Obligatory Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum thread

Hypershell · 130241

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #200 on: December 06, 2008, 10:38:16 PM
Why exactly do you find using one overpowered pokemon better than using a full team of them, or none? I'm just wondering.

Offline Seanizzle126

• Master of the AZELFS.
  • Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #201 on: December 06, 2008, 10:40:07 PM
I know what Gimmicks are HyperShell >__>
Anyways I love gimmick pokes they are really fun.

My favorite tier is UU though.
I find it fun to see pokes you would never use ^__^

Sean is back!
Formally Seanrocks126!

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #202 on: December 06, 2008, 11:21:41 PM
Yeah, using unexpected Pokemon is always fun.  I'd have to say I like the UU/BL tier the best.  I never really liked the concept of using legendaries/ubers.  I just catch them for the sake of owning them; I never actually use them on people.  Heck, my legendaries just sit in the box all day, untouched.

Besides, whooping someone with a UU Pokemon is so much more enjoyable than doing it with an Uber.  8)

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #203 on: December 07, 2008, 04:33:29 AM
I've seen some pretty original UU/BL teams, they are fun to battle.  And actually, I too tend to whip out a few BL Pokemon of my own out of favoritism.  Lapras, Steelix, Rotom, Scyther, and Flygon are all Pokemon I enjoy bringing into battle, and half my current team comes from that group.

Being unexpected doesn't always have to involve BL/UU Tiers, either.  My most enjoyable Pokemon butt-whooping is watching Dragonite lay waste to a usual counter, especially Ice Beam equipped Ubers.  There is nothing like watching Kyogre fall to an Outrage to win the match. 8)

Why exactly do you find using one overpowered pokemon better than using a full team of them, or none? I'm just wondering.
Because it's the only way to allow a wide group of useable Pokemon without having to outright ban anything.  There aren't a whole lot of 'mans that perform well in an Uber-centric battle.  Hell, some of the Uber class doesn't even perform well in all-Uber battles.  Giratina is virtually worthless because you almost never see another Uber who doesn't carry one of his weaknesses.  And Garchomp, despite pjwning the OU tier, doesn't have the power to stand up to the likes of Groudon and Latios.  The same to a lesser extent applies to Mew, who is deemed Uber due to being unpredictable, not for power.  An all-Uber match is severely limiting and lacking variety, which makes for a boring way to play.

Using a lone Uber is a common practice with casual battlers, too.  Most people who have an affinity for an obvious Uber will usually try to blend them into otherwise standard teams rather than throw all-Uber sets that invite complaints of cheap play.  I'm currently engaged in such a PBR tournament held by one of Serebii's users.  Why nobody in the "competitive" circles will acknowledge it as a valid format is beyond me.

Not to mention the all-Uber concept completely wrecks Double Battles.  There's only so much you can do against a Scarfed Darkrai/Kyogre opener, and most of it involves Explosion.

My favorite tier is UU though.
I find it fun to see pokes you would never use ^__^
Man, do I miss Yellow's Petite Cup...  Sunny Park Colosseum was a nice throwback, even if it makes Sneasel completely broken.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #204 on: December 08, 2008, 09:46:37 AM
Some Pokemon movie news.

The 12th Pokemon movie, is set to have Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, and most probably Arceus, the God of all Pokemon.
Besides Arceus, a new yellow Pokemon is also set to be introduced, the first official word of the 5th generation of Pokemon?
Only time will tell.

Also, Spear Pillar will be a very important venue in the movie.

Source: Pokebeach.com

You can view a trailer/interview on the 12th movie in the link.

A follow-up news post has been added, taking an in-depth look at the trailer for Arceus, and a look at the 5th generation Pokemon.

Head over to Pokebeach.com to read, and be amazed. 8D

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Ephidiel

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #205 on: December 08, 2008, 12:53:26 PM
last scene in the trailer is Cresselia o_o

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #206 on: December 08, 2008, 01:08:09 PM
That is a preview for an upcoming episode "Cresselia VS Darkrai".

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #207 on: December 08, 2008, 08:06:49 PM
Huh, I'd have guessed an unusually shadowy Shaymin Sky Form if not for the fact that it was already revealed in the last movie.

BTW, I am hating this "import Pokemon once a day" limit.  Diamond/Pearl are anal about making sure the clocks are synchronized between the DS and GBA games, if you change the DS's clock, (say, for DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME, thanks a lot, Nintendo), you have to re-synch and then wait a full day after that re-synch before you can import any Pokemon.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #208 on: December 08, 2008, 08:38:57 PM
Oh, hey, that reminds me, I had a dream last night in which I discovered and purchased LG and FR so I could get the version exclusives in Diamond.

Man, I was willing to pay money just for that? I'm pretty stupid when I'm asleep. :/

So uh yeah isn't that an interesting story?

Offline Seanizzle126

• Master of the AZELFS.
  • Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #209 on: December 09, 2008, 04:39:37 AM
NO!
The Smogon boards officially anounced that Shaymin Sky Form is OU :[

Sean is back!
Formally Seanrocks126!

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #210 on: December 09, 2008, 10:15:39 PM
They'll probably change it in due time the same as they did Manaphy (I can't believe it took them as long as they did to notice how abusable Hydration/Rest is on a Base 600 Pokemon).

It's not the complete end of the world.  While a STAB Seed Flare + Serene Grace from a 120SpecialAttack/127Speed Pokemon will hurt like all hell, Shaymin only has Normal, Psychic, and Ground attacks to round out its offensive arsenal.  And Grass as a type is pretty screwed anyway; they always have been on Shoddy since thanks to HP abuse a special sweeper without an Ice attack is pretty much nonexistant.  And seeings how Shaymin-S is a Grass/Flying and no longer a pure Grass, you can kinda think of it as a new variety of dragon.  Plenty of Pokemon resist Grass, although getting caught with a lowered Special Defense could be trouble.  But I'd certainly rather run into Sky Shaymin than Garchomp.  We'll see what happens.

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #211 on: December 09, 2008, 10:35:40 PM
Oh joy... here comes the next set of Pokemon. I'm calling that it will equal or break the 600 barrier.

I look forward to the day they run out of animals to use and make a Sandwich into a Pokemon.

Offline Pyro

• Wielder of the Chaos Force
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #212 on: December 10, 2008, 07:43:53 PM
Looks like we got an American release date for Pokemon Platinum. March 22, 2009.

Better mark your calendars.  8)

Come and read some Thoughts of a Platypus

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #213 on: December 11, 2008, 02:30:36 PM
March 22...
That's still a long wait... ;_;

Posted on: December 11, 2008, 15:58:31
Well, besides knowing the release date (though it could still be tentative...), official localised names for Pluto (Team Galactic scientist), Detective Handsome (The super disguiser), and the Torn World are now known.
Respectively, the names are now, Charon, Looker and the Distortion World.

Source: Pokebeach.com

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #214 on: December 11, 2008, 08:31:19 PM
It's cause Pluto's not a planet anymore! Oh Nintendo!

...You suck. :\

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #215 on: December 12, 2008, 01:06:21 AM
Nothing quite reminds us of human arrogance like demoting a celestial body.

*a'hem*  Anyway, that "5th gen Pokemon"?  Serebii indicates that it's just an unusually furry Pichu.
http://serebii.net/index2.shtml

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #216 on: December 12, 2008, 07:59:52 AM
It's cause Pluto's not a planet anymore! Oh Nintendo!

...You suck. :\
Actually, according to Water Pokemon Master of Pokebeach, it could be due to copyright issues with Disney's Pluto, you know, Mickey's dog. XD
Quote from:  Actual quote from WPM
According to the game's description, Team Galactic scientist "Pluto" will be re-named "Charon" for the English game. Charon is the name of Pluto's largest moon. The character was probably renamed to avoid copyright trademarks or confusion with the Disney character Pluto (Mickey Mouse's dog). The same was done when "Team Galaxy" was changed to "Team Galactic" in America, since there is a cartoon named Team Galaxy.

And a furry Pichu?
All that ?? for a Pichu?
LOL, seriously LOL... (I still believe in the heart of the cards the 5th gen... XD)

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #217 on: December 12, 2008, 08:15:38 AM
Fifth gen spoiler: MULTIPLE PICHU FORMS

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #218 on: December 13, 2008, 10:57:53 AM
Well, the official Pokemon movie site has been updated, to prepare for the 12th movie "To the Conquering of Space-Time".
The ?? Pokemon is now confirmed as...
A Pichu, a female one to be exact, that has a special left ear, granting it the nickname "Notched-Ear Pichu".

Moving along...
Shaymin is now officially revealed on Pokemon.com, though no news of when it's going to be released is known at this time. The site prompts to come back for any updates.

Source: Pokebeach.com (Pichu || Shaymin)

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #219 on: December 13, 2008, 05:27:40 PM
So...WTF was the point of hiding a freaking Pichu? -__-

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #220 on: December 13, 2008, 05:36:42 PM
It could mean that in the next gen of Pokemon games, there will be more Pokemon with gender differences...
As shown, Pichu. >_>

Archer

Reply #221 on: December 15, 2008, 01:42:36 PM
So...WTF was the point of hiding a freaking Pichu? -__-
for the lulz.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #222 on: December 25, 2008, 07:11:02 PM
*blows a bit of the dust off*

Well, just wanted to bring up more localizational stuff regarding Platinum.

The Battle Recorder is now known as the VS Recorder (First VS Seeker, now VS Recorder? ._.).
Giratina Another Forme (The one we see in D/P) is now known as Giratina Altered Forme, while Giratina Origin Forme remains unchanged.

Lastly...
The official release date for Platinum in the US is confirmed as the 22 March 2009.

Source: Serebii.net

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #223 on: December 26, 2008, 05:08:21 AM
Can someone give me a quick rundown on what to have in regards to a Pokemon team?  I'm working on a UU team now, but I'm still contemplating who the 6th member should be.  Heck, this is the first time I've ever EV trained anything as well.  Here's what I've got so far:

Clefable
Shuckle
Lopunny
Lanturn
Sandslash

Some members of my team are used for playing tricks (i.e. Switcheroo), Sandslash is a Rapid Spinner/Physical Sweeper, Lanturn is a special attacker/sponge, and Shuckle is a wall.  I'm considered Xatu and Cloyster, but I'm still a little stuck.

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #224 on: December 26, 2008, 07:55:14 AM
Your team's lookin' pretty slow there. Might wanna get something fast and dangerous so you can fight back against anything with decent speed + swords dance. Dodrio or something. I dunno, I'm not good at UU. Or, well, any tier, really, but I'm worse at UU.

Also in unrelated news why is there only one life orb per game? I need moooooooooore argh.