Yoku Man · 189835

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #150 on: March 22, 2012, 03:35:26 AM
Orion turned out kinda lame imo, as if his only gimmick is that he has a bow :\.

I was gonna try to give him a club, since the constellation depicts him with one too, but having both things in one was too much for an RM. I might try with just the club next time, that's how they did it in Saint Seiya after all :D

What if the arrows... ARE clubs? D:

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline KoiDrake

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #151 on: March 22, 2012, 04:22:12 AM
But Lupus means "Wolf". I dont think a Lion would be quite right. Would be like, well, calling a Lion a Dog or vice versa.

Sirius  could definitely be designed based on the fire aspect, the term Sirus meaning Glowing, or scorcher.
Yup, as starsims said, I based Lupus on the Babylonian legend. Just a personal opinion, but I find felines to be more versatile than dogs when it comes to designing RMs, as the only thing that comes to mind with dogs is the bitting. If this were a MMX game that'd be a whole different story.

I didn't wanted to be too literal with the constellations descriptions either. I made Lupus a human with lion traits instead of a centaur type because it would look more like a RM, it would set it apart of Centaurman (the only unique trait this poor dude has) it would relate it with Pluto (which it's a stardroid, so is all good), and lastly because it would give more liberties for the attacks.

Arcturus is another example of not being too literal on the design, a "guardian of the bear" doesn't really say anything, so instead I took some traits of a bear (without making a bear robot master) and interpreted the guardian part as a bulky character.

If I had to tackle Sirius design, I would forget about the dog description and focus on the scorching/brightest-star-on-the-night thing and make it a fire/light type RM, probably a Pharaohman/Sunstar mixture.
What if the arrows... ARE clubs? D:
I was REALLY close of doing that actually, that would be hilarious XD

Offline Yllisos Zanon

• The Laberynth Librarian
  • Resistance Member
  • Individuality, so F*#K popularity
    • View Profile
Reply #152 on: March 22, 2012, 07:28:31 AM
The Deneb sprite I made, is 100% scratch.  But I have edited it a little more, so it would look a little less animal looking.  

I like the three designs Koidrake came up with, I will try my best to scratch sprite those.  In fact, I really like his Arcturus design.  It'll be the hardest to do.  Lupus, I might change a few things about him, so he looks more werewolf-ish.  Werewolves have claws as well.  I like the idea of having a dog based droid, cause there hasn't been one in the original series.  

Also, before I made this post, I created the Orion sprite, based on Koidrakes sketch.  One thing I want to mention about Orion, compared to MegaPhilXs Rainbow Man, with their bows.  I have noticed that Rainbow Mans bow arm has the handles on top and bottom of the arm.  I tried to make Orions bow arm, with the handles on the sides of the arm.

I have also kept most of the design for Vega, I will change his face and wings.
----------edit--------------

100% scratched sprites this time.

I have sprited Koidrakes versions, again this is still in Beta stasis.  Arcturus was a pain to create, but there it is.  I still have no idea how to approach Rigel. 

They're coming to take me away
hee hee hoo hoo haw haw

http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=veasman#

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #153 on: March 22, 2012, 11:15:19 PM
I have a design for Hydra. Might post it tommorow

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #154 on: March 23, 2012, 01:13:04 AM
Gonna take a shot at Aquarius. Ill post it later maybe.

EDIT:
I dunno if you will even use Aquarius, given you want different first letters for the bosses, and I dont recall if you ever mentioned which 8 names you would keep, but I made a quick Aquarius anyway.

Note the vase shaped buster.

I was inspired by Wave man and Splash Woman for the design here, and figured those wave things that Splash has would look good on him, give him a more detailed, more regal look, along with the trident on the helmet and the gold trimmings. The lighter blue wave effects I simply thought would look nice.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
    • N-Mario's Gaming Universe
Reply #155 on: March 23, 2012, 10:03:56 PM
I feel like I'm losing motivation, and slipping away from work on the game engine when it comes to technical difficulties. :-/

For the record, I always find setting up a basic custom platform movement somewhat easy. But when it comes to more complicated things, like ladders, it's a different story.
I don't even know how I want to set up the code/engine for ladders. Seems like there are many ways of developing it. I got the graphics for them in, but I have to decide how to set them up.

One way I could do is is a line collision data always on the player, and just detection checks if this line is over ladder objects. Though I have to place a lot of ladder objects where a graphic of the ladder is palced.

The old way I did it on the old game engine was invisible lines on ladders, and an invisible platform top. The top detector would move down if the gravity was reversed. Not my best method of doing things. :-/

A different way I heard was to make two invisible objects. One at the bottom, and one the top. For this method, use a condition check if the player is between these two objects. I heard this would save on # of objects on frame. The possibility of having different size ladders depending on the distance between these two objects. But what I'm thinking is how this would work for me determining where the player would stand. The player wouldn't be overlapping anything to detect where the ladders were. Just a distance check. So what happens if it checks at the wrong positions?

Long story short, I just don't know how I'm going to tackle this. @_@

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #156 on: March 24, 2012, 12:03:43 AM
Gonna take a shot at Aquarius. Ill post it later maybe.

EDIT:
I dunno if you will even use Aquarius, given you want different first letters for the bosses, and I dont recall if you ever mentioned which 8 names you would keep, but I made a quick Aquarius anyway.

Note the vase shaped buster.

I was inspired by Wave man and Splash Woman for the design here, and figured those wave things that Splash has would look good on him, give him a more detailed, more regal look, along with the trident on the helmet and the gold trimmings. The lighter blue wave effects I simply thought would look nice.

The names of the bosses he's using are in the first post now, Flame.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #157 on: March 24, 2012, 12:10:57 AM
I feel stupid, I totally missed that like, twice.

Oh well.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Yoku Man

• Robot Master of Yoku Blocks.
  • Resistance Member
  • "Don't Trust Your Eyes, Trust Mine."
    • View Profile
Reply #158 on: March 24, 2012, 12:49:00 AM
That design can still be used for another Stardroid. I like it! It has similarites to Neptune and Star Man.

Offline Yllisos Zanon

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #159 on: March 24, 2012, 07:42:37 AM

I have added Auto sheet, Duo blinking and talking.  Along with a few Met enemies, new types that is.  Plus a question, is Duo going to be active in the game, or just talking?

hee hee hoo hoo haw haw

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #160 on: March 24, 2012, 08:31:57 AM
That design can still be used for another Stardroid. I like it! It has similarites to Neptune and Star Man.
Oh. well. Go for it.

Offline KoiDrake

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #161 on: March 25, 2012, 04:32:24 AM
I made a sprite attempt of Arcturus, since that one was the one of the 3 I made with the less chances to handle the details in this size. I'm not sure about the color scheme, so I left it in b&w.

A spriter would do a better job than me though...

Offline Yllisos Zanon

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #162 on: March 25, 2012, 08:49:58 AM
Bah humbug... LOL.

It is usually the head that gives numerous people issues, I'll see what I can do about the head. By the way, that head is custom. 

Plus, Koidrake, I like your sprite of Arcturus, I just feel that it is a tad short.  The legs seem to throw him, off balance.  Other than that, great job.  Better than mine.

If I can get some feedback on the other bosses, I'll see what I can do.  As far as Vega goes, no, he is not like Compass Man from, Challenger from the Future.  I can literally, see his legs being his primary attack source.  Next update I make, I'll try to map out his attack pattern.

hee hee hoo hoo haw haw

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #163 on: March 25, 2012, 11:34:02 AM
So yeah, here is my design suggestion for Hydra
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Quick sketch just to show my idea. Basically, I've tried to implement the idea of multiple heads in a different way

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #164 on: March 25, 2012, 12:06:15 PM
Kinda reminds me of a Digimon... :P

I do like the design though, and the way you've implemented the heads is a great idea.

Offline RetroRespecter

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #165 on: March 25, 2012, 07:45:01 PM
Ahem, anyway, to avoid any risk of a thread killer with NMario's depressing post... Here's Reggae!! First post updated!

Only Bass, Treble, Auto and Duo left to do a full sprite sheet of. Then the rest will be all the original enemies and bosses.
Who is Reggae? I have never heard of him.

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
Reply #166 on: March 25, 2012, 08:21:30 PM
Who is Reggae? I have never heard of him.

Reggae appears in Rockboard, if memory serves.

You also see his head if you get a password error in MegaMan 7.

http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Reggae

Also, looks like Stars fixed his outline to black. :)

Offline Yoku Man

• Robot Master of Yoku Blocks.
  • Resistance Member
  • "Don't Trust Your Eyes, Trust Mine."
    • View Profile
Reply #167 on: March 25, 2012, 09:06:05 PM
Reggae appears in Rockboard, if memory serves.
You also see his head if you get a password error in MegaMan 7.
http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Reggae
Also, looks like Stars fixed his outline to black. :)

He's also in the shop when you play as Bass, in Mega Man 10. And yeh I chose black in the end, cos its his primary colour, and Elec Man too had a black outline in the Mega Mania screenies.

Offline fifthindependent

• Pretentious Bastard
  • Net Navi
    • View Profile
    • Fifth Independent
Reply #168 on: March 26, 2012, 10:57:33 AM

I have added Auto sheet, Duo blinking and talking.  Along with a few Met enemies, new types that is.  Plus a question, is Duo going to be active in the game, or just talking?

I really like the designs of these, hopefully they can be pulled off.

Offline Karasai♪

• Absolutely Fabulous.
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #169 on: March 27, 2012, 02:10:46 AM
Vega needs to have a Vulture design

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
Reply #170 on: March 27, 2012, 03:27:27 AM
this is another work in progress border for Dr.Lights lab scene. Could use some input. ;)

Game Engine Update:
- Minor color update on the MegaMan sprite on the title screen.
- Added a WIP of the Dr.Light lab scene before the robot masters.
(The screen is supposed to fade in and out here, as it's normal on the application.exe version. However, it's not working correctly on the flash version ATM. I'm currently asking for help over on the CT forums on the issue.)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #171 on: March 27, 2012, 06:05:37 AM
I know it's a wip, but the difference between  the more gray outlined light and the other one really stands out.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #172 on: March 27, 2012, 06:31:02 AM
Support Staff

Thoughts on borders:

Possibility 1:
Borders start as a small set, and getting some achievements unlocks more. You select the one you want from the options menu. EX: "Buy all shop items." unlocks the above Support Staff border.

Possibility 2:
Dynamic borders. When in the shop, the border changes to that automatically. Thus all stages have borders for the boss of the stage. Wily stages and a few other special ones exempt of course. You should also have the option to chose a single static one too if you want.

Just some thoughts.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #173 on: March 27, 2012, 07:33:18 AM
I like both ideas. Why not implement both? Have a static or dynamic borders option in the menu, and if it's set to static, another menu opens up to choose the border you want.

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
Reply #174 on: March 27, 2012, 07:42:56 AM
Support Staff

Thoughts on borders:

Possibility 1:
Borders start as a small set, and getting some achievements unlocks more. You select the one you want from the options menu. EX: "Buy all shop items." unlocks the above Support Staff border.

Possibility 2:
Dynamic borders. When in the shop, the border changes to that automatically. Thus all stages have borders for the boss of the stage. Wily stages and a few other special ones exempt of course. You should also have the option to chose a single static one too if you want.

Just some thoughts.

Currently going with Idea 2, where borders are different depending on the stage. The engine stage has a plain, gray border, Light's lab has the Dr.Light BG, so forth. So we can do it this way. It's just that the borders need to be made first. That is all. :)

I also like the unlocking borders idea. Though you could buy them via P-Chips or something. Or instead of unlocking via achievements, unlock them by beating the game, or beating certain bosses. Though achievements can still be done at some point in time. :)

I'll go ahead and update with the new border adding the extra characters. I really like it. :)