Castlevania

Satoryu · 237210

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #875 on: October 28, 2010, 07:16:44 AM
maybe phonetically na jus sounded more natural as opposed to nan?  I dunno o.o

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #876 on: October 28, 2010, 07:03:28 PM
Who knows. it sure SOUNDs like "berunades" when Soma says it in DoS, but maybe thats just me.

Who knows. Only Konami does. :\

I do. Japanese doesn't have honest to goodness V sounds. What is romanized as a V is really a U where the vocal folds are vibrating more. Sometimes they can force it out, but usually they'll approximate the sound as a B. Sometimes it's written with Bs as well. Vampire Killer, for example, is banpaia kiraa.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline X-3

• ???
  • Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #877 on: October 30, 2010, 10:29:53 PM
I beat Lords of Shadow a few days ago. It could've ended in better ways, but other than that the game was pretty awesome. If they're working on a sequel, I'll probably check that out when it comes out.

Working on trials/beating the game on highest difficulty now.
Some of these trials can be...annoying. Like the one with the mirror puzzles that demands near-perfection. And then a knight (usually) spawns right in the path you need to smack a mirror. :'(

I, uh, think I pronounced "Juste" as "Just" when I was reading about HoD years ago. Whoops?

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #878 on: October 31, 2010, 12:19:12 AM
Have fun with those titans for the trials, they're some of the more annoying ones.

Offline X-3

• ???
  • Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #879 on: October 31, 2010, 02:56:55 AM
Yeah, I don't think I want to see "HOLD RT TO GRIP" ever again. Always makes me nervous that something is going to go horribly wrong.

Doing the final boss's trial after the Dracolich's was...kinda relaxing. His VA helps. Woo, 110%.

Well, I bet it's obvious what I thought was disappointing about the ending...
[spoiler]Gabriel didn't punch Zobek in the face.
(I, uh, don't mean that literally though.)
In a span of several minutes, he showcased quite the resume of evil. More than I was expecting from him, at least. I bet he murdered Santa Claus and made Unicorns extinct.

...though, I have to wonder why he didn't just kill Gabriel right after he got the 2nd piece of the mask. Maybe I missed something.[/spoiler]

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #880 on: November 01, 2010, 11:19:02 PM
And here's the final part of the Retrospective.

They touched on this whole Belnades/Fernandez thing, and actually mentioned something I never heard before. This translation issue is more confusing than I thought.

Oh, and I don't remember hearing OoE took place in the year 1800. It's definitely in that century, but I never heard an exact date like that.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #881 on: November 02, 2010, 12:54:47 AM
What a great retrospective. That was nice. But damn, following that timeline is really something.

As well as some of the character lines

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #882 on: November 23, 2010, 05:56:40 AM
OoE had no specific date what so ever. It was simply in the 1800's.

Posted on: November 01, 2010, 06:31:57 PM
FYI Lords of Shadow shipped over a mill.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #883 on: November 23, 2010, 12:19:57 PM
That's good news for Castlevania, then. I just wish it was on a platform I owned.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #884 on: November 23, 2010, 03:39:28 PM
That implies you have neither a PS3, or X360. Shame on you.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Aresian

Reply #885 on: November 23, 2010, 03:44:15 PM
That implies you have neither a PS3, or X360. Shame on you.

*pops in*

That implies that all people have to have a overweight HD behemoth that plays Blucrap and a system that harbors XBox Live trolls. >_>

Personally, I have neither and I am very satisfied with my choice of the Wii.

Didn't have to sell my soul either.

*pops out*

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #886 on: November 23, 2010, 03:45:09 PM
Why should he be ashamed?

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #887 on: November 23, 2010, 03:51:04 PM
Because hes missing out on awesome games, like the one in this thread.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #888 on: November 23, 2010, 04:09:16 PM
I'm not going to spend that much on a console before I get a job and a more disposable income. Possibly not even then since I seem to have so little time for videogames nowadays...

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #889 on: November 23, 2010, 06:39:38 PM
Also assumes that all folks have the money to spend on consoles

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #890 on: November 23, 2010, 09:28:47 PM
Because hes missing out on awesome games, like the one in this thread.

YMMV. I'm halfway through, and I'm not crazy about the game. The puzzles, platforming, and the SotC boss fights are nice, but I feel the combat is a bit lacking, and quick time button presses have gotten very stale. And as I feared, it doesn't feel like a Castlevania yet, and I'm doubting it ever will at this point.

It's an okay game, just not my cup of tea. I'll see it to the end, but I don't know about a second playthrough.

Aresian

Reply #891 on: November 24, 2010, 12:32:43 AM
Yep. No point in wasting that much money on a would be. I've fortunately (or unfortunately) had the... opportunity to play a large variety of PS3 games without owning one. There is a very small handful of games I actually really enjoyed playing on the system. Many of which are not exclusives and can be acquired on the cheaper, more reasonable XBox 360.

And at the end of the day, I'd still rather play my Wii.

In conclusion, I ain't gonna shell out a buncha money for some whipfgts.  8D

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #892 on: November 30, 2010, 08:29:58 PM
Julius and Yoko came out for HD, 240 MSP each. Yoko starts with her three spells from Dawn of Sorrow. I don't know if she can get any more. Her staff doesn't heal on hit like in Dawn, her backdash was nerfed, and she can't divekick. Probably the worst character in the game, unless her spells get really strong when maxed. Julius on the other hand is pretty good. Admittedly swinging from Magnes points isn't as great as it sounds, but 8 way whipping is always a plus. He can't use as many skills as Jonathan, but if you've already got them as Jonathan, Julius can equip them right away. You still have to max them out, though. Julius also has Uppercut, and you can find his Aria of Sorrow backdash in chests.

And if you don't have the DLC but you're playing with someone who does, they show on your screen as Old Axe Armor.

Now to wait another three months for Maria and the rest.

Posted on: November 24, 2010, 20:53:43
Well that was fast. Richter and Maria came out last night. Haven't got to try Maria yet, but I know she starts with all four animals, Genbu being her RB, and the song book. She gets Guardian fist as a random drop. And the video from the beta showed she has a drop kick now. Come on, Maria can have one, but Charlotte and Yoko can't?

All my time has been going into Richter. He's really fun. Swings his whip a little quicker than Jon and Jules. Has the same 6 subweapons as Jules. His RB is a spin kick that's good to tack on damage and get a bit of extra height and distance. You can find his backflip, sliding attack and tackle from SotN as well. And some of his quotes are hilarious, namely his win quotes and portrait screams.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #893 on: December 27, 2010, 05:20:41 AM
So I finally got Lords of Shadow. It is really fun, and I have to agree with the Game overthinker on this one.

"Doesn't feel like Castlevania"? What? Really? How? Feels like Castlevania to me!
like he said-
The question has always been "will it feel like Castlevania," and from this the answer looks like "yes!" to me - I see a vaugely medieval European setting, I see classic gothic-horror imagery, I see an improbably elaborate castle and I see a Belmont wailing on stuff with a whip - that's Castlevania, as far as I'm concerned.
It's really fun too. Amazing. I LOVE the way whipping feels. That small little slowdown when a strong attack hits, along with the rumble, feels real satisfying. Physics feels good, rather realistic when Gabe jumps, the spiders... Nothin quite like whippin' your worst fears!

Actually, only real complaint is 3 things.

1. The manual- seriously, what the [tornado fang]? its so lacking. Back in MY day, manuals told more than just the control scheme. Its so lacking. Not to mention is incorrectly labeled the main attack button as the jump button. (On the 360)

2. when you mount something to either "tame" it or finish it, those rings appear and you have to press any button when they converge. Game doesnt do ANYTHING to indicate that. I had to fight the swamp troll almost 5 times before I finally managed to realize what I was supposed to do.

I suppose they thought it was obvious enough.

and
3. The game is made under the assumption that everyone playing it has a nice and large LCD TV. Thus those of us with older televisons have to squint our eyes out of our heads to read any of that damn Medieval Gothic-ish font. Its a real pain, specifically when reading scrolls or trying to buy skills. GOD DAMN, I can barely read it... Thank God Patric Stewart voices over the beginning of each chapter, or I wouldnt be able to read what's going on.

Those are the only complaints.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #894 on: December 27, 2010, 07:22:07 AM
I hate games that are widescreen only. Which makes me hate this generation a bit because a LOT of games are like this now. Not quite my problem cause my only system not hooked up to my HDTV is my Wii, and very few games I own on it are widescreen only. But playing at friends' houses? It gets bad sometimes.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #895 on: December 27, 2010, 08:30:55 AM
I know I need a new TV, but God damn, they don't need to FORCE me to get a new one through incomprehensible small letters!

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #896 on: December 28, 2010, 01:42:21 AM
Get enough people to complain and maybe they'll increase the font. It worked for Banjo Kazooie.

I don't know if anyone here still plays Harmony of Despair. If not, the balance patch has definitely made playing online better. You can set which chapter and difficulty (who the hell plays on Normal?) you want to play when you create a lobby now, and even after you select your party, you can still let people in afterwards. Only Charlotte and Alucard got the nerf hammmer. Heal costs more, heals less, and offers no invincibility. And the Yasutsuna's attack speed and strength were lowered, so you can't Blendercard with it anymore. In turn though, a lot of Alucard's other weapons got attack buffs like the Alucard Sword and Muramasa. Lances are stronger now. All the whip users' subweapons cost less MP, as do Yoko and Maria's spells. Yoko's fire and lightning also heal holy damage so she isn't screwed against Astarte anymore. The Robe Decolette now has a built in Chaos Ring effect. And there's a new drop for Chapter 7 gold chests, the Miser Ring, which adds 1 Attack for ever million gold you have. It caps at 10 million gold, but you can equip two and they stack. I got my first one rather quickly, but I'm still looking for my second.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #897 on: December 29, 2010, 09:48:58 PM
So yeah. Im REALLY not seeing how people say this "isnt castlevania" Come on. youve got a journey to a castle, a village overun by vampires and ghouls, castle sewers, then the various areas of the castle itself.

[spoiler]I mean, theres even a CLOCK TOWER. And the the way up to Carmilla's room is SO typical "Dracula staircase climb to the throne room" This game is if anything, more like CLASSICvanias, in that it is pretty linear. So i dont get what people are whining about. Just prolly butthurt that theres no pretty bishounens or metroidvania gameplay.[/spoiler]

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #898 on: December 30, 2010, 06:42:38 AM
Yeah, the second third of the game has all the iconic marks of a CV. The first third, not as much. Just some familiar enemies and a guy with a whip. The final fraction, though, is a whole nother thing. So for a good portion, sure, it does look like a CV. But does it feel like a CV to these people? I think that may be what they're getting at. I can't really argue for or against in that case as thats a big YMMV. All I know is I didn't enjoy the game that much.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #899 on: December 30, 2010, 07:06:39 AM
I guess its all down to personal opinion and what makes a castlevania game to you. From what I remember, in 3, you didnt actually start in the castle but outside of it, and you had to journey to it. And I think maybe 1 or 2 more of the classic ones didnt either. Not sure right now. Now, when we started with metroidvania, thats when it became only about the castle and no real stages outside of it...

Though, il agree the first half of it was really different than classic castlevania, although the intro stage was pretty castlevania. Nothin' better to start off a Castlevania game than a village under attack by werewolves under a rainy full moon. XD

though the sheer amount of nods to castlevania lore and characters is amazing. I mean, they really went all out with that.