Welcome to the Olympic Winter Games, Mario and Sonic.

Solar · 7610

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
on: February 12, 2009, 07:23:05 PM
Mario and Sonic Head to the Slopes in Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games
The Two Most Famous Video Game Icons Return For Another Olympic Competition

TOKYO (February 12, 2009) – SEGA® Corporation and Nintendo Co., Ltd today announced that two of the biggest video game heroes, Mario™ and Sonic™, will be coming together again, this time taking their rivalry to the snow and ice in another officially licensed Olympic-themed smash hit Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games™. Heading to stores late in 2009 on the Wii™ home video game system and Nintendo DS™, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games will take players to Vancouver, Canada, host city of the official 2010 Olympic Winter Games. This gaming experience invites players of all ages and skill sets to face-off in some of the most intense winter competitions available for the Nintendo platforms.

Developed by SEGA of Japan, under the guidance of Shigeru Miyamoto, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games will take players to lifelike Olympic venues where they can choose from a legendary cast of playable characters, including new faces to the series to be revealed later this year. Following the phenomenal worldwide popularity of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, which has sold over 10 million copies worldwide, this fresh gaming experience will feature completely new Olympic Winter Games events from the official competition schedule including Alpine Skiing and Speed Skating with more events announced throughout the year.

Tailored to the specific system controls, Nintendo DS and Wii gamers will enjoy completely unique experiences thanks to each platform having its own specific gameplay features and modes. Players of all skill levels will enjoy the intuitive controls of both the Wii and Nintendo DS systems, in both single and multiplayer gaming modes. The Wii game will offer an even richer multiplayer experience offering co-op and competitive gameplay where the Nintendo DS brings an intense competitive element using the Nintendo DS wireless capabilities. Additionally, one of the new features to be found in Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games is the inclusion of the Wii Balance Board™ which can be used in some events featured in the Wii version, allowing for a more interactive and realistic gaming experience.

Published by SEGA® across Europe and North America, and published by Nintendo in the Japanese market, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games is again licensed through a worldwide partnership with International Sports Multimedia (ISM), the exclusive interactive entertainment software licensee of the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

“We are extremely happy to again team up with Nintendo and ISM on what promises to be another global success.” says Naoya Tsurumi, CEO, SEGA of America and SEGA Europe. “Sonic will partner with Mario once more beneath the spotlight of the legendary Olympic Games. Together they will face new athletic challenges that will provide gamers with more of the exciting experiences unique to this series.”

”SEGA has been a valued publishing partner of Nintendo for many years and Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games is the ultimate representation of that relationship,” said Reggie Fils-Aime, president and COO, Nintendo of America. “We look for this game to continue the tradition its predecessor started by bringing new events, new characters, and new gameplay experiences to fans worldwide.”

“To once again have Mario and Sonic and friends compete in Olympic sports and events in a winter setting is tremendously exciting for the Olympic Movement and the millions of gamers worldwide who enjoyed the characters’ previous match up”, says Raymond Goldsmith, Chairman & CEO of ISM.

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games will be in stores late 2009. For more information about the game, please visit www.sega.com or www.olympicvideogames.com. For any assets, please visit the SEGA FTP site at http://segapr.segaamerica.com.

Website

I'd be lying If I said that I'm surprised, but I enjoyed the first one enough to be looking forward to this.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Klavier Gavin

• RPM Soldier
  • Einspruch!
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 07:23:55 PM
Welcome to a couple of hours ago. 8D

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 07:24:28 PM
Well, I didn't see a thread for this >_>

Offline Klavier Gavin

• RPM Soldier
  • Einspruch!
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 07:27:59 PM
Well, I didn't see a thread for this >_>

Meh. Besides, How long have people known about this already? A month, right?

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 07:47:05 PM
Just coming by to say 20 million copies sold confirmed. XD

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 10:49:21 PM
the Summer one was lame, so i imagine this'll be just as lame.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 10:50:16 PM
This will also be cool.

LOL GET IT HURRR HURRR?

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 10:51:06 PM
*throws tomatoes*

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 10:59:09 PM
the Summer one was lame, so i imagine this'll be just as lame.

I found it fun, and with the balance board this one could be much better.

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 11:01:17 PM
i feel like i've stepped into a timewarp leading into the 90's.. again.

Offline borockman

• Super avatar painter in training
  • Legendary Hero
  • DONALD ANGRY! DONALD SMASH!!
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 11:04:50 PM
The only Olympic games I've ever played is the 1992 Barcelona one.  8D

Oh man that was hard, especially if you didn't understand english.

Proud member of Indigo tribe!

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 11:13:42 PM
i feel like i've stepped into a timewarp leading into the 90's.. again.

I've gotta say thinking about it now, this is true. XD

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 05:51:50 AM
Winter Olympics are better than Summer Olympics. 

Offline Rad Lionheart

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 05:59:11 AM
Another game? I've only played the first a few times, but I was enjoy a few of the games. =o

Offline Luke

• Webhead
  • Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 11:29:04 AM
Hm... I enjoyed the first one, especially with Friends (I mean, come on, I could finally kick Mario's Butt with Sonic, do you know how long I've been waiting for this?  :V).

But I'm not sure if I'm willing to pay another 60 Bucks for this one.

Just gotta wait till it gets a pricedrop, I guess...

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: February 14, 2009, 07:55:21 PM
Last I checked, Wii games usually went for $50... unless you're in another region. Also, beating up Mario was better in Brawl, due to Super Sonic tackling.

Largely, I'm keeping an eye on this one. If they can strike a good balance between normal events and dream events... or just make the whole thing dream events (which would be a much better move, IMO), this game should be much better than its original.

Offline Luke

• Webhead
  • Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: February 14, 2009, 08:39:28 PM
Here in Germany, new Wii Games cost around 50 - 60 €, it depends on where you buy it. Also, I agree with you, that you could better beat up Mario in Brawl but since Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games came out first, it was the first Oppurtinity to kick Mario's butt with the blue blur  :D

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #17 on: February 14, 2009, 08:42:20 PM
or just make the whole thing dream events (which would be a much better move, IMO)
Damn straight.  M&S need more Dream events.

Of course, it's hard to say no to anything that has Yoshi, Daisy, and Tails in the same game...

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline STM

• Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: February 14, 2009, 08:55:00 PM
In a perfect world, the snowboarding in this game would be similar to how Snowboard Kids and Snowboard Kids 2 handled it, only probably a little faster (Snowboard Kids levels... more so in 2... tend to be a bit on the long side, though you're so busy trying not to be killed by the computer and performing awesome tricks that it doesn't feel too long.)

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: February 15, 2009, 01:19:26 AM
In a perfect world...

In a perfect world, they'd make a Mario & Sonic at the Space Olympics, and they would play this song at the beginning!

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: February 15, 2009, 06:13:53 AM
Okay, okay, one more Olympics game for the winter sports.

But then that's it.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: February 15, 2009, 07:16:25 AM
why dont they just do a Sonic vs mario thing? like, some kind of universe collision thing? after all, theres no way theyre gonna be working together, (though its not impossible)

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline STM

• Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: February 15, 2009, 11:18:36 AM
Mario vs. Sonic Stadium is the natural successor to this... tennis, baseball, football etc.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: February 16, 2009, 05:38:15 AM
Why doesn't Nintendo just buy Sonic?

Seriously.

Offline STM

• Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: February 16, 2009, 12:10:27 PM
Sega's not done milking the brand for all its worth. With the losses Sega-Sammy Holdings just took, they're going to up their milking efforts.