• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #251 on: August 30, 2009, 05:58:52 AM

Star Wars: The Yavin Vassilika
Chapter One

Fully-dramatized audio adaptation of the comic series of the same name.

Yes, folks, it is done.  At least the first chapter of it.  My brother and I have been working on this since Christmas, and seriously, at first we had no idea what we were doing.  We had never adapted a comic to audio before.  And to make matters worse, all we had at our disposal was a cheap PC mic and Audacity.  But, we didn't let it stop us (though the next chapters are being recorded with a better mic and Audition).  We each tackled at least ten different voices, dealt with Audacity's frequent crashing and errors (and file corruption, argh), and learned how to make an audio drama.  Is it easier than a fan film?  No way.  Cheaper, yes.  Easier, no.

Anywho, without further adieu, I present to you, the first chapter of Star Wars: The Yavin Vassilika.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #252 on: August 30, 2009, 06:09:22 AM
If this gets approval by the other RPM'ers, I think we might have a radio show.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #253 on: August 30, 2009, 08:18:36 AM
LoL, you already know all the feedback I gave to you via GTalk, so I'm not going to Copy-Paste it here.  Overall, I'll just point out that you and Pierce did a really fantastic job on this.  My congrats to the both of you for all your hard work and effort.  It really came out well.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #254 on: August 31, 2009, 04:51:17 PM
Just finished listening to it...
Wow. The range of voices the 2 of you did... Very impressive.

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Kit

• #1 wizard of disappearing
  • Master's Unit
  • hue
    • View Profile
    • Art stuff
Reply #255 on: August 31, 2009, 08:44:02 PM
*standing ovation applause*

I have to agree with Wily! The voices you two did...amazing!

And then of course Itunes has to go and be gay and crash. =(

they dont think it be like it is but it do

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #256 on: August 31, 2009, 09:03:30 PM
I hear... African Mines from Duck Tales in the background~! 0v0

Good work on the voices, both of you. They sound as authentic as official actors, if not better. ^^

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #257 on: August 31, 2009, 09:07:19 PM
And in case I haven't stressed this point enough....your Jossel voice is [tornado fang]ing hot!   0v0

Offline Ringman

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #258 on: September 01, 2009, 03:57:11 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys!  Its this kind of stuff that keeps us stressing out over projects like these.  The voices took the longest amount of time.  First we had to deal with making alien-speaking characters still sound the same while speaking english, no small feat.  Plus we were constantly revising from criticisms of our friends to keep the characters sounding authentic.  
I know I had complaints from Proto that Han was too low and complaints from my girlfriend that Lando was too low originally.  With Han, now, I seem to have satisfied most. But, with Lando I'm getting feedback from my gf, that he's perfect, and feedback from Proto that he is too high.  Ah well, I'll try to find that middle ground for the next installment.  

Also, I have to hand it to Quickie for suffering through the different voices she had to do before finally constructing something perfect for Zuckuss, it paid off in the end.  Most of her voices have been "invented" just for this, while I've been using alot of stock voices that I've created over the years while reading books and comics aloud with my GF, or impersonations of existing characters.  

Quickie's worked much harder on this than I have.  She's been writing the blocking and sound fx placement during weekdays when I have work, and still recording and editing on the Fridays we meet.  Hands off to her.  I think the next one will be out much sooner because we won't have to deal with Audacity and we won't need to come up with many new voices.  Except for ... Dodonna, ugh.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #259 on: September 01, 2009, 11:31:55 PM
Plus we were constantly revising from criticisms of our friends to keep the characters sounding authentic.  
I know I had complaints from Proto that Han was too low and complaints from my girlfriend that Lando was too low originally.  With Han, now, I seem to have satisfied most. But, with Lando I'm getting feedback from my gf, that he's perfect, and feedback from Proto that he is too high.  Ah well, I'll try to find that middle ground for the next installment.  

Well, no matter how hard you try, some voices cannot be truly authentic, simply cause of your own voice.  I mean, try as I might, I probably couldn't imitate Han very well.  Also, with Lando, it's not that he shouldn't be high, it's that he shouldn't be that high all the time.

Offline Ringman

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #260 on: September 02, 2009, 07:22:21 PM
Well you're first statement I don't agree with.  I believe you can get a level of authenticity to a close enough level that only subtle differences remain.  No matter what your voice is.  It all takes practice.  These voices don't just come out of the woodwork it took alot of practice to figure out how to get my voice to do the right sound even.  However the second statement, he shouldn't be that high all the time, I can easily fix and is something I've been trying to find a good balance with.  I dropped him down much lower on the last two sentences on the first line I just think I went TOO low there.  I've been doing his angry lines in the car over and over again to try to find that balance.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #261 on: September 02, 2009, 08:22:56 PM
Well you're first statement I don't agree with.  I believe you can get a level of authenticity to a close enough level that only subtle differences remain. 

That's pretty much what I meant...

Well, no matter how hard you try, some voices cannot be truly authentic, simply cause of your own voice.

With practice, yes you can get a level of authenticity where only subtle difference remain, but those differences are still there, just like with any imitation.  If you've ever watched or listened to commercials talking about Celebrity Imitators, they live off of imitating the style and voice of actors, singers, etc.  But you can still hear those subtle differences in there voice.  One of our members here, Sato, did a pretty much spot-on imitation of Peter Griffin from Family Guy, but again, you can hear the subtle difference.  It's not a criticism about the job you did, cause you two did a great job. 

Offline Ringman

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #262 on: September 02, 2009, 11:12:49 PM
No hard feelings, man.  I wasn't taking it as criticism.  I thought you were selling YOURSELF short!  You said as an example "I couldn't imitate Han very well."  That's not very fair to you.  With enough practice you could probably sound dead on to the untrained ear, just like anything it takes time.  I think even in time subtle differences can be eliminated because in reality all voice is is the vibrations of the vocal chords mixed with the shape of your cranial cavities.  While its nigh impossible to change the shape of your cranial cavities, you can adjust the shape of your mouth inside and out, position of your tongue and the vibrations of your vocal chords to produce just about any sound.  It would take a VERY VERY skilled person to do that, and believe me I'm nowhere near there.  But I would never say "impossible".

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #263 on: September 03, 2009, 01:28:34 AM
LoL, oh don't worry.  I never, EVER sell myself short!   8)

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #264 on: September 06, 2009, 10:14:59 AM
We've started recording Chapter Two yesterday.  Got about three pages into the audioplay.  This one shouldn't take as long to do as we got all the character voices figured out and I won't be struggling with trying to figure out a decent voice for Zuckuss.

And speaking of Zuckuss...

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #265 on: September 06, 2009, 10:19:31 AM
Fuckin' A, that's incredible.  Really incredible!  And Brown!  XD

That's great to hear about the voices too.  Best of luck and I can't wait to hear it.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #266 on: September 06, 2009, 04:39:46 PM
Indeed, can't wait. :3
And awesome pic.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #267 on: September 29, 2009, 09:49:12 AM
Just finished off a requested pic from the fanon wiki that's been sitting in my "To Do" pile for a while.

I love how the face turned out.

Offline borockman

• Super avatar painter in training
  • Legendary Hero
  • DONALD ANGRY! DONALD SMASH!!
    • View Profile
Reply #268 on: September 29, 2009, 10:09:50 AM
I love that clothes texture.

Proud member of Indigo tribe!

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #269 on: September 29, 2009, 11:02:52 AM
Very impressive pic.
The shading, the texture. :3

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #270 on: September 29, 2009, 11:58:40 AM
He looks like he'd be all kinds of bad ass

Offline Ringman

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #271 on: October 03, 2009, 02:02:51 AM
Not bad.  Looks like he got punched in the cheek alot.  Lookin a bit puffy there.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #272 on: December 09, 2009, 10:41:18 PM
Lookie what I made in the oekaki.

Too bad the applet wouldn't let me save it...

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #273 on: December 09, 2009, 10:43:00 PM
It's so beautiful.  Damn that applet.  I wanted to see the animation.

Offline Ninja Lou

• Samurai/Ninja of RPM
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Ninjas........Damn
    • View Profile
Reply #274 on: December 09, 2009, 10:43:12 PM
Looks good Quickie

This post has been approved by Marle!