 PM
I actually like the path DMC has taken and I think it should continue that way. What good would it be to have 2 Bayonettas? Let Kamiya make Bayonetta games and Koba makes DMC. In the end we're all satisfied.

I guess my thing is, DMC used to be one of my favorite franchises. The first game was sex on a PS2 disc. After a bit of "sophomore funk", I thought that DMC3 was putting the franchise back on a nice track...then DMC4 happened, and my "hope" for the series has diminished yet again.  ::)

I was hoping that, after Ninja Gaiden (Black) already came along and gave the genre nice competition (at least, if we're not counting a certain other franchise, which I barely think should count in this genre), Koba already would have put things in motion to keep the franchise at its peak. Then along comes Bayo, which does pretty much everything I could have ever wanted from DMC specifically and this genre as a whole, sans through the guise of a new IP and with the most awesome lady protag in gaming since Samus Aran.  *o*

I want to see Koba and DMC still be successful, don't get me wrong. But I'm thinking that, unless Koba is willing to do the damn thing with the franchise, and actually do more to PUSH IT FORWARD, DMC is going to suffer as a result.

Well, at least Kamiya seems to be amiable to such a prospect of the two talents working together...

Picture: Bayonetta in the background with Hiroyuki “Koba” Kobayashi. We will do something together one day.

- http://platinumgames.com/2009/11/15/tokyo-game-show/

A good read of Kamiya's experiences at TGS. Also, well worth it, just to see this again.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #93 on: December 05, 2009, 05:11:59 AM
Alright, finished the demo twice.

Well, Bayonetta does make some very marked improvements to the Action genre. In addition to the Climaxes sweetening your victory, combos are fluid (provided you can remember them, because they're not intuitive, but that's on par for the genre), the controls are solid, and there is the one-button, catch-all Evade.

That said, it still needs work. DMC4 Nero's O-button arm was the last and only time I actually felt like I could tackle a boss. You do get a great sense of power fighting regular enemies, and she does make quick work of them. But when it comes to bosses or rivals, you are still at the mercy of your measly weapons. Any combos you pull may or may not interrupt the boss, leaving you no time to evade. That Evade function, by the way, is handy in that it's one-button, but you can barely see what move your enemy is about to pull whereas in other action games you have just enough indicator. Or you can at least see the bloody weapon or their arm swinging, for pete's sake.

[spoiler]I tried to think of it all as a backwards world where their Dark is our Light, etc., but that wasn't working out. I'm not sure I could play this game not on any part of the controls, but almost on a moral basis. Decent game, still.[/spoiler]

Offline STM

• Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #94 on: December 05, 2009, 08:42:42 AM
I love that questionable line drawn by humans as what is light/good and what is dark/evil. It's like... it's bad to kill a person, but is it really bad when the person would have gone on later to blow up a building, killing hundreds? Sometimes you've got to go "bad" for the greater good.

Hell, I wrote a story entirely where the main characters believed themselves to be in the right, but they were actually [tornado fang]ing everything up. Golden Sun did this too.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #95 on: December 05, 2009, 07:12:07 PM
There are times when you do have to eliminate those that are truly evil. This is unfortunate, but when there's no changing them, no chance for turning it around, no way of making them see that they're no better than the "evils" they're eliminating, then it's gotta be done. Note that if this were relative, it'd just be an ongoing cycle; I'm talking in terms of absolutes, here.

Tales of Phantasia, Final Fantasy Tactics, Braid (I think), there's been plenty of mind-hardknucklery.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #96 on: December 05, 2009, 09:02:01 PM
Wait wait wait wait wait...

Wait.

People actually give consideration to the themes presented in games like this? Wat?

Offline STM

• Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #97 on: December 05, 2009, 09:04:54 PM
Surprising, I know. It's fine in an RPG, like I listed, but in an action game? [sonic slicer], [tornado fang] morals, that bastard infront of you is going to kill you moral or not, so given him some divine/malevolent spanking.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #98 on: December 05, 2009, 09:05:42 PM
People actually give consideration to the themes presented in games like this? Wat?

Or any game, for that matter.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #99 on: December 05, 2009, 09:06:48 PM
Quite. Personally, I only let story get that rooted in my mind when I'm writing or reading. In the context of games, while there are great stories here and there, I'm mainly playing for the experience, not for the moral implications.