Jericho · 9983

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
on: October 29, 2009, 12:48:47 AM
Hmm, I wonder why...

"I tend to forget those games [laughs]. I'm a big fan of the 'Star Fox' games. Every time we make a 'Star Fox' game I'm hoping people will enjoy it as much as I do. Of course the goal every time is to try and make it more and more fun but, at least in Japan, the people that purchase the 'Star Fox' games has decreased over the years. But we still try to make them more fun and hopefully people will see the appeal in those games."

Source

Now, I find it funny that Miyamoto's talking StarFox after we've mentioned it here recently. In my opinion, SF is in need of a return to basics/form. I've mentioned it too many times for it to get repeated again here, but now that Miyamoto has mentioned it, I have to wonder what he plans to do (if anything currently) to change this.

In short:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Offline Black Mage J

• Sucking on fingers.
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 12:50:39 AM
Its becuase of all the ground shooting stages and all that, I wanna Pilot through suns and escape explosions and shoot slippy while he is being chased by the enemy again.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 12:55:31 AM
Starfox should be about babbling animals in space crafts blowing [parasitic bomb] up.

Nothing more and nothing less.

I think.

Offline Black Mage J

• Sucking on fingers.
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 12:58:50 AM
You forgot fighting giant heads and or arms.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 01:01:25 AM
Yeah, Acid gets it. No need to reinvent the wheel when the mold was already perfected with SF64. Just throw in some no-brainers for longevity's sake (local & online 4 player co-op with each person flying as the main 4 & online multiplayer dogfights with big groups) and polish the hell out of the single player and you'd be looking at a really nice product.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 01:13:38 AM
Don't Fix What Ain't Broken

Referring to SNES and 64, of course.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 01:30:55 AM
He said he's disappointed in the reception, not the games.  Not as bright a light as the title appears, but it's something.

I don't think there's a single person alive who doesn't find SF and SF64 to be the easy top two games.  So, yeah, that ought to say something.  And if it doesn't, the fact that Sakurai and co. went with the N64 Great Fox in Lylat Cruise ought to smack you in the face with it.

We like the N64 formula, we like the N64 ship style.  Assault made everything look clumsier, stupider, and slower.  Even if it axed the on-foot segments it still wouldn't have been enough.  They need to focus on what Star Fox does best rather than on what it hasn't done (or done well).

Also, seeing SF2 on Virtual Console would be cool.  It's no 64, but it's still pretty nifty, and it'd be nice to finally see it out there legitimately.

It's not that Star Fox's core can't be improved.  Command's shpiel with personal ships was pretty cool.  And yeah, co-op and wi-fi would be awesome.  And if we do another full all-range game somebody needs to implement manual rolling (though I wouldn't mind corridors at all).  The problem is that Adventures, Assault, and Command all tried to do something drastic, and that's what's ticking the fans off.  Star Fox needs to stay closer to the old formula.  Not Yoshi's Island DS close, but close.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 02:20:43 AM
Also, seeing SF2 on Virtual Console would be cool.  It's no 64, but it's still pretty nifty, and it'd be nice to finally see it out there legitimately.

Well, first things first. We would need for the emulation to be up to snuff, so that we can get the ORIGINAL StarFox on VC. 8D

That's the main reason why that damn game is not up on the VC yet. Because if they want to provide a pixel-perfect experience, just "cheating" like what most emulators do would not cut it.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 02:36:20 AM
I understand Miyamoto's desire to see Starfox outside of the Arwing.

But Assault was not the answer. Keep SF64's ratio, but make the on-foot replace one or two Landmaster/Blue Marine levels. Or something.

Assault's ratio of vehicles wasn't extremely awful, considering, but it was the amount of time spent in these other modes that destroyed the formula, not stage-to-mode.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 02:43:05 AM
Well, first things first...the ORIGINAL StarFox on VC. 8D
Point taken.

That's the main reason why that damn game is not up on the VC yet. Because if they want to provide a pixel-perfect experience, just "cheating" like what most emulators do would not cut it.
Enlighten me, how do other emulators "cheat" in Star Fox?  Because by the time I started emulating Star Fox my brother had boxed up the SNES, so I never got to compare directly.  But SNES9XGX seems to handle it pretty well.

VC already did Mario RPG, which came with the SA-1 coprocessor.  So yeah, while Nintendo usually takes the cheapskate route in VC emulation, they will go into the enhanced internal hardware (no luck with peripherals yet it seems) if need be for a big title.  I would think Star Fox would qualify.  Main issue right now would be Nintendo's general lack of interest in the VC as compared to WiiWare.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 02:49:29 AM
The solution is simple, dammit. A better Corridor/All-Range ratio (like the one in SF64, for instance) and no blasted On-Foot segments. There, problem solved.

If he really wants to see the SF team out of their Vehicles, then the solution there is simple too... make a side-story game that does so. I'm not talking like SF Adventures here where it felt tacked on, but something from the ground up. Otherwise though, On-Foot Star Fox can go burn in Solar.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 03:08:10 AM
I'm thinking of an On-Foot Starfox more akin to Assault's ice planet and Sargasso, rather than Corneria and Aparoid Homeworld.

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 03:30:30 AM
funfacts, Miyamoto is the reason starfox isn't very space shooter-y anymore.
granted, Assault was [tornado fang]ing awesome.

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 04:22:27 AM
Dear Nintendo,

Is the person who wrote Command's story still on your payroll? Yes?

Fire him. Damn yiffing furfag. Star Fox doesn't need a crappy love plot. It just needs Slippy getting killed mercilessly.

Offline Kirby Pink

• Joker
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • "I play a card."
    • View Profile
    • Sprite Album
Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 02:33:33 PM
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv5qzMtLE60[/youtube]
Do a Barrel Roll!

Offline Keno

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: October 29, 2009, 04:32:39 PM
It's not just the reception. Miyamoto has had second guessing problems with Star Fox forever. He didn't release Star Fox 2 because he didn't like it, & what they had finished was rad.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: October 29, 2009, 08:02:10 PM
Dear Nintendo,

Is the person who wrote Command's story still on your payroll? Yes?

Fire him. Damn yiffing furfag. Star Fox doesn't need a crappy love plot. It just needs Slippy getting killed mercilessly.

But wouldn't Slippy getting killed mercilessly also be considered a love plot?   8D

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: October 30, 2009, 12:01:38 AM
It's not just the reception. Miyamoto has had second guessing problems with Star Fox forever. He didn't release Star Fox 2 because he didn't like it, & what they had finished was rad.
I thought it was to keep from stealing the imminent N64's thunder?

Eh, whatever.  Still a stupid move.

Offline Black Mage J

• Sucking on fingers.
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: October 30, 2009, 12:50:30 AM
But wouldn't Slippy getting killed mercilessly also be considered a love plot?   8D
Slippy getting killed counts for an entire fricking 5 levels.
I thought it was to keep from stealing the imminent N64's thunder?

Eh, whatever.  Still a stupid move.
it was becuase they wanted to bring the best starfox they could bring so instead of translating starfox 2 they skipped ahead to starfox 64 so they could give you a better expierience of killing Slippy.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: October 30, 2009, 01:15:58 AM
Killing Slippy?  Where's the fun in that?  I prefer to blow the [parasitic bomb] out of him under the premise of "rescuing" him.

Titania was so awesome that way.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: October 30, 2009, 01:18:36 AM
But wouldn't Slippy getting killed mercilessly also be considered a love plot?   8D

Nah, just mercy. XD

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: October 30, 2009, 06:59:53 AM
Give me more chances to pilot Wolf

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: October 30, 2009, 03:45:33 PM
HEY! MISSILE! YOU SUCK!

Offline Keno

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: October 31, 2009, 04:40:47 AM
I hate Wolf because his new voice actor sucks dick.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: October 31, 2009, 04:57:09 AM
I hate Wolf because his new voice actor sucks dick.

The 64 VAs were amazing. i can't believe they all got recasted.