Metroid Discussion Thread

LightningKitsune · 140349

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #525 on: August 22, 2010, 10:39:11 PM
Darn, I always miss the big arguments where I'd be able to cause more damage. =P

Anyway, being on holiday, and having a good chance to re-try it out, I find myself replaying through Metroid Prime, this time sober.

And I gotta say, I have a BIG newfond appreciation for it. I still have the same complaints about it as always, stuff like no strafing and having to stop to point still don't make much sense, and the overly big amount of scanning you have to do could have been reduced. But I can see that Retro Studios did a work of love in this game. Enough logs to seem like a Bioware game, a damn perfect translation of the Metroid gameplay into a first-person perspective, graphics that hold up with beauty even today, and damn, this shows Nintendo had the balls to do something amazingly new and excellent without being dicks and re-releasing Metroid with Metroid gameplay and Metroid design. It's pretty much the most perfect translation of a 2D franchise into 3D I've ever seen since Ocarina of Time.

The gameplay also feels like it should. Samus runs and jumps around naturally, the Morph Ball is a dream to move around, and everything fits so well I feel kinda guilty about not giving it the full appreciation it deserved earlier.

I'm hoping Team Ninja manage this big of a splash with Other M.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #526 on: August 22, 2010, 10:40:08 PM
Ive finally gotten around to playing Prime 2 again. I always get lost, and forget my objective there. at least 1 and 3 were much more clearer in reminding you of your objective. (and they didnt have dual world gameplay, ugh)

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #527 on: August 23, 2010, 12:40:02 AM
The hint system always did nudged you in the right direction, but the amount of detail in the areas in prime 2 did got a bit mind numbing at times, but once ya get it, it's not so hard.

Only thing I wasn't too slightly fond of is the portal locations, but I enjoyed it very much nonetheless.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #528 on: August 23, 2010, 12:49:38 AM
The dark world in Prime 2 did seem like going through nothingness over and over, and was dull. But it fit its purpose, and they grew out of it.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #529 on: August 23, 2010, 12:51:52 AM
stuff like no strafing
But... there is strafing. Not in the conventional sense I suppose, but the strafe jump is immensely useful and works just as well.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #530 on: August 23, 2010, 01:04:39 AM
Bah, you people and your non-circular strafing...

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #531 on: August 23, 2010, 01:13:40 AM
Double-analog control with strafing/aiming would have made Metroid Prime a pure orgasm. No need for silly lock-on by having the game choosing the enemies I want to aim at. That, and instantly looking at things I want to look at, instead of having to stop and point my ARM at them. 8D

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #532 on: August 23, 2010, 03:50:40 AM
Perhaps, but then its status as First-Person Adventure would be even more dubious than it already is.

Closest thing to a true FPS Metroid would be Prime Hunters on the DS.  Of course, the DS has no analogue, but the premise of touch-aiming is similar at least, and there is no lock.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Tenshi

• 天使の伝説
  • Robot Master
  • ミソラちゃん
    • View Profile
Reply #533 on: August 23, 2010, 06:43:32 AM
I agree on Prime Hunters being the closest to being an FPS, and the fact that it's very linear and hardly any exploration further proves this. I didn't like the controls though, despite being good considering limitations. It was very unconfortable for me. It was the only game to ever give me a blister. And I didn't even play it that much.

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #534 on: August 23, 2010, 07:23:58 AM
It was more fun when everyone online only played as Trace and got into sniper fights... I stress "fun."

So fun, people began to use the electric guy to [tornado fang] over the Trace players. Everyone else was just too [parasitic bomb] to both playing as when electric bro stormed the scene.

Offline Tenshi

• 天使の伝説
  • Robot Master
  • ミソラちゃん
    • View Profile
Reply #535 on: August 23, 2010, 07:27:53 AM
Sylux was overpowered. The Shock Coil absorbed health way too quickly, making it harder to kill Sylux, and his Alternate form was annoying, albeit Samus having the most broken one.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #536 on: August 23, 2010, 03:24:16 PM
Double-analog control with strafing/aiming would have made Metroid Prime a pure orgasm. No need for silly lock-on by having the game choosing the enemies I want to aim at. That, and instantly looking at things I want to look at, instead of having to stop and point my ARM at them. 8D

Go play the Wii version then.  You'll be happy to know Samus can strafe just fine in that one.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #537 on: August 23, 2010, 08:21:08 PM
Perhaps, but then its status as First-Person Adventure would be even more dubious than it already is.

Closest thing to a true FPS Metroid would be Prime Hunters on the DS.  Of course, the DS has no analogue, but the premise of touch-aiming is similar at least, and there is no lock.
Ease of control trumps "status recognition" easily. The original Metroids didn't have any lock-on capabilities to begin with. The adventuring is what makes it adventure, not the controls. Precise aiming and moving with the lightning-quick speed existant in the 2D games would not only be possible then, it would be perfected. And then, there would be no need for lock-on controls that don't always aim at the enemies you want to. Heck, the lock-on was the one thing that didn't click with the original games.

Go play the Wii version then.  You'll be happy to know Samus can strafe just fine in that one.
Which is far better, I agree, but it sacrifices the turning speed and movement finesse that an analog could offer.

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #538 on: August 24, 2010, 07:27:47 AM
Which is far better, I agree, but it sacrifices the turning speed and movement finesse that an analog could offer.

Not a problem at all.

Offline Klavier Gavin

• RPM Soldier
  • Einspruch!
    • View Profile
Reply #539 on: August 25, 2010, 08:21:40 AM
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwGYGxZTzQo[/youtube]

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #540 on: August 25, 2010, 08:28:59 AM
That was intense.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Ephidiel

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #541 on: August 25, 2010, 03:08:45 PM
so whos the traitor O__O

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #542 on: August 25, 2010, 03:26:33 PM
I'm just hoping that all of this drama translates into a decent story, with the least amount of quality, instead of degenerating into pointless cliche dramatic action the way Team Ninja have done in their games.

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #543 on: August 25, 2010, 07:51:07 PM
Yes, because Team Ninja is 100% in control of it.

Or maybe they really are, who knows.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #544 on: August 25, 2010, 08:46:57 PM
It's obvious that Nintendo would pay alot of close attention to the game itself to make sure it's up to Metroid standards, but nobody really knows how much control Team Ninja has of it. And how the narrative may turn out. I don't think they'll be able to reach Retro's documental class, to be honest. Let's hope they do a good show of their own.

Posted on: August 25, 2010, 07:43:58 PM
[tornado fang] YEAH LEAK

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #545 on: August 25, 2010, 09:40:22 PM
Well, as far as i'm concerned, it's the work of Yoshio Sakamoto and the CG team that did recent cinematics for TN (I forget their name.  Anyhow, i'm certain the opening to DoA Paradise is the recent work by that team) that's more or less in charge of story and bits of working w/ TN to continue their goal of 'seamlessness'.

But w/e hopefully it comes out well. 

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #546 on: August 25, 2010, 10:40:00 PM
The one seeder who leaked the game has a crappy connection, so people are gonna have to wait awhile.

I'm gonna have to wait until tomorrow to burn the thing anyway, but I'll still be able to give early impressions. If anyone knows any cheap way to transmit footage, I'll also be able to stream some of it.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #547 on: August 27, 2010, 10:32:49 AM
I, personally, am waiting for rip of the music.
Mmmm... Metroid music.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #548 on: August 27, 2010, 12:38:22 PM
Alright, finished downloading, gonna burn it to a dual-layer DVD (haven't tried this before) and hoping it works.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #549 on: August 27, 2010, 03:22:01 PM
Filthy pirate. =P

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.