Official Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread - Specs, Tech, Price? It's all here!

Emiri Landeel · 268863

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
I just think that giving homebrewers a console capable of basic stereoscopic 3D is gonna do some CRAZY STUFF for mods and other things.

Imagine if someone spent the time to code it to interpret Mode 7.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Sounds exactly like the absolutely useless thing a homebrewer with too much time on his hands would do.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Heh, then F-Zero would be absolutely awesome (well, moreso than it already is).

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=153552

Hahahahaha, holy [parasitic bomb]. There's an R4 for the 3DS out already.

So getting this.

Surprising that they made one so fast, but it may be futile either way.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=153552

Hahahahaha, holy [parasitic bomb]. There's an R4 for the 3DS out already.

So getting this.

As long as it doesn't actually end up replacing actual games in the stores I used to go for cheaper games like the original R4 did I don't really mind it or care much for its existence right now.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Updates of anything are never mandatory. And even if they end up being, it's my choice whether to turn on the net connection of the console or not.

So yeah, gonna get an R4. And screw online play.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Heh, funny, anti-piracy was part of the reason the devs wanted a new platform.  I know nothing is unhackable but I thought it'd last longer than this. >w<  At the very least the auto-update thing will make it very difficult for the unintelligent to pirate.  I guess that's saying something.

The distinction between "might" or "will" render the console unplayable is interesting.  Little history lesson: The original DS was bricked by Mario Kart DS if the system was using a custom firmware.  That was coincidental: Homebrew devs decided to overwrite unused space that Nintendo intended to use for WiFi settings.  MKDS writes to it, overwrites pieces of the homebrew firmware, homebrew firmware is left in pieces, system doesn't work.

Whether they'll get so aggressive as to intentionally disable the console, we'll see.  But given that the last couple of Wii firmware updates did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING except attack homebrew, I wouldn't put it past them.  Also, there's word out there that the 3DS, in logging games you've been playing, may keep a record of flash card use.

I can play Shante DS with this now, right? Right?! :(
As Vix said, you can play Shantae pending a firmware update (recall with the Wii how news/weather didn't work at launch; yeah they did it again, except with stuff we actually care about).

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Question. Has Nintendo ever given any thought to implement an "account" system, so when I buy games in their store, they're not just stuck to my Wii/DS? I'd like it if I could transport my DSi's games into my 3DS. Or if I could switch console when it breaks, without having to re-buy all the games all over again.

(Hah, what am I saying. I haven't bought a Nintendo game since 2007. 8D)

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Also, there's word out there that the 3DS, in logging games you've been playing, may keep a record of flash card use.

Not a rumor. Confirmed. When you put in a flash card like say, the Acekard2i, the 3DS will show the ACTUAL DS flash card icon with a blue-colored sticker on the cartridge (not the game it attempts to imitate, like example ALEX RIDER STORMBREAKER). And that Acekard2i icon will show up in the Activity Log too. You can remove ALL activity completely if you format your 3DS settings to factory settings, starting from scratch again. I did test it one time, and did a factory format, and hopefully my 3DS won't be bricked, since there's no record saved anywhere in the system anymore (I'm taking a risk here, I know. I decide to use the Acekard2i in my DSi instead). And that's the point where I decided to get a new friend code, that I posted in the RPM friend list topic. ^^

And I did update the 3DS firmware a week after I got it from the post office. It updated from 1.0.0-0J to 1.1.0.1J, which included a 3D movie.
It didn't brick the system, so it means my 3DS is safe... for now (or maybe the firmware update didn't have any piracy checks). XD

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Maybe they only care about 3DS piracy and are letting DS and DSi piracy/homebrew slide.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Oh God... Have you people seen this..?
http://money.cnn.com/video/technology/2011/03/23/t-tt-nintendo-3ds-review.fortune

I just dont know how to react to this level of idiocy.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Quote from: Guy in video
... Hardcore gamers, like me for instance who grew up on Halo ...
8D

Also, I don't think it should be compared to the I Phone/Pad/whatever. The games on those platforms don't have the same design philosophy or audience. Not to mention the different input mechanisms.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
It's like that new PSP commercial where the guy says "Thanks for making real games for real gamers." Which implies anyone who doesn't play PSP isn't a real gamer.

Still, I'll be getting a 3DS eventually.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
8D

Also, I don't think it should be compared to the I Phone/Pad/whatever. The games on those platforms don't have the same design philosophy or audience. Not to mention the different input mechanisms.

I was gonna quote that. You beat me to it.

"Relies exclusively on cartridges"

That word. I don't think it means what you think it means.

PS: I grew up with SNES and NES.
He looks older than me.

Did he wait until he was 20 years old to start growing up?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
They are more like SD cards than cartridges... they more resemble the card in my camera than what goes in the GBA...

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
I was gonna quote that. You beat me to it.

"Relies exclusively on cartridges"

That word. I don't think it means what you think it means.

PS: I grew up with SNES and NES.
He looks older than me.

Did he wait until he was 20 years old to start growing up?
Some people "grow up with games" older. I played since I was 3, so I still went through the 8-bit generation, but most people who play games today started in the 32/64-bit generation.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
I know I grew up with the PSX and GBC.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
I love it how most geeks didn't experience the actual 8-bit/16-bit age, but they still consider it the greatest gaming period ever.

Gaming hipsters. =P

Offline Krystal

• Fujoshi >w<
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 兄萌えが消えない止まない
    • View Profile
My first gaming console was a NES and I've been Nintendo-happy ever since but it was actually past its age when I got it...

Not that I knew anything about that.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Yeah, I started on the NES too.  Next console gen, Genesis was that "forbidden fruit" that I begged my parents for every gift-giving occasion and never got until it was well obsolete. >w<  But damn, S3&K was so awesome.

Growing up with two older brothers, we all shared and they got pretty much all the "oldschool" stuff when we went our separate ways, which is why I appreciate Nintendo's psychotic re-release habits.  The first system that I actually bought myself was a Gameboy Color; first console a Gamecube (though my bro gave me his PS1 and Dreamcast later).

I'd like it if I could transport my DSi's games into my 3DS. Or if I could switch console when it breaks, without having to re-buy all the games all over again.

(Hah, what am I saying. I haven't bought a Nintendo game since 2007. 8D)
You're a bit out of the loop, Speedy.  DSiWare transfers from DSi to 3DS have been known for quite some time now, but it first requires Nintendo to get their 3DS e-Shop ducks in a row which will come via a future system update.  'bout a month away, I believe; you can't do it offline.  DSi-to-DSi transfers are nonexistant.

Console breakdowns, and downloadable games suffered thereof, are pretty much give-it-to-Nintendo-to-fix-or-you're-screwed.  You can redownload anything for free but only Nintendo can transfer your account to a new piece of hardware.  On your own, you can transfer your Friend Code data between any DS systems, and that's pretty much it.

So, the Gamestop I preordered my 3DS at is opening at 9 on Sunday, and the one ten minutes further down the road is having a midnight launch. >_< You know, I might be more inclined to swallow their pre-order crap if they didn't run this kind of risk of punishing the early bird all the time.  Ah well, I promised myself I'd run no risk of repeating my Wii launch escapades, such is life.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
You're a bit out of the loop, Speedy.  DSiWare transfers from DSi to 3DS have been known for quite some time now, but it first requires Nintendo to get their 3DS e-Shop ducks in a row which will come via a future system update.  'bout a month away, I believe; you can't do it offline.  DSi-to-DSi transfers are nonexistant.

Console breakdowns, and downloadable games suffered thereof, are pretty much give-it-to-Nintendo-to-fix-or-you're-screwed.  You can redownload anything for free but only Nintendo can transfer your account to a new piece of hardware.  On your own, you can transfer your Friend Code data between any DS systems, and that's pretty much it.
So, pretty much like Apple. Removing functionality in order to keep everything simple. Kinda hate it that it's not in the hands of the consumer to have his/her own account overall. Would actually make things a whole lot simpler, and would allow people to legally take care of [parasitic bomb] on their own.

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
I'd prefer something similar to Steam or PSN. Nintendo just has some catching up to do. They're still stuck in a time when consoles didn't break.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
I'd prefer something similar to Steam or PSN. Nintendo just has some catching up to do. They're still stuck in a time when consoles didn't break.
And unfortunately, consoles are less and less made out of Nintendium. A good NES still works like a dream, but we're lucky if a console from nowadays lasts 5 years.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
A good top-loading NES, I believe you mean.  Unless you've been doing the occasional pin-surgery.

I don't think it's so much a matter of simplicity as it is control.  If you depend on them directly for replacements, and the stability of your library, then you're less likely to do anything out of warranty and/or anything that their repair guys will deliberately penalize you for (a practice already well-established with the Wii).  Read: It's one more method to make sure you use their products their way.

Not a rumor. Confirmed. When you put in a flash card like say, the Acekard2i, the 3DS will show the ACTUAL DS flash card icon with a blue-colored sticker on the cartridge (not the game it attempts to imitate, like example ALEX RIDER STORMBREAKER). And that Acekard2i icon will show up in the Activity Log too. You can remove ALL activity completely if you format your 3DS settings to factory settings, starting from scratch again. I did test it one time, and did a factory format, and hopefully my 3DS won't be bricked, since there's no record saved anywhere in the system anymore (I'm taking a risk here, I know. I decide to use the Acekard2i in my DSi instead). And that's the point where I decided to get a new friend code, that I posted in the RPM friend list topic. ^^

And I did update the 3DS firmware a week after I got it from the post office. It updated from 1.0.0-0J to 1.1.0.1J, which included a 3D movie.
It didn't brick the system, so it means my 3DS is safe... for now (or maybe the firmware update didn't have any piracy checks). XD
Ooo, sneaky.  I was wondering whether or not they'd counter the whole card-imitating thing.

Well, yeah, I guess my M3iZero will not be leaving my DSi.  Quite a shame, seeings how Nintendo's music-playing software tends to suck.  Royally.