General RP Discussion topic

Police Girl · 179084

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #2625 on: April 08, 2014, 05:25:55 AM
Oh, slight update on the battle royal system...

I bounced some ideas off of Ringman and we discussed various systems.  The best way to do this would be Wushu, as it was developed for a forum to begin with.  It can be modified easily for an all-action system, with modified stats. 

I'm also looking into Basic Roleplaying System, which is used for the Call of Cthulhu game.  Call of Cthulhu is a primarily story-based system, and I was thinking of modifying it for the forum.  However, if you look through those rules, you'll notice the other rules for loot, experience, usage of a d100, and such.

The parts I'm considering using from those rules would be the resistance table, stats, and the percentage die (which I have).  I'll work on a system from that and play test it and see if it works.

Basically, when we hashed this out, we determined that in order to keep god-moding to a minimum, there needs to be a random element.  The system won't work without that element, be it a table, a coin, or dice.  Having one person as the designated DM would be the best idea, as they can oversee all the other stats.

Modifying Wushu would be the best way to go, as it can be slimmed down to just stats and dice rolls.  I'm still looking at the BRS, though, and I'll do some searches for other forum RPG systems.

That sounds awesome, Quickie! I really do appreciate you helping me with this.

I still need a bit more time until I have all of the story, characters and facilities/shops for everyone to interact with.

Basically, the first post would have a list of all the shops and buildings that are accessible to the players, each providing use for modifying their weapons, healing, and whatnot.

If you have any further updates, just give me a holler. Hopefully by the time you guys have the appropriate system and restrictions sorted out, I'll have finished creating the "caged city" setting and story rules of the RP.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #2626 on: April 08, 2014, 05:33:10 AM
Okay, so there will be some roleplaying elements, not just a straight-up battle...

Basically, what will this RP involve?  Is it all fighting?  Will there be a story?  How much of the story will influence the players?  What kind of shops are you planning to have?  Items?  Armor classes?  Inventory?

Wushu still seems like a logical choice, but since you're including items and such, I may look into a d20 version of Call of Cthulhu.  The system for that would be pretty much the same as the one I linked to, only using a d20 instead of a d100.

Offline Sapphire Knight

• Coffee-Powered
  • Master's Unit
  • Short for Sapphire Knight
    • View Profile
    • Sapph's DA
Reply #2627 on: April 14, 2014, 12:07:04 AM
So... What's been happening in RPM Vengers and the other two rps while I've been distracted and immobilized on puppy and kitten duty?

My thread of Random Crap

Who loves Grape Soda? Sapph loves Grape Soda! Is it true? Is it true? Ohyesohyesohyes it's true-oo~ I do I do I do I do-oo~

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #2628 on: April 14, 2014, 12:23:50 AM
I still need to update Wilypocalyse and introduce the Owl showing up in Dr. Doom's HQ in RPM Vengers.

The Pokemon RP I really don't know and honestly not really concerned about, I'm kind of bored about it and Quickie and Wily don't really have the muse for it last I checked.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #2629 on: April 14, 2014, 02:01:01 AM
Aye, the muse is still being revived. We'll update it soon.

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #2630 on: April 14, 2014, 03:10:00 AM
I've also been working on figuring out a system for Phi's RP.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #2631 on: April 14, 2014, 10:11:49 AM
Okay, so there will be some roleplaying elements, not just a straight-up battle...

Basically, what will this RP involve?  Is it all fighting?  Will there be a story?  How much of the story will influence the players?  What kind of shops are you planning to have?  Items?  Armor classes?  Inventory?

Wushu still seems like a logical choice, but since you're including items and such, I may look into a d20 version of Call of Cthulhu.  The system for that would be pretty much the same as the one I linked to, only using a d20 instead of a d100.

Yeah, there is a story. Basically, the first post will explain how all the participants were kidnapped and forced to participate in this game/battle royale (from here, your introduction post can illustrate the last thing you remember before being abducted, whether it's being knocked out by gas, hit in the head, etc.)

I was thinking of there being 9 participants in total, just like the game this is (very) loosely based on. However, I have no problems with their being less or more, as long as there's at least 5 people.

Throughout the RP, I will have one character explain the rules of the battle royale to the participants. This character will be the one seemingly "in charge" of this game.

In terms of story being influential, the main aspect of story interaction will be talking to the robots in the shops; these robots being the ones who will sell you weapon parts, medicine, armor, items and pretty much anything you need to survive battle. Also, that one character I mentioned previously will, occasionally, speak to the participants/players to impart further details and news to them, even while in downtime (there will be screens placed around the city).

While I haven't thought up of every single shop/facility, there will be a lot of places to customize and improve your weapons.

Also, there can certainly be a class system. For example, someone could be a mage, while another is of a Dragoon class or Knight class. It's up to the player.

Oh, and of course, during downtime the player is more than welcome to create their own backstory for their character and whatnot. Participants can converse will each other, though I'm not entirely sure how well that would work, as the goal is to kill each other off to escape.

However, since it's an RP, I think it'd be better if there was interaction with one another besides the fighting segments.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 06:09:26 AM by Phi »

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #2632 on: April 17, 2014, 08:42:24 AM
Okay, I'll show Ringman the post and we'll work on devising something this weekend when we can do a few test plays.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #2633 on: April 17, 2014, 09:26:29 AM
Okay, sounds good. Thanks!

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2634 on: May 14, 2014, 05:57:44 PM
Okay now I finally got an idea of how to start the part with Asch.  As for the part with Zeta I don't know how to extend the fight with the GutsDozers after the next part so I might just end the fight there just to get things moving faster.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #2635 on: May 15, 2014, 12:39:06 AM
I thought you were going to just end it.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2636 on: May 15, 2014, 12:58:57 AM
I thought you were going to just end it.
That's what I decided a few weeks ago, but I am going to end it indeed. I'm also typing up Asch's part too now that I know how to start it. 

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #2637 on: May 15, 2014, 01:02:19 AM
Nice. Looking forward to it!

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2638 on: May 15, 2014, 01:05:03 AM
Nice. Looking forward to it!
Yes and then you will see a thing that Zeta only has a below average skill in certain areas besides her Air Bending.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #2639 on: May 30, 2014, 04:03:22 AM
I'm trying to come up with a name for the creepy "gentleman" I introduced in WilyRP. I had something, but it sounded too similar to a female character I plan to introduce later.

I'm going to keep my amount of characters to a minimum. Phi and Arche are my main focus, while Akane and the creepy dude are minor.

I'm going to resume the gentleman's part of the story when we get inside the Fxenodrome. Afterwards, I'll come up with something for the introduction of the female character. That probably won't be until far in the future, though.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #2640 on: May 30, 2014, 04:04:53 AM
What kind of sound are you looking for in the name?  Does this person have a profession?  What kind of creep is he?

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2641 on: May 30, 2014, 04:07:04 AM
I'm trying to come up with a name for the creepy "gentleman" I introduced in WilyRP. I had something, but it sounded too similar to a female character I plan to introduce later.

I'm going to keep my amount of characters to a minimum. Phi and Arche are my main focus, while Akane and the creepy dude are minor.

I'm going to resume the gentleman's part of the story when we get inside the Fxenodrome. Afterwards, I'll come up with something for the introduction of the female character. That probably won't be until far in the future, though.
Is it wrong that that creep almost reminds me of Gideon Gordon Graves from Scott Pilgrim?

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #2642 on: May 30, 2014, 04:43:22 AM
What kind of sound are you looking for in the name?  Does this person have a profession?  What kind of creep is he?

Well, I haven't revealed it yet, but I suppose it doesn't really matter. He's a 53-year-old surgeon. He's also a master manipulator and can get inside your head. Often times, he displays cases of multiple personality disorder, though it's unknown if his constantly changing personality is intentional or not. He is incredibly intelligent, possibly even smarter than Phi.

As for the sound of his name, I was thinking of something short but gives off authority. Maybe 2 or 3 syllables.

Is it wrong that that creep almost reminds me of Gideon Gordon Graves from Scott Pilgrim?

I never watched or read Scott Pilgrim.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #2643 on: May 30, 2014, 04:45:27 AM
I've always liked the sound of "Heinrich" for a creepy surgeon.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2644 on: May 30, 2014, 04:48:26 AM
I honestly suggest you do, it has some great themes, characters, and references for a 6 volume comic.

I could talk about Gideon but since he's the overall bad guy in a world where everyone has some shade of grey, especially in the dark shades of it, it would be a major disservice to spoil why Gideon is the sickest shade of black in the entire damn comic.  Not to mention when you add some fridge logic and brilliance to some theories of some events he manipulated with what his main weapon is and form of attack is. 

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #2645 on: May 30, 2014, 05:05:42 AM
I've always liked the sound of "Heinrich" for a creepy surgeon.

Heinrich, huh? I like it.

However, if we're going the German route, I feel like we need more to fully exude the evilness. So, I googled "creepy German names." Yep, that's exactly what I typed in. XD

And I found an interesting name to add to it: Ryker

So, now I have a complete name. Everyone, meet, Heinrich von Ryker! 8D

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #2646 on: May 30, 2014, 05:07:54 AM
PERFECT

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2647 on: May 30, 2014, 05:14:04 AM
For some reason, thanks to Rozen Maiden, I'm thinking that Heinrich has to drink tea all the time.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #2648 on: May 30, 2014, 05:14:18 AM
Haha, it didn't end up being 2-3 syllables like I wanted, but I do like this name! XD

Offline Sapphire Knight

• Coffee-Powered
  • Master's Unit
  • Short for Sapphire Knight
    • View Profile
    • Sapph's DA
Reply #2649 on: June 01, 2014, 08:43:38 AM
Okay... So... Could I perchance get the TLDR version of what's happening in Wilypocalypse at the moment? >.>;

My thread of Random Crap

Who loves Grape Soda? Sapph loves Grape Soda! Is it true? Is it true? Ohyesohyesohyes it's true-oo~ I do I do I do I do-oo~