Offline Cherrykorock

• Dr Light's other creation
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Zero can divide by Zero.
    • View Profile
Reply #225 on: April 06, 2012, 07:38:59 AM
Rigel design mark 2.
She doesnt look as friendly.
The actual drawing/lines/shading is awful but it's just a 30 mins thing i did to see if you guys like this design any more?

compare

Offline Yoku Man

• Robot Master of Yoku Blocks.
  • Resistance Member
  • "Don't Trust Your Eyes, Trust Mine."
    • View Profile
Reply #226 on: April 06, 2012, 05:27:33 PM
Interesting article at The Mega Man Network:

http://www.themmnetwork.com/2012/04/06/editorial-the-game-that-changed-the-classic-series/

Seems to support the reasons and potential for why I'm making this fangame. The Gameboy games physics do hold a certain charm.

Rigel design mark 2.
The actual drawing/lines/shading is awful but it's just a 30 mins thing i did to see if you guys like this design any more?

Hard to judge. Hmm, I like both now. Try giving her the armour of the first original sketch. I liked the detail on the breast plate and such. And perhaps include the Stardroid logo somewhere, and perhaps Ra Moons symbol too. We should start including those on all sketches of the Stardroids.

(here's the symbol for ref: http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Ra_Moon)

Keep at it, we'll decide after a few more different designs and maybe we'll merge them too if need be.

Hmm now that I think about it.... Is it me or do the colours remind me of Sigma? lol

Offline RetroRespecter

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #227 on: April 06, 2012, 05:48:31 PM
Interesting article at The Mega Man Network:

http://www.themmnetwork.com/2012/04/06/editorial-the-game-that-changed-the-classic-series/

Seems to support the reasons and potential for why I'm making this fangame. The Gameboy games physics do hold a certain charm.
Rigel design mark 2.

compare
Hard to judge. Hmm, I like both now. Try giving her the armour of the first original sketch. I liked the detail on the breast plate and such. And perhaps include the Stardroid logo somewhere, and perhaps Ra Moons symbol too. We should start including those on all sketches of the Stardroids.

(here's the symbol for ref: http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Ra_Moon)

Keep at it, we'll decide after a few more different designs and maybe we'll merge them too if need be.

Hmm now that I think about it.... Is it me or do the colours remind me of Sigma? lol
Except Sigma never had blue hair to begin with... 8)

Offline KoiDrake

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #228 on: April 06, 2012, 08:31:48 PM
She looks kinda generic for me :\

Offline Yllisos Zanon

• The Laberynth Librarian
  • Resistance Member
  • Individuality, so F*#K popularity
    • View Profile
Reply #229 on: April 06, 2012, 09:41:53 PM
Rigel, sounds more manly then feminine.  That's just me though.  As for the sketches, the black and white pic, I like the hair style better, along with the shoulder pads and boots.  The face, arms and torso look good in the color pic.

I will try to come up with some scratch sprite enemies, I will try my best to redesign, Mettragon.

They're coming to take me away
hee hee hoo hoo haw haw

http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=veasman#

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #230 on: April 06, 2012, 11:21:56 PM
Perhaps Rigel can have a couple of clues that hint at her relation to Terra. Like, the jewel headband he wore, and similar armour. I'd recommend one particular design could have Terra's style of mad hairdo, just to see how it'd look on her.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #231 on: April 07, 2012, 12:00:38 AM
[spoiler]dunno if I fancy a classic cast character dying like that specifically a main character like Bass- seems very out of character for the classic series.[/spoiler]

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline RetroRespecter

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #232 on: April 07, 2012, 12:12:09 AM
Rigel, from those sketches, has wild hair to begin with. How can one make it even more wild?

Offline Cherrykorock

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #233 on: April 07, 2012, 09:25:38 AM
@Yoku: Sure I'll try to add those hints as best as I can without making it look like female Terra. Whioch is the only real reason I avoided doing such as of now.

@Yillios: I plan on mergin the designs. With some tweaks.

@Koi: I'm trying but it's hard creating a unique humanoid robot that translates well to 8-bit sprites. XD

Offline KoiDrake

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #234 on: April 07, 2012, 10:02:41 AM
Yeah, totally understandable. But you are still in the starting stage of designing the character, so you shouldn't worry much about how it'll look in 8bit and worry about how he/she will be, personality, possible attacks, a general look and whatever that could help. I find it easier to make it  detailed (obviously not too much, but enough to make it look like an actual robot master) and when you start with the sprite you just clean out the unnecesary details.

Anyway, sorry for the long absence, been busy with a lot of things (and still am :P) but I felt like doodling SOMETHING and decided to make my own take of Sirius.

Only added a bunch of possible attacks, but the orbs could be used for more stuff, like laying it someplace else and shooting bullets from it, reflecting Sirius own bullets, using one orb to absorb Mega's bullets and the other to shoot them back, anything works. The charged attack could work differently too, I just did that one to make some potential charged attack like Pharaoh's :P

I gave him a slight Egyptian look because wikipedia says it's related to them (by basing their calendar to it somehow, and it seems that it is related to Osiris too), the name sounds egyptian to me, the "scorching/brightest star" reminded of Pharaohman's weapon (the bigass sun you can charge and shoot) and the urban myth that egyptian learned everything from some aliens that came to Earth.

And Yllisos, I can't find the actual post, but I remember the crit you gave me from that attempt of the 8bit Arcturus, and yeah, you are right, it did looked umbalanced, so I made a quick fix of it too. The palette isn't definitive.

Offline Cherrykorock

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #235 on: April 07, 2012, 12:24:03 PM
Yeah, totally understandable. But you are still in the starting stage of designing the character, so you shouldn't worry much about how it'll look in 8bit and worry about how he/she will be, personality, possible attacks, a general look and whatever that could help. I find it easier to make it  detailed (obviously not too much, but enough to make it look like an actual robot master) and when you start with the sprite you just clean out the unnecesary details.

True enough. I mean I guess when I try againa later tomorrow ill keep it in mind. As for personality I think I know how she will be and her attacks I know for sure. I just havent done those sketches yet. XD

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #236 on: April 07, 2012, 03:08:57 PM
Thanks again for the awesome sketches! Keep them coming. As time draws on the characters will come to life and the project will advance to the next stage. This is an exciting time. These are some cool concepts.

Btw, I've updated the first post with the concept art so you guys can easily keep up-to-date on where all the sketches are.

Posted on: April 07, 2012, 12:57:06 PM
Wait a second! Something has come up...

After the defeat of the first wave of Stardroids, the 3 antagonists (Nova, Ra Moon, and Rigel) should be debating on whether Mega Man is considered a true threat to their master plans for universal destruction. However, during the dialect the alarms go off all over wherever they are holed up. Rigel turns off the alarms and all three check the viewscreen. It shows that Mega Man has breached their headquarters. Rigel is sent to intercept and she guarantees that Mega Man will not pass her in one piece.

[spoiler]May I suggest that they be shown as shadow? There is no point in showing what they really look like this early, does it?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Heh, do I sense a reference to to Mega Man X2? That would be a cool little homage. Something to think about. It may be a bit impracticle to do a silhouette of Ra Moon, however, he's huge in comparison to Rigel. And god only knows what Nova looks like![/spoiler]

Good News! I finally added the non-ear [twin slasher] version of Air Man's GB stage music in the game, thanks to Joseph Collins (on YT). :)
Interestingly enough, this is STILL the official version, not a remix. The only thing he changed in the song is the pitch of the instruments. It actually sounds pretty good in the fan game now. :)

I also changed the confirm sound effect to the correct version. :)

Awesome! I'll be sure to thank my old friend Joseph Collins for that! It does sound much better, it even sounds like some of the notes could fit in the proper MMV style of music. Some of the notes even remind me of the Crystal sound effect. Which can't be a bad thing. ;)

Offline Yllisos Zanon

• The Laberynth Librarian
  • Resistance Member
  • Individuality, so F*#K popularity
    • View Profile
Reply #237 on: April 07, 2012, 10:04:53 PM
I have to be quite honest, the name Rigel.  Doesn't seem fitting for a female, with that said I have a suggestion. 

Auriga= the charioteer, star formation of a pointed helmet. 

Just saying, it is its own constellation, and not a single star of another constellations foot.

Also, Koidrake, I'll see what I can do to sprite that Sirius. 

I am currently sprite sheeting, Vega.

They're coming to take me away
hee hee hoo hoo haw haw

http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=veasman#

Offline IQ-0

• Ice Queen Zero
  • Resistance Member
  • Friendship Advisory - Magical Content
    • View Profile
    • 1CC Gaming
Reply #238 on: April 08, 2012, 11:12:14 AM
Got Shadowman done feel free to change that blue color. I used the pallete given by NES but the way the tiles were, the colors may make your eyes bleed.

http://www.1ccgaming.com/mmgbcc/shadowmanmm3gb.gif - Better to save this as animation is slow on the browser.

Switch gif with png for the still shot. I also got the x1 version on the comp if you want that too.

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
    • N-Mario's Gaming Universe
Reply #239 on: April 11, 2012, 08:33:49 AM
Mega Man World - Dr Wily's Gimmick Level Part 1

Making the second part now... do you think I should also add gimmicks from the NES and MM9 and 10 games too?

You're the man, Star! :)

BTW, I won't be spending much time on the game this weekend. I'm currently at the beach, spending time with my folks, doing easter stuff, hanging out, etc. (which is why I'm not hanging out on twitch.tv now). Though I'm coming back home sometime Tuesday. So we'll see what I can do with these stages when I get back home. ;)

Also, my birthday is coming up soon. Monday, next week to be honest. So progress might be even slower than usual this month. We'll see. XD

Posted on: April 08, 2012, 03:11:55 PM

Just doing some random music testing. I took Joseph Collins's advice on what he did to fix the music in MMII GB. I did the same thing he did with Air Man's stage, except I tested it with the title theme. I changed the pitch of the sound lower, then reverted the speed of the song back after. I donno if the title theme sounds any better honestly.

http://gcnmario.free.fr/mmii-gb_title.zip

Offline KoiDrake

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #240 on: April 11, 2012, 11:55:14 PM
I have to be quite honest, the name Rigel.  Doesn't seem fitting for a female, with that said I have a suggestion. 

Auriga= the charioteer, star formation of a pointed helmet. 

Just saying, it is its own constellation, and not a single star of another constellations foot.

Also, Koidrake, I'll see what I can do to sprite that Sirius.
I like this suggestion actually, Rigel is part of Orion's constellation anyway :I. There isn't anything to work with that constellation either, I honestly don't know where that "Terra's sister" part came from. Plus, Auriga from SF was pretty cool too!

I wouldn't bother sheeting the characters yet, unless you don't mind reworking it if/after a better design comes up, these stuff aren't definitive. The base sprites are another thing, it's a good thing to start seeing all the characters as they'll show ingame, and tweak any part from the design to make it easier to sprite it.

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #241 on: April 12, 2012, 01:24:16 AM
I like this suggestion actually, Rigel is part of Orion's constellation anyway :I. There isn't anything to work with that constellation either, I honestly don't know where that "Terra's sister" part came from. Plus, Auriga from SF was pretty cool too!

I wouldn't bother sheeting the characters yet, unless you don't mind reworking it if/after a better design comes up, these stuff aren't definitive. The base sprites are another thing, it's a good thing to start seeing all the characters as they'll show ingame, and tweak any part from the design to make it easier to sprite it.

The idea of Rigel being Terra's sister stems from all the mythical lore surrounding the name. All the characters that Rigel was named after were always female. I have one counter argument to keep the name Rigel, I'm beginning to really like it. Rigel does seem neither Male nor Female, and plus remember Venus? She was the goddess of love, and yet the name was given to a male Stardroid. I think it can work both ways ;)

Yeh and the sprites should evolve as much as the sketches do. I will of course decide on what versions I like the look of and we'll go from there, tweaking as needed, till they're perfect.

Offline RetroRespecter

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #242 on: April 12, 2012, 02:47:08 AM
If you guys are planning for Mega Man to fight Rigel again then here something that might help...

Rigel: Surprised to see me again, "Blue Hero"?

Mega Man: Rigel?!

Rigel: Did you honestly think you could destroy me that easily? I am one of the Prime Stardroids. That means my power is rivaled only to that of my brother, Terra.

Mega Man: Did I hear that right? Did you say that Terra is your brother?

Rigel: Of course! I wouldn't be leading the next generation of Stardroids if I wasn't, would I? But enough about me, let's talk about why you're here.

Mega Man: My new friends and allies have told me everything. I won't let you or your masters/allies commit universal genocide!

Rigel: Well I won't let you succeed in saving this faulted universe! Get ready, Mega Man! Your infernal interference ends now!

NOTE: I added the "Blue Hero" bit as a cruel tease to Mega Man.

Offline KoiDrake

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #243 on: April 12, 2012, 03:07:47 AM
The idea of Rigel being Terra's sister stems from all the mythical lore surrounding the name. All the characters that Rigel was named after were always female. I have one counter argument to keep the name Rigel, I'm beginning to really like it. Rigel does seem neither Male nor Female, and plus remember Venus? She was the goddess of love, and yet the name was given to a male Stardroid. I think it can work both ways ;)

Yeh and the sprites should evolve as much as the sketches do. I will of course decide on what versions I like the look of and we'll go from there, tweaking as needed, till they're perfect.
Ok, fair enough on the name and good point with Venus, I am taking liberties with the designs too afterall :P

Its just that by making her Terra's sister you're giving her too much protagonist in comparison to the other Stardroids, which considering that the constellation isn't that important (it's a PORTION of Orion after all) then it's not really justified. Plus, having family relations on space machines of destruction sounds kinda weird :I

If you guys are planning for Mega Man to fight Rigel again then here something that might help...

Rigel: Surprised to see me again, "Blue Hero"?

Mega Man: Rigel?!

Rigel: Did you honestly think you could destroy me that easily? I am one of the Prime Stardroids. That means my power is rivaled only to that of my brother, Terra.

Mega Man: Did I hear that right? Did you say that Terra is your brother?

Rigel: Of course! I wouldn't be leading the next generation of Stardroids if I wasn't, would I? But enough about me, let's talk about why you're here.

Mega Man: My new friends and allies have told me everything. I won't let you or your masters/allies commit universal genocide!

Rigel: Well I won't let you succeed in saving this faulted universe! Get ready, Mega Man! Your infernal interference ends now!

NOTE: I added the "Blue Hero" bit as a cruel tease to Mega Man.

Expanding on what I said: Terra being the leader of the Stardroids makes so much sense there isn't even any point to explain why they did that. But for Rigel there is no explanation to make that relation. It's not only an insignificant constellation, but a PART of another Stardroids from this game. I agree that we can take liberties for the characters design-wise, but the hierarchy of leadership and relations with the previous Stardroids should make some sense.

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #244 on: April 12, 2012, 03:48:52 AM
You give some fine points too.

Well, I will think about this and see what should be done. I still like the name that goes with the various sketches. Perhaps she can have another role in the game that we haven't come up with yet and get rid of her relation to Terra. Or perhaps that can still be the key to her character.

She doesn't necessarily have to be a part of the Stardroid Army.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #245 on: April 12, 2012, 06:16:26 AM
Depending on how well the enemies are acquainted with Megaman, the title of "Blue Hero" or some other variation may actually be an interesting way they refer to him. Perhaps they aren't all familiar with his actual name, or the ranks of these Stardroids are more familiar with calling him that.

As an example, in Mobile Suit Gundam; the carrier ship "White Base" is referred to by the Zeon officers as "the trojan horse" and they continued to use that title even after it's name was known out of familiarity.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #246 on: April 12, 2012, 11:09:52 AM
Make it "Blue Bomber" just for that reference. :P

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #247 on: April 12, 2012, 03:08:24 PM
I also think if he wasn't known to them, their first impressions would cause them to call him "boy" or something, to ridicule him. To them he'd just be a kid in a silly armoured suit. Heh, they'd totally be caught by surprise after they fight him.

Infact I've been pondering if I continue with the idea of the goodies having a representative like an empress, queen or princess, she too might be taken aback by the famous Mega Man they've summoned just being a child robot too. She might be degrading at first and call him "blue boy" or something. Throughout the game you earn her respect.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #248 on: April 12, 2012, 03:58:04 PM
the goodies? You mean Mega Man's side?

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #249 on: April 12, 2012, 04:07:49 PM
the goodies? You mean Mega Man's side?

Yep.

I also wonder if we should make better use of the origin of that nickname "Blue Bomber". It comes from the old toy game "Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots" and the Blue Bomber's opponent was called the "Red Rocker". In the videogame version, there were also ""Yellow Yahoo", "Brown Bully", "Orange Oppressor", "Silver Stretcher", "Purple Pyro", "Green Grappler", "Pink Pummeller", and the "Black Bruiser".

I've pondered if perhaps at the end, Mega Man may join a team of defenders against the evil energy and becomes the new leader, in Duos place. And those could be some of the nicknames for the other characters. It would also give expansion that I've been looking for in the Mega Man Universe. I definately want to have my game open up for a potential sequel and possibly more playable characters and such.