Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #100 on: July 12, 2010, 07:01:44 AM
Yeah, glad that was cleared up. ;D

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #101 on: July 12, 2010, 07:09:57 AM
Next time though, if you don't fully know details about something, then perhaps don't post about the subject you don't know about.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #102 on: July 12, 2010, 07:19:17 AM
Nice points. So basically, it was the fact that back then, there had been an awesome show, where the franchise was at its best, and then an oversaturation of the genre with space soap operas which just tended to keep on going. So, as the last show, and not only breaking continuity a bit, but on a different place chronologically, it's a show where fans decided that it wasn't worth the effort, huh? I can understand it. But watching it now, it really does seem to be worth it. And from what I've heard of its reputation, Season 2 gets really good, and a bit more actiony. Not to mention it's got a few quite entertaining characters, like Phlox. Still, I'll keep on watching. I think it's aged well, and it's pretty good Trek.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #103 on: July 12, 2010, 07:36:27 AM
Nice points. So basically, it was the fact that back then, there had been an awesome show, where the franchise was at its best, and then an oversaturation of the genre with space soap operas which just tended to keep on going. So, as the last show, and not only breaking continuity a bit, but on a different place chronologically, it's a show where fans decided that it wasn't worth the effort, huh? I can understand it. But watching it now, it really does seem to be worth it. And from what I've heard of its reputation, Season 2 gets really good, and a bit more actiony. Not to mention it's got a few quite entertaining characters, like Phlox. Still, I'll keep on watching. I think it's aged well, and it's pretty good Trek.

Phlox was probably one of the more interesting characters on the show.  Heh, I always wondered if he was an early race of Cardassian, since he kinda looks like one.  Also, the idea of an alien doctor made sense since this was the first true starship voyage.  Plus it was nice to have a communications officer once again, as by the 24th Century, tactical pretty much handled that.  Yoshi was also kinda cute too. (I love her in the Mirror Universe episode).

Honestly though, it's good to hear that Enterprise got somewhat better.  The potential, like with Voyager, was always there.  The real problem with Star Trek now is where do you go from here?  I 100% love the movie, but it's using established characters, re-establishing them, and sadly they can only be used for movies, because there's no way you can get that cast, lemme rephrase, that BRILLIANT cast again for a TV series.  If they did, it'd possibly be one of the greatest shows on TV.  But it's not going to happen. 

So in terms of a new series, the only real place to go is back to the 24th Century or further.  The Alpha Quadrant would be interesting now that Romulus is destroyed, not to mention the Cardassian Empire in ruins after the Dominion War (even though Romulus' destruction comes some years after DS9's ending).  Personally, I always thought an entertaining Star Trek series would be one that took place in the Mirror Universe, in which it shows humanity trying to reclaim & rebuild it's empire.  The one awesome theory brought up by First Contact is that it was the Enterprise E traveling back in time to the time of First Contact that split the two universes in the first place.  The theory is that the Mirror Universe is actually the true universe, and that it was that incident in First Contact which created the universe we know and love.  Nothing proven or anything, but still, I think it's "fascinating."

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #104 on: July 12, 2010, 07:53:25 AM
You can't forget the lack of Borg.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #105 on: July 12, 2010, 08:47:13 AM
Actually, after First Contact.....or maybe even the TNG episode Decent, the Borg got overused and kinda whored out.  Especially in Voyager.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #106 on: July 12, 2010, 08:48:07 AM
Well they're dead now. So does it matter?

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #107 on: July 12, 2010, 08:48:58 AM
How are they dead?

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #108 on: July 12, 2010, 08:55:45 AM
Wasn't the cube destroyed at the end of Voyager?

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #109 on: July 12, 2010, 09:18:36 AM
If I remember correctly, it was just a huge subspace gateway station. I don't think it was the whole of the Borg.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #110 on: July 12, 2010, 09:35:51 AM
Just checked a Star Trek wiki...

And you're right. My bad. Eh, oh well.
...a crippling blow was delivered to the Borg when Voyager discovered one of their transwarp hubs and destroyed it...

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #111 on: July 12, 2010, 11:08:36 AM
I watched Voyager much longer than I should have, really. I really liked the concept, and I guess I really hoped it would pan through. Unfortunately, that didn't quite happen. There was moments where it's potential shone through, but it never quite lasted. I still have to go watch later on in DS9, since I had given up on it when it was still in Soap Opera mode.

As far as the topic at hand, I'm looking forward to see what they show. Not getting my hopes up for anything, mind you, since I know better than to do that :P

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #112 on: July 12, 2010, 02:04:23 PM
You can't forget the lack of Borg.
There's a lack of Borg in TOS, too. =P Doesn't make it bad.

Offline Alice in Entropy

• Genderifically Confuzzled
  • Master's Unit
  • MAKE LOVE FOR MY KITTENS
    • View Profile
Reply #113 on: July 12, 2010, 03:40:33 PM
On the thread's original subject, I would love a new Capcom vs. SNK. Pretty sure someone already said that. Still, yum, yum, yum~

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #114 on: July 12, 2010, 08:26:19 PM
I watched Voyager much longer than I should have, really. I really liked the concept, and I guess I really hoped it would pan through. Unfortunately, that didn't quite happen. There was moments where it's potential shone through, but it never quite lasted. I still have to go watch later on in DS9, since I had given up on it when it was still in Soap Opera mode.

And that's the real tragedy of Voyager.  It was SUCH a great idea.  Unlike any other Star Trek series, it had the potential for true, new exploration, as well as suspense.  Where they are, there's no Federation, nor a Starbase where they could go for repairs after a battle.  There's only the unknown, mystery, needing to barter and needing help along the way, and the long journey home with two separate crews having to overcome previous differences to work together.  It was a FANTASTIC idea, undermined by poor writing, boring stories, and quite frankly, somewhat boring characters.  Although, I don't know if they were boring, or just badly written.  I'll go with badly written.

But yeah, go watch later DS9, around the time they bring Worf on.  It's some of the best Trek ever.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #115 on: July 12, 2010, 10:06:26 PM
Whatever the Capcom game turns out to be, as long as it's not Image vs Capcom, I'm good.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #116 on: July 13, 2010, 08:57:38 AM
Hmmmmm....!

"A little birdie tells us Namco vs Capcom will be announced next Saturday. It's Namco, so it will certainly be in arcades."
- http://twitter.com/arcadeufo

Source sounds pretty plausible, as this is a rather famous arcade in Texas. Among other things, it's the only Arcade in the Continental US which has Gundam vs. Gundam NEXT.

How very interesting...as long as it's not "Tekken v SF", I guess I can't be too mad (despite my real want). Oh, and as long as they diversify themselves beyond the rather tepid "Ryu, Chun-li and Morrigan" combo. They're all already going to be in MvC3 as it is, let some other guys and girls get a chance to shine (especially if Ryu has to be in there any way). Akira from Rival Schools and Jon Talbain from Darkstalkers have been long overdue for reappearing in ANYTHING, for example... 

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #117 on: July 13, 2010, 09:08:16 AM
Very interesting indeed.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #118 on: July 13, 2010, 01:29:23 PM
Hmmmmm....!
- http://twitter.com/arcadeufo

Source sounds pretty plausible, as this is a rather famous arcade in Texas. Among other things, it's the only Arcade in the Continental US which has Gundam vs. Gundam NEXT.

How very interesting...as long as it's not "Tekken v SF", I guess I can't be too mad (despite my real want). Oh, and as long as they diversify themselves beyond the rather tepid "Ryu, Chun-li and Morrigan" combo. They're all already going to be in MvC3 as it is, let some other guys and girls get a chance to shine (especially if Ryu has to be in there any way). Akira from Rival Schools and Jon Talbain from Darkstalkers have been long overdue for reappearing in ANYTHING, for example... 
Since they spoiled their chances last time with that SRPG, I'm hoping they wise up and let us beat the [parasitic bomb] out of each other.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #119 on: July 13, 2010, 03:17:20 PM
A proper Namco VS Capcom would be better than Tekken VS SF. I'm sure it'll have Ryu, Chun Li and Morrigan, it's become like some sort of rule that the 3 of them have to be in every VS Capcom game. More importantly though I wonder what they'll do with the gameplay, would be cool if they did like with the SNK vs Capcom series and both companies get to make a game each (lets conveniently forget SvC:Chaos and just consider the NGPC VS game and the cardfighter series for SNK's side if you want), Capcom does a 2D fighter and Namco does a 3D one some time later. I think it could be interesting that way.

Also, yes, Talbain really needs to get some attention, I say we need more werewolves.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #120 on: July 13, 2010, 03:34:26 PM
A proper Namco VS Capcom would be better than Tekken VS SF. I'm sure it'll have Ryu, Chun Li and Morrigan, it's become like some sort of rule that the 3 of them have to be in every VS Capcom game. More importantly though I wonder what they'll do with the gameplay, would be cool if they did like with the SNK vs Capcom series and both companies get to make a game each (lets conveniently forget SvC:Chaos and just consider the NGPC VS game and the cardfighter series for SNK's side if you want), Capcom does a 2D fighter and Namco does a 3D one some time later. I think it could be interesting that way.

Also, yes, Talbain really needs to get some attention, I say we need more werewolves.
All as long as I can get my cast of characters in it.

And that means Klonoa, Pac-Man, Yoshimitsu, Presea and Maxi as available characters.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #121 on: July 13, 2010, 05:13:23 PM
All as long as I can get my cast of characters in it.

And that means Klonoa, Pac-Man, Yoshimitsu, Presea and Maxi as available characters.

Your last round of characters is fine, but if this is going to be a more "serious/traditional" fighting game? Then, really, I don't need to see too many "silly characters" like Klonoa, Pac-Man, Frank West or even Rockman. That's what the "Marvel" style games are for. For this to be a clash between the two companies who are both known for their arcade fighting games, and their nigh-legendary competition in the arcade arena, I'd rather such a x-over game do more to focus on that. Just like the SNK and Capcom fighters did as such a decade ago.

So, in essence: Street Fighter. Tekken. Rival Schools. Soul Calibur. Darkstalkers. Tales of... (close enough, the series has been citing FGs since its inception). Stick with those series that do the most to lend themselves to a traditional fighting game setting first. Then, if there's room, maybe add in a special "WTF?!?" addition per side like X or Pac-Man. 

Offline Alice in Entropy

• Genderifically Confuzzled
  • Master's Unit
  • MAKE LOVE FOR MY KITTENS
    • View Profile
Reply #122 on: July 13, 2010, 05:26:58 PM
/happyface

This news pleases me!

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #123 on: July 13, 2010, 05:28:47 PM
Your last round of characters is fine, but if this is going to be a more "serious/traditional" fighting game? Then, really, I don't need to see too many "silly characters" like Klonoa, Pac-Man, Frank West or even Rockman. That's what the "Marvel" style games are for. For this to be a clash between the two companies who are both known for their arcade fighting games, and their nigh-legendary competition in the arcade arena, I'd rather such a x-over game do more to focus on that. Just like the SNK and Capcom fighters did as such a decade ago.

So, in essence: Street Fighter. Tekken. Rival Schools. Soul Calibur. Darkstalkers. Tales of... (close enough, the series has been citing FGs since its inception). Stick with those series that do the most to lend themselves to a traditional fighting game setting first. Then, if there's room, maybe add in a special "WTF?!?" addition per side like X or Pac-Man. 
You're talking about a straight crossover between characters to be a 100% solid fighter with optimal, straight-from-the-original-games movesets, in order to be a kind of ultimate fighting game starring every single character from main arcade fighting franchises, perfect for tournaments and the like.

...I say screw that. 8D Bring on incredibly broken rosters and funny crap happening all over.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #124 on: July 13, 2010, 05:37:29 PM
I'd like to play as Lolo from Klonoa 2. :cookie:

And from "Tales"? Tear Grants, Cheria Barnes, Sheena Fujibayashi, Judith... Presea is good too. <3

From Soul Calibur? Cassandra and Sophitia. C:

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~