The Mario Kart Thread

VixyNyan · 86917

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #200 on: March 23, 2011, 02:14:30 AM
We also need shortcuts being brought back. Stuff like the hard-to-reach hole in the wall through the ramp in the beach track in Mario 64.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #201 on: March 23, 2011, 02:22:19 AM
Ah yes, those too. Hell, make one like Wario's Stadium's for extra craziness!

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #202 on: March 23, 2011, 02:26:47 AM
Man, Waluigi's Stadium was such a disappointment when compared to it...

Offline RetroRespecter

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #203 on: March 23, 2011, 02:45:39 AM
Better yet, have an original and Double-Dash GP.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #204 on: March 23, 2011, 03:02:49 AM
Not just that, but sometimes, the worlds we go to could have some comebacks of lesser known Mario games. How about using stuff from Mario Land 1 and 2? Or hell, characters like E. Gadd or Captain Syrup.

Other games with similar cool gimmicks came along. Split/Second has really good scenario destruction capabilities for stopping upcoming racers, something that could be used in MK. As well as Blur, that features both the offensive and defensive half of the star split. Not saying it's a good idea in the Mario Kart context, but maybe it should happen for certain items and effects.

Well that's what I liked about MKDS' level designs. Very nice homages to previous Mario games. I agree, some Mario Land recognition would be awesome in the Mario Kart series.

And those gimmicks could work in a Mario Kart context. Like say, using Bob-Ombs to destroy certain parts of certain tracks, like pipes and such, thus making it where you have to either alter your course or go around it.

Also, I still say we need more tracks like 64's Yoshi's Valley but ones that have more than one actual viable road (was there more than one in Yoshi's Valley? Because I definitely can't think of more than one).

No, all roads eventually lead to the end, but one was clearly the fastest. XD

We also need shortcuts being brought back. Stuff like the hard-to-reach hole in the wall through the ramp in the beach track in Mario 64.

Or the RAINBOW ROAD DEATH JUMP!  8D

Man, Waluigi's Stadium was such a disappointment when compared to it...

Yes. Yes it was.

Waluigi's Pinball though, is [tornado fang].ing. AWE. SOME.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #205 on: March 23, 2011, 03:12:57 AM
Also, is it me, or has no Rainbow Road been as cool as the MK64 one? As my favorite track in every single one of the MK games, I feel they must fix this horrible thing.

As well as keep some of the elements of the last, such as the planet in the distance and sky coloration. But keep the night stuff, of course. Sky coloration in the bottom.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #206 on: March 23, 2011, 03:19:35 AM
Yeah, MK64 Rainbow Road is my favorite Rainbow Road as well. My personal favorite track from MK64 is probably Toad's Turnpike. However, my BEST track in that game, as well as any MK track is hands down Banshee Boardwalk. I dominate on that stage to the point of it almost being a guaranteed win. I'm seriously not bragging either. I lose maybe 1-2% on that stage.

I haven't brought this up yet, but eventually I think they'll start adding in other Nintendo franchises to the karting experience.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #207 on: March 23, 2011, 03:34:41 AM
Yeah, Rainbow Road 64 is the best one. What really needs to return in the next Rainbow Road is the character constellations. Seriously, they were such a great touch.

Also, PB's comment makes me want a Super Smash Bros Kart :(

My personal favorite track from MK64 is probably Toad's Turnpike.

God how I hate that stage. Nothing against it, I'm just returning the hate it has against me >_>

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #208 on: March 23, 2011, 03:40:31 AM
Mirror Mode Toad's Turnpike separated the Champs from the Chumps!  8D

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #209 on: March 23, 2011, 03:48:50 AM
Mirror Mode Toad's Turnpike separated the Champs from the Chumps!  8D

I reached such a high level of play in MK64 that power sliding around the entirety of the cars, trucks and buses while riding the railings s pretty much second nature. Then I relearned it all with the VC release not supporting N64 controllers.

My favorite under appreciated thing about MK64 though has got to be green shells. My siblings absolutely can't believe how I can pop them from a full screen away just by reading how they move and realing how the shell would ricochet forward or backwards.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #210 on: March 23, 2011, 03:51:10 AM
Oh I was like Green Arrow with those Green Shells in MK64.  8)

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #211 on: March 23, 2011, 05:15:13 AM
With all the people complaining about Items in Mario Kart, maybe they should follow off of Smash Bros?

As in, add in an Item switch.

That way Nintendo can keep all the items they feel like having in (Like Cloud AIDS, Flying "[tornado fang] First Place" Shells, Normal Blue Shells, POW Blocks, etc.) But for people who don't want those on or want different items (For those people wanting Nostalgia, Boos and Feathers.), Hell, add an option in to disable losing items by getting attacked. And if they really want to appeal to the MKWii Scorned, add those options in for Grand Prix Mode as well.

Granted, Nintendo won't do that because it is a legitimate way to improve the series without changing anything drastically.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #212 on: March 23, 2011, 05:41:56 AM
The problem with an Item Switch in Mario Kart is that unlike with Brawl, there would probably be a balance issue.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #213 on: March 23, 2011, 05:59:33 AM
Elaborate on that, please.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #214 on: March 23, 2011, 06:26:37 AM
The items are already unbalanced in the MK games since Double Dash. To be able to remove items, with it's current system, would upset the fragile system they already have.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #215 on: March 23, 2011, 06:45:51 AM
Ah, so what you're saying is you could essentially either remove all the powerful items (Blue Shell, Starman, Lightning, etc.) and make it so the game is essentially too simple because nobody gets good items. Make it so they get rid of all the cheap ones (Cloud Aids, Bullet Bill, Pow Block.) And the game would get too predictable. Or get rid of all the weak ones (Banana Peel, Green Shells.) and the game would get too chaotic and disatrous to even play.

I can see where you're getting at.

I still think that there should be an option to turn off losing items after getting hit by a strong attack.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #216 on: March 23, 2011, 06:53:41 AM
I still think that there should be an option to turn off losing items after getting hit by a strong attack.

Oh, that shouldn't even be an option. They need to immediately get rid of losing items all together. It's awful.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #217 on: March 23, 2011, 07:05:46 AM
Oh, that shouldn't even be an option. They need to immediately get rid of losing items all together. It's awful.

I don't know what's more depressing, the fact that someone thought this was a cool idea for Double Dash, the immediate successor to MK64 or that it's now something that has followed through to both sequels after that.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #218 on: March 23, 2011, 07:06:41 AM
Or just save that "feature" for one or two items, like, I dunno, the Bullet Bill or something specifically designed for that. Stealing items by crashing into someone at max speed with a mushroom though? That has to stay.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #219 on: March 23, 2011, 07:10:26 AM
Or just save that "feature" for one or two items, like, I dunno, the Bullet Bill or something specifically designed for that. Stealing items by crashing into someone at max speed with a mushroom though? That has to stay.

The only item I think should do that is the POW block!

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #220 on: March 23, 2011, 07:11:35 AM
Oh yeah, forgot it existed. Definitely fits.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #221 on: March 23, 2011, 07:18:54 AM
But they really need to get rid of losing items. It was never a good idea in the first place.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #222 on: March 23, 2011, 09:14:13 AM
The losing items only makes sense if you're in direct contact with another kart for some reason. Maybe if you ram a kart hard enough while it has a proper item or something.

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #223 on: March 23, 2011, 08:15:13 PM
As far as the whole co-op thing goes, I actually liked being the backseat driver!  At first glance you'd think that the only job was to toss items, but there's so much more strategy involved in that position.  You actually had the ability to sway the kart left or right using L or R, and this could do anything from help them dodge a Green Shell/Banana to avoiding falling into a pit for P1 making a driving mistake.  Swaying into a kart adjacent to you would cause you to punch them, which not only hit them but would steal their item if they were carrying once.  The backseat position is actually pretty important in its own right and serves to complement or correct the playing style of the driver.  I think the one thing that would've been nice was some kind of rear-view cam; since you're back there you should actually be able to see who's behind you and what's coming at you.  Would be nice as you could in theory prepare for what's coming and try to intercept it.  I do agree with PB's complaints about Double Dash as a whole, but I thought that the co-op mechanic was interesting and maybe could be revisited in a game that's more balanced as an optional mode of play.

I do think that Super Circuit is a very underrated game, though.  It doesn't suffer from a lot of the balance problems that are discussed in the newer titles, and plays like a neat fusion of SMK and MK64.  It did have a very interesting gimmick for its Rainbow Road, in that the majority of the walls were jump panels and could do anything from creating a shortcut to careening you off of the edge of the stage.  A lot of the tracks and music were nice too, such as Snow Land, Cheese Land, Boo Lake, Sky Garden, and the Bowser tracks.

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #224 on: March 23, 2011, 08:49:03 PM
As far as the whole co-op thing goes, I actually liked being the backseat driver!  At first glance you'd think that the only job was to toss items, but there's so much more strategy involved in that position.  You actually had the ability to sway the kart left or right using L or R, and this could do anything from help them dodge a Green Shell/Banana to avoiding falling into a pit for P1 making a driving mistake.  Swaying into a kart adjacent to you would cause you to punch them, which not only hit them but would steal their item if they were carrying once.  The backseat position is actually pretty important in its own right and serves to complement or correct the playing style of the driver.  I think the one thing that would've been nice was some kind of rear-view cam; since you're back there you should actually be able to see who's behind you and what's coming at you.  Would be nice as you could in theory prepare for what's coming and try to intercept it.  I do agree with PB's complaints about Double Dash as a whole, but I thought that the co-op mechanic was interesting and maybe could be revisited in a game that's more balanced as an optional mode of play.

I do think that Super Circuit is a very underrated game, though.  It doesn't suffer from a lot of the balance problems that are discussed in the newer titles, and plays like a neat fusion of SMK and MK64.  It did have a very interesting gimmick for its Rainbow Road, in that the majority of the walls were jump panels and could do anything from creating a shortcut to careening you off of the edge of the stage.  A lot of the tracks and music were nice too, such as Snow Land, Cheese Land, Boo Lake, Sky Garden, and the Bowser tracks.
I understand that the backseat position felt cool and it felt like you could influence some stuff, but it was ultimately completely useless as a Mario Kart mode, man. It's just not fun to play that way. If you were constantly doing stuff, then yes. But any game that has you wait for anything to happen while the other player plays happily while you do nothing most of the time, is just not a good one.

And I liked that gimmick, but I thought Rainbow Road in Super Circuit was needlessly hard compared to other games, not to mention a bit underwhelming when compared to 64's version. By the way, I just played the game just now. Just for curiosity. And amazingly... I think it feels like the most responsive of Mario Karts to me. It's probably because I spent so many years with it, but I haven't played it in a long, looooong time. But it feels like the best out of all the gameplays.