Probably Mario Party 9.

But I PRAY FOR A NEW PAPER MARIO JESUS CHRIST

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #126 on: October 19, 2009, 10:06:34 PM
I hope for a new Mario Kart 64 style game every time.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #127 on: October 19, 2009, 10:07:22 PM
Sheesh... the first comment:

omg how can they not get tired of the character? there are tons of other franchises that could bring in way more money. Bring back Starfox, or Kid Icarus.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #128 on: October 19, 2009, 10:08:42 PM
Perhaps this time, Luigi is kidnapped, and Mario & Peach go on an adventure to save him!

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #129 on: October 19, 2009, 10:09:44 PM
Nintendo promised us a Paper Luigi!

And I WANT a Paper Wario!

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #130 on: October 19, 2009, 10:31:01 PM
Mario Is Missing IN 3D!

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #131 on: October 19, 2009, 10:34:50 PM
I certainly wouldn't miss that game.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #132 on: October 19, 2009, 10:36:52 PM
http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=100932

First review, what's the score? 96% :O

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #133 on: October 19, 2009, 10:47:03 PM
Do keep in mind that's from the Official Nintendo Magazine, so it should be taken with a grain of salt.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #134 on: October 19, 2009, 10:56:46 PM
True, but combined with all the great impressions from other sites and people that played it, the game looks damn amazing.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #135 on: October 20, 2009, 03:27:42 AM
I wonder what we have here.

Well, we do know that EAD Tokyo is working on SOMETHING ELSE besides Mario Galaxy 2. Intelligent Systems' Paper Mario team has been pretty quiet too; it's been almost 2 years since SPM (which wasn't "enough" of a Paper Mario game for some people, but I digress).

Then there's the fact that Nintendo renewed their copyright for Mario Museum (Aka All-Stars). Whether it be yet another excuse to repackage that SNES-era collection (plus hopefully more), or something more ambitious (using the NSMB engine to remake all 3-4 games from that collection...?  8D), they'd likely would have a good cause for Martinet to get another paycheck.

Frankly, I see little reason for Mario Party to come back, at this time. Not as long as the Mario & Sonic games are basically doing the same thing, and making money for Nintendo (and Sega) all the same.

But hey, as long as I'm in "wishful thinking" mode? How about a hi-res, sprite-based Yoshi's Island sequel for the Wii HD. A game starring Bowser (and/or his kids, now that they're back in the forefront)? Mario & Sonic...the ACTUAL platformer, courtesy of Tokyo EAD?  8)

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #136 on: October 20, 2009, 04:13:51 AM
Eh, when is there not a new Mario spinoff?  This just means Nintendo isn't resorting to clip re-use for the next time Mario shows his face.

The basic thing is, they wanted to make sure that each player was playing with the same "playstyle", and had a similar model to match. Everybody in the game plays just like Mario. Luigi doesn't have his "floaty" jumps, Toad doesn't run any faster after picking items up, or any other frivolous thing.
There is nothing about Peach's character model that necessitates the return of SMB2 attributes.  Being female and wearing a dress does not break a platformer.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #137 on: October 20, 2009, 04:50:57 AM
There is nothing about Peach's character model that necessitates the return of SMB2 attributes.  Being female and wearing a dress does not break a platformer.

Agreed. But surely you can see that even proposing Peach would just open yet ANOTHER can of worms.

If you have Peach play just like Mario and the others, you'll have people crying foul:

"OMG, SHE DOESN'T HAVE DAT FLOAT! PHAIL!!1111!"

On the other hand, if you bring back "DAT FLOAT":

"OMG, SHE'S BROKEN FOR A GAME LIKE THIS! SHE'S FOR CASUAL GAMERS! LOL!!!"

So literally, there was no way that people were going to be happy if Peach was in the game, one way or the other. Probably the only reason people aren't as quick to belly-ache about Luigi, and the omission of his floatier jumps, is due to the fact that this is supposed to be a "classic" style game, and thus, they're more willing to accept that. Especially since everybody else is a clone of Mario, too.

Peach doesn't have that kind of luxury. Beyond the sports/party games, in practically every appearance she's made, she's had DAT FLOAT. You're not going to be able to have people "divorce" themselves of that concept, as easily as say, Luigi going back to being a clone of Mario.

So, to me, it's just a thing of "it is what it is". Just as much as how now, in this game, you can't take Yoshi with you from level to level. This time, he's localized to that level you got him, and then he dumps your ass after that level is done, no matter if you were good to him or not.  ;O;

It ain't perfect, but again...it is what it is. Still not going to stop me from enjoying probably the most enjoyable Mario game in years, in any case.  :)

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #138 on: October 20, 2009, 05:07:10 AM
After all, Ben....Luigi Blew It.

Regardless, we'll all be a lot happier after this game comes out, and then when they make Super Power Princesses, when Peach & Daisy team up Thelma & Louise style and stick it to the man!

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #139 on: October 20, 2009, 05:59:28 AM
Maybe that's a secret unlockable mode.   8)

And what did Luigi blow?

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #140 on: October 20, 2009, 07:22:14 PM
Pre-order tomorrow. owo

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #141 on: October 20, 2009, 07:55:19 PM
I already did, what's stopping you?

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #142 on: October 20, 2009, 08:17:33 PM
Can't go to the mall today. I'll be waiting a month to play this, what's a day to pre-order!

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #143 on: October 20, 2009, 08:39:56 PM
Ah, not an online shopper then?

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #144 on: October 20, 2009, 08:52:40 PM
Brazil shopper. :\ No pre-ordering online around where I live as far as I know.

I'm lucky to even get a pre-order option! That's only for the really huge games here.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #145 on: October 20, 2009, 11:21:55 PM
I've had mine pre-ordered for a while, now. I also pre-ordered Galaxy 2 and M&L3 that same time.

I'll get my money's worth, but I can just hear those $150 disappearing like Coins out of a Question Block. ;_;

And if it is Mario All-Stars DS, well, that doesn't make up for the VC's, but it helps. Enough to keep me from buying a GBA, anyway. I don't think that's it, though, I mean, they'd just reuse sound clips.

'Crazy fun', I'm betting it's a spinoff.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #146 on: October 21, 2009, 01:02:04 AM
If you have Peach play just like Mario and the others, you'll have people crying foul:

"OMG, SHE DOESN'T HAVE DAT FLOAT! PHAIL!!1111!"
I know for a fact Peach did not hover in Super Paper Mario, she merely slow-falled with her parasol (and since NSMBWii has the propeller suit for aerial stunts, she doesn't need any of her own).  Not sure about Super Princess Peach.  What you have to bear in mind is that in SMB2 there were no power-ups beyond health/being big.  That's WHY it made sense for every character to have their own abilities.  When you've got a mushroom, a dinosaur, two suits, two flowers, and who knows what else available, there's no point.

Somebody ALWAYS bitches about ANYTHING and EVERYTHING.  You cannot honestly tell me that the people who care whether or not Peach hovers are more than negligible.  If every other character is a Mario clone then the fact that she would be could hardly be seen as unusual.

Do not misunderstand me.  I am not arguing for the SMB2 cast minus abilities.  I think that they should have gone well beyond that.  It's reported fact that they already assigned character selection to player preference rather than player number (Player 2 is not automatically Luigi, and so forth), and since this is a "party" platformer, there's no reason they need to limit themselves to four characters.  Much less three plus a clone.  I can think of nine characters off the top of my head without even touching the playable-koopa department.  For that matter I could well understand why they'd want Peach as the damsel in distress and not a player, but "skirt physics" is an obvious cop-out, and it knocks out two other characters besides her.

this is supposed to be a "classic" style game

"Classic style" has nothing to do with it.  They simply wanted all players to handle the same.  It's fair, and it's easier to approach.  I respect that.

you can't take Yoshi with you from level to level.

It ain't perfect, but again...it is what it is. Still not going to stop me from enjoying probably the most enjoyable Mario game in years, in any case.  :)
Well, it's the one non-versus simultaneous game that my wife will probably play, so it won't stop me either.  I'm just saying, they were negligent on a few points.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #147 on: October 21, 2009, 03:15:09 AM
I know for a fact Peach did not hover in Super Paper Mario, she merely slow-falled with her parasol (and since NSMBWii has the propeller suit for aerial stunts, she doesn't need any of her own).  Not sure about Super Princess Peach.  

She did Float in that game (when she was all Joyful). 8D

Somebody ALWAYS bitches about ANYTHING and EVERYTHING.  You cannot honestly tell me that the people who care whether or not Peach hovers are more than negligible.  If every other character is a Mario clone then the fact that she would be could hardly be seen as unusual.

You'd be surprised, is all I'll say. 8D

There are somethings that may come up, where people may be more than willing to look the other way. Zero's Saber Holster in TvC being "wrong" is an example of this. It doesn't really impact all but the most anal of people. Luigi going back to being a clone of Mario is what I would think is yet another example of this.

But then there are the things that could only be described as the stuff that describes anal-retentive to the max. And yet, it can't be ignored, because those who care about such things can actually be QUITE numerous, or at least, proportionate enough so that it can stand to cause significant problems. Case in point, SNK's own KOFXI, and ESPECIALLY KOFXII. For whatever reason, SNK thought that they could some how skate by, and neglect certain things. To say the least, everybody's favorite "bouncy" ninja, Mai Shiranui. Wasn't in the arcade version of XI, and was a complete NO-SHOW in XII, to a lot of people's surprise.

And well, the writing has been on the wall, again, especially when it comes to KOFXII. You can only play with people's expectations but so much, before they'll bite back. And with Nintendo's demographic being as wide, "passionate" and yet, also down-right stubborn (if not outright "spoiled") when it comes to certain things? I think that Nintendo, in the end, probably made the better decision. Better to have no Peach, than to have a Peach that likely would have pissed off a great deal of people in that respect, one way or the other. Especially when it's more or less an established part of her character to have a float/hover mechanic of SOME degree, in every platforming-type game she's appeared in.

http://www.nesmaps.com/images/Titles/SuperMarioBrothers2jTitle.png

"Classic style" has nothing to do with it.

In your example, the one game is one player (much like its "American" counterpart) and was also conducive to having the differing characters play differently. The other games (the original versions of SMB1, 3 and World), were able to support 2 player, and had Mario and Luigi play exactly the same.

That, was what I was intending, when I was referring to the classic style. NSMBWii is an evolution of that concept of how the two players played together, with basically the same character. The only real difference is that 2-4 are playing at the same time.

I'm just saying, they were negligent on a few points.

I'm not contesting that much either. But to me, it's either a thing of "it is what it is" one hand, and at least doing a good deal to avoid some unnecessary flak on another.

Because again, I say that one should not underestimate the fans, and what could happen when their ire is irked too much for its own good... 8D

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #148 on: October 21, 2009, 03:22:38 AM
Because again, I say that one should not underestimate the fans, and what could happen when their ire is irked too much for its own good... 8D

On that one note, I'll contest.  I think fans (specially gamers), no matter how much they complain and are irked, will still suffer through anything.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #149 on: October 21, 2009, 03:45:17 AM
Pretty sure we prove that on a regular basis with Sonic.

I can't help but find it ironic that Ben uses an example of a fan's reaction to a character's absence as evidence to why a character's absence to avoid irking the fans is acceptable.

And that's the thing.  I don't agree that kicking Peach out of the game dodges the issue, not if reviewers are already raising eyebrows before game release (when we could have been hopeful for some sort of unlockables, they rather jumped the gun, and Miyamoto confirmed).  I will reiterate again however that I *DO* find her absence acceptable; she's a damsel-in-distress character and that's what she's doing.  We can't rescue a group of dream-bee-people every game.  But even outside of her it's not as if there weren't other characters to consider, even other princesses, or even other pre-established Toads.  Using two new Toads, especially when we already have THREE Toads, is pointless.

She did Float in that game (when she was all Joyful). 8D
That's actually counter-productive to your argument, then.  If there's precedent for the float being acceptable as a situational move, then Peach's presence in any game with an aerial power-up should be fine.  Again, the propeller-suit would have her covered.

In your example, the one game is one player (much like its "American" counterpart) and was also conducive to having the differing characters play differently. The other games (the original versions of SMB1, 3 and World), were able to support 2 player, and had Mario and Luigi play exactly the same.
I believe my original post already said that in simpler, if more vague, terms.

Although to be fair, and I'm not condoning this (in fact I hated it), but SMA4 broke that trend.  It was very clearly developed with Gameboy Player use intended, making multiplayer viable as long as your friend puts their controller down when it's not their turn, and yet Luigi still floaty-jumps.  I actually do find it annoying in that one because the run-in-the-air shpiel really doesn't work for me outside of Sub-Con, and I find the All-Stars SMB3 sprites badly animated for it, especially in conjunction with the raccoon tail.