HyperSonicEXE · 137041

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #375 on: December 06, 2009, 03:06:30 AM
Pretty much the way it was in NSMB for the DS.  Probably due to the fact that, while they were trying to mimick the NES battle style, the fact that Bowser is considerably larger than he was back then makes jumping over him a lot less feasible.

As far as that goes, I STILL say they need to go back to using an axe instead of those damn switches...
[spoiler=end game]And maybe a (golden?) hammer to knock out some key support beam or something at the end of the final battle, instead of flushing the lava-toilet.  Not sure, though.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 11:32:02 PM by Hypershell »

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #376 on: December 06, 2009, 06:39:08 AM
Mario fully talking (as Charles Martinet) sounds weird and would get annoying extremely fast.
What, like in those "Mario's floating head" videos?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMN-1iixSdY

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #377 on: December 13, 2009, 03:11:12 AM
Um this is a Super Mario game and all, but no one told me it was this easy! >v<;

I haven't lost any 1ups yet. ^.^ </wii>
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 01:32:36 PM by VixyNyan »

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #378 on: December 13, 2009, 03:18:06 AM
Um this is a Super Mario game and all, but no one told me it was this easy! >v<;

You will say otherwise in Level 5. Seriously, it gets awesome there. XD

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #379 on: December 13, 2009, 04:03:21 AM
How many Mario games AREN'T that easy in World 1?  Trust me, it'll get up there in due time.

And yeah, platinum stars are fake, but best of luck to ye anyway, Vix.  I'm sure you'll join us 5-sparkly people plenty quick.  However, I reiterate, that along the way:
World 9-7 will hit you like a Piranha Plant to the testicles.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #380 on: December 13, 2009, 04:28:06 AM

You don't have a Ninja Lou screwing the whole team thing up!

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #381 on: December 13, 2009, 04:47:10 AM
You don't have a Ninja Lou screwing the whole team thing up!

Oh yeah this too! If you don't have a teammate to watch over (be it for good or bad reasons), I can imagine the difficulty not being there for the first few levels.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #382 on: December 13, 2009, 04:49:00 AM
The challenge of this game lies with actually cooperation.  The more players you have, the harder it is due to them screwing you up.  I mean, it's Mario so you should have plenty of 1-Ups to spare.

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #383 on: December 13, 2009, 04:51:04 AM
So I was finally able to watch a stream of this in multiplayer today and it looked really fun and chaotic.  It was a nice watch nya, but jus made me more sad that there is no wifi/nobody close to play with >w<

It also seemed a lot easier, even though you are running and jumping all over each other it looked like you could jus bubble whenever you wanted to o.o

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #384 on: December 13, 2009, 04:53:04 AM
Yeah, you can Bubble-Up sometimes to save yourself.  Even so, it's still very chaotic, even with just two people.

But yeah, it's the main reason why I wish this game has Wii-Fii.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #385 on: December 13, 2009, 05:05:46 AM
It's easier, yet at the same time harder and chaotic in a way. It's something you have to experience XD

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #386 on: December 13, 2009, 05:12:26 AM
yeah thats what I kinda figured from watching it ^^

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #387 on: December 15, 2009, 01:26:52 AM
Played this with buddies over the weekend.

GEEZ, it is harder with friends! Ah, perhaps there's a reason Nintendo hasn't been doing co-op up until this point.

...well designing a 1P game but making slightly larger platforms and dumping 4 people into it is NOT good design. I was hoping this wasn't the case, but we all tried a number of levels. It was especially clear in World 9-2 that they were just ****ing around; we even tried picking each other up to 2 at a time to clear that level like 1P pros, but it wasn't happening.

Still fun, though. Just don't expect the same performance.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #388 on: December 15, 2009, 01:34:04 AM
With 2 players it's chaotic but very much a blast.  I've gotten to World 5 with my brother and nearly the same point with my wife.  I'm HOPING to do a 4-player rampage for New Year's Eve; we'll see how that goes.

Simply put, it's a whole different game depending on how many people are there.  It is so mainly because players interact and collide rather than simply passing each other.  If you ask me, it's ingenious.  It encourages you to screw around with each other and overall just have a blast while you're still on your way to rescue the princess.

And seriously, as with every Mario game, 1-Ups are in such great supply that it shouldn't matter.  In fact I'm wondering how the hell Vix *DOESN'T* have 99 lives by World 3.

If there is one thing more hilarious than screwing up your friends in this game, though, it's watching how the success of this game is causing the so-called "hardcore" gaming press to rip their hair out.  They cannot fathom that a 2D game that lacks Muramasa's eye-popping animations is outselling Mario Galaxy.  Case in point, and the rebuttal.

I bet my semi-local Wal-Mart is real sorry they didn't stock that one on launch day.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #389 on: December 15, 2009, 01:36:21 AM
I've played the game with at least 3 people, and simply put, it's more fun with the more people you have.  I think that's why they didn't make it where you could choose anyone for first player, because this game is clearly meant to be played with friends.

Having said that, they really should've made the game online.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #390 on: December 15, 2009, 01:45:43 AM
It is more fun with more people, now that's a given. Same's true for Mario...anything! Mario Kart, SMB DX, Sports spinoffs, Galaxy for pete's sake, you name it!

Still though, I wish you'd "passthrough" the other players rather than bump.

And World 9-1 had a few long jumps with enough Koopas, but 9-2 didn't.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #391 on: December 15, 2009, 01:48:59 AM
I dunno that I'd call Galaxy more fun with more people.  Second player in Galaxy is relatively pointless.  And sooner or later, second player realizes that.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 03:25:36 AM by Hypershell »

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #392 on: December 15, 2009, 01:57:29 AM
If there is one thing more hilarious than screwing up your friends in this game, though, it's watching how the success of this game is causing the so-called "hardcore" gaming press to rip their hair out.  They cannot fathom that a 2D game that lacks Muramasa's eye-popping animations is outselling Mario Galaxy.  Case in point, and the rebuttal.

I bet my semi-local Wal-Mart is real sorry they didn't stock that one on launch day.

As much as I LOVE their tears on this one, I am actively saying [tornado fang] them and enjoying my manic run through with just my brother. When my sister (the second oldest and only other person who can give me a run for money in most of my games) comes back from college this Christmas and we get our 4 Wiimotes, [parasitic bomb] will get real. XD

Also, Matt Cassamassina is truly a hit or miss artist on Nintendo affairs. He might get one or two noteworthy things to present every now and then from the Big N, but geez, he always sounds like he's championing that "derp hardcore gaems" agenda.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #393 on: December 15, 2009, 02:10:22 AM
Matt is a Metroid fan who wishes it was on the XBox360.

If his article convinced me of anything it's that "Hardcore" and "Casual" do not encompass the entire gaming audience.  Because NSMBWii is neither.  And I do not see it as an inferior Galaxy that just caught a greater piece of the hype train and fanboy attention to miraculously sell better, which is seemingly what the hardcore thinks of it.  I see it as exactly the kind of game I was waiting for the last couple of console generations.

Maybe we should just start calling ourselves oldschool and leave it at that? 8B
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 03:26:50 AM by Hypershell »

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #394 on: December 15, 2009, 02:14:23 AM
Old schoolers. I like it. 8B

You know, a part of me really likes debating and learning the ins and outs of what makes a game casual or hardcore to folks. There's an amazing psychology behind it. As much as it gets annoying to sift through when people want to be witty and edgy, just learning to understand it helps me out tons in the long run.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #395 on: December 15, 2009, 02:30:31 AM
Oldschool in the house. 8B

SNES = Greatest console thus far.
[spoiler]Yes, I know I said it was the N64 before, but then I realized just how many All Time Top 10 contenders are on the SNES.[/spoiler]

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #396 on: December 15, 2009, 02:39:38 AM
You know, a part of me really likes debating and learning the ins and outs of what makes a game casual or hardcore to folks.

Hardcore games are basically like casual games except with loads more bloom.

(Did you know, L4D2 forces you to go around copying and pasting IPs just to play on a server in your damn country? Seriously, I'm literally entering IPs in the console. It feels old school as [tornado fang]. Just felt I'd bring that up while we were on the subject and all.)

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #397 on: December 15, 2009, 02:40:29 AM
Hardcore games are basically like casual games except with loads more bloom.

I figured it was something like that. XD

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #398 on: December 15, 2009, 02:51:42 AM
Also hardcore games have BLOOD EVERYWHERE a lot of the time.

(I'd bring L4D up again but lol australia)

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #399 on: December 15, 2009, 05:29:43 AM
Maybe we should just start calling ourselves oldschool and leave it at that? 8B

How about simply "gamers"? I started on the PS64 gen so I'm not exactly oldschool :(

However, honestly, NSMBW seems to only give trouble to the press because pretty much everywhere I go the praise is unanimous.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.