Ultra Turbo Super Extreme "What are you thinking?" Electric Boogaloo Alpha EX ed

Dr. Wily II · 503192

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Life is Strange episode 5... Oh boy. You done [tornado fang]'d up, huh?

Okay, there are SO many things wrong with the ending, but I will say, the journey was fantastic.

[spoiler]Everyone's biggest problem with this finale is that Max went back in time to erase everything. Meaning, all the decisions we made in the previous episodes amounted to nothing. All the emotional choices, sacrifices we made for Chloe and saving Kate from committing suicide... It's all gone.

Therein lies the problem with player choice and time travel. You invest so much into these characters and spend precious time setting things right, but this episode flips you a huge middle finger by resetting everything.

Not to mention there's absolutely NO reason for Max to have these powers if altering time will just cause the apocalypse. It feels like an entire contradiction and whoever bestowed this gift onto Max had sick satisfaction in watching her torment herself.

It's a shame, since most everything before the ending was flawless. The atmosphere, Nathan's message, saying goodbye to Warren, the constant state of foreboding dread, the heart breaking sequences with Chloe; it was amazing. Wonderful voice acting, too.

But wow, they really dropped the ball in that ending. Player choice actually worked against them, since everyone's efforts didn't pay off at all.

Also, there are some major plot threads left unresolved.
[/spoiler]

Episode 1-4, though? Excellent. Most of episode 5, wonderful. But the ending soured it. In possibly the worst way to end a game, comparable to Mass Effect 3's ending.

Oh well, it was damn fun while it lasted.

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
i've only read very brief summaries so can you explain as to why

[spoiler]saving Chloe causes the town to get destroyed[/spoiler]

because with no context it sounds incredibly stupid.

edit: when will my avatar come back goddammit dropbox.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
i like keeping proper track of things within windows explorer and being able to delete them if i want

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
You can link your Imgur to Google+.  That's what I did and I only use it for avatars and similar pics that require a more permanent hosting.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
i've only read very brief summaries so can you explain as to why

[spoiler]saving Chloe causes the town to get destroyed[/spoiler]

because with no context it sounds incredibly stupid.

edit: when will my avatar come back goddammit dropbox.

Unfortunately, it's as bad as it sounds. The game leads you to believe that Max and Chloe's lives are somehow linked to the tornado. And since Chloe dies multiple times in this game, it seems like that may be her destiny, for some reason or another.

Which is all fine and good, except for the fact that it's never explained WHY.

That is not okay. The foreboding threat of the tornado is a monumental part of the story, but the writers apparently couldn't think of a plausible reason for why it's even happening.

[spoiler]For all the more neatly woven plot threads they explained, like Jefferson kidnapping and murdering girls, sacrificing William so Chloe can have a better life, Nathan's connection to the Dark Room, and so on, there are major plot points that are left entirely to suggestion.

The tornado is explained as nothing more than "the result of Max's powers", and in order to stop it from destroying Arcadia Bay, they believe the only way is to allow Chloe to be murdered by Nathan, all the way back in Episode 1. This is where all of your past choices crumble at your feet; every decision resets.

Initially, when Chloe is saved from getting murdered in the restroom, they theorize that is what causes the tornado. The butterfly effect is a constant motif in this series, and you first see the mysterious butterfly at that moment, when Nathan is about to kill Chloe. Some fans speculate that the butterfly is Chloe's reincarnation and it's leading Max to that moment, so she can prevent the disaster.

Conversely, by saving Chloe's life, you're permitting the tornado to demolish the town. No one wins. All that remains are two bittersweet endings.

If you care to see the Chloe sacrifice ending, here you go.

They even share a lesbian kiss, depending on the choices you make throughout the game.

http://youtu.be/uEPMI7DGoVw
[/spoiler]

But yeah, if you ask me, I think the writers got ahead of themselves. They wanted to make a deep time travel story and crafted this entire build up, but they stumbled over the various plot points and ended up with a cliche ending and zero explanations for the most predominant questions.

It's their excuse to lay everything on the players and have them speculate, rather than wrapping up their own damn story in a way that makes sense.

I mean, Life is Strange is still good, with a fair amount of incredibly emotional moments, but... god, Episode 5 is the Phantom Pain of this series.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts

Now it glows.  Cheaply.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
That should totally be your new avatar. D:

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
i

am [tornado fang]ing sick

on top of everything else

yaaaaay

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Done! 8D
SO COMPELLING

i

am [tornado fang]ing sick

on top of everything else

yaaaaay
you need a hug *hugs*

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Got bored.  Drew this.

Offline NitroWhite

• Java Maker
  • Robot Master
  • I hate all of you
    • View Profile
The move back to Windows 7 was a bit hectic but I'm glad I could return. I missed actually being able to theme Windows and customize without everything breaking (W10). I'll probably wait a year or so for Windows 10. Even though it works rather well in many areas, there's too little documentation of problems and fixes on the internet. There are some as I had the misfortune to discover. It's really hard to find fixes to problems that are Windows 10 specific in nature and makes troubleshooting on Windows more of a nightmare than it already is.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Got bored.  Drew this.

I love this so much!

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
http://youtu.be/nWHUjuJ8zxE

She captures Jessica's appearance PERFECTLY.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
You have no idea. I saw the first episode at the NYCC panel and holy [tornado fang]. My mind was blown as to how good it was.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
http://store.steampowered.com/app/251290/

I am so excited to buy this game twice or more and further spend at least $10 on its steam cards.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
It's made by the same people who made the Ys series right?

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Yep. Basically its turn-based counterpart with much larger story focus.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Okay I'll definitely remember to put that on my massive Wishlist.

EDIT:  So I have about $450 saved up from saving change and occasionally putting extra money into the money box so to speak.  I think I'll save it to buy an Alienware Desktop once I'm out of College and we finish emptying out my brother's room so to speak after he moves out.  That will take at least a year more or less I think.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
why would you buy an alienware desktop

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Because I want to make Let's Plays, as a hobby mind you, and it seems to be a good system to do that.  Why do you have a better, cheaper, non Dell option besides build it myself which I know nothing about?  Or some opinion about why it sucks that would help me make a better informed decision? 

Seriously I would like to hear some input on this since I'm a little iffy on Dell myself but have heard good things about Alienware.  I also don't like how I have to get my own keyboard and mouse separately.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
*waits and waits for Irgie's avatar to fail to load*

At least use Imgur or Photobucket, or SOMETHING in the interim.  Dropbox is the worst thing to use for an avatar.  It's very unreliable.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Also the worst thing for videos if Vyse's wrestling thread is anything to go by.