Metroid Discussion Thread

LightningKitsune · 138842

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #325 on: July 21, 2010, 09:47:24 PM
The only thing I ever really used missiles for in Prime,was for the Super missile, and the other beam specials

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #326 on: July 21, 2010, 10:32:59 PM
Possibly because the missiles are so damn slow and inconvenient in the Prime games. They're barely better than just spamming charge shots, except for putting less stress on your fingers...

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #327 on: July 21, 2010, 11:17:19 PM
They're only decent in Prime 1, and only if you rapidly alternate between A and Y to cancel the cooldown.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #328 on: July 22, 2010, 01:56:43 AM
They're only decent in Prime 1, and only if you rapidly alternate between A and Y to cancel the cooldown.
Yeah, they can be handy depending on the situation. Otherwise they mainly went into the special missiles. It wouldn't surprise me if they're not that useful here due to the way they have to be used.

In the 2D Metroids, missiles were plenty useful. Being able to spam them into targets that are stuck on a 2D plane generally helped their usefulness. Bosses in particular were rather susceptible to them (ie. being able to kill Kraid with Super Missiles in Super Metroid before he fully spawns in).

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #329 on: July 22, 2010, 02:00:09 AM
I used the hell out of missiles in Prime 2, if only because ammo for the beams was a pain in the ass.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #330 on: July 22, 2010, 03:32:24 AM
Usually I'm like that too. In Fusion and the Primes, I never use missiles unless I have to. But in Zero Mission, missiles are practically required on the bosses.

I Prefer using missles in the 2D games, as they seem to dish out more damage, also because the charge shots tend to cancel out before getting the Plasma beam, which ends up making a larger shot (Spazer charge shots in Super, Wave Beam in Fusion and Zero Mission.) get cancelled out by certain enemies armor.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #331 on: July 22, 2010, 08:42:30 AM
(ie. being able to kill Kraid with Super Missiles in Super Metroid before he fully spawns in).

I could never manage to do that.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #332 on: July 23, 2010, 02:22:24 AM
Bosses in particular were rather susceptible to them (ie. being able to kill Kraid with Super Missiles in Super Metroid before he fully spawns in).
Still no match for charged Plasma Beam, though.  It's amazing how quickly post-Maridia bosses go once you realize that.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #333 on: July 23, 2010, 07:59:30 AM
Still no match for charged Plasma Beam, though.  It's amazing how quickly post-Maridia bosses go once you realize that.
Depends on the boss, not to mention the fact that there isn't exactly much post-Maridia (well, on the regular path that you're expected to take anyways).

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #334 on: July 23, 2010, 10:09:09 AM
Now that I hear more of MANthony Higgs, i'm liking him more and more~

AWWWWWWWWWW FANCY MEETING YOU HERE, PRINCESS!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ATX2Lom2Ho[/youtube]

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #335 on: July 25, 2010, 04:11:45 AM
Love what I'm seeing, even in spite of the Power/Varia blender stunt.

Depends on the boss, not to mention the fact that there isn't exactly much post-Maridia (well, on the regular path that you're expected to take anyways).
Ridley and Mother Brain's second form make the point well enough.  Her first requires missiles as a matter of weapon typing, that's about it.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #336 on: July 28, 2010, 03:04:39 PM
credits to Metroid Database

NEW AWESOME TRAILER TO OTHER M

watch for surprise

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRMBerJtJjM&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #337 on: July 28, 2010, 03:14:19 PM
wait- what surprise am I looking for exactly?

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #338 on: July 28, 2010, 03:17:19 PM
Nothing specific, just in short how awesome the trailer is.

Edit: then again...I guess I ruined it by saying new trailer right?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #339 on: July 28, 2010, 03:57:34 PM
You said Watch for surprise, but I wasnt sure what exactly the surprise was...

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #340 on: July 28, 2010, 04:00:34 PM
Wait a damn minute.

Did I see Sylux in there?

The Other Side

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.

Offline Fariator

• Freelancer.
  • Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #341 on: July 28, 2010, 04:11:07 PM
I didn't notice a single Sylux in there. Too much awesomeness was going around in that trailer.

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #342 on: July 28, 2010, 04:37:21 PM
You said Watch for surprise, but I wasnt sure what exactly the surprise was...

Oh ok...well...in that case, nothing then. o.o

Offline Fariator

• Freelancer.
  • Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #343 on: July 28, 2010, 07:22:04 PM
Seems like Metroid: Other M is going to include a theater mode [source]. Dunno if that has already been posted, but 2 hour long film if all cutscenes are connected? That's kind of neat and also starts to remind me of the theater mode that was in Metal Gear Solid 3: Substistence (or what I have heard about it).

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #344 on: July 28, 2010, 08:44:01 PM
You know, the problem with that idea is that cutscenes in games tend to be broken up by long segments of gameplay (or short segments of gameplay if you're playing MGS2 or beyond), and don't automatically make sense when they're strung together.

Edit: I retract that statement, since apparently the developers came to the same realization and added pre-recorded gameplay footage between the cutscenes to tie it all together.

The Other Side

Offline Fariator

• Freelancer.
  • Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #345 on: July 28, 2010, 08:48:30 PM
Yeah, that prevents a gamer who hasn't played the game from understanding the whole movie thing, but I guess it would be worth the watch after a playthrough or two if you just want to understand the story better. Guess it's better than nothing, as I like to watch some cutscenes over and over again if there's a cinema thing inside the game.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #346 on: July 28, 2010, 08:49:32 PM
See previous post.  Guess I should've finished reading the article before I said anything!

The Other Side

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #348 on: July 30, 2010, 09:24:46 PM
Only 30% items on the first playthrough? I kinda hope so. Prime 3 had 75% of the stuff right in front of you.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #349 on: July 31, 2010, 05:11:34 AM
For us tedious completionist players a 30% count is pretty ridiculously low.  I mean, who here honestly got that in their first playthrough of any other Metroid game?