Legend of Zelda - The official Zelda thread

Align · 344961

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #1300 on: December 23, 2011, 07:32:29 PM
No, that one has always been a prequel.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #1301 on: December 23, 2011, 07:42:03 PM
NP: Where do all the Zelda games fall into place when arranged chronologically by their stories?
Miyamoto: Ocarina of Time is the first story, then the original Legend of Zelda, then Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, and finally A Link to the Past. It's not very clear where Link's Awakening fits in--it could be anytime after Ocarina of Time.

Not quite...

It's an old interview (after the release of OoT; this is even before MM was mentioned) but yeah.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #1302 on: December 23, 2011, 07:43:48 PM
There's been two contradictory Miyamoto timeline statements. In the US, we got OoT>LoZ/AoL>LttP. In Japan, they got OoT>Lttp>LoZ/AoL. It's assumed that the former was a mistranslation of the latter as the games themselves correspond to the to the latter. At that time, Link's Awakening was stated to fit wherever, but was implicated by the game itself to follow LttP. This relation was subsequently confirmed by the official site, and upset by the Oracle series.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #1303 on: December 23, 2011, 07:47:13 PM
I think you got cut off there, Zan.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1304 on: December 23, 2011, 08:00:02 PM
Fixed it.

Offline Rayl

• The Missing Piece
  • Resistance Member
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
Reply #1305 on: December 24, 2011, 12:15:05 AM
Finally got around to playing this and man i loved it pretty much start to finish (other then the silent realms and the underwater Faron Woods section) Took me 27ish hours to beat in total which is a little longer then Twilight Princess did so good job Nintendo :)

Also i'm sad to see that there isn't a version of the Ballad of the Goddess with Fi singing on the OST =( I loved that version of the song.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #1306 on: December 25, 2011, 04:00:42 PM
How fitting that the only Timeline branch I really care about is the one where OoT Link "fails". (With some exceptions here and there, Majora's Mask being the main one.)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 07:25:46 PM by Fox McCloud »

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #1307 on: December 25, 2011, 05:50:41 PM
There's still people outside the forum that doesn't seem to understand what "Failed" timeline means (and doesn't want to accept a third timeline either).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC0KIrKIEYM[/youtube]

Master Sword is put back on the pedestral, Golden Land, Sages, a Great War, and so on. ^^;

Posted on: December 25, 2011, 17:49:08
By the way, the Japanese title for ALttP is "Triforce of the Gods".
And the BS Satellaview release was called "Ancient Stone Tablets".
Just want to throw that out there hoping the timeline would make more sense.

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #1308 on: December 26, 2011, 07:22:53 PM
I'm not even sure if we should try to justify this with time travel mechanics; first and foremost it's just that Ocarina is some sort of reboot of the series that adapts A Link To the Past's manual story as its own thing. It's the "movie of the book," so to say.

But if we absolutely had to... LttP demands several requirements to be fulfilled:
-Ganondorf acquires the whole Triforce; the Sacred Realm is transformed into the Dark World
-The Master Sword, to be wielded by one of the knight's lineage, remained unused; no hero was found.
-Ganondorf had never lost against a little kid before.
-The awakened sages are Rauru, Ruto, Saria, Nabooru and... Mido?
-Before the sages seal was cast, the Knights of Hyrule died in battle against Ganondorf.
-People believed the knight's lineage had ended, and no one would be able to stop Ganondorf's escape.
-Somewhere, somehow, the knight's lineage survived within the civilian populace, and gave rise to the new hero.

All in all, we cannot eliminate the Hero of Time from time itself, otherwise the flood and Wind Waker would just repeat all over again. In that regard, maybe Skyward Sword presents the most elegant solution. But who knows... waiting for scans and translation still. >.>
I just wanted to say that I'm pretty sure that this was the original intent of OoT... until everything that came after it. The Imprisoning War was probably something we never got to see in OoT due to Link disappearing for 7 years, but Ganon was pretty much ruling the place (not to mention Hyrule Town did kind of end up completely ruined).

Anyways, is there really any explanation of the whole "failed" aspect in the book? If not, it could be several things (Link was defeated at the end of OoT which would mean Ganon acquired the full Triforce and made his wish which put him in the Dark World, or Link never came back after opening the Sacred Realm in the first place, etc). Honestly I understand why they'd toss in a third branch in the timeline tree though with all the games that came out after OoT, Wind Waker in particular probably causing a lot of issues.

I'm thinking the word "failed" is just being taken in a different way than was intended, most likely. Wouldn't be the first time this sort of thing has happened.*cough*Light invented Irregular Virus*cough*

Also went back to my previous post and put in the quotation marks... just noticed that I forgot to put those in. Kind of changes the tone of the post closer to what was intended. I blame 12 hour night shifts :P

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1309 on: January 02, 2012, 10:57:28 PM
I just wanted to say that I'm pretty sure that this was the original intent of OoT...

Ocarina Of Time definitely aligns nicely with most aspects of the imprisoning war. It´s just that it could never wholly conform with the premise of Ganon acquiring the whole Triforce before being sealed. To allow for Link´s victory made for not only a better story, but a better game. I applaud Nintendo for acknowledging that Ocarina of Time could never be the precise events that preceded A Link To The Past, instead of retconning the game.

Anyways, is there really any explanation of the whole "failed" aspect in the book? If not, it could be several things (Link was defeated at the end of OoT which would mean Ganon acquired the full Triforce and made his wish which put him in the Dark World, or Link never came back after opening the Sacred Realm in the first place, etc). Honestly I understand why they'd toss in a third branch in the timeline tree though with all the games that came out after OoT, Wind Waker in particular probably causing a lot of issues.

I'm thinking the word "failed" is just being taken in a different way than was intended, most likely. Wouldn't be the first time this sort of thing has happened.*cough*Light invented Irregular Virus*cough*

It´s hard to say without translation of the text, but the page that precedes the imprisoning war story from A Link To The Past´s intro shows Link in a heated battle with Ganondorf:

Presumably it is this page that explains the matter. That's not to say Link died, Ganondorf could have just extracted the Triforce without killing them (as he did in Wind Waker). But, even though this premise explains how all the Sages awakened (to make Adventure of Link's town names) and how the knights line continued, this creates a minor contradiction with Twinrova's defeat and return in Oracle.  

One interesting little theory I read, which I thought was fun to play around with, is the notion that the 'Link defeated/failed' line would provide a basis for Zelda and Link's foreboding visions of the future: those prophecies allowing time to take a different course.

Posted on: December 27, 2011, 04:45:08 PM
http://i43.tinypic.com/21mssi1.png
http://i44.tinypic.com/2nrohls.png

Translation should be coming soon. Also, looks like they modified the image of Link vs. Ganondorf.

Posted on: January 02, 2012, 03:14:38 PM
And there we go:
http://forums.zeldainformer.com/threads/hyrule-historia-translations.8624/

also:

http://i42.tinypic.com/2i6laa9.png
Link, the descendant of the Hero of Time

リンクが初めてトワイライトに足を踏み入れた際、手の甲に勇気のトライフォースの紋章が輝いて獣の姿になり 、人間に戻った際には勇者が着ていたという縁衣をまとっていた。リンクは、先祖である時の勇者の亡霊から奥 義を教わる。彼は子ども時代に戻って以降、勇者として名残せかったことを無念に感じていた。それゆえリンク に「息子よ」と語りかけ、勇気の証と奥義継いだのだ。

When Link first set foot in the Twilight, the crest of the Triforce of Courage shined on the back of his hand; when he returned to human-form he wore clothes the hero wore. Link is taught mysteries from the ghost of the hero of time. Since he returned to his childhood, he'd felt regret that he would leave his name as hero. Therefore, the "son" of Link speaks proof of the courage he inheirited mysteriously.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 03:01:21 AM by Zan »

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #1310 on: January 04, 2012, 01:24:09 PM
So it was indeed my initial thought, then. Well, good to know, although who knows how long this will remain as such.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1311 on: January 07, 2012, 03:19:18 PM
Full scans of the book are now available, but not sure if I should post those.

Translations are compiled here, though:
http://www.glitterberri.com/hyrule-historia/

I must acknowledge, the information contained within is pretty dang accurate, even in the awkwardly placed Four Sword section. The fanbase is a bit too good at misreading what it says, though.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1312 on: January 07, 2012, 09:43:17 PM
Yeah. For the most part it all makes sense. I also like the different eras the put on the side as well, so there's the possibility that the next game can take place during a certain era like that.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #1313 on: January 09, 2012, 06:45:39 AM
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKSTfl9l1J4[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgsuNNpwYvw[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRxqKrj9BHs[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLkP7LOVfxw[/youtube]

Also read these comments to find corrections and other important info about the timeline and videos in general:
http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=169700

Also my Hyrule Historia book might show up soonish too~ :cookie:

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1314 on: January 09, 2012, 11:30:18 AM
If you ask me, the first video kinda wastes the opportunity to show the creation myth from Ocarina at the right time. But I suppose leaving out the finer details is one way to avoid making mistakes.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #1315 on: January 09, 2012, 03:55:27 PM
Hmm... if Zelda 1 follows after LA, could it be the same Link? Would make sense if he lost even his sword, considering the ending.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1316 on: January 09, 2012, 05:51:31 PM
No, LoZ>AoL is many generations after LttP. There's a whole slew of stuff that needs to happen first to set up the state of the Triforce.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1317 on: January 09, 2012, 05:55:45 PM
I'm curious, what era would people like to see the next Zelda game take place in?

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #1318 on: January 09, 2012, 06:28:42 PM
I kinda would like to see the flood that leads to WW myself, but that would necessitate having a character other than Link.

I do want to see more of the "new Hyrule" introduced in ST, preferably without stylus controls... but I think a game in the Era of Prosperity might be cool too. See Hyrule's official establishment or something...

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #1319 on: January 09, 2012, 07:55:44 PM
Link could be a Royal Guard with a doomed crush..

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #1320 on: January 09, 2012, 08:37:22 PM
I'm curious, what era would people like to see the next Zelda game take place in?

3DS/Wii U Four Swords about the Link that sealed Vaati so we can have an online FS  please.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #1321 on: January 09, 2012, 08:43:49 PM
But Tai, didn't MC Link do just that?

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #1322 on: January 09, 2012, 09:23:26 PM
According to the translations it was his descendant.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1323 on: January 09, 2012, 10:47:39 PM
The book isn't really unambiguous on which hero of the four sword is presumed to be a descendant of Minish Cap Link. The story of the first seal is on the same page as the second seal. It all depends on how we're supposed to read the sidebar.

Either way, with only three or four Four Sword wielding Links specified by FSA, a dead Vaati during the Child Era, the Palace of the Four Sword during the Decline Era, and the great flood of the Adult Era... I'd say that's certainly one of the few remaining spots we have left for another Four Swords game.

Offline Karai

• with RICE
  • B-Class Hunter
  • (not) Missing in Action
    • View Profile
    • My stuff & HI SKORS
Reply #1324 on: January 09, 2012, 10:52:40 PM
Time travel is so 2000, I'd love to see a Multi Mirror or something like that, allowing journeys across both Time and all Eras.