Sonic Colors (Wii, DS)

Klavier Gavin · 134632

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #750 on: September 11, 2010, 01:46:58 AM
Hey, you didn't respond to me! For shaaaame.   8)

Already proved this wrong in my previous post. I'm awesome.

Also proved this wrong with my description of certain situations. But for the sake of my awesomeness... If one person is lower in lives, which can be considered a power-up, you can let the other player or players or playas get one of the many, MANY 1-Up Shrooms that pop up. If one player is limp and small, you let them get the half way flag to give them a taste of cocklicious rising Mango! Having one guy have the power of Fire and another the power of Ice is incredibly helpful and does make it easier especially on certain levels where lots and lots of baddies are falling on your floating raft from above.

The game isn't easier with just single player. It's just an easy game as a whole, cause it's [tornado fang]ing Super Mario Bros.

Wait, lemme read that again...

I REALLY hope you're not referring to JUST this game and excluding all 2D Mario games, because there's NEVER a need to kill enemies in 2D Mario games unless they're in your way. I mean, Raccoon Mario, Cape Mario, Blue Yo oh Oh OH YEAH! I WANT TO GET AWAY. I WANNA FLLLLYYYYYY AWAAAAAAAAAAY! YEAAHH YEAAHH YEEEEAAAAHHHHH!  8D

But otherwise, I think I covered pretty much everything else, in my sexcellent fashion!

I was going to later. Just tended to other posts for the moment.

You quoted alot of situations which just don't really cope with regular co-op gameplay. I'm sure there are just for the hell of it, but I don't remember one single game in which co-op play makes it naturally harder instead of easier. I'm not saying I didn't like the game, I had some fun with it. I just found the bump mechanics to really not aid on the usual co-op gameplay the game is aiming for. The whole thing seems much more competitive than cooperative. Most people, and reviews, say so. And the game might be easy for you, but it's not easy for alot of people. Different standards for different people. People who might want to play this game and find that the hindering capabilities of the bump mechanic are annoying as [tornado fang]. Heck, I think it was the Penny Arcade dudes who said "Play this game with someone if you want to hate eachother".

YES, I am referring to all of the Mario games in general. Games which don't usually flaunt their co-op mechanic, might I add. >___> That's why I was making the point.

Offline Shinigami No Tekken

• RPM's resident kid-on-the-old-man's-lawn.
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Cool Story, Bro!
    • View Profile
Reply #751 on: September 11, 2010, 01:48:45 AM
I knew it. I freakin' knew it. It took but 5-6 hours from the moment I woke up until now for this to turn into some sort of heated debate.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #752 on: September 11, 2010, 01:57:42 AM
I knew it. I freakin' knew it. It took but 5-6 hours from the moment I woke up until now for this to turn into some sort of heated debate.
It's what we do, sugar.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #753 on: September 11, 2010, 02:08:20 AM
Separate gaming classes DO exist.
Not responding to your entire post because THESE DAMN SEATS ARE VINYL!!!

I never said they don't.  What I said is that the current depiction of them is rubbish.  The gaming press, along with the console fanboys, are trying to drive rifts in between what they perceive as two classes encompassing all gamers.  Which they don't.  NSMBWii convinced me of that, since it is a poor hardcore game, yet as you yourself admit, also a poor casual game.  Despite fitting in neither category, the game happens to be freaking awesome, and enjoyed the fastest single-console game sales ever.  While I won't deny that the "Mario" brand carries some selling power, there's more to it than that, otherwise the Galaxies should have been more successful (they weren't).

Further, gaming classes overlap within the individual gamer as a matter of varying degrees, not as an absolute.  I'm primarily a nostalgic gamer.  Does that I mean I play no Wii Sports, or no Grand Theft Auto?  Nope.  I may not enjoy them as much, but I still take a crack at it once in a while.

You're being (gasp) CIVILIZED? I am officially in Bizarro World! 8D
I'm just stating what I previously believed to be obvious, that's all.

My point is that there is no POINT in playing the game in multiplayer
Which makes the game comfortable to play in single-player (unlike, say, Four Swords Adventure).  To me that's a positive, not a minus.  You play with friends because you like playing with friends, not because you cannot progress without them.

If everyone could just learn how to be good at something that's exceedingly simple and almost primal, everyone in the planet would be gods of sex.
Hey, we all WANT to be PB.

And example, you lack the ability to master something as sickeningly simple as a dual analog strafe/camera control. 8D
Finding something unintuitive and being incapable of working with it are two different things.  In all fairness I haven't made the most aggressive pursuit in that department, but a lot of that is because I'm not much of an FPS fan.

You don't need to talk to me about how individuals have varying tolerances in what does and doesn't feel like natural control.  God knows I've been in a bazillion circles with PB on that one as it relates to MegaMan Xtreme2.  And any Wii owner who's read a fair share of reviews has doubtless found editorial control opinions that fly in the face of their own (some of my favorites: difficulty in grabbing stuff in Godzilla Unleashed, anyone and everyone must play Metroid Prime 3 on High Sensitivity with Lock-On Free Aim, Mario Power Tennis is impossible to aim, and a best out of three round of "YOU SWUNG TOO HARD!!!" constitutes an enjoyable minigame in Mario & Sonic at the Olympics).

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Cool Story, Bro!
    • View Profile
Reply #754 on: September 11, 2010, 02:16:33 AM
It's what we do, sugar.

OH, SO NOW I'M YOUR WIFE?

Anyways, Someone tell me when we start making posts shorter than a quarter of a screen long that I'm not too lazy to read.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #755 on: September 11, 2010, 02:16:48 AM
I was going to later. Just tended to other posts for the moment.

Damn right you were, my Most Excellent Superbitch!  8)

You quoted alot of situations which just don't really cope with regular co-op gameplay. I'm sure there are just for the hell of it, but I don't remember one single game in which co-op play makes it naturally harder instead of easier. I'm not saying I didn't like the game, I had some fun with it. I just found the bump mechanics to really not aid on the usual co-op gameplay the game is aiming for. The whole thing seems much more competitive than cooperative. Most people, and reviews, say so. And the game might be easy for you, but it's not easy for alot of people. Different standards for different people. People who might want to play this game and find that the hindering capabilities of the bump mechanic are annoying as [tornado fang]. Heck, I think it was the Penny Arcade dudes who said "Play this game with someone if you want to hate eachother".

I'll agree to that it doesn't really cope with regular co-op gameplay, but that's because it's not regular co-op gameplay. It's different, and I think it works well for what it is, again depending on who you play with. For instance, lets take TMNTIV: Turtles in Time, arguably one of the best co-op games ever made. In fact, it's so awesome, lets listen to the music while I make my point.  8)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHlFwGoI6ek&feature=related[/youtube]

I don't know if you ever played this in the arcade, but in a game meant for co-op gameplay, I 95% of the time had to deal with some prick who would bring nothing to the Big Apple at 3AM except for laziness and pizza stealing when those of us who were indeed kicking shell needed that pizza. (More often than not, this prick was usually Raph or Leo).  So while I had to waste my begged for hard earned quarters, he was living it up like he was the [tornado fang]ing Shredder.

YES, I am referring to all of the Mario games in general. Games which don't usually flaunt their co-op mechanic, might I add. >___> That's why I was making the point.

That's because no other 2D Mario game ever had this kind of co-op before. But to me, NSMBWii showed that it can be done, done well, and needs to be [tornado fang]ing done with online capabilities so I can toss my friend from Canada into the liquid hot magma like the syrup sucking whore she is!  8D

Hey, we all WANT to be PB.

Ninja Lou doesn't.  8D

You don't need to talk to me about how individuals have varying tolerances in what does and doesn't feel like natural control.  God knows I've been in a bazillion circles with PB on that one as it relates to MegaMan Xtreme2.

And we'll have that debate again I'm sure!  8)

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #756 on: September 11, 2010, 02:52:54 AM
Won't quote because it clutters up the post in my typy-typy box. You'll make the connections.

There are tons of current depictions of them. But there are games made for either one of them or both, and they are acknowledged by gaming companies as two separate audiences they must reach. That makes them valid in all of our eyes.

New Super Mario Bros Wii sold more than Galaxy, because it's SUPER MARIO BROS. That alone should give it one of the biggest boosts it needs.

And yes, although gaming classes do exist, they're more of a usual standard than a norm. I enjoy pretty much all genres equally (while I do dispise dating sims) and I can actually be quite casual when I want to.

Co-op games should have a point to them. You should be able to play them as comfortably in single player as in multiplayer. (heck, moreso in co-op). This doesn't happen here. Thus, I find the experience poor.

Funny how this PB thing relates to the tribal cultures of old. See, when someone is admired, others thought they could gain the essence of that someone in order to become like that. I guess that's why everyone's always so anxious to suck his cock. 8D

Mario games are intuitive, but that doesn't mean they can simply be played by anyone without difficulty whatsoever with enough time. It's all based on interests. Many people find it boring to go along a 2D plane jumping on stuff, unlike us. Other people just find something simple like that confusing, but have no problem memorizing tons of overcomplicated stuff. It's always different for different people. That's why I'm saying they should at least make the game less frustrating on that regard.

----------------------
Anyway, for PB's reply...

Nuh-uh, you don't get to call me that until dinner and a movie. =P

Yep, played that gem in the arcade. (My favorite TMNT game is actually that third GB one, that featured a Metroidvania-like zone. Not part of the discussion of course, but I always mention the game when I want to make people aware of it =P) And of course you got screwed by that guy. 8D Because he didn't play as a team. The point of co-op games is to play as a team all the way. Try to play a game like Left 4 Dead by yourself, and you're DEAD. That's the whole fun of co-op gaming. Progressing as a team. In NSMBW, all you do is pretty much [tornado fang] others up, whether you want it or not.

Agree with the online play. So many co-op games nowadays lack an online mode, it's frustrating. I wanna plays with all you guyses!

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Cool Story, Bro!
    • View Profile
Reply #757 on: September 11, 2010, 02:58:36 AM
Agree with the online play. So many co-op games nowadays lack an online mode, it's frustrating. I wanna plays with all you guyses!

Which is why I need to re-buy Phantom Hourglass so I can whip everyone's butt. That is, if I haven't lost my touch.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #758 on: September 11, 2010, 03:05:12 AM
Nuh-uh, you don't get to call me that until dinner and a movie. =P

Yep, played that gem in the arcade. (My favorite TMNT game is actually that third GB one, that featured a Metroidvania-like zone. Not part of the discussion of course, but I always mention the game when I want to make people aware of it =P) And of course you got screwed by that guy. 8D Because he didn't play as a team. The point of co-op games is to play as a team all the way. Try to play a game like Left 4 Dead by yourself, and you're DEAD. That's the whole fun of co-op gaming. Progressing as a team. In NSMBW, all you do is pretty much [tornado fang] others up, whether you want it or not.

You'll get White Castle & Step-Up 3D and like it! Xd

And again, my point is simply that NSMBWii can very easily be played like a team just like other co-op games, but it completely depends on how you play and who you play it with.

The online thing is really gonna hurt when Donkey Kong Country Returns comes out.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #759 on: September 11, 2010, 03:08:22 AM
You'll get White Castle & Step-Up 3D and like it! Xd

And again, my point is simply that NSMBWii can very easily be played like a team just like other co-op games, but it completely depends on how you play and who you play it with.

The online thing is really gonna hurt when Donkey Kong Country Returns comes out.
Oooooooh, my favorites! The portuguese restaurant "Castelo Branco" has a fine selection of wines, and a specially exquisite lobster. You're buying, of course.

And DKCR isn't online? AW FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Cool Story, Bro!
    • View Profile
Reply #760 on: September 11, 2010, 03:13:58 AM

AW MAN. AND I WANTED TO MOOCH OFF OF ANOTHER KONG'S BACK FOR THE ENTIRE LEVEL WHILE BEING THROWN AROUND.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #761 on: September 11, 2010, 03:29:35 AM
Oooooooh, my favorites! The portuguese restaurant "Castelo Branco" has a fine selection of wines, and a specially exquisite lobster. You're buying, of course.

Of course!

And actually, I don't know if it is or not. I just assume that it's not going to be. XD

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #762 on: September 11, 2010, 03:42:08 AM
Of course!

And actually, I don't know if it is or not. I just assume that it's not going to be. XD
It's a Nintendo game, so... no, no online.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #763 on: September 11, 2010, 03:48:50 AM
That'd be my assumption as well. I mean, it's not a tremendous issue for me as I'm a simple walk away from Lou's. But still, it'd be nice to be able to play with you all.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #764 on: September 11, 2010, 03:55:04 AM
Honestly, I don't have alot of game-interested friends, and the guy who usually comes over is a Sony fanboy with no respect for any non-Playstation consoles. So if this ends up not being online, I'll have to beg my girlfriend for her to play this with me when she's over on weekends, and she probably won't, due to her weird aversion to monkeys in general.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #765 on: September 11, 2010, 03:59:52 AM
You poor Superbat!

And aversion to monkeys? Monkey are awesome!

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #766 on: September 11, 2010, 04:03:10 AM
You poor Superbat!

And aversion to monkeys? Monkey are awesome!
I know, but she somehow doesn't like them. Oh well, I'll just show her how fun the game is and stuff. I just wish I had more local dudery to co-op with. I [tornado fang]ing LOVE co-op games, but I never get to do anything like it.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #767 on: September 11, 2010, 04:06:39 AM
I know, but she somehow doesn't like them. Oh well, I'll just show her how fun the game is and stuff. I just wish I had more local dudery to co-op with. I [tornado fang]ing LOVE co-op games, but I never get to do anything like it.

That sucks. Move to NYC!

Offline Klavier Gavin

• RPM Soldier
  • Einspruch!
    • View Profile
Reply #768 on: September 11, 2010, 05:02:33 AM
New screens and a Wisp.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #769 on: September 11, 2010, 05:23:32 AM
What the [tornado fang] is that? @ Gavin's last image

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Cool Story, Bro!
    • View Profile
Reply #770 on: September 11, 2010, 05:50:03 AM
Would be nice if the giant Nintendo logos weren't blocking the DS screen.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #771 on: September 11, 2010, 06:49:52 AM
Hmm ill stick to the Wii version.
Damn, games looking better and better. looks like fun.

I still cant quite make heads or tails of that co op mode though. seems like a race of sorts, first to reach the goal I guess,

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #772 on: September 11, 2010, 10:23:08 AM
I'm so sad Blaze isn't in Rush 3.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #773 on: September 11, 2010, 12:35:40 PM
Looks awesome. Looks really, really awesome. Mostly because I believed that the co-op levels were textured by laziness. These screenshots prove otherwise.

Quote from: Izuka
We believe that this Sonic game is as good as or even better than the 2D Sonic games.
Oh Izuka. 8D You're like the Peter Molineux of Sonic Team.

Offline Klavier Gavin

• RPM Soldier
  • Einspruch!
    • View Profile
Reply #774 on: September 11, 2010, 01:19:27 PM
Izuka

lol he shitted 2 pieces of gold, then just shitted out [parasitic bomb].