New Capcom game to be showcased at Comic-Con

HokutoNoBen · 27313

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #125 on: July 13, 2010, 05:44:15 PM
Since they spoiled their chances last time with that SRPG, I'm hoping they wise up and let us beat the [parasitic bomb] out of each other.

It was a very good SRPG though ^^

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #126 on: July 13, 2010, 05:48:02 PM
Yea, I really liked Namco x Capcom, specially half-way where I got to slice things with Strider. And KOS-MOS was powerful too. ^^;

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #127 on: July 13, 2010, 05:58:40 PM
Yea, I really liked Namco x Capcom, specially half-way where I got to slice things with Strider. And KOS-MOS was powerful too. ^^;
Namco X Capcom was good, but I really couldn't play it in its heyday. Just when the translation patch came out, and I already stopped caring about it as much. =P

And if they're going all-out, they should put something like a Ridge Racer car. To one-up the Daytona car in Fighters Megamix. =P

Offline CephiYumi

• RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #128 on: July 13, 2010, 06:02:15 PM

IIRC, KOS-MOS in my game was almost unstoppable >w<  Gil was a very good "tank" too ^^

Offline Black Mage J

• Sucking on fingers.
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #129 on: July 13, 2010, 06:04:22 PM
I would like to play that sometime. Man would I like to play that.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #130 on: July 13, 2010, 06:22:08 PM
I would like to play that sometime. Man would I like to play that.
Download it and use the patch.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #131 on: July 13, 2010, 06:33:56 PM
Namco X Capcom was good, but I really couldn't play it in its heyday. Just when the translation patch came out, and I already stopped caring about it as much. =P

And if they're going all-out, they should put something like a Ridge Racer car. To one-up the Daytona car in Fighters Megamix. =P

Yes, a Mario-Kart-ish stage would suffice. Having cars ram Ryu (or even Morrigan or some other female bi-atch with enough popularity to compare her to peach) would be entertaining.

For me.. I'd like to see suprise entries. KOSMOS, Sheena Fujiasbi, and the like sound pretty predictable. SUPRISE MEE (Yes, Snake was a nice suprise in brawl, I'd like to see some suprises in this game)!! :P

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline CephiYumi

• RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #132 on: July 13, 2010, 06:40:14 PM
(or even Morrigan or some other female bi-atch with enough popularity to compare her to peach)
...what? ^^;

For me.. I'd like to see suprise entries. KOSMOS, Sheena Fujiasbi, and the like sound pretty predictable. SUPRISE MEE (Yes, Snake was a nice suprise in brawl, I'd like to see some suprises in this game)!! :P
As much as I luff KOS-MOS, I wouldn't consider her all that surprising seeing as see appears in LOTS of namco games ^^;

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #133 on: July 13, 2010, 06:43:30 PM
...what? ^^;
As much as I luff KOS-MOS, I wouldn't consider her all that surprising seeing as see appears in LOTS of namco games ^^;

I've been stalking at TSR's underworld that is spamhaul, which explains much.

And yes that's true, with that many appearances makes her feel like the company mascot of RPGs.

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

Offline GP Aznable

• King of the hill
  • A-Class Hunter
  • I'm the REAL Woodman, foo!
    • View Profile
Reply #134 on: July 13, 2010, 06:46:22 PM
Before we hope for characters in the "fighting" Namco vs Capcom, let them finished their casts MvC3 completely first.

Now you guys mention it, I would like to see KOS-MOS X-Busting Rockman X. Reiji&Shaomu could make a great character and moves, see OG Saga Exceed for example.

Eat, or be eaten...

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #135 on: July 13, 2010, 06:48:34 PM
Now you guys mention it, I would like to see KOS-MOS X-Busting Rockman X.

Doesn't anyone remember that scuffle in Card Sagas? But that's highly unlikely. X's busy doing shiz in Korea right now, so I don't think he has the time to fight some other android.

Offline CephiYumi

• RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #136 on: July 13, 2010, 06:51:35 PM
Reiji&Shaomu could make a great character and moves, see OG Saga Exceed for example.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they appeared in it either because of that other series they keep appearing in x3  (also with KOS-MOS)

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #137 on: July 13, 2010, 07:03:35 PM
You're talking about a straight crossover between characters to be a 100% solid fighter with optimal, straight-from-the-original-games movesets, in order to be a kind of ultimate fighting game starring every single character from main arcade fighting franchises, perfect for tournaments and the like.

...I say screw that. 8D Bring on incredibly broken rosters and funny crap happening all over.

Again though, what's the point, if MvC3 looks to be doing JUST THAT, already? You can make a much better case for not "over-saturating" the market, when you at least release significantly different products! 8D

You're getting Deadpool hitting people with lifebars. You're getting Ryu AIMING his Shinkuu Hadouken. You're getting Dante being "This Party is gettin' CRAY-ZAY!"...all in another fighting game that looks to be able to tickle the mainstream and core alike. That's perfectly fine, it's its own product that has to cater to fighting game fans, comic book fans and casual fans who just want to mash and see bright n pretty colors. In that light, it's doing the work that its direct predecessor did.

Namco vs. Capcom, however, could stand to be (or rather, SHOULD be) the "Capcom vs. SNK 2" of this millennium. The cross-over game for the designated fighting game fans. Just like the 90s were the stage for Capcom and SNK, the 00s were definitely more of a Namco/Capcom party. And now we stand to have a game that pays tribute to that highly spirited rivalry that vied for quarters/yen in arcades during that era.

Obviously, since Namco doesn't have the catalog of fighters that Capcom does, they're going to have to fill in the blanks with possibilities like Tales of, Valkryie (just have her fight like Cassandra, the joke's already done!), Bravoman, Xenosaga, The Genji and the Heike Clans, a random from Time Crisis and etc. But for the most part, like CvS before it, this Vs. game should predominantly be much more "serious" in tone than its Marvel counter-part. Not only for the sake of variety, but for the sake of us fighting game fans who would appreciate something of that sort.  

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they appeared in it either because of that other series they keep appearing in x3  (also with KOS-MOS)

No thanks. Keep "original characters" who have no real historical relevance to what's at hand, out of a game like this. 8D

Offline CephiYumi

• RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #138 on: July 13, 2010, 07:07:17 PM
I haven't played them yet, but I'm glad Reiji and Xiaomu still have a place somewhere at least.  As I've said recently somewhere, it's the closest thing to a sequel they'll get ^^;

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #139 on: July 13, 2010, 07:10:39 PM
Again though, what's the point, if MvC3 looks to be doing JUST THAT, already? You can make a much better case for not "over-saturating" the market, when you at least release significantly different products! 8D

You're getting Deadpool hitting people with lifebars. You're getting Ryu AIMING his Shinkuu Hadouken. You're getting Dante being "This Party is gettin' CRAY-ZAY!"...all in another fighting game that looks to be able to tickle the mainstream and core alike. That's perfectly fine, it's its own product that has to cater to fighting game fans, comic book fans and casual fans who just want to mash and see bright n pretty colors. In that light, it's doing the work that its direct predecessor did.

Namco vs. Capcom, however, could stand to be (or rather, SHOULD be) the "Capcom vs. SNK 2" of this millennium. The cross-over game for the designated fighting game fans. Just like the 90s were the stage for Capcom and SNK, the 00s were definitely more of a Namco/Capcom party. And now we stand to have a game that pays tribute to that highly spirited rivalry that vied for quarters/yen in arcades during that era.

Obviously, since Namco doesn't have the catalog of fighters that Capcom does, they're going to have to fill in the blanks with possibilities like Tales of, Valkryie (just have her fight like Cassandra, the joke's already done!), Bravoman, Xenosaga, The Genji and the Heike Clans, a random from Time Crisis and etc. But for the most part, like CvS before it, this Vs. game should predominantly be much more "serious" in tone than its Marvel counter-part. Not only for the sake of variety, but for the sake of us fighting game fans who would appreciate something of that sort.  

No thanks. Keep "original characters" who have no real historical relevance to what's at hand, out of a game like this. 8D

That makes sense. What also does, is that Capcom's been developing quite alot of fighting games recently. SF4, Tatsu, and now MvsC3. It makes sense that they would do something like this, absolutely. But I don't think they'll make another big-name fighting game before they finish MvsC3. There's alot of currently unhappy fans of other genres who they still need to appease, and Capcom isn't the kind of company to leave people hanging for so long in this way. Sure, such a game will come by eventually. But they should also turn their eyes toward other stuff. And seeing as this is a Comic-con revealed game, as I said earlier, it's gonna be a western audience-appeasing game. And I don't see a straight "fighting game for professional fighting game fans only" doing that.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #140 on: July 13, 2010, 08:56:41 PM
That makes sense. What also does, is that Capcom's been developing quite alot of fighting games recently. SF4, Tatsu, and now MvsC3. It makes sense that they would do something like this, absolutely. But I don't think they'll make another big-name fighting game before they finish MvsC3.

It wouldn't be the first time, certainly. MvC2 and CvS came out literally MONTHS apart from one another in the year 2000. And then CvS2 came almost immediately the following year. 8D

There's alot of currently unhappy fans of other genres who they still need to appease, and Capcom isn't the kind of company to leave people hanging for so long in this way. Sure, such a game will come by eventually. But they should also turn their eyes toward other stuff. And seeing as this is a Comic-con revealed game, as I said earlier, it's gonna be a western audience-appeasing game. And I don't see a straight "fighting game for professional fighting game fans only" doing that.

Capcom will turn their eyes towards other stuff, perhaps when there really is a pressing need that showcases that it needs to be addressed. But as it stands right now, SF4's mainstream and hardcore success has only given Capcom open license to ride this "fighting game revival!" gravy train for as long as it lasts. And hell, Namco could stand to have a nice diversion to help wash away the memory of the commercial flop that Tekken 6 ended up being, while they plan for anything ranging from Tekken 7 and/or SC5 on their own end.

In other words...while the iron's hot, there's no reason for Capcom to not continue to RUSH DAT [parasitic bomb] DOWN.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #141 on: July 13, 2010, 10:47:17 PM
I hear that. I'm completely in favor of this fighter revival.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #142 on: July 14, 2010, 05:01:37 PM
I hear that. I'm completely in favor of this fighter revival.
Me too, but if they milk the cow too much, they must be vary of bad results. There's a reason the fighting genre "died".

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #143 on: July 14, 2010, 07:14:14 PM
Me too, but if they milk the cow too much, they must be vary of bad results. There's a reason the fighting genre "died".

There's not really any one answer to why the FG had an implosion, but rather a number of different factors that eventually all worked together to that end. But on Capcom's part, it probably had to do more with how they didn't diversify from SF soon enough, while they had the chance. By the time Capcom actually DID offer some new things in the form of Darkstalkers, Marvel, Cyberbots and the like, competition in the form of SNK, Midway, Namco, ASW and Sega had already done enough to fill the market with some new flavors to consumers who wanted more beyond "Moar SF". Some thing had to give, and that's perhaps why the likes of Capcom's own Darkstalkers and the first-run of SFIII:3S did more to suffer in a market where Capcom wasn't the uncontested top dog any more.

So, that's why I'm thankful that, thus far, signs point that this upcoming game will NOT be SF5. SF4 was able to set Capcom up, once again, as a leader in the genre, if not "the". But from there, it's completely on them to showcase that they won't make the same mistake twice. If they can at least operate on the standpoint of having SF, MvC and this new franchise as the three "main" fighting franchises for the next few years, they'll stand to have 3 different flavors that cover as many different bases as possible, without over-extending themselves.

EDIT:

Yet another picture teased from Ono's twitter. Judging by this, it seems safe to presume that the trailer Ono wants to present at his panel has to relate to the upcoming SSF4 arcade release. But what about that picture peek out from the bottom with the brown hair sticking up. That definitely ain't no Tekken character hair. In fact, it definitely looks more like the do of a certain, very familiar bloodsucker...  *o*

Gyat dammit, Ono! He's gonna keep us guessing until next weekend! 8D

Of course, on the other hand, maybe that gives rise to the notion that the Namco v Capcom thing could be Namco's undertaking...

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #144 on: July 15, 2010, 03:10:55 AM
There's not really any one answer to why the FG had an implosion, but rather a number of different factors that eventually all worked together to that end. But on Capcom's part, it probably had to do more with how they didn't diversify from SF soon enough, while they had the chance. By the time Capcom actually DID offer some new things in the form of Darkstalkers, Marvel, Cyberbots and the like, competition in the form of SNK, Midway, Namco, ASW and Sega had already done enough to fill the market with some new flavors to consumers who wanted more beyond "Moar SF". Some thing had to give, and that's perhaps why the likes of Capcom's own Darkstalkers and the first-run of SFIII:3S did more to suffer in a market where Capcom wasn't the uncontested top dog any more.

So, that's why I'm thankful that, thus far, signs point that this upcoming game will NOT be SF5. SF4 was able to set Capcom up, once again, as a leader in the genre, if not "the". But from there, it's completely on them to showcase that they won't make the same mistake twice. If they can at least operate on the standpoint of having SF, MvC and this new franchise as the three "main" fighting franchises for the next few years, they'll stand to have 3 different flavors that cover as many different bases as possible, without over-extending themselves.

EDIT:

Yet another picture teased from Ono's twitter. Judging by this, it seems safe to presume that the trailer Ono wants to present at his panel has to relate to the upcoming SSF4 arcade release. But what about that picture peek out from the bottom with the brown hair sticking up. That definitely ain't no Tekken character hair. In fact, it definitely looks more like the do of a certain, very familiar bloodsucker...  *o*

Gyat dammit, Ono! He's gonna keep us guessing until next weekend! 8D

Of course, on the other hand, maybe that gives rise to the notion that the Namco v Capcom thing could be Namco's undertaking...
They already said they wouldn't do something like SF5 so soon, or even in this generation. But in my opinion, the fighting genre died simply because it was overmilked, and it didn't appeal to everyone anymore. Just to the usual fans. They started coming out with some crazy crap, but stopped evolving in general. Nowadays, I see few fighting games with actual tutorials and stuff to help newcomers get used to their systems. I don't see alot of stuff to get rid of the stupid elitism fighting games have. And that kind of bothers me. I know you think fighting games are better off restricted to a closed environment, so they won't be ruined with simplicity or just plain craziness. That's good, but they should really try to evolve the genre a bit, so they don't eventually go over their heads in this. Too much fighting and not enough audience are enough to kill a genre all over again.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #145 on: July 15, 2010, 05:48:44 AM
But in my opinion, the fighting genre died simply because it was overmilked, and it didn't appeal to everyone anymore. Just to the usual fans. They started coming out with some crazy crap, but stopped evolving in general.  Nowadays, I see few fighting games with actual tutorials and stuff to help newcomers get used to their systems. I don't see alot of stuff to get rid of the stupid elitism fighting games have. And that kind of bothers me. I know you think fighting games are better off restricted to a closed environment, so they won't be ruined with simplicity or just plain craziness. That's good, but they should really try to evolve the genre a bit, so they don't eventually go over their heads in this. Too much fighting and not enough audience are enough to kill a genre all over again.

But again, how does one go about "evolving"? And perhaps for an even more thought-provoking question: why should it be forced to "evolve"? Especially in light of how the likes of some genres and its subscribers (re: Dragon Quest and Pokemon) haven't done that much in the way of evolution in the decades since they've been introduced? I mean, from my standpoint, I wouldn't mind games like Pokemon making a bit in the way of dynamic progression. But seeing how I feel about the Fighting Game genre as a whole, I can certainly respect and understand the opinions of those who would rather not see the basic game change that much. Same can be said for fans for a number of other genres, like those who profess to love Koei's Musou games and Zelda.

Again, to me, the only "issue" is that the game's meta-game is not laid out in-game for prospective newbies to learn almost immediately, in the "Trophy/Achievement" parlance that today's generation likely relates to the most. The best, if not arguably only way to do that is to actually seek out places like SRK, Dust Loop and etc., where the actual information (in the form of in-depth write-ups and etc.) lies. Sure, it may not be the most "immediate" way, but the information is there, and readily available in just a manner of a few clicks. It's only a thing that you, the prospective player, actually has to have the initiative to seek it out. Compared to when guys like me were growing up, where insider tips and tricks had to be gleaned from strategy guides, word of mouth and actually heading down to arcades in order to learn something from other players, the current generation has it made. All that you need to stay in (and keep up with) the game is laid out on a silver platter, waiting to be consumed.

At its core, fighting games still live and die by the virtue of what it is supposed to foster: a "community", where you get better through the effective 2-n-1 combo of learning the game on your own, developing your overall "playstyle", as well as through the community itself, which helps you to refine skills. No "in-game tutorial" nor objective based game play model is ever going to be able to match up with the kind of never-ending "teaching ability" that a community offers. Even a decidedly more "casual game" like Smash emphasizes that much; after all, it's not Nintendo's "job" to teach you advanced techniques that go beyond their scope.

And on that note, I pose this: if anything, I think it's just a thing that the PEOPLE need to evolve, not the games. Newbies need to realize that the tools are all there, and just need to get off their lazy duffs and be willing to accept the idea of that they need put in some work in-game and out to get good. Meanwhile, more of us among the "Old Guard" need to do more to drop the Pharisee-like attitude and be willing to teach those who are willing to learn, instead of shunning them. These kinds of things would be that which would keep a scene healthy. And after SF4 gave quite the injection of "new blood", it's my hope that a new generation of hopefuls will only serve to make things better. But it will only work out if the community itself is willing to make it such.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #146 on: July 15, 2010, 06:13:48 AM
...So how about that announcement?

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #147 on: July 15, 2010, 12:58:25 PM
When is/was it?

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #148 on: July 15, 2010, 01:26:19 PM
Comic Con didn't start yet, did it?

http://www.comic-con.org/

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #149 on: July 15, 2010, 05:17:20 PM
But again, how does one go about "evolving"? And perhaps for an even more thought-provoking question: why should it be forced to "evolve"? Especially in light of how the likes of some genres and its subscribers (re: Dragon Quest and Pokemon) haven't done that much in the way of evolution in the decades since they've been introduced? I mean, from my standpoint, I wouldn't mind games like Pokemon making a bit in the way of dynamic progression. But seeing how I feel about the Fighting Game genre as a whole, I can certainly respect and understand the opinions of those who would rather not see the basic game change that much. Same can be said for fans for a number of other genres, like those who profess to love Koei's Musou games and Zelda.

Again, to me, the only "issue" is that the game's meta-game is not laid out in-game for prospective newbies to learn almost immediately, in the "Trophy/Achievement" parlance that today's generation likely relates to the most. The best, if not arguably only way to do that is to actually seek out places like SRK, Dust Loop and etc., where the actual information (in the form of in-depth write-ups and etc.) lies. Sure, it may not be the most "immediate" way, but the information is there, and readily available in just a manner of a few clicks. It's only a thing that you, the prospective player, actually has to have the initiative to seek it out. Compared to when guys like me were growing up, where insider tips and tricks had to be gleaned from strategy guides, word of mouth and actually heading down to arcades in order to learn something from other players, the current generation has it made. All that you need to stay in (and keep up with) the game is laid out on a silver platter, waiting to be consumed.

At its core, fighting games still live and die by the virtue of what it is supposed to foster: a "community", where you get better through the effective 2-n-1 combo of learning the game on your own, developing your overall "playstyle", as well as through the community itself, which helps you to refine skills. No "in-game tutorial" nor objective based game play model is ever going to be able to match up with the kind of never-ending "teaching ability" that a community offers. Even a decidedly more "casual game" like Smash emphasizes that much; after all, it's not Nintendo's "job" to teach you advanced techniques that go beyond their scope.

And on that note, I pose this: if anything, I think it's just a thing that the PEOPLE need to evolve, not the games. Newbies need to realize that the tools are all there, and just need to get off their lazy duffs and be willing to accept the idea of that they need put in some work in-game and out to get good. Meanwhile, more of us among the "Old Guard" need to do more to drop the Pharisee-like attitude and be willing to teach those who are willing to learn, instead of shunning them. These kinds of things would be that which would keep a scene healthy. And after SF4 gave quite the injection of "new blood", it's my hope that a new generation of hopefuls will only serve to make things better. But it will only work out if the community itself is willing to make it such.
Number one, people are lazy, and always will be.
Number two, for someone to actually have enough interest to go into the net and actively search strategies and train them out, they need some serious motivation and interest. At the moment, they have NONE.
And three, and most important, you say that people actively have to play and check out their own playstyle, because no tutorial will ever be good enough for anyone to learn how to play. I say no tutorial will ever teach anyone to be professional, but it doesn't help that most fighting games have NO tutorial at all. Motivation and evolution are necessary. And both franchises you mentioned are in need of evolution themselves, because they still appeal to the same old crowd instead of branching out. Everything needs to evolve sooner or later. The question is: Will fans help the evolution, or will they be stubborn enough to make sure the evolution makes fighting games STOP being fighting games at all?