Flame · 15489

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #25 on: May 04, 2009, 05:51:31 PM
I agree with you, Kit, but Gurren Langann doesn't suit my taste (I know it has a drill, but the drill may be too big for me), I'd like to make a reel of old-school anime, back when anime wasn't all that standard, I might look into "Those With Wings" sometime.. even if it isin't retro.

Yeah, people need to go retro when anime started simple.. with a plot and not powering up or in a standoff for like two episodes.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: May 04, 2009, 05:55:12 PM
For me, I think I've found one of my primary problems with most anime last night while watching Steamboy.  Granted, Steamboy's not a good example to use, mainly because it sucked, however I've noticed that one issue I had with it is the same issue I have with most anime, in that they usually tell you the subtext.  The message behind the series tends to be explained via dialog, and I'm not a fan of that.  To me, that's just a sign of poor writing.  I mean, it's a cartoon series, so expecting that much out of it is pretty fruitless, but even so, if they are going to have a deep and thoughtful message behind their series, don't explain it to people via dialog.  Do it via action.

Also, they can't write endings.  At least in anime and some live action movies too.  I don't read much Manga, so maybe that's why everyone says it's better.

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: May 04, 2009, 06:10:50 PM
For me, I think I've found one of my primary problems with most anime last night while watching Steamboy.  Granted, Steamboy's not a good example to use, mainly because it sucked, however I've noticed that one issue I had with it is the same issue I have with most anime, in that they usually tell you the subtext.  The message behind the series tends to be explained via dialog, and I'm not a fan of that.  To me, that's just a sign of poor writing.  I mean, it's a cartoon series, so expecting that much out of it is pretty fruitless, but even so, if they are going to have a deep and thoughtful message behind their series, don't explain it to people via dialog.  Do it via action.

Also, they can't write endings.  At least in anime and some live action movies too.  I don't read much Manga, so maybe that's why everyone says it's better.

May I recommend you watch Evangelion?

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: May 04, 2009, 06:13:51 PM
DZ: how much of Gurren Lagann are we required to watch? cause i stomached at least 60% of it, and just can't take anymore. [tornado fang]ing garbage it is.

Kit: *drops pants* you can have me.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: May 04, 2009, 06:14:49 PM
May I recommend you watch Evangelion?

I have.  I actually really like Eva...except for the ending. Both of them!  :)

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: May 04, 2009, 06:16:02 PM
Too deep for you?

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: May 04, 2009, 06:17:44 PM
Too deep for you?

No, just thought it was trying to hard, and wound up being boring, compared to the rest of the series.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: May 04, 2009, 07:29:48 PM
First off SuperKitsu coming in with the awesome. XD

Secondly, I completely agree with that article. Alot of things in cartoons have been dramatically watered down and "kid-friendlied" over the past few years. The fact that you can't find Looney Tunes on TV besides obscure hours of the day on Boomerang should be the biggest indication that something's up there. All we can do however is hope that people in higher places wise up and realize that censorship isn't helping any but could wind up hurting a lot.

Finally, just a few quick thoughts on the more recent topics in here.

I'm a product of the Toonami ages. I was on board that generation from the moment it began. Back when that block of television used to dominate the airwaves, I was hooked mostly because it was offering something completely different in style, fresh and interesting. From the art styles of the different shows to the content, most things had never been presented to me like that in such a manner before. You had your Dragonball series, Yu Yu Hakusho, G Force, Outlaw Star, Rurouni Kenshin, Tenchi series, Sailor Moon, Gundam series (Wing, G, & 0079 I think?), and a plethora of other shows, some of them western as well to promote a kind of balance to them (Batman: TAS, Superman: TAS, He-Man, Megas XLR, etc). Then there was the block itself, which prided itself on delivering a full experience through fantastic audio/visual designs (DJ Clarknova's intros and promos for the shows; the Daft Punk "One More Time" Midnight Run; the Toonami music videos ["A boy has the right to dream..."] etc.), animator highlights, and even video game spotlights. It basically just opened my eyes up to quite a few  different things. Adult Swim then used to compliment this with amazing yet more mature content like Trigun, Cowboy Bebop & Samurai Champloo.

You might looks at some of those examples and ask what did they do differently and to be honest, they probably didn't do anything radical. For me though, Toonami made me realize that there are all different kinds and quality of animation in the world and to somebody like me who has a very diverse taste, it was somewhat revelatory. I can't get enough of a lot of things, be it games, music, animations, etc. The reason for this is because to me, everything has a quality or element to it that I can find interesting and even enjoy with enough time. In recent days though, I find myself waning in my interest of anime, not because fan bases turn me off (if anything just watching the stupid around me whether intentional or not is half the fun -- see my recent history in Bleach & Code Geass for details) or I'm tired of the same old but mainly because no one seems to be doing anything halfway daring and different with it anymore. Anime in recent days almost always seems to pander to the same groups without branching any further like the older shows did. Could this be a misguided conclusion? Certainly, I haven't had time to prune through EVERY anime and find the gems. Then there's the fact that while everything that enjoys the limelight might not always be good, it's still worthwhile to me if at the end of it all, I enjoyed the ride for whatever reasons.

In short, I can't hate anime, or animation, just like I can't hate music because my kind of music isn't blasting on the airwaves 24/7, television because my kinds of shows aren't on often, games because one type of game is prevalent over my favorites or books because what I like to read isn't as proficiently made as it once was. All I can do in those situations is keep an open mind, look out for the things I've always liked and try something new every now and again. That strategy has yet to fail me so far. :)

.. And damn, I need to start condensing thoughts better. XD

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: May 04, 2009, 07:51:44 PM
The fact that I don't see The Bugs Bunny/Tweety Show on when I turn to Ch. 7 ABC at the appropriate time still bothers me.

The sad fact is that our generation is pretty much over with.  As awesome as Toonami was, it sadly changed everything.  It was almost too successful, and as much as I loved it, I think it's popularity with bringing Japanese shows over is one of the key factors to why US Cartoons are essentially non-existant now.  LoL, that and most of the gems of the 80's were essentially 30 minute Toy Commercials (and [tornado fang]ing how!)

However, as Cartoon Network grew and grew in popularity, watching local channel cartoons just seemed to lessen more and more, as did the quality.  As Toonami proved, they could simply bring over anime, dub it (decently or not), and people kept coming back.  So there was really no need to make US cartoons anymore, even though a lot of US Cartoons were animated overseas anyway. 

It's a natural progression, and as sad as it is, I can understand.  My problem is mainly with the censorship thing.  THAT's what upsets me more than anything.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: May 04, 2009, 10:48:12 PM
Indeed although I do enjoy some cartoons like what find in CW4Kids, TMNT or Secrets and Seekers? there use to be a time where you couldn't get me from the TV but nowadays (and witha short attention span to boot) I just cannot any shows on TV anymore since I could get on DVD or on the internet. I believe that there needs to be a balance somewhere between dubbing anime and "American made" cartoons where you don't have too much of one thing over thing the other. I hope I never encounter any tards in my career but I learned they are tards in every fandom especially with lok key shows like Haruhi. I only pray that 4Kids doesn't dub any other dark show and turn it any into a kids show even if I have nothing personal against them.

Offline Sky Child

• urine jokes
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: May 04, 2009, 10:59:41 PM
Dora needs to kick Swiper's ass.

That would be hardcore.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: May 04, 2009, 11:00:32 PM
Dora needs to kick Swiper's ass.

That would be hardcore.

*cocks shotgun after decapitating Swiper*

Swiper no Swiping... *blows smoke*

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: May 04, 2009, 11:35:50 PM
Its hard to say what I want to say without sounding ignorant or completely unknowing about the subject since any time I brought up a point, I realized it wasn't true entirely. Basically, it seems as if in some ways, we're moving forward in a negative light while moving backward in a positive light. Shows of yesteryear wouldn't get the same rating as they do now and shows of today are more childish and friendly than before (even if it is a kids show, look at Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, and a whole slew of older kids shows, like Batman). Back then, the way things were done, it hooked in kids AND adults. It seems as if people want to live in some kind of soft, cushy pillow land and don't want violence or real life knocking on their door and abhor violence at the slightest bit if it's not done in the way of something like Spongebob Square Pants. How many monkey punch jokes or gags have you seen on today's cartoons? Yet at the same time, it seems as if language or sexual themes are starting to slip in more. This isn't in today's shows, but rather today's society. I remember there was some ruckus about Halloween costumes seeming to sexual on little girls or something because of the way they looked. Then there's the fact that it seems as if women of today have the idea that more of your body is shown, the better you'll be in the public image.

It's almost as if society is juggling the same issue in two different ways and no one has any idea as to how to handle it. The place we live in today (as far as the US is considered since I can't say the same thing about other countries) seems to be so spread out on ideas and what is appropriate and what's not. We'll block sexual messages on kids shows, but allow sexual messages to be displayed all over public places; we'll block out violence and language on kids shows, but not care if those kids go and play something like Call of Duty or Halo or GTA or Manhunt.

The US censors certain things, and yet contradictorily display it else where in the public. It's like a sign that says that one group is voting yes AND no on a particular subject; just what the hell does that mean?

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: May 05, 2009, 07:02:23 AM
Censorship is the biggest demon when it comes to TV. It's why there's such a large amount of crap nowadays, everyone is too scared to try anything daring. Nothing is safe, nothing is sacred. I mean, come on, they sensor Looney Tunes. Who in their right mind censors [tornado fang]ing Looney Tunes? Honestly, it's just crazy.

DVD sets are awesome for that. It's why 9 times out of 10 I'd rather just whip out my BtAS DVD set and watch that over most of the crap they have on TV nowadays.

My interest in anime nowadays is very small, I must admit. I find myself watching the older stuff (Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Dragonball, various series of Gundam, etc) more than the newer stuff. I think the newest thing I watched was Tales of the Abyss, which kicked ass... but that was based on a game, so I dunno if it really counts.

Offline Ramzal

• B-Class Hunter
  • Don't sweat the technique.
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: May 08, 2009, 04:03:26 PM
I wouldn't completely agree on the censorship claims. I mean, yes, they do do a lot of shielding for the kids. But as a parent myself, I rather not have a cartoon for my daughter to watch--with say, Spounge Bob with his dick hanging out or him being a pimp. It's about making sure kids don't turn into vulgar little jack-asses. Need further proof of that? Drive into any area like in NYC where there are black people with kids, and their kids are dressed like 50 cent, and headbobbing to their father's iPod of Candyshop.

Censorship -needs- to be around for children so they don't walk around yelling "Where'z mah bitches!" (Kinda wish I was kidding about that.) I can see what people mean with the Batman show, but come on people. They actually LOOSENED the censorship knob since our days. G.I Joe? They shot at eachother on both ends, but no one was actually -shot-. There was an episode where the US government retracked their weapons because they were WASTING money on the ammo.

The 1990's Spiderman cartoon? Did you guys ever notice how Spidey not -once- slugged anyone? Now look at Spectacular Spiderman. They made it so that he fights more in style with his comicbook counterpart by using the surroundings and poucing on people and beating them to a senseless pulp with hands and feet. He's beating the -crap- out of villians, not handing them teddy bears.

And before I moved recently, I attented a parenting class with my wife and one of the biggest subjects was actually how tv has gotten more violent these days. Also, I call bullshit on the Looney Toon's claim due to those cartoons not being made in our time, but in the generation BEFORE us. As in, our mother's and fathers. My aunt we constantly show me the cartoons that she grew up on and say that WE got the watered down stuff due to Bugs Bunny's mishaps taking place when -she- was a kid.

So, no. You guys can't act like the shows we grew up on were that much violent and kids today are getting sugar sweetness, because what they are getting is the end of our era of cartoons. And I love you guys, I really do--well, maybe not Tickle--but don't you guys think you're taking it a bit too...obessively? I mean, it seems that the past glories of games and shows are held back so much here that it's created this uber-conservative whirlpool that what is old is better. NES > Xbox 360. Sonic The Hedgechog cartoon > Avatar the last Airbender.

Don't you guys think you're living in the past too much? And because of that, falsifed thoughts of our cartoons being more violent or well placed are created out of nostalgia?

Also, as far as the 4kids thing goes with the music, I spoke to my friend Pete on that. He is a director of Music Licensing for Avenue Music Group to the point that anytime you see a movie or a show with "Why can't we be friends", ANY Jimmy Hendricks music and some NWO--he caused the deal and sealed it to be in that movie/show. Basically his feed back is that it's a way to not pay licensing fee's and royalties to company's and artists. And that given that it's overseas, wanting to use that music would mean they'd have to pay a large bill to artists and companies and overseas would only cost -more- doing that, it would be a hefty bill.

And the fact that not many american's are into Japanese pop-rock, they appeal of the music would be low and supply and demand would be pretty much not there.

Now, you can say that "Oh. It's all about money! They just don't want to spend money!" Well, apperently, music licensing costs a lot. As in a quarter to half a million dollars for a popular song. And songs in anime's tend to be popular in japan, which means they'd have to pay so much money that pleasing anyone of you guys is just not an issue or one that's important.

Not to sound insulting but... all of us can barely pay rent on the places we have -now- and you guys want to complain about an issue that--if 4 kids rectified--it would cost them millions just so you can hear the japanese intro to Yugioh?

Come on, guys...

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: May 08, 2009, 04:37:10 PM
Look, Ramzal... I know what you mean. But there's a difference between having to put censorship everywhere and parents actually paying attention to what their kids are doing. That's all I'm gonna bring up concerning the kids yelling "Where'z mah bitches!". That's irresponsible parenting more than anything else.

The fact that they actually did censor Looney Tunes at all is a bit much. I have actually seen Looney Tunes, back when some channels still showed them as "Merry Melodies". Those weren't censored quite as much, and when they stopped showing those, I noticed the change. Shorts that were the regular 7 minute intervals before were suddenly a fricking minute in length in some cases (very few, but did happen), because apparently it was too violent, which wasn't usually the case. When it comes to racist comments and the like, yeah, I can understand that being cut out. But cutting out a good portion of the other segments was a tad much. Now, all I'm saying is that this is one case of it going too far, whether it's recent or not. So no, it isn't bullshit. Also, I have seen some Looney Tunes nowadays that are even more cut down than they were before, which was a more recent development. Now, some parts of Looney Tunes can be inappropriate, yes... but in these cases, it's the whole Short itself rather than a singular section. Some of the stuff they've cut out is overdoing it.

The reason I don't like TV nowadays is because the writing just doesn't seem as good overall. The reason I called out censorship in this case is because writers aren't writing as creatively as they used to (in my opinion), not because people weren't shooting each other left and right. I have read some cases where it was because they felt constrained a bit. Not to say that that's reason the writing can seem weak all the time, but the issue has come up. I'm not saying all the shows I used to watch were all that good either, but it certainly feels like the quality was a notch higher then than it is now.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: May 08, 2009, 04:44:43 PM
You censor one avenue of material. Or a few.

There are hundreds of other ways that that material can and will get through.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: May 08, 2009, 05:59:44 PM
non-standard anime, like Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu,
Haruhi
implying that Haruhi is a non-standard anime

Ha, ha... no.

Also, I hate censorship in cartoons and/or anime. That's why I like Justice League so much. Because, seriously, in how many cartoons of the past few years can we hear a line like "The streets will run red, with the blood of billions"(or something like that, said by Darkseid btw.)

Also, [tornado fang]ing mothers were the reason that we didn't get a third GODDAMN BATMAN movie made by Tim Burton. And it was supposed to be about Scarecrow too. I'm sure his Scarecrow would be fuckin' kick ass. : /

Well, I kind of did like Jim Carrey. ; f

Offline TeaOfJay

• Resident Talking Tea Cup/ Lazy Super Hero
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • ROW ROW FIGHT DA POWAH!
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: May 08, 2009, 06:44:23 PM
I would really have to agree with the mass majority in this topic: Cartoons have gotten too kid friendly. This isn't some misplaced nostalgaia, but something I've noticed. That's not to say that there isn't any violence in American cartoons, it's just that they don't cover dark themes anymore. Like, you know, death? I can't tell you how often I've heard "I'll destroy you!" instead of "I'll kill you!" In a sense, that's actually worse. When you kill someone, they're just dead. But, when you destroy something, you destroy everything that makes them, then kill them when they're a shell of a person.

What's also a bit disturbing is the amount of crap that's on TV. Seriously, trying to find something decent to watch is like trying to find a needle in a giant pile of [parasitic bomb]: No one really wants to bother, so they're either content watching the [parasitic bomb] or give up and try to find something else to do.

Usually (Note the "usually" there) Anime does seem like a better alternative to American made cartoons recently. There are some jems, like the Simpsons (I don't care if people don't like it, the new seasons have their funny moments.), Family Guy (Personally, I don't like this show very much. But it does have it's moments.), American Dad (The better of the McFarlin shows, in my opinion), South Park and Robot Chicken. Yes, I realize that those last two are papercrafts and stop motion animation, but they're still animated damnit!

That being said, all those shows I listed are aimed more towards a Teen/adult audience. There are very few shows made for "kids" that I would actually watch. There are shows that I do watch now and then like Chowder and The Misadventures of Flapjack, but other than that my main medium of entertainment is the likes of Futurama and Gurren Lagann.

But I mainly play video games anyways, so I don't watch much TV anyways.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: May 09, 2009, 09:01:14 AM
I wouldn't completely agree on the censorship claims. I mean, yes, they do do a lot of shielding for the kids. But as a parent myself, I rather not have a cartoon for my daughter to watch--with say, Spounge Bob with his dick hanging out or him being a pimp. It's about making sure kids don't turn into vulgar little jack-asses. Need further proof of that? Drive into any area like in NYC where there are black people with kids, and their kids are dressed like 50 cent, and headbobbing to their father's iPod of Candyshop.

Okay, you're being extreme on the type of cartoon that would be aired.  However, guess what?  There's a very, VERY simple philosophy to making sure your daughter doesn't watch that kind of show (and this will be repeated throughout the course of this post)  Simply don't SHOW it to her.  As the parent of your daughter, you are responsible for monitoring what they watch, as well as teaching them the difference between right and wrong.  Same as the parents of the kids who are dressed like 50 Cent.  Blaming cartoons, music, or other forms of media is just an excuse for bad parenting.  My parents played New Jack Hustler, Baby Got Back and LOTS of songs with profanity in them.  My parents showed me R Rated movies when I was 5, with plenty of cursing, awesome deaths, and kick ass quotes.  I turned out just fine.   

Censorship -needs- to be around for children so they don't walk around yelling "Where'z mah bitches!" (Kinda wish I was kidding about that.) I can see what people mean with the Batman show, but come on people. They actually LOOSENED the censorship knob since our days. G.I Joe? They shot at eachother on both ends, but no one was actually -shot-. There was an episode where the US government retracked their weapons because they were WASTING money on the ammo.

PARENTS -need- to be around for children so they don't walk around yelling "Where'z mah bitches!" It's called teaching them right from wrong, and teaching them what's socially acceptable.  I mean, who cares if they do it when they're in their high school years.  I mean, you curse and joke around with your friends, but if you're actually stupid enough to do something jail worthy, a LOT of times it's the fault of parenting.  My friend is a child psychologist at a school in NYC that's the kids last stop before juvie/prison.  Guess what the MAIN problem in their life is?  It's certainly not uncensored media.  It's their lack of parents.

And no they haven't loosened up Censorship.  G.I.Joe was an awful cartoon in the grand scheme of 80's cartoons.  However, they wanted Dungeons & Dragons banned from TV at one point because it was referred to as the most violent cartoon on at the time, and it was the best WRITTEN cartoon on.

The 1990's Spiderman cartoon? Did you guys ever notice how Spidey not -once- slugged anyone? Now look at Spectacular Spiderman. They made it so that he fights more in style with his comicbook counterpart by using the surroundings and poucing on people and beating them to a senseless pulp with hands and feet. He's beating the -crap- out of villians, not handing them teddy bears.

Again, poor cartoon choice.  The 90's Spider-Man cartoon was poorly animated, for the most part.  However, he did indeed hit people in the cartoons, web-swing then kicked them.  Also, it doesn't matter.  IT'S A CARTOON!  If your kid is going out and beating the life out of another kid just like your Friendly, Neighborhood Spider-Man, then you've done something wrong as a parent!  My friends and I watched ALL those shows, and we don't go out getting into fights.

And before I moved recently, I attented a parenting class with my wife and one of the biggest subjects was actually how tv has gotten more violent these days. Also, I call bullshit on the Looney Toon's claim due to those cartoons not being made in our time, but in the generation BEFORE us. As in, our mother's and fathers. My aunt we constantly show me the cartoons that she grew up on and say that WE got the watered down stuff due to Bugs Bunny's mishaps taking place when -she- was a kid.

Even if this class claims that TV has gotten more violent, which in terms of cartoons I absolutely disagree with, it doesn't excuse bad parenting.  Monitor your kids, spend time with them, teach them right from wrong, you know, PARENT them, and TV shouldn't be a problem.  And again, if it is, simply don't let them watch it!  And yes, Looney Tunes was VERY racist back in the day.  Disney wasn't exactly the poster-child for equality either?  I mean, have you EVER seen Song of the South?  LoL, guess what the Disney World ride Splash Mountain is based on!  Are you not going to take your daughter on that awesomely fun ride, due to it's CLEAR racial undertones from that movie?

So, no. You guys can't act like the shows we grew up on were that much violent and kids today are getting sugar sweetness, because what they are getting is the end of our era of cartoons. And I love you guys, I really do--well, maybe not Tickle--but don't you guys think you're taking it a bit too...obessively? I mean, it seems that the past glories of games and shows are held back so much here that it's created this uber-conservative whirlpool that what is old is better. NES > Xbox 360. Sonic The Hedgechog cartoon > Avatar the last Airbender.

Don't you guys think you're living in the past too much? And because of that, falsifed thoughts of our cartoons being more violent or well placed are created out of nostalgia?

Maybe some people in here can't, but I can, because I'm older and have lived through the years.  Listen, the majority of the 80's cartoons were 30 minute toy commercials.  The few that weren't, like the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon I mentioned, were definitely deemed more violent back in the day.  Hell even some of the others weren't.  What kids today are getting is either Dubbed Anime, or cheap Flash-made [parasitic bomb].  I have nothing against dubbed anime, since the US can't produce good cartoons anymore, but even so, they're being censored for parents like you who are afraid that because they're child sees a little violence from their cartoons, hear some nasty curse words, play some violent video games, or watch an R Rated movie, that it's somehow going to corrupt their child.

Take Gundam Wing, for example.  In Episode 34 "And It's Name Is Epyon", in the Censored Toonami Version, when Heero talks to Treize, the line "I don't believe in God." is cut from the episode, but shown during the Midnight Run version.  Why was that censored?  There's nothing vulgar, profane, sexual, or anything like that in that phrase.  It's just Heero voicing his opinion about his beliefs.  Is it right to censor that just so kids can't hear that the "hero" of the cartoon doesn't believe in God?  Did they fear that parents were going to complain about something so meaningless, cause they think it would teach their child that They shouldn't believe in God?  Where do you draw the line between what they can censor from us and our children, and what they can't?

And that's the issue with Censorship. It has nothing to do with older being better.  It has to do with scared parents telling the rest of us what we, and OTHER parents, can and cannot do/watch/play/etc, because they can't/don't think they can actually PARENT their child.  So they need to find a scapegoat, or something to blame.  It's been going on throughout the history of this country, back when Ray Charles came out, back when Rock & Roll first started, then movies, TV, music again, cartoons, and now video games.  By the logic of your way of thinking, if the Mega Man series was deemed "too violent" for children to play by the censorship bureau, and we as parents would be arrested for buying it for them, THAT would be perfectly acceptable because "Well, it's okay since my child will be shielded from this violence and those parents shouldn't be buying it for their child anyway!"  THAT's the issue with censorship.  It tells EVERYONE what we CAN and CANNOT watch, play, do, etc and tells us what is too violent for our children to be watching.

Ramzal, obviously I am not your daughter's father, therefor I cannot tell her what she can and cannot watch, nor say what is too violent or vulgar for them to watch or listen too.  So what the [tornado fang] right do these people have to tell me or my future child what is too violent for them to watch or listen too or play?  Just like I'm not your daughter's parent, these people aren't my future child's parent. 

Also, as far as the 4kids thing goes with the music, I spoke to my friend Pete on that. He is a director of Music Licensing for Avenue Music Group to the point that anytime you see a movie or a show with "Why can't we be friends", ANY Jimmy Hendricks music and some NWO--he caused the deal and sealed it to be in that movie/show. Basically his feed back is that it's a way to not pay licensing fee's and royalties to company's and artists. And that given that it's overseas, wanting to use that music would mean they'd have to pay a large bill to artists and companies and overseas would only cost -more- doing that, it would be a hefty bill.

And the fact that not many american's are into Japanese pop-rock, they appeal of the music would be low and supply and demand would be pretty much not there.

Now, you can say that "Oh. It's all about money! They just don't want to spend money!" Well, apperently, music licensing costs a lot. As in a quarter to half a million dollars for a popular song. And songs in anime's tend to be popular in japan, which means they'd have to pay so much money that pleasing anyone of you guys is just not an issue or one that's important.

Not to sound insulting but... all of us can barely pay rent on the places we have -now- and you guys want to complain about an issue that--if 4 kids rectified--it would cost them millions just so you can hear the japanese intro to Yugioh?

Come on, guys...

That's not censorship.  That's business.

Offline Klavier Gavin

• RPM Soldier
  • Einspruch!
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: May 09, 2009, 09:08:04 AM
Drive into any area like in NYC where there are black people with kids, and their kids are dressed like 50 cent, and headbobbing to their father's iPod of Candyshop.

[tornado fang] yeah, Racism!

But yeah, I agree. >>;

And I'm sure it's not just NYC; It's everywhere. >_>

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: May 09, 2009, 09:26:48 AM
PB just said everything that needs to be said on the topic of shitty censorship and retarded parents who know jack [parasitic bomb] about parenting.
I love you PB? Will you gay marry me?

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: May 09, 2009, 09:33:10 AM
If I ever get cockthirsty, I'll consider it!  :P

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #48 on: May 09, 2009, 09:39:28 AM
I feel I should dig out an old essay I wrote concerning censorship in video games and such...

But it's long, cynical to the point of bitterness, and it covers everything that PB already said.  So, I'll just pull out quotes and choice excerpts...

Quote from: Stewie
For God’s sake, get off your ass and do some parenting!

Seriously, it's not the media's job to babysit your children.  It's the parent's.  But even then, it's one thing to teach your child right from wrong, reality from fantasy, it's a whole other thing to encase them in a sterilized safety bubble.  There are schools out there that banned students from playing Tag during recess for the parents' fear that the kids may get hurt.  Other schools have eliminated competition in sports events for fear that the losing team's feelings would be hurt.  Wanna know what you end up with?  Soft, emotionally-maladjusted kids who never learn that in real life, you don't always win.  How will children handle loss later in life if they are sheilded from learning that such a thing even exists?

Quote from: Claude Ererra
Parents are responsible for what their kids play and for how they interpret what they play.  Blaming society is a cop-out

The same goes for what your kids watch on TV.  Don't ruin the fun for everyone by censoring damn near every single thing there is to censor just so your impressionable brood doesn't get corrupted.  If you don't want your kids watching something, don't let them watch it.  Simple as that.  It's not rocket science.

Unfortunately, bringing all this to light will not change a thing as parents will still blame the media.  No one wants to blame themselves because society sees itself as perfect and flawless.  If someone is wrong with their kid, it is a psychological problem.  Their child is acting out what they see on TV?  Blame the media because obviously those cartoons have warped their impressionable young minds!  So now, any imported anime is watered-down, butchered and dumbed-down or else the Concerned Mothers of America will throw a right-winged hissy-fit.

Offline TeaOfJay

• Resident Talking Tea Cup/ Lazy Super Hero
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • ROW ROW FIGHT DA POWAH!
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: May 09, 2009, 09:58:43 AM
Personally, I blame the media blamers for corrupting children.