Ancient Theories/Fanon

The Great Gonzo · 91013

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #150 on: January 14, 2009, 05:18:44 AM
and like, windows 95 or so.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Rodrigo Shin

• Not a Zero series
  • Resistance Member
    • View Profile
    • Ácido Cinza
Reply #151 on: January 14, 2009, 05:31:28 AM
I never had much of a problem with transparency - one of these "CD-Rom magazines" that were all the rage here in Brazil before the Internet catched on came with a handy light program called "Microsoft Gif Animator" that made everything so much easier.

I just remembered a rather awesome bit of fanon. This cat here decides to attempt translating the climax of X3's manga. No scans. Just what's happening, and the pages.

And then where it should be "X" ("Ekkusu"), they put it as "YAKASA".

Don't ask me, but if this person can't get their katakana straight, I wonder about the rest.

For a small portion of the community for a while X's "true name" was "Yakasa".

The reason for retcon is to cancel out contradictions
a retcon is a last resort to erase a contradiction
Guys, please let me know when did Gwen Stacy getting retroactively impregnated with Goblin Twins solve any contradiction whatsoever and didn't create a whole set of new ones. TTFN

--

Whenever it comes to "consensus" and things alike, always remember Tony Bullet-Tooth's sage advice:
"You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #152 on: January 14, 2009, 05:43:33 AM
I just remembered one... Auto is still alive.
no wait- 8D

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline marshmallow man

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #153 on: January 14, 2009, 07:46:20 AM
And then where it should be "X" ("Ekkusu"), they put it as "YAKASA".

I remember that. I can't vouch for the certainty of this explanation, but I've heard that this had to do with the way "X" was translated into a different language, either Chinese or Korean. I can't say for sure that the translator was using either of those rather than the Japanese version, just saying, that's the excuse I heard. Based on what I've heard about how some mangas are adapted to Chinese and such, it seems plausible.

Speaking of rough translations, I remember back in the day that a lot of Rockman & Forte ROM fan trans patches made up a lot of their dialogue, inserting things like "HADOUKEN" or "KAMEHAMEHA" for Blues' Big Bang Strike and such. And years later, a push for "Retranslation" patches for the X series games, by someone called TDOMMX IIRC, doing a mediocre job with the first X game and just dropping off the face of the planet sometime after that. Good times.

Offline Rodrigo Shin

• Not a Zero series
  • Resistance Member
    • View Profile
    • Ácido Cinza
Reply #154 on: January 14, 2009, 06:00:51 PM
Speaking of rough translations, I remember back in the day that a lot of Rockman & Forte ROM fan trans patches made up a lot of their dialogue, inserting things like "HADOUKEN" or "KAMEHAMEHA" for Blues' Big Bang Strike and such. And years later, a push for "Retranslation" patches for the X series games, by someone called TDOMMX IIRC, doing a mediocre job with the first X game and just dropping off the face of the planet sometime after that. Good times.
I don't remember whether I was on that game's credits or not - but I was in close contact with TDOMMX back then.

But the lead translator was Boco.

So, "Zero died in vain [like a dog]" became "You'll soon be reunited with your DEAR ZERO!". Whoddathunk eh?

I think that wasn't in the patched ROM itself, since before the ROM was released someone who knew more Japanese came in and debunked that and some other fanon unproperly labelled as such.

Wily paranoia was in full rage with "recent" gamebook info concering Serges and Isoc, so everybody was like "IT WAS SOMEBODY ELSE PULLING SIGMA'S STRINGS BEGINNING WITH X1!".

Editing-wise [altering the ROM structure to accomodate the different chunks of text], though, I think he did a good job. For what's written in the translation I can't vouch since I don't even remember the retranslated script and because of what I said above, but it was an honest effort. Both Xtremes were in the "ToDo" list, but then Boco quit the Community and TDOMMX got that thing we all need to get sooner or later: a life.

The reason for retcon is to cancel out contradictions
a retcon is a last resort to erase a contradiction
Guys, please let me know when did Gwen Stacy getting retroactively impregnated with Goblin Twins solve any contradiction whatsoever and didn't create a whole set of new ones. TTFN

--

Whenever it comes to "consensus" and things alike, always remember Tony Bullet-Tooth's sage advice:
"You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

Offline Slash Man

• Resistance Member
  • NES Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Mega Stuff
Reply #155 on: January 18, 2009, 07:44:07 AM
On the topic of Wily in the X series: I would never want to see Wily actually die, but I'm fine with that being "inferred." However, I don't want him to be brought back in person by any "weird" ways, like his brain being transferred into a robot or something. Although I don't want to believe Serges is actually Wily, their tie-ins with him are almost undeniable, like Isoc (Although I'm still baffled by how Serges knows X so personally). As for getting to X's time himself, I think he just uses his handy-dandy Time Skimmer.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #156 on: January 18, 2009, 08:59:19 AM
Id like Wily to remain the way he was in X2-X4. this force behind the scenes which observes his creation almost like a ghost. i didnt mind him in X5 as a major element, or in X6 as another slightly major element, but when hes so major, it ties in  with Wily TOO much. at leat in the other games you wernt quite sure what to think. then theres Snipe Anteaters speech to Zero.

Snipe- "Heheh. Very well. But you've forgotten your True mission!"

Zero- "My true mission?"

Snipe- "I see Data buried deep within you... Is it Memories of the future, or false images of the past?"

Zero- "..."
Snipe- "blue- The lies that have infested the earth.
Red- Those destroyed and sealed away forever."

I appreciated that really subtle reference. which is how wily should be. as this reference that is invisible and does not make direct contact with the characters but still manages to make his presence known.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #157 on: January 18, 2009, 01:17:52 PM
Anteater IS indeed very questionable. X7 passes him off as a person that can figure people out using his cyberspace knowledge, on first glance this is not really as mysterious as the characters of Isoc and Serges. Of course, it is still quite a questionable feat how he accurately predicted certain matters in relation to X and Zero.

If you're going to relate Anteater to Wily, he certainly fits the bill in quite a few aspects. That is, if he didn't get controlled by Sigma, and if he didn't actually give X compliments for getting through his stage... Though, he does very craftily verbally trash X, and it's not like X's success in the stage meant upstaging Zero..... Also odd, he still seeks data on Axl whilst he has been a Red Alert member for some time...

All in all, I think Anteater exists to muddle the waters a bit. Showing us weird old coots like that also can exist without naturally relating to Wily. Kinda like a way to avoid suspicion of Isoc and Serges.

Also, most of Anteater's words reference to the ZERO-series, not so much to Wily...

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #158 on: January 18, 2009, 07:26:31 PM
If we're just saying what we'd like to see happen, I'd like Wily and the classic series just dealt with in the X series.  Make Wily do his final attack, have Light's hologram deliver it's final message and end it properly already. 

More ancient fanon was that Wily made the vast majority of his own robots.  Turns out he stole at least half of the Wily Numbers.

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #159 on: January 18, 2009, 07:44:16 PM
It seems that Wily didn´t made the RM´s from: MM1,4,6,Forte,9......

I still think that wily will turn himself into a RM to have a final fight with Rockman

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #160 on: January 18, 2009, 07:46:12 PM
It seems that Wily didn´t made the RM´s from: MM1,4,6,Forte,9......

I still think that wily will turn himself into a RM to have a final fight with Rockman
We knew about those RMs back in the day.  He also stole Shademan, the MM3 RMs, and possibly others.  I'm blanking on the entire list, but it was more than just the obvious ones.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #161 on: January 18, 2009, 07:54:53 PM
He didn't steal Shadowman per se, but he still wasn't Wily's originally. He also stole Astroman and Clownman, if Pixelboy's bios are to be believed.

Speaking of which, they were written so believably (apart from some stodgy grammar) that I thought they were canon. At least they bothered to explain everyone's weaknesses and personalities.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #162 on: January 18, 2009, 08:09:22 PM
Heh, they are not to be believed.  They were totally made up by him.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #163 on: January 18, 2009, 08:15:12 PM
Astroman WAS created by Wily I think. it was to control the minds of the people who went to the planetarium? something like that.
Clownman he took in, from a cancelled show. he kept him to laugh at his arms pretty much.

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #164 on: January 18, 2009, 08:16:32 PM
I think he found shadowman just like he did find the Space Rulers

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #165 on: January 18, 2009, 09:00:40 PM
We knew about those RMs back in the day.  He also stole Shademan, the MM3 RMs, and possibly others.  I'm blanking on the entire list, but it was more than just the obvious ones.

I really don't think he stole them. Rather, they're robots he made in collaboration with Dr. Right. As SAR notes, they and the robots from 2 are the most special to him.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #166 on: January 18, 2009, 09:02:44 PM
I really don't think he stole them. Rather, they're robots he made in collaboration with Dr. Right. As SAR notes, they and the robots from 2 are the most special to him.
Well, he stole them insofar as they were not made for the purpose of world-conquering or destroying Megaman.  They were made for different, practical, application.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #167 on: January 19, 2009, 06:29:43 PM
not really. they WERE made to kill megaman. though the were not initially built with some of their weapon capabilities, as to not have light suspect anything untill he was ready.

Offline Robert Oakes

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #168 on: January 20, 2009, 12:22:52 AM

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #169 on: January 20, 2009, 12:24:34 AM
They all had jobs. Unlike the MM2 guys who were specifically designed to kill MM.  

Edit:
http://www.themmnetwork.com/wiki/index.php?title=Needle_Man

- Case in point.  Needle was made to whittle away rocks for miners.  NOT to kill Megaman. 

Edit: And even if Wily helped to make them, that's about half the work.  Light did the other half, at least.  So he still stole them because they were not wholly designed by him, and certainly not for killing MM.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #170 on: January 20, 2009, 12:37:33 AM

Offline Slash Man

• Resistance Member
  • NES Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Mega Stuff
Reply #171 on: January 20, 2009, 01:57:24 AM

I'm pretty sure it's a suit. Besides, if he was turned "robot," how could he be turned back in time for Mega Man 8?

Offline Robert Oakes

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #172 on: January 20, 2009, 02:44:59 AM
I'm pretty sure it's a suit. Besides, if he was turned "robot," how could he be turned back in time for Mega Man 8?

It was a joke.

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #173 on: January 20, 2009, 05:02:31 PM
Always when I mention Robo-Wily someone shows that picture  ::)

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #174 on: January 20, 2009, 07:07:53 PM

Edit: And even if Wily helped to make them, that's about half the work.  Light did the other half, at least.  So he still stole them because they were not wholly designed by him, and certainly not for killing MM.

Why would Light have any thing to do with them when both have proven to be able of making robots on their own in record time? At best Light approved of Wily's activities, but Wily is too prideful to let Light touch any of his work. What would happen is that Wily would limit his designs for peaceful purposes, create many robots, and of those select 7 to reclaim and convert for combat.