Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (Wii, PS3, 360, iPhone)

HokutoNoBen · 245757

Offline Emiri Landeel

• M i s s i n g   i n   a c t i o n
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Put your faith in me and I'll show ya.
    • View Profile
Reply #150 on: February 04, 2010, 04:51:18 PM
All I hope is that the game won't be a PINGAS one.

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #151 on: February 04, 2010, 04:52:50 PM
Maybe it's because I kept my expectations low (expectation chart for STM: Is it fun?) that I don't really seem to care about much of this.

-It's called Sonic 4. Big friggen whoop. It's just a name.
-2.5D Style as opposed to 2D with sprites and [parasitic bomb]. Could work out.
-Homing Attack. Spin Dash was never required in the old games, plus homing attack in Advance 2 through Rush Adventure made you lose momentum in favor of accuracy. The range was also limited.

I'm just interested in seeing how things play out.

Also, someone suggested the possibility that the "footage" we saw in game could also be a mockup made in flash, mostly due to odd inconsistencies in how Sonic runs, the corkscrew disappearing before going off screen and other stuff. It's still too soon to say, especially with a full five months dev time left.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #152 on: February 04, 2010, 05:44:03 PM
Eh, he's still Robotnik, but Sonic Adventure 1 did so well with the Eggman moniker that I grant it the same level of respect/canon recognition.

The episodes thing makes sense given the Wii. The PS3 and 360 shouldn't be subject to it just because of that, though. And I've never downloaded anything episodic before, but I'm hoping you access it like the DLC in MM9; natural flow.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #153 on: February 04, 2010, 05:58:44 PM
I call him both names~ It doesn't really matter.

But people like to rage about it too much, and make a big deal out of it. :3c

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #154 on: February 04, 2010, 08:40:02 PM
Hmm. Calling it Sonic 4? Ballsy move, Sega.

The episode thing is interesting. After all parts are released, will you be able to play through all at once? A Sonic 4 & Knuckles, so to say?

So far, I don't see anything detrimental. I don't mind 2.5D in the least, and as long as there's a spin dash, I don't mind the existence of the homing attack.

Key words: so far. We've been fooled too many times already. The few seconds of NSMBSonic may not represent the whole product. True, Sonic will be the only playable character, but that definition's been spun already. I don't think they're stupid enough to make that mistake again, but don't be surprised in the Werehog shows up.

I'm not asking for a perfect game. I'm asking for a good game. I'm confident it can be done. The question is if Sonic Team are the ones that can do it. Prove my doubts wrong, ST. I double dog dare you.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #155 on: February 04, 2010, 08:43:17 PM
Prove my doubts wrong, ST. I double 'hog dare you.
Fix'd.

Seriously, they need retro graphics and moar lock-on!

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #156 on: February 04, 2010, 09:08:40 PM

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #157 on: February 04, 2010, 11:09:24 PM

Well, I'm hoping and praying that running animation either proves the game is still early, or that it was indeed just a mock-up.

Otherwise......consider me cautiously optimistic. Will get for PSN.

*goes back to oggling the trailer for P* and Mikami's new game* 8D

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #158 on: February 05, 2010, 12:18:59 AM
We're getting into a heated Sonic discussion, and these are my thoughts on zone layout:

"[Complex stage design like Scrap Brain or Death Egg] shouldn't pervade throughout the whole freakin' game like it has in the recent entries. Like Sonic CD, the first 2/3 of the game should be relatively simple zones with a faster path, THEN you can have your complicated [tornado fang] later.

First things first, let's get the addictive momentum gameplay. Ya can't tell me speeding through Emerald Hill, Chemical Plant, Angel Island, Hydrocity, or hell, even Emerald Coast like a madman on crack isn't the exact reason you play Sonic games. Right?"

Right?

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #159 on: February 05, 2010, 12:23:31 AM
Alright, so here's my write up:

-Sonic fans are pissed, calling this Rush 3.
-Hate the homing attack.
-Hate the visual style.
-Episodic Content is rage worthy.
-http://www.sega.com/sonic4/assets/promo1.png - Sega [tornado fang]'d up on hiding the last platform: it's iPhone. Tentative release date is also July 2010.

Sonic fans will never be pleased.
This man, [tornado fang]ing. Seeing as we were both on skype with Retro members when the news broke.. Oh my god, I died. I laughing and I died inside. These insatiable fucks will never be happy with what they get and for some reason think they're minority should be the most represented. These are the same people who will ban you from mentioning the Sonic Cycle because it's TRUE. Also the same people who will call a game terrible based on a short hype video and then fork out 50 bucks for it when it comes out.

Coming here and seeing this boards reaction.. God, I love you guys.

Offline Alice in Entropy

• Genderifically Confuzzled
  • Master's Unit
  • MAKE LOVE FOR MY KITTENS
    • View Profile
Reply #160 on: February 05, 2010, 12:24:33 AM
If the Werehog is in this, I will cry myself into a coma.

I liked Unleashed. It wasn't perfect by any means, but it made me remember a little bit of the fanboy that I used to be when I was a youngster. At the very least, it was a step in the right direction. This seems like Sega's last chance to prove they can make a decent game. If they screw this up, then I think all but the die-hard fans are just going to turn their backs on the company once and for all.

Then again, that's what they always say when a new Sonic game comes out.

Let's see where we go from here with this one.

First things first, let's get the addictive momentum gameplay. Ya can't tell me speeding through Emerald Hill, Chemical Plant, Angel Island, Hydrocity, or hell, even Emerald Coast like a madman on crack isn't the exact reason you play Sonic games. Right?"

Right?

Amen to that. I'm not a big fan of CD, mind, but I agree with the rest of the point.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #161 on: February 05, 2010, 12:32:30 AM
It's fun! The best part about the games. The original games weren't about story, or saving the world. They were about SPEED!
It's about time Sega realizes this.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #162 on: February 05, 2010, 12:43:39 AM
I'll not mention the "Sonic Cycle", but we all know it.  And yeah, Aldo was pretty much right-on.

I'll take level design as it comes, though.  What I'm waiting for are three features:
-Tails
-Knuckles
-Super Sonic in stage replays

Any game which lacks these has no business being called STH4.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #163 on: February 05, 2010, 12:48:33 AM
You forgot Sonic with Tails following. At least Sonic Advance 1 got that right.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #164 on: February 05, 2010, 12:51:06 AM
Finally saw the trailer. Not gonna lie, when I saw the 3 seconds of gameplay, I smiled like a kid

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #165 on: February 05, 2010, 01:03:21 AM
I'll not mention the "Sonic Cycle", but we all know it.  And yeah, Aldo was pretty much right-on.

I'll take level design as it comes, though.  What I'm waiting for are three features:
-Tails
-Knuckles
-Super Sonic in stage replays

Any game which lacks these has no business being called STH4.
THIIIIIS. Especially after what its continuing from.
Also, Eggman as the final Goddamn boss, with some giant ridiculous mech or something. Its cute that theyre keeping the new designs, but We need Eggman to be the final boss again. Take a break from the "eggman's plans go wrong and his monster smacks him into the sky team Rocket style" He needs to be a threat again.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #166 on: February 05, 2010, 01:06:36 AM
i am the only person to like every last sonic the hedgehog game.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #167 on: February 05, 2010, 01:07:27 AM
Yes he does. At least the Sonic Rush games got that right (albeit with Eggman Nega, but still).

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #168 on: February 05, 2010, 01:12:22 AM
You forgot Sonic with Tails following. At least Sonic Advance 1 got that right.
I did not detail but figured it would be assumed that I meant the inclusion of previous Genesis mechanics involving said characters.  IE: Tails being playable with flight, and not a boss cheer-leader (*shudder*).  That includes Tails following, co-op, piggy-backing Sonic in flight, the whole sheebang.

I sincerely doubt it'll happen, I'm just saying, if they wanted to do justice to the name it's what SHOULD happen.

I'm not terribly excited about this (yet), because I've never believed that Sonic in 3D was "doomed" as a concept.  In fact I think in many ways the Adventures retained elements in the 3D leap that Nintendo's oft-praised plumber failed to (3D Mario is based almost solely on sandbox fetch-quests, which was awesome when 3D was new).  The problem is not the concept but is Sega's development process.  Ever since Heroes they have refused to properly fine-tune the gameplay of their projects and generally insisted on bogging them down with filler.  Now maybe, since they don't have to be rendering environments as far as the eye can see, going side-scroller will discourage the latter.  But the fact is, any failings in "new" Sonic have rarely been about concept, rather they're about what kind of effort Sega is putting forth.  That's why the "Sonic cycle" exists, and it's something that a "dimension shift" doesn't in and of itself fix.  Don't believe me?  Pop in X7 and check those 2D levels.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #169 on: February 05, 2010, 01:26:53 AM
I am the only person to like every last sonic the hedgehog game.
I like all sonic games. but I can see why people complain about some. Some complaints are valid, others just nitpicking. Aside from the ridiculous loading times, I cant see whats wrong with 06. It feels more like the Adventure games than Heroes or Unleashed, for sure. And Unleashed, while a silly gimmick, was fun. Heroes, I cant see a problem with. Each team has varied gameplay. especially Chaotix.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Black Mage J

• Sucking on fingers.
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #170 on: February 05, 2010, 01:28:54 AM
Well well, what has happened here? I heard of the game and all that buuuut, what are you specifically talking about here? RPM is famous for getting off track.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #171 on: February 05, 2010, 01:45:34 AM
I like all sonic games. but I can see why people complain about some. Some complaints are valid, others just nitpicking. Aside from the ridiculous loading times, I cant see whats wrong with 06. It feels more like the Adventure games than Heroes or Unleashed, for sure. And Unleashed, while a silly gimmick, was fun. Heroes, I cant see a problem with. Each team has varied gameplay. especially Chaotix.
"Like" is something of a relative term when you consider how many different aspects there are to like and dislike about any one game.  But yeah, most Sonic games that I've played have SOME redeeming points.  Unleashed excepted, the music alone is usually a safe bet on consoles.

Haven't played all of 'em, though.  Black Knight and Unleashed are still on my to-do list, and I lack an appropriate console to play '06.

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #172 on: February 05, 2010, 02:18:17 AM
Avoid Black Knight like the damn plague.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #173 on: February 05, 2010, 02:35:32 AM
And 2006

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #174 on: February 05, 2010, 02:45:32 AM

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)