Nintendo Power announces Mega Man 10

Jazz Shaking · 94597

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #475 on: December 11, 2009, 01:01:51 PM
As I said earlier:

I absolutely would not mind Capcom making Mega Man 11-∞ in the 8bit style. I would welcome that even.

Offline KudosForce

• The wild card
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Will our future be good? Only the cards will tell.
    • View Profile
Reply #476 on: December 11, 2009, 02:41:54 PM
I absolutely would not mind Capcom making Mega Man 11-∞ in the 8bit style. I would welcome that even.

This.

Also, yes, it's rather inconvenient that the newest entries are DLC-only, but hey, those are the breaks. :\ I'll manage.

I do hope that they release some kind of physical compilation of these newest entries, when all is said and done, though. :V

Offline Dexter Dexter

• Utterly jaded
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I was born with this face...
    • View Profile
Reply #477 on: December 11, 2009, 04:04:28 PM

But shouldn't there be a time where the developers should get over the 8-bit and move on to the, say, 16-, 32-bit, or 2.5D? I'm not saying the 8-bit style is bad, I'm saying, like I stated earlier, that's it's a bit overdone. With the Mega Man series, that is.

SAMPLE TEXT

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #478 on: December 11, 2009, 04:06:33 PM
They can always do that if they want to.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #479 on: December 11, 2009, 04:06:38 PM
Only when time is right. ^^

I want more Mega Man games tho. Any of them is good, and now we get 8-bit games. That's delicious~

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #480 on: December 11, 2009, 05:16:13 PM
Not even gonna touch the X9 debate. My stance has already been established in that case. Although, the graphics debate is weak, especially considering that the SNES controls are superior in every manner. Isn't that what matters? The gameplay?

For the X-series gameplay, the SNES does not mark its epitome. Neither do any of the X-series games that postdate those. If gameplay was what truly matters, we'd use a variation of the RockmanZERO/ZX engine. No use in Inti emulating that which they've exceeded by miles.

All because I dont like the graphical direction dont mean I wont play it.

This is your main problem, Flame. Play 9 before you talk.

I mean, I sincerely believe both Rockman9 and Rockman10 are better off being titled "World6" and "World7" due to very much being a technological regression compared to Rockman8. With StreetFighter Capcom had made clear they consider a numbered sequel to need to exceed the previous title in all respects; Rockman9 was the complete opposite of that statement. And even if we're being deliberately retro, the NES was capable of so much more than R9 presented....

Still, R9 is a brilliant title and I expect this to be as well. With the decreased focus on graphics IntiCreates should be able to put their all into the game's very essence; they simply have to put their heart into everything else to justify their graphical shortcuts. R9 had heart, and this will too. Using what they've learned in their previous title, they're going to understand more and more what Rockman is truly about. A valuable experience indeed.

Even in the graphical department, a return to the roots of technological limitations allows artists to relearn what was long lost by the technological advancement of the gaming industry; to create something of charming simplicity. All of that will one day positively influence their more graphically advanced titles.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #481 on: December 11, 2009, 05:20:22 PM
Well I like Zan.

That doesn't mean I dislike Flame and Shelly.

Offline KudosForce

• The wild card
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #482 on: December 11, 2009, 05:50:21 PM
Still, R9 is a brilliant title and I expect this to be as well. With the decreased focus on graphics IntiCreates should be able to put their all into the game's very essence; they simply have to put their heart into everything else to justify their graphical shortcuts. R9 had heart, and this will too. Using what they've learned in their previous title, they're going to understand more and more what Rockman is truly about. A valuable experience indeed.

Even in the graphical department, a return to the roots of technological limitations allows artists to relearn what was long lost by the technological advancement of the gaming industry; to create something of charming simplicity. All of that will one day positively influence their more graphically advanced titles.

Indeed, Zan. Indeed. owob Is it any wonder why many in the MM community are so inspired, to do their own 8-bit MM games?

Offline Yoku Man

• Robot Master of Yoku Blocks.
  • Resistance Member
  • "Don't Trust Your Eyes, Trust Mine."
    • View Profile
Reply #483 on: December 11, 2009, 06:13:11 PM
Indeed, Zan. Indeed. owob Is it any wonder why many in the MM community are so inspired, to do their own 8-bit MM games?

Yeh I'd like to add that me and N64Mario have learned quite a big deal about Mega Man and its 8-Bit game physics, whilst creating our engine for the fangame. There are things like the x and y and velocities of walking, jumping, that many fans would take for granted and may never had really noticed all these years. (Did you know Mega Man can only ever cross a four tiled pit, at most, by tip toeing on the edge?) Its amazing the things you need to know to get the 8-Bit Mega Man gameplay feel authentic.

Kudos to the makers of Mega Man 9 for keeping that aspect of the Mega Man Experience, its the really basic feel and platform physics that can make it so challenging and enjoyable. I feel that Mega Man 10 will definately improve on these things, more challenges that'll go alongside the simple nature of platform physics.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #484 on: December 11, 2009, 06:15:32 PM
(Did you know Mega Man can only ever cross a four tiled pit, at most, by tip toeing on the edge?)

Advent's minigame tells you this the hard way.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #485 on: December 11, 2009, 06:25:19 PM
I'd say Magma Man's stage tells you that a lot harder.

you know, kind of think a bit, it's not surprise that Inti only stick to the MM2 style of gameplay since Inafune orgasm with that one and is scared of MM3 >^<
That's something that bugged me about 9.  I don't mind the NES style in the least, but Rock refusing to slide is just moronic.  And no matter what development-horrors Inafune faced with 3, choosing 2's Get Weapon music for re-use is complete insanity.

For the X-series gameplay, the SNES does not mark its epitome. Neither do any of the X-series games that postdate those. If gameplay was what truly matters, we'd use a variation of the RockmanZERO/ZX engine. No use in Inti emulating that which they've exceeded by miles.
Physics are but one element of gameplay, and yes, Inti delivered the easily most fluid movement in ZX.  But there's still plenty in the gameplay department that they could learn from actual X-series titles.  Not the least of which is how to properly handle Zero's abilities (kudos for Model OX's Double Charge Wave, though).

With the decreased focus on graphics IntiCreates should be able to put their all into the game's very essence; they simply have to put their heart into everything else to justify their graphical shortcuts. R9 had heart, and this will too. Using what they've learned in their previous title, they're going to understand more and more what Rockman is truly about. A valuable experience indeed.
If it goes that way.  I've often said that I consider R9 to be at best a good start, that is they're going in a good direction but failed in any initial attempts at matching the quality of actual NES gameplay.  I certainly want them to learn to do it better, and I believe they're close.  Inti usually but does not always outdo themselves with sequels.  So we'll see.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #486 on: December 11, 2009, 06:42:35 PM
Physics are but one element of gameplay, and yes, Inti delivered the easily most fluid movement in ZX.  But there's still plenty in the gameplay department that they could learn from actual X-series titles.  Not the least of which is how to properly handle Zero's abilities (kudos for Model OX's Double Charge Wave and Z3's Throw Blade, though).

That's what I mean with 'variation'; using the core principles of the X-series in combination with the physics of their own series. With R9 they've certainly shown that they're willing to follow exactly how a classic series arsenal should be done, and as such I have no doubt they could repeat this for an X-series game.

Inti usually but does not always outdo themselves with sequels.  So we'll see.

I think they've shown fairly well that whenever they do not exceed their previous effort, they certainly deliver a completely different experience. They certainly tried a lot of new things after ZERO3 reached a new level of quality.

Is it any wonder why many in the MM community are so inspired, to do their own 8-bit MM games?

Well, that's mostly because how simple it looks compared to the other styles. Trying to match or exceeds R8 graphically is not something most non-professional spriters would think of doing.

Speaking of graphics, that's one thing R9/10's simplistic art style certainly does; they inspire artists to work with these characters. Just look at the massive amount of fan art someone like SheepMan has already received. If Capcom doesn't deliver us modern graphics, the fans will make them. Just as the opposite is true as well; see the R7/8 demakes.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #487 on: December 11, 2009, 07:01:22 PM
the NES was capable of so much more than R9 presented....

I can't see how this statement would be true.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #488 on: December 11, 2009, 07:28:50 PM
You had to be paying attention to 5 and 6 to really notice.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline KudosForce

• The wild card
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #489 on: December 11, 2009, 07:33:19 PM

Well, that's mostly because how simple it looks compared to the other styles. Trying to match or exceeds R8 graphically is not something most non-professional spriters would think of doing.

Speaking of graphics, that's one thing R9/10's simplistic art style certainly does; they inspire artists to work with these characters. Just look at the massive amount of fan art someone like SheepMan has already received. If Capcom doesn't deliver us modern graphics, the fans will make them. Just as the opposite is true as well; see the R7/8 demakes.

True, but you do have to admit that one can great achieve great things, when the style is well-exploited.

I know what I am talking about, as I have been watching several select 8-bit MM fangame projects (including those on this site).

Fans with enough dedication are willing to go where Capcom has never gone before. Take Gatuca, for instance. He is working on a MM fangame that not only has Roll as the main playable character, but also has a full female robot master line-up!

Retro elements are a great inspiration to aspiring video game makers. They can also allow fans to show their dedication to the series.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #490 on: December 11, 2009, 07:46:20 PM
http://img.brothersoft.com/screenshots/softimage/r/rockman_6-139063-3.jpeg
http://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/NES/MegaManVI-PlantMan.png

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/technology-blog/sites/cbc.ca/docs/technology/technology-blog/megaman9.jpg

Where Rockman9 often abuses black backgrounds, the actual NES games added a lot more detail to their environments. Not to mention, titles such as both XC/XS/BnF show how proportions and posing of the characters can be much improved even under strict limitations.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #491 on: December 11, 2009, 07:54:39 PM
Which is part of my beef with this new direction.
MM9 was good, but it could've been so incredibly much better, even without breaking the retro style.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #492 on: December 11, 2009, 08:19:19 PM
Hey people, I like Mega Man.

Do you like Mega Man?
It was just an honest question, Acid. 1 and 2 were the only ones released in the 80's, (the rest in the 90's) And Capcom themselves have stated, (I think, didn't they?) that 9 was based around the greatness of 2, or something like that. So, since 2 was released in the 80's, Is it possible that releasing 9 on '08 was intentional?

This is your main problem, Flame. Play 9 before you talk
I WOULD have, if not for issues I mentioned before. (points, and actually, for a while, issues connecting it to the net)

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #493 on: December 11, 2009, 08:21:31 PM
If you're desperate, Flame: HBC. But you decide if you want to go that way.

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #494 on: December 11, 2009, 08:22:57 PM
HBC?
Also, the problems not there anymore, since I realied I should have checked Best Buy and Gamestop for points. Makes me feel mighty silly, but hey, I havent gone there since I actually bought the thing.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #495 on: December 11, 2009, 08:23:32 PM
It was just an honest question, Acid.

Oh I wasn't referring to you. I think the 08-80s thing is a coincidence.

But MM10 in 2010...

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #496 on: December 11, 2009, 08:24:51 PM
Well THAT certainly is intentional.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #498 on: December 11, 2009, 08:51:17 PM
Also, yes, it's rather inconvenient that the newest entries are DLC-only, but hey, those are the breaks. :\ I'll manage.

I really don't see this as a problem, being that it makes the game cheap! 

I'm a fan of cheap.

Offline DjKlzonez

• B-Class Hunter
  • Once a year
    • View Profile
Reply #499 on: December 11, 2009, 09:31:53 PM
I think Capcom will make 5 more megaman games  :\ :
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Steam       Youtube