Yugioh 5 D's

Flame · 95169

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #400 on: May 12, 2010, 09:36:51 PM
Well, what does exist in the Japanese version are the Shadow Duels (Yami no Duel) and usually, those who lose die in this wierd other dimension the duel takes place in (like in 5D's, where actual damage is involved during the duels, see Dark Signers, Infinity Trio).
Yeah. that and Marik's little Penalty games were real as well. althiugh a bit more brutal than the Dub would lead you to expect. If I remember right, Mai's Shadow Duel was she had scarabs eating her brain, taking memories as she took damage/lost monsters

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #401 on: May 13, 2010, 12:38:05 PM
Yeah. that and Marik's little Penalty games were real as well. althiugh a bit more brutal than the Dub would lead you to expect. If I remember right, Mai's Shadow Duel was she had scarabs eating her brain, taking memories as she took damage/lost monsters
I think that was only in the mango. Also, in the manga... when she lost, and when Marik locked her away in that pyramid thingamajig, there were scarabs in there, instead of sand.
Overall:
MANGA > ANIME > 4KIDS CARTOON

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #402 on: May 13, 2010, 09:53:31 PM
MANGA > ANIME > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>4KIDS CARTOON
Fixed.
But much agreed.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #403 on: May 14, 2010, 06:43:21 AM
Bull. [parasitic bomb].

Brooklyn Joey is all I have to say on the matter.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #404 on: May 14, 2010, 06:50:03 AM
Well, original Yugioh is really the ONLY place where the voices seemed to somewhat fit. 5D's however, is a different story. Tristan was probably the worst VA there, and since he was a side character with rarely any action, it wored out. but when that VA is doing the voice of the main protagonist... Weve got  biiig problem.

Plus, who was saying anything about voices?

America and the dubbing of Anime has ALWAYS had problems, so Voices are the LAST thing I judge. Its everything else that matters. like, do they censor anything? cut anything? etc etc. Now, with other companies, there usually is no real issue there, so it just goes on to the voices. But with 4kids...

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #405 on: May 14, 2010, 06:50:45 AM
I think that was only in the mango.

Wasn't the one in the manga whatever happens to your monster happens to you? I remember a scan of one of Mai's monsters killing one of Marik's and his head getting cut or something.

Yeah, after searching in Google I found out it was.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #406 on: May 14, 2010, 12:31:09 PM
Bull. [parasitic bomb].

Brooklyn Joey is all I have to say on the matter.
Oh stop it, PB. Everybody knows you're just saying that, because you hail from New York.
Tough I admit, Brooklyn Joey wasn't that bad, in fact, he was quite good. Still, if the writing for the dub was better, I would have liked him more.

: P

As for Yusei's voice in the dub.
I say, it fits quite well. Sure it's TRISTAN, but... hell, I like it.

My favorite voice is still Carly/Commander Mars/Amy Rose tough.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #407 on: May 14, 2010, 03:05:18 PM

As for Yusei's voice in the dub.
I say, it fits quite well. Sure it's TRISTAN, but... hell, I like it.

It makes the quiet calm and reserved character sound like a smart talking punk. its rather out of character. or rather- it's Tristan. The VA is so bad he cant change tones with his characters. I mean, even Dan Green can go from SRS BSNSS CARD GAMES, to Morshu the ice cream man.
Might I add the Tristan/Yusei guy cant fake a scream to save his life?

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #408 on: May 14, 2010, 07:06:00 PM
Oh stop it, PB. Everybody knows you're just saying that, because you hail from New York.
Tough I admit, Brooklyn Joey wasn't that bad, in fact, he was quite good. Still, if the writing for the dub was better, I would have liked him more.

LoL, that's part of the reason, but it's really just because it's such an absurd idea that it's brilliant.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #409 on: May 15, 2010, 09:38:49 AM
So I saw 109. Yusei finally pulls through and has his moment there,
But- Am I the only one starting to get pissed off by the direction they seem to be shoving Carly and Aki?

Carly seems to now be no more than the comic relief, They all but dropped any real interaction between her and Jack- romantic or not, and Aki is being shoehorned into the default cheerleader mold. They TERRIBLY underplay her psychic dueling ability, which while she may call a curse, would actually be pretty damn useful in the situation instead of risking being swept away by the twister.

I hope they FIX this, and FAST.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #410 on: May 15, 2010, 03:21:09 PM
Useless females in animu?
It's more likely than you think.

If you want a romantic subplot which actually goes somewhere, and useful females... go and watch Wakfu. [HINT HINT]

Still, this is an another reason why I'm not watching 5D's anymore. : /

Archer

Reply #411 on: May 15, 2010, 10:30:10 PM
If you want a romantic subplot which actually goes somewhere, and useful females... go and watch Wakfu. [HINT HINT]
not following you here

Offline TheOnly

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #412 on: May 17, 2010, 11:35:06 PM
Yeaaa, not following you as well. But 5ds is still running, so HEY! You may never know! XD

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #413 on: May 28, 2010, 07:17:24 AM
At the risk of this being old news to the rest of the world... Im just going to post it in the 5D's topic since its still Yugioh.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ProjectYGO

I guess it could be called the sister to Abridged. its a dubbing project to give us the American Yugioh we never got, (and likely will never get)

Its a full dubbing project on the Japanese version of Yugioh.

With the guest voice of Little Kuriboh as Grandpa.

[spoiler= Episode 1 re-dub][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhUXTGk1two[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3eobrBox04[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V98xtR6GoFY[/youtube][/spoiler]

Archer

Reply #414 on: May 28, 2010, 07:27:39 AM
i have no interest in watching a fandub

the dub we already have is enough

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #415 on: May 28, 2010, 07:29:25 AM
i have no interest in watching a fandub

the dub we already have is enough
You missed the part where this is an uncut dub using the ORIGINAL JAPANESE episodes, instead of the edited/cut 4kids ones.
Its not perfect, but its not too bad for a fan dub, its decent.

Offline Klavier Gavin

• RPM Soldier
  • Einspruch!
    • View Profile
Reply #416 on: May 28, 2010, 07:32:17 AM
You missed the part where this is an uncut dub using the ORIGINAL JAPANESE episodes, instead of the edited/cut 4kids ones.
Its not perfect, but its not too bad for a fan dub, its decent.

You're just saying that because you hate 4Kids.

The 4Kids YuGiOh dub was awesome.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #417 on: May 28, 2010, 07:38:41 AM
the voices werent bad. they were fine. 4kids just for dubbing, has pretty good voice actors IMO, they get emotions much better than many dubs do.
Everything ELSE they did TO the show, wasnt fine.

Archer

Reply #418 on: May 28, 2010, 07:40:17 AM
sure it was

Offline nobody

• Robot Master
  • this is me giving a [tornado fang]
    • View Profile
Reply #419 on: May 28, 2010, 07:44:06 AM
Wow, 4Kids hate.

How original.

Gainax fanboys are the biggest hipsters all around.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #420 on: May 28, 2010, 11:53:42 AM
I also only hate the edits they do.
If they at least released uncut versions on DVD or something, then it would be a-okay.
I so want to hear my Amy Commander Carly in a uncut version of the dub. : P

Also lol fandub

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #421 on: May 28, 2010, 10:31:35 PM
Well, they did make Uncut dubbed DVD's for a while, but they stopped because of poor sales i think.
(Lol, because anyone who wants to see it uncut will just find it online)

Offline Saber

• King of Knights
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「Archetype Hero」
    • View Profile
Reply #422 on: May 29, 2010, 01:10:54 AM
You're just saying that because you hate 4Kids.

The 4Kids YuGiOh dub was awesome.

So yeah, I almost soiled myself yesterday when I discovered that the local TV station airing Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's suddenly started airing the series from episode 65 onwards without any of the 4Kids Edits. Original Japanese opening, original Japanese soundtrack, original Japanese cards. It would appear that 4Kids really is in deep [parasitic bomb] when a German TV channel actually manages to get the original footage even though 4Kids is supposed to have the worldwide rights to the show.

There's still some minor edits though (since afterall, everybody thinks this kind of show is something only children under the age of 10 should watch), but it was quite intact I have to say. It was almost creepy to actually see this on television. The German dub is still [parasitic bomb] though.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #423 on: May 29, 2010, 01:16:45 AM
Wait what?
 Really? lol, but, un edited with dubs? whos doing the distribution of it?

Offline Saber

• King of Knights
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「Archetype Hero」
    • View Profile
Reply #424 on: May 29, 2010, 01:21:27 AM
Wait what?
 Really? lol, but, un edited with dubs? whos doing the distribution of it?

The channel is called RTL II. They also aired the previous Yu-Gi-Oh! series (but like in the US, no fourth season of GX) and a whole lot of other anime, though they've been critized just as much because they cut a lot of stuff and use 4Kids material.

As I said, the episodes I saw so far had some mild edits, but so far nothing as excessive. For instance, during the VS screens, if a character's name was changed in the dub, that would be editted as well. As such, when there's the duel VS screen for Ushio and Ghost in episode 65, it got editted into Trudge. And you notice it was edited because the font is different.

And just to clarify, that channel aired the US edited version of 5D's until the 25th and then switched for the "new" version starting with episode 65, the beginning of "season 3".