Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (Wii, PS3, 360, iPhone)

HokutoNoBen · 241870

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #1175 on: June 13, 2010, 06:27:21 AM
I'm going to start selling tickets when this erupts into physical violence.

Incidentally, who wants some popcorn? *munch*

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1176 on: June 13, 2010, 01:10:57 PM
Well, there was this:But I don't think there's a whole lot new there.
Does that video load for anyone else? It doesn't load for me.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #1177 on: June 13, 2010, 04:31:41 PM
It's basically the guy talking about the upcoming E3 demo, how they're incorporated some but not all physics changes, that the iPhone version will have an exclusive stage or two, that the Special Stages will not be in the E3 demo and will have optional motion control on Wii and PS3, and that old bosses will have new attacks.  Nothing terribly significant.

I took notice in the gameplay footage, though, how rarely you see Sonic's "running at full speed" animation.  To me that's not very aesthetically pleasing, since it gives the impression that something's holding you back, but then Sonic's full-speed animation isn't terribly attractive either, so unless they're willing to redraw it I guess this is kind of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" thing.  Kinda like hearing X speak in X7.

Next 2D Sonic graphics designers need to take a long hard look at Brawl, if you ask me.  "You're too slooow!"

Wow, thanks for the lack of response on the issues that mattered, instead of caring the most about the interpretation of a basic, simplistic story in a game meant for kids. Jeez, I meant it as a side-argument, but it basically got the whole original argument to dissapear in your replies.
Flashy, I don't know if this RPM wall-of-text thing is new to you, but for the sake of sanity one typically lets go of issues they are either willing to concede or, more likely, do not consider terribly significant/productive in the first place.  More detail on that following my final quote.

You think Vader would have a place in the rebellion if he had survived? You think Axel would just join Sora and his friends in adventures if he had survived? You think... oh hell, not gonna list every single example. Here. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RedemptionEqualsDeath Knock yourself out.
TVtropes lists every fictional storywriting phenomenon known to man, including polar opposites to the one you gave me.

Vader is an interesting and extremely inaccurate choice, because the entire reason he was on the "wrong" side was because he felt he had no choice in the first place.  I know every fanboy and their dog objects to that aspect of the prequel trilogy, but it's the only way to make sense of Luke sensing good in a character which for the last two movies has appeared only evil.  Naturally, such is not the case with Shadow, he's fighting for vengeance, not because he was backed into a corner.

And what exactly is it that Shadow has done that rules him out as an "Earth Defender" if you will, anyway?  He never received any sort of publicity for his actions; the whole damn world thought he was Sonic, and Eggman was the one making threats on the monitor.  Only the players and Amy know of Shadow's actions, and if he has been redeemed in their eyes (God knows Sonic and co. are forgiving enough), nothing's stopping him.  That's a pretty damn sharp contrast to Vader, who strikes fear in the hearts of virtually all men on both sides.

Only because of fan-bitching, he was alive and well in the next game, and not fitting in AT ALL. And they kept trying to shove in more and more story, just to make up for it. "Amnesia! Aliens! Gerald was right! You're a team member with a jewel thief and a mass murdering robot! The ones who killed the only person who ever mattered to you are now your employers!" It's all worthless drivel which is just meant to feed the fan machine. Shadow's death FIT.
So while we're obsessing over criticizing one's discussion tactics, I'll take a shot with this:  You're trying to counter someone's problem with a character death, so you offer your problems with the character living.  The flaw to such an argument is that a character's life can take an infinite number of turns, and the mere fact that their life was handled poorly does not necessitate that he should not have been alive at all.  My core problem with Shadow's death, is that I do not consider a death of circumstance (and exceedingly poorly written circumstance at that) to be a death of necessity.  Nothing in your post addresses that.  You state that Shadow HAD to die, but you offer no reason as to why which has not previously been brought up in the discussion.  G.U.N., redemption, farked memories, we tackled all of that before.

For the record, however, I wish to state that it's not as if I don't have my own problems with the current version of Shadow's story.  Most notably the motivational speech from Gerald, which is exceedingly anti-climactic when we already know from SA2 that Gerald finds a reason to ignore whatever purpose he's trying to convey at that time.  Sonic and co. would have been much better candidates.  The entire point of ShTH's Last Story is that Shadow needs to stop looking to his past for his answers, and Gerald's message flies in the face of that.

As for more characters in a game, that have similar gameplay with a few differences? I'm perfectly okay with it. As long as the gameplay WORKS. In Black Knight, it's stuffing more layers of broken into a broken game, turning them into bullshit characters who do nothing to make the game better, and just add more layers of the derrivative factor that makes the gameplay unsuited for any kind of game, and completely unpolished from any point of view. But developers prefer to make more characters instead of making their damn games good.
This is the kind of segment I was talking about above, where if I was discussing this with anyone but you, I'd have not quoted this segment and simply let it go.  Why?  Because you're re-stating what you already said in previous posts, indicative that we have reached an impass.  One typically does not demand some acknowledgment of this kind of situation.

You did the same thing in your last post by citing the game's lack of AI which I had already responded to, along with your various other complaints which you had already made in previous posts.  Now if you feel the need to clarify your previous position, that's your own business, but whether I've noted any new information in that to be significant enough to warrant further discussion is my own.  I saw your gameplay arguments in your previous post as redundant, offering no information to me that I had not already gathered from your other posts beforehand.  You run the risk of that happening when you actually read what you're responding to.  As such, no response was merited from me.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Klavier Gavin

• RPM Soldier
  • Einspruch!
    • View Profile
Reply #1178 on: July 16, 2010, 11:59:14 PM
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm0CCq_ZGTQ[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffIWniPnPdM[/youtube]

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #1179 on: July 17, 2010, 03:37:53 AM
As sad as this is, the music is starting to grow on me.

Seriously, though, I will never understand how people play games with touch-emulated controls.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1180 on: July 17, 2010, 05:01:51 AM
I tried playing Zero 4 that way on a friends phone once.
WTF.

As Sonic would say, THAT'S NO GOOOD!

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #1181 on: July 17, 2010, 06:11:40 AM
Ugh, touch controls.

I'd still rather wait for Sonic Colours.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1182 on: July 17, 2010, 01:53:36 PM
Jesus Christ I totally forgot about this topic argument.

And the whole game actually seems pretty damn good.

Offline Klavier Gavin

• RPM Soldier
  • Einspruch!
    • View Profile
Reply #1183 on: August 20, 2010, 02:33:41 AM
Sonic 4 Update Blog – Part I!

Few updates to the final build of the game.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1184 on: August 20, 2010, 03:08:20 AM
Aww... I thought the minecart looked fun... D:

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline RetroRespecter

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #1185 on: August 20, 2010, 04:44:49 AM
2D Fans of Sonic the Hedgehog, rejoice!!

Offline Bloodedge

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #1186 on: August 20, 2010, 04:53:48 AM
2D Fans of Sonic the Hedgehog, rejoice!!
Is it out now?! ^^

"To protect the world from Japanamation, To overthrough the Kaiba corporation,
To denounce the meaning of the original dub, to extend our reach to the world above,
Team Fourkids blast of at the speed of light, surrender now or prepare to fight,
Meowth that's right..."

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #1187 on: August 20, 2010, 07:43:46 AM
Aw, they do care. I didn't think they'd actually listen to people bitching. This team just earned a lot of respect from me. They're genuinely taking the fans' words to heart and acting on it. They really want people to like this game.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #1188 on: August 20, 2010, 03:55:53 PM
Waiting patiently for them to get this thing out the door.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
Reply #1189 on: August 20, 2010, 04:13:31 PM
Can't wait until it's released! I love the Sonc 1 -3 and S&K, and this one looks like another great addition to the series!

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #1190 on: August 21, 2010, 02:32:48 AM
I maintain that there is no real consensus in the Sonic fanbase about how to make a "good" Sonic game, nevertheless I have to admire their effort.  And I certainly appreciate them tweaking the running frames/speed, because that was looking pretty sad in earlier builds.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1191 on: August 21, 2010, 03:46:35 AM
Listening to one's fanbase can be very good, but depending on the fanbase, it can also backfire due to said fanbase being in disarray. But hey, here's hoping that it works out in the end. Maybe then I can get a Sonic CD 2 as well! XD

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #1192 on: August 21, 2010, 03:56:05 AM
When they actually start getting to what has most concerned me (re: physics), then maybe my cold, black heart will actually start being moved. Pushing the game back to next year would also be a good idea at this point, because too much of this still stinks of Sega trying to rush this thing out for the Holiday Season, which seems to make no sense, considering they already have Sonic Colors coming out in November of this year.

Listening to one's fanbase can be very good, but depending on the fanbase, it can also backfire due to said fanbase being in disarray. But hey, here's hoping that it works out in the end. Maybe then I can get a Sonic CD 2 as well! XD

No, Blues. As much as I still choose not to trust modern-day Sonic with Sonic 4, you know DAMN WELL there's no reason to trust them with Sonic CD 2. The very notion of having green-eyed, big-ass head with legs Sonic appear in a sequel to a game produced by Naoto Oshima (Sonic's original designer)....aw, HELL NAW. 8D

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1193 on: August 21, 2010, 04:16:45 AM
No, Blues. As much as I still choose not to trust modern-day Sonic with Sonic 4, you know DAMN WELL there's no reason to trust them with Sonic CD 2. The very notion of having green-eyed, big-ass head with legs Sonic appear in a sequel to a game produced by Naoto Oshima (Sonic's original designer)....aw, HELL NAW. 8D

Awwww, but I want more time travelling 1.21 JIGGAWATT Hedgehog again! XD

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #1194 on: August 21, 2010, 04:20:58 AM
WHAT THE HELL IS A JIGGAWATT?!!

I'd just settle for someone figuring out how to properly handle Tails and Knuckles again (even better if in 3D, but this is the STH4 thread...).  No more mech piloting, treasure hunting, ring-bombing, or whatever the hell gimmicks they've tried.  Sonic's side-kick, and Sonic's non-evil-twin friendly rival, that's what I want to see.  I recall some interviews offering hope for later episodes of STH4, so here's hoping they're not referring to some cameo crap.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #1195 on: August 21, 2010, 04:12:29 PM
sonic CD 2? without Naoto's input? Oh no they are not?! [/fantard]

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #1196 on: August 21, 2010, 04:15:18 PM
Awwww, but I want more time travelling 1.21 JIGGAWATT Hedgehog again! XD
You could always hope they make the time traveling not completely pointless.

Offline KyoKusanagi

• I was an engineering major in college until I learned engineering had nothing to do with trains.
  • Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #1197 on: August 27, 2010, 07:18:26 AM
This place sounds more civilized than the elitists over at Sonic Retro. ("We rage over game titles, music, and think the classics are perfect!...TOO perfect to live up to!")

Sonic fans? Civilized? 8D

I maintain that there is no real consensus in the Sonic fanbase about how to make a "good" Sonic game, nevertheless I have to admire their effort.  And I certainly appreciate them tweaking the running frames/speed, because that was looking pretty sad in earlier builds.

Disorganized as we are, from furries to fantards and jaded old school fans, you are correct. Retro couldn't even get a community-based sequel off the ground. Everyone over there is fuming because this is "Not want we wanted." Ask a fan anything: they may think Sonic 4 involves all of Sonic's friends with Shadow overshadowing (SEE WHAT I DID THAR!?) Sonic. Some envisioned Sega pulling a Megaman 9 move with retro graphics and sounds. (Of course, that's what I would have liked to see) Other fans envisioned a 2D game with HD sprites (ala Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD).

Instead we find that Sega is still a washed-up has-been from the 90's that should have been bought out by Nintendo. Yes, Sega's listening, but methinks they aren't putting their best efforts into making the game (reused bosses, badniks, etc). Jun Senoue (the composer) was even going to use the same computer and development kit he used to make the music for Sonic 3! (The NEC PC-88? 98?) Someone could at least tell him about emulation, right?

Given that this is only the first episode, we don't even know what the rest of the game is going to look like. (Of course, angry fans will still give Sega the 'guilty until proven innocent' treatment) Although I have my suspicions that Episode 2 will involve reusing/making minor edits of Sonic CD content.

Of all the levels I've seen, Lost Labryinth looks the most original.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1198 on: August 27, 2010, 07:31:22 AM

Hey, it made for awesome level design I thought, plus changed the music to sometimes more awesomer levels!

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #1199 on: August 27, 2010, 08:17:20 AM

...Among other things, time traveling in CD was one of two means in order to obtain the "GOOD END" of the game (getting all Time Stones being the other option). It was certainly not useless.