[News] No New Game for 25th Anniversary (Probably)

Joseph Collins · 33074

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #125 on: October 06, 2012, 01:58:53 AM
Why the flying [tornado fang] are we misconstruing developers showing their love of Rockman DASH for corporate spite?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #126 on: October 06, 2012, 02:04:53 AM
Because it relates to a game that they cancelled which is still a very sensitive issue, and then they go and stick a rocket in a Legends picture from a crossover game?

It might not be spite, but it sure as hell is completely tactless.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #127 on: October 06, 2012, 02:10:04 AM
Why the flying [tornado fang] are we misconstruing developers showing their love of Rockman DASH for corporate spite?

Why are we assuming that cameos automatically mean that Capcom cares?

Seriously, I can barely tell what's going on over there anymore. That rocket could mean anything.

(And really, if this is supposed to hint at Trigger finally getting off that damn moon, I'd rather have it happen in an actual Legends game, where the event would have more weight than if it happened in a tertiary game like Capcom All-Stars or Xover. 'cuz tertiary games are of dubious canonocity to the mainlines, at best)

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #128 on: October 06, 2012, 02:15:55 AM
Why are we assuming that cameos automatically mean that Capcom cares?

Corporate Capcom =/= Individual Employees.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #129 on: October 06, 2012, 02:30:50 AM
Corporate Capcom =/= Individual Employees.

True, but I'd think Coroprate Capcom would have to approve the cameos included. Maybe they let them through out of genuine approval or the like, maybe they just waved them through without a second thought.

Archer

Reply #130 on: October 06, 2012, 02:42:34 AM
Like usual, people are overreacting.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #131 on: October 06, 2012, 02:47:53 AM
True, but I'd think Coroprate Capcom would have to approve the cameos included. Maybe they let them through out of genuine approval or the like, maybe they just waved them through without a second thought.

The people running the business end of the company have neither the time nor the money to confirm all that's being put inside their games.

Because it relates to a game that they cancelled which is still a very sensitive issue, and then they go and stick a rocket in a Legends picture from a crossover game?

It might not be spite, but it sure as hell is completely tactless.

The fanbase could stand to be more tactful toward the employees who are stuck beneath corporate's iron fist, that had DASH3 taken away from them, and are continuing to show us their support even when the bigwigs don't care.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #132 on: October 06, 2012, 02:50:26 AM

And this is where it gets fun. You stopped caring and the minute you add a certain number next to "legends", everyone goes batshit crazy. Sadly my sig makes much more sense now..

Also the best part is that you can take advantage of the situation too.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #133 on: October 06, 2012, 03:10:20 AM

So are what point are people allowed to react to things with more than just indifference at best?

The fanbase could stand to be more tactful toward the employees who are stuck beneath corporate's iron fist, that had DASH3 taken away from them, and are continuing to show us their support even when the bigwigs don't care.

That's the thing, though. The bigwigs don't care, thus cameos like these don't carry much weight in the long run (if that makes any sense. Hence why I get angry when people say "[MM character] got a cameo, shut up"--some of the cards(?) in UMvC3's Heroes and Heralds mode were Breath of Fire guys, but that doesn't mean we'll ever see another (Capcom-made) Breath of Fire game.

I do have more sympathy for the individual employees; I just wish the rest of Capcom would put more thought into how people'd react to things like this.

Couldn't they have just included Aero or Barrett? Doesn't matter what the intent here was; over a decade of waiting, and our payoff is a short event in a cell phone game we'll probably never get to play (as pointed out by the Legends Station). Isn't that at least a little depressing?

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #134 on: October 06, 2012, 04:54:40 AM
I fully agree with this.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #135 on: October 06, 2012, 05:07:51 AM
It's a matter of the fact that they're directly referencing the cancelled game (Servbots building a rocket with a touch screen device) rather than simply throwing in some loving for the Legends series in general.  For all the negativity towards XOver, Trigger appearing in the promotional art was marginally comforting (and the reaction to his subsequent absence from the trailer was a bit prickly, as well).

However, I will say this: If a Legends-loving employee finds that the greatest way to continue to generate interest in the series is to [acid burst] us off, then by all means, have at it.
Relevant video rant  Long story short: Whining and bitching works better than any boycott.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
  • Blow up! We want to blow up this area.
    • View Profile
Reply #136 on: October 06, 2012, 05:12:08 AM
They should make EXE 7 with a plot centralized on Mega Man Trigger. How would your conceptions of the timeline feel then?

FEELS  ;^;Which has the massive scrotums?

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #137 on: October 07, 2012, 03:20:28 AM
LoL, at least they made this for DROID phones as well.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #138 on: October 07, 2012, 12:26:47 PM
They should make EXE 7 with a plot centralized on Mega Man Trigger. How would your conceptions of the timeline feel then?

Considering EXE5's Barrel is also from DASH, nothing would change.

It's a matter of the fact that they're directly referencing the cancelled game (Servbots building a rocket with a touch screen device) rather than simply throwing in some loving for the Legends series in general.

You'd rather Capcom never speak of DASH3 ever again? I'd much rather preserve the game's assets and give characters like Barret and Aero an equal right to exist. Would it not be cool if Rock Voulnut's new design were used more rather than less?

Don't get me wrong, though. The fanbase can and should whine all it wants about the current situation. I just advocate it being directed properly at corporate Capcom, and not the creative team.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #139 on: October 07, 2012, 01:30:12 PM
You'd rather Capcom never speak of DASH3 ever again?

Depends on the context in which Legends 3 is referenced. Aero, Barrett, Trigger's L3 armour--all that's fine. Resolving the series's cliffhanger in a short event (if that's even what the event's about) in a JP-only social crossover game...isn't.

The impression I'm getting from Capcom is that they want to deal with Legends as little as possible (see: that godawful Xover trailer from which Trigger is blatantly mostly-absent, along with any Legends logos); only Tron and her Servbots are making any real appearances, and it's probably only because she's been in crossovers before and can easily fit into them without much Legends association (to a non-fan, anyway). Thus the rocket feels a bit "there, now we don't have to talk about Legends 3 anymore because we took care of the cliffhanger in a non-canon game".

Or maybe some individual staff member didn't think things through.

I really wish they'd give Aero or Barrett or even one of the "Lily" designs a cameo (Aero did appear in a calendar, but I think its art was completed before MML3 bit it); that'd be potentially less controversial and a sign that everyone's contributions to the game weren't completely wasted.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #140 on: October 07, 2012, 03:21:55 PM
(if that's even what the event's about)

'IF', indeed. That rocket isn't even of the same design, and we know for a fact that both many failed efforts to reach Rock preceded DASH3. 'IF' that image portrays such an event it is likely to be a message of hope in the face of immense adversity, the way it should be for now.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #141 on: October 07, 2012, 03:51:58 PM
I'm honestly not sure if this rocket turning out to be intended for something completely different would be much better. Do we get unintentionally trolled one way, or do we get unintentionally trolled another way?

On another note--I'm not sure if this really falls under 25th anniversary stuff, but Capcom currently has no plans for a Megaman/Sonic crossover game.

I wasn't really expecting one to be made, but I'm still bummed; an MM/Sonic game could be fun. What if SEGA designed the Robot Masters and Capcom the Badniks (or E-series robots)? How would a SEGA-developed MM game play? (I say "SEGA-developed" because I can't help but feel that it wouldn't be a true collaboration, just Capcom handing the IP over to SEGA while they focus on other things)

The optimistic part of me wants to think that they'll reconsider if WWC sells well enough, but...

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #142 on: October 07, 2012, 09:38:56 PM
I wouldn't have expected a crossover game even back at the height of the franchise. Doesnt seem Mega Man style to do a crossover adventure. crossover "appearance" maybe, (ala smash bros) but not full blown Mega Man & Sonic. Although I will admit, the prospect of Wily Working with Eggman is ridiculously tempting... But- we have the Comics for that.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #143 on: October 08, 2012, 12:44:30 AM
Considering EXE5's Barrel is also from DASH, nothing would change.
What is he, Roll's dad?

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #144 on: October 08, 2012, 01:09:09 AM
I wouldn't have expected a crossover game even back at the height of the franchise. Doesnt seem Mega Man style to do a crossover adventure. crossover "appearance" maybe, (ala smash bros) but not full blown Mega Man & Sonic. Although I will admit, the prospect of Wily Working with Eggman is ridiculously tempting... But- we have the Comics for that.
Did you forget the EXE/Boktai crossovers? That worked well. It was always fun eradicating viruses with GUN DEL SOL!!

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #145 on: October 08, 2012, 03:10:05 AM
It was always fun eradicating viruses with GUN DEL SOL!!
Column locked Mega Mans made even better prey.

Offline Yllisos Zanon

• The Laberynth Librarian
  • Resistance Member
  • Individuality, so F*#K popularity
    • View Profile
Reply #146 on: October 09, 2012, 08:47:03 AM
Filter glitch, happens every now and then. "Gay Oily Slickers from Outer Space" would've been more tasteful, though.

Yeah, guess where the rocket is even POINTED at? Not straight at the sun, although it might look like they just drew the daytime scene and 'shopped it to look like night.

NoA did the same with a certain other game, if I recall.

Nintendo of America did something simaliar, proven useful.  Metroid as well. 

Konami did the samething with Castlevania, been neutral, proving to be a learning process.

It's time for Capcom to do the same.  For Mega Mans sake.

They're coming to take me away
hee hee hoo hoo haw haw

http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=veasman#

Archer

Reply #147 on: October 09, 2012, 10:34:19 AM
For Mega Mans sake.

But Mega Man is dead, there's no point in doing anything for his sake.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #148 on: October 09, 2012, 10:44:08 AM
But Mega Man is dead, there's no point in doing anything for his sake.

What's the point in doing anything for anyone's sake if you give up hope so easily?

Completely abandoning a series because it's having a rough spot (to say the least) isn't much better.

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #149 on: October 09, 2012, 12:24:07 PM
"It's just a flesh wound!"

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations