MEGAMAN UNIVERSE!!!!!! (PS3/360)

HokutoNoBen · 94161

Offline KudosForce

• The wild card
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Will our future be good? Only the cards will tell.
    • View Profile
Reply #400 on: July 27, 2010, 12:56:27 AM
I wouln't mind seeing a new classic game released periodically actually, considering they are cheap to produce and yet fun to play.

I can vouch for and live with that philosophy.

Classic GridMan anyone?

That will only happen if Capcom has the guts to make an official Classic Shark Man (which would be the equivalent of "Jumping the shark", basically). :(

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #401 on: July 27, 2010, 01:03:10 AM
Evolution is always necessary sooner or later. In pretty much everything. Games included. Sooner or later, Megaman games are going to need to evolve, mostly because I don't see any young people being completely enthralled by the retro style of the games. I'd like to see a good and steady evolution, not just "we want the same thing over and over again and [tornado fang] non-fans".

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #402 on: July 27, 2010, 01:05:44 AM
Mega Man's evolution was called "X"

Offline KoiDrake

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #403 on: July 27, 2010, 01:16:17 AM
They can always make a spinoff game or a sidestory like Megaman & Bass for that too.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #404 on: July 27, 2010, 01:35:23 AM
Which wasn't much of an evolution in the first place.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #405 on: July 27, 2010, 01:43:39 AM

As well as "DASH", "Zero", "ZX", "Ryuusei" and "EXE", as well as the various spin-offs they inspired (Hello, Battle N Chase, Soccer, Arcade "Power" games, Network Transmission, and etc.). All of which could be described as different approaches that tried to change up the Rockman formula, to different degrees and just as many levels of success.

So, I merely say give credit where it's due. Capcom and their affiliates have definitely tried to do different things with the Rockman series. And even there, they couldn't please everyone, in spite of the different things that each respective series/game tried to offer. After all, ZX could be described as a game that tried to definitely "evolve" the Rockman series, and look what happened there, sales- and critically-wise.

I'll openly admit that while I would definitely welcome almost any new twist(s) that Capcom could offer for the series, going more conservative is likely to be Capcom's line of reasoning for going for the nostalgia. By and large, it works. And in Japan, especially, developers on that side have had a rude awakening that basically boils down to how they can't rely on the more "fair-weather" non-fans and kids to get sales, and the attempt to market to that demographic has only done more to turn off established fans. So, if you're a company in the interest of making money, what should you do? Continue to try and vie for a demographic that couldn't give a rat's ass, no matter what you try to do to appeal to them, or go more for the "true blue" who are practically guaranteed sales as long you don't [acid burst] them off too much? The answer should be clear, especially in this economy. 8D

Which wasn't much of an evolution in the first place.

Well, which is it? You just said...

I'd like to see a good and steady evolution

And X was definitely an evolution of the classic Rockman formula. By virtue of giving the main character new abilities, it incited a whole new means for level designers and play testers to work towards the goal of balancing a game play experience. Isn't that EXACTLY what you wanted? 

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #406 on: July 27, 2010, 02:35:04 AM
X didn't evolve the franchise much. The character still controlled pretty much the same way, just with a few added abilities. They could have easily added those abilities and made the enemies a bit more serious in the original series. It would have been the exact same thing. Legends felt like the first truly different game, not because it was 3D, because it played differently. Seemed like a bit of an evolution, but they never went through with it. And while pretty much all platforming characters have either died or continue to evolve, Megaman keeps standing in the exact same place, not being able to duck or aim his damn gun. Instead, we get a dash and a wall jump. Notice something with pretty much every single franchise there is. They evolve, so game characters have more freedom of movement and become more powerful as a result. We can verify this with pretty much every single franchise. Even stuff like Final Fantasy and Resident Evil have tried to give players more freedom in their latest titles, so the gameplay experience is more of a "I am a fun-to-control, powerful, all-around playable character, let me go through this well-crafted challenge", rather than "Oh no! I cannot aim at this enemy directly above me! This is making my game quite tougher!" This WORKS. Even Mario and Sonic, dispite returns to their roots once in awhile, always keep evolving their gameplay, for better or for worse, for the sake of getting more and more people to enjoy the experience. While Megaman seems like a very closed affair. JUST for the hardcore fans. I honestly think that's not a very healthy route to lead a franchise.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #407 on: July 27, 2010, 03:38:16 AM
X5 introduced Ducking. Then suddenly, after X7, Ducking disappeared.  Im still asking myself what possible reason there could have been for making X and co. not be able to duck anymore.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #408 on: July 27, 2010, 03:47:48 AM
Axl's ability to hover, maybe? Send him in and you can cover (almost) any obstacle with ease.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #409 on: July 27, 2010, 04:54:45 AM
yeah, but what happened to ducking? Not even in ZX can you duck. Its like X and Zero, (and Axl for that matter, since he could duck in X7,) forgot how to bend their legs that way.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #410 on: July 27, 2010, 05:56:23 AM
I'll openly admit that while I would definitely welcome almost any new twist(s) that Capcom could offer for the series, going more conservative is likely to be Capcom's line of reasoning for going for the nostalgia. By and large, it works. And in Japan, especially, developers on that side have had a rude awakening that basically boils down to how they can't rely on the more "fair-weather" non-fans and kids to get sales, and the attempt to market to that demographic has only done more to turn off established fans. So, if you're a company in the interest of making money, what should you do? Continue to try and vie for a demographic that couldn't give a rat's ass, no matter what you try to do to appeal to them, or go more for the "true blue" who are practically guaranteed sales as long you don't [acid burst] them off too much? The answer should be clear, especially in this economy. 8D

You know, my statement of this was much smaller! XD

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #411 on: July 27, 2010, 06:00:30 AM
Was that the one with "PB-bit" in it?

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Gary Loaki

• Robot Master
  • Formerly Loki~
    • View Profile
Reply #412 on: July 27, 2010, 06:05:52 AM
Am I the only one here who wants a completely 8-bit Megaman game with an in depth character creation system a-la 3D Dot Game Heroes?

Plus full buster customization? (That was we can indeed get Ryu to play? :3)

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #413 on: July 27, 2010, 06:10:08 AM
Am I the only one here who wants a completely 8-bit Megaman game with an in depth character creation system a-la 3D Dot Game Heroes?

I'm hoping this is in MM Universe.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #414 on: July 27, 2010, 06:33:33 AM
I'm hoping this is in MM Universe.

Seconded. :) I'd have lots of fun with both systems.

Offline KoiDrake

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #415 on: July 27, 2010, 07:15:57 AM
yeah, but what happened to ducking? Not even in ZX can you duck. Its like X and Zero, (and Axl for that matter, since he could duck in X7,) forgot how to bend their legs that way.
The way I see it, Megaman games where made for you to jump in order to dodge. Adding the ducking would make the game a lot less dinamic, as you would be able to just stay on place and see how the shots go over you.
Now, the slide is a whole different story. I could care less about the charged shot in Megaman, but why did they took that away? It brings so many posibilities!

Offline Ramzal

• B-Class Hunter
  • Don't sweat the technique.
    • View Profile
Reply #416 on: July 27, 2010, 03:04:10 PM
I'm personally getting sick of milking 8 bit. Honestly, if they do it again it's not even them taking chances anymore, but trying to appeal to a sheep like fanbase. I've already lost a lot of interest in new Megaman games, they need to try something -new- soon or have Megaman fall out, because the new age gamers don't dig it -that- much.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #417 on: July 27, 2010, 03:10:26 PM

So basically an improved version of what Legends had?

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #418 on: July 27, 2010, 03:20:18 PM
"Oh no! I cannot aim at this enemy directly above me! This is making my game quite tougher!"

Play X7 more.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #419 on: July 27, 2010, 04:15:55 PM
Play X7 more.
I have. It's just a bad game.

I really do love it when people talk to me about a specific series with something that bothers me, and when I explain my disdain for that thing, they tell me to play this one specific game of the series in this one specific part with this one specific move. I'm a dude who's played certain games of the series which he's find pretty damn cool and fun. I'm not about to get buried under six tons of bullshit just to uncover this amazing single move that other games have been doing as standard and better for years

(People who go "DEN UR NOT A FAN!!", being a fan doesn't mean you have to like everything the franchise you're a fan of is in. I'm also a fan of Sonic, Crash and Spyro. And I don't have to enjoy all the crap they put out with those nowadays.)

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #420 on: July 27, 2010, 04:44:38 PM
I have. It's just a bad game.

Thus you know why Capcom is afraid of evolution.

I really do love it when people talk to me about a specific series with something that bothers me, and when I explain my disdain for that thing, they tell me to play this one specific game of the series in this one specific part with this one specific move.

Except, ducking has been in the series since X5, and aiming since Rockman and Forte. Fact of the matter is, they tried these elements, have made proper use of these elements. They simply felt there to be adequate reasons not to include them in their other titles. One could bring up plenty of reasons why these moves work against a certain gameplay ideal intended by the developers.

Case in point, ZX restricts ducking to Hu/Re forms, and aiming to Model F, for specific gameplay reasons.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #421 on: July 27, 2010, 04:52:02 PM
Evolution has to be done well in order to be good. That evolution was forced, and the game itself was bad. It wasn't because it was slightly different. It was because it was more of the same in the worst way.

Offline GP Aznable

• King of the hill
  • A-Class Hunter
  • I'm the REAL Woodman, foo!
    • View Profile
Reply #422 on: July 27, 2010, 05:53:39 PM
Ok. How 'bout a Megaman game that played like Gears of War? Gamer these days sure fond of 'the Tough-Space Marine' type character, which might fit the MM1(US) cover Megaman. He sure looked like one. As for the robot masters, let them be.

Eat, or be eaten...

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #423 on: July 27, 2010, 06:24:04 PM
Ok. How 'bout a Megaman game that played like Gears of War? Gamer these days sure fond of 'the Tough-Space Marine' type character, which might fit the MM1(US) cover Megaman. He sure looked like one. As for the robot masters, let them be.
I think this is another thing some dont seem to get. All because I want a current Gen megaman doesnt mean I want a Halo/Gears of War clone with BROWN AND BLOOM. Why cant I just get, yknow, HD Current Gen Megaman? Megaman re-tooled for the current hardware?
a fully 3D, HD Megaman, with nice graphics, and fun gameplay?
Whats so hard to understand or accept about that? Nostalgia on the brain? Because Nostalgia very quickly becomes "milking" and the "sheep like fanbase" that Ramzal mentioned, will just eat it up. And since the older fanbase is so enthralled by nostalgia, thats all we will ever get.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #424 on: July 27, 2010, 06:26:05 PM
What I don't get are people who think CHANGE IS GOOD CHANGE MUST HAPPEN and then forget that change might as well turn something into [parasitic bomb].

3D Mega Man? Sure, I'm cool with that. But classic Mega Man in 3D? I don't need that.