Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (Wii, PS3, 360, iPhone)

HokutoNoBen · 245734

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #275 on: February 07, 2010, 09:37:24 PM
Haha, agreed. XD
PRRRRRROMOTION! 8D

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #276 on: February 07, 2010, 10:13:27 PM
How about we just say anyone who's ever played Eggman seems to do a good job at it?

Agreed. Still....Long John Baldry's version still echoes in my head the most when I play any of the old school games.

"I HATE THAT HEDGEHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOG!!!!"  8D

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #277 on: February 08, 2010, 04:06:14 AM
Some kind of Bristow/Baldry fusion would be perfect.

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #278 on: February 08, 2010, 09:20:26 AM
Is that what Robotnik sounded like in the Sonic Live show in Sega World Sydney?

Offline Setsuna F. Seiei

• Neo Arcadian
  • 俺が, ガンダムだ!
    • View Profile
Reply #279 on: February 09, 2010, 11:52:10 AM
I think mario's a pretty cool guy, eh likes to jump in sonics pipes and doesn't afraid of anything.

Clearly shopped, but rumors are now going around that it's possibly him. Since Sonic is said to be making an apperance in that SMG Expansion game. (2 my ass)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #280 on: February 09, 2010, 07:13:41 PM
Better not be. Sega can NOT afford to screw this [parasitic bomb] up.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #281 on: February 10, 2010, 02:05:14 AM
Forgive my keen sense of the obvious, but if Mario was in it, it wouldn't be multi-platform.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #282 on: February 10, 2010, 02:09:58 AM
Forgive my keen sense of the obvious, but if Mario was in it, it wouldn't be multi-platform.

Remember those Sports games EA made for the GCN a long time back? Those were Multi-Platform, and the Nintendo Versions got Mario and Friends because they didn't have online.

But seeing as how the Wii has online, it would be pointless to give it perks, it would make all the Sonic Fans who don't own Wii's get pissy. Because nothing goes right for them.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #283 on: February 10, 2010, 02:20:03 AM
Longer answer, same conclusion.  Port-specific perks do happen, but for something of that magnitude, there'd have to be something else to counter-balance the other versions.

This is of course ignoring the whole clash of play styles.  Mario hasn't run on ceilings in normal gravity since he was in diapers.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #284 on: February 10, 2010, 08:13:48 AM

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #285 on: February 10, 2010, 08:50:23 AM
Folks need to get a life and be happy we are even getting a Sonic 4. At least he isnt as stringy as in 06.
He seesm to looks somewhat chubbier that usual...
Im fine with the current gen look in 4.

If anything, i liked his in between look, from the sonic CD animations and the movie. He still looked like oldschool sonic, but slightly cooler.

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #286 on: February 10, 2010, 05:37:46 PM
This is of course ignoring the whole clash of play styles.
Hey, the clash of play styles is what makes character selection so interesting.  The only problem is when certain parts of the game are much too hard for one of the characters, which is why some people didn't like MegaMan & Bass.

Offline Night

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #287 on: February 10, 2010, 05:57:28 PM
just ask for an unlockable alternate character model. EVERYONE A' HAPPY!

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #288 on: February 10, 2010, 07:36:05 PM
Folks need to get a life and be happy we are even getting a Sonic 4.

Pray tell, why should we?

What has Sega done, that we, the fan base that they're trying to market to for Sonic 4, should be "happy" about anything re: Sonic 4? Especially for yet ANOTHER case that's claiming a "return to his roots" for the umpteenth time in as many years?  8D

No, Sega/Sonic doesn't get "Capcom-style" allowances when it comes to things like this. They haven't done a SINGLE, DAMNED THING that warrants such.

If they can even find a way to surpass a fangame/hack like Sonic 1 Megamix, THEN they can start talking. Til then, nothing's changed, especially not the notion that this game even "deserves" the 4 after its name.  8D

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #289 on: February 10, 2010, 07:41:30 PM
Granted, but consider what Flame was responding to.  A "Classic Skin" on Sonic doesn't fix any of that.  There will probably be a million reasons to complain about the so-called STH4, but I don't see Sonic's eye color and buckles as being one of them.

Hey, the clash of play styles is what makes character selection so interesting.  The only problem is when certain parts of the game are much too hard for one of the characters, which is why some people didn't like MegaMan & Bass.
I'm referring to when the difference is so drastic as to warrant a different level design.  A "true" Sonic level design, assuming of course Sega will actually do a decent job of putting their money where their mouth is, includes a lot of stunts that I don't see as fitting for Mario.  Granted, with Amy doing loop-de-loops, Sega is pretty loose on that point, but still.

Heck, for that matter I don't think it'd work very well the other way around, either (referring to the "Sonic in SMG2" rumor above).  2D Mario is pretty basic platforming and friendly to a wide variety of characters, but 3D Mario is about sandbox fetch-questing at a lax pace while you drool over the environment.  That's not a play style that Sonic belongs in.  Though, I must admit, I'd be curious to see the press's reaction if that ever actually happened.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #290 on: February 10, 2010, 08:12:06 PM
Quote from:  Ben "Yahtzee" Crowshaw of Zero Punctuation
Releasing Sonic into a 3D environment is the equivalent of releasing fish into the dead sea. IT DOESNT WORK.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #291 on: February 10, 2010, 08:17:13 PM
Quote from:  Ben "Yahtzee" Crowshaw of Zero Punctuation
Releasing Sonic into a 3D environment is the equivalent of releasing fish into the dead sea. IT DOESNT WORK.

You know, when people eat up this bullshit I don't know whether or not I should slap them or just laugh. Anything can work in any situations if you have developers who actually can make things work and ideas that mesh with that mindset.

Saying things like this is just a cheap and easy way of saying "lol I can't be arsed to make a decent game under certain situations, so here's whatever turd we can put together now".

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #292 on: February 10, 2010, 09:31:39 PM
Lol, I love how you take that seriously. Yahtzee should never be taken seriously.

In any case, it sure does not seem to work right when Sega is involved. They always seem to much SOMETHING up.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #293 on: February 10, 2010, 09:35:14 PM
[parasitic bomb], I forgot that Yahtzee's shtick is basically that. XD

Proceed.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #294 on: February 10, 2010, 09:43:24 PM
Lawl.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #295 on: February 10, 2010, 11:21:07 PM
Yahtzee: "I am now making a simple but mainstream-nerdishly hilarious visual analogy of either a valid criticism of the game or just a part with which only I had difficulty, which seems to be about as frequent as Lady Gaga dying her haaaaair. See, there's one now."

[spoiler]Yahtzee: "You also just read that line in my voice as well as this one, and at the same speed as my reviewwwwws."[/spoiler]

Seriously, though, he's right about Sonic in 3D. We already have a little camera/control hassle with 3D Marios, and if not we as in RPM, then certainly we as in the general public just by looking at the sales numbers of 2D Mario games compared to 3D. Now, take the most control-related frustrating moment in a 3D Mario game you've ever had, now set it at about twice the speed and couple it with the fact that you can never move in the straight line that you need to.

It simply does not work. Though neither means/ends is unachievable by either dimensional setting, 2D is simply more inclined towards platforming and performance whereas 3D is more suited for exploration and freedom of movement. The times that Sonic has worked the best in 3D were when you are relieved of directional control except in one direction and the game puts Sonic on-rails (see: Emerald Coast SA1, select sections of Sonic Heroes and Black Knight). Worse, Unleashed bloody well destroyed your range of vision when you used the Boost by blurring everything (visual clutter was also a valid complaint when he reviewed Darksiders, and will more than likely rear its ugly head again when he reviews Bayonetta).

Sonic is 2D only, Sonic Team. No harm, just lesson learned. Get a new IP for your 3D action, rethink stage structure and pacing, and move on.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #296 on: February 10, 2010, 11:40:41 PM
Like a Knux spin-off series. Because, imho, the 3D works for him hunting Emerald shards and stuff.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #297 on: February 10, 2010, 11:51:20 PM
Precisely, exploration and freedom of movement.

If Sonic has to be in a 3D setting, eliminate the notion of "speed", and instead focus on fluid platforming with shortest routes set in short but numerous stages with different atmosphere every time, even in the same zone.

NOTE: This is not what Shadow the Hedgehog was. The stages were only a little shorter than others, and the focus was combat (worse, combined with pseudo-speed) not platforming.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #298 on: February 10, 2010, 11:56:48 PM
The Adventure games were just fine. Sure, they were glitchy, and the camera was a pain compared to other 3D games. But you know what? Those things just managed to get worse over time, that's the problem. They were moving in the wrong direction, it's not because of the dimension of the game. If they could get back to at least the polish of the Adventure games (better than that would be optimal, but let's be realistic here), and made sane choices (ie. no [tornado fang]ing werehog), then Sonic in 3D would be just fine. Now get your head out of your asses and think a little bit more.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #299 on: February 11, 2010, 12:04:21 AM
Precisely, exploration and freedom of movement.

If Sonic has to be in a 3D setting, eliminate the notion of "speed", and instead focus on fluid platforming with shortest routes set in short but numerous stages with different atmosphere every time, even in the same zone.

NOTE: This is not what Shadow the Hedgehog was. The stages were only a little shorter than others, and the focus was combat (worse, combined with pseudo-speed) not platforming.

See, even this I can't get behind. There are elements in tons of other games that tell me that momentum (and speed based rewards) can be applied to a 3D Sonic game without horribly breaking the gameplay. Jet Set Radio comes to mind almost instantaneously for a few of the race segments. Funnily enough though, there are two great examples of how Sonic can be done in 3D, and both are racing games, namely F-Zero GX & Trackmania (especially Trackmania).

I'll get more into it in a second though.