GENERAL COMIC BOOK THREAD (MANGA NOT ALLOWED)

Rin · 214720

Offline Ramzal

• B-Class Hunter
  • Don't sweat the technique.
    • View Profile
Reply #900 on: March 27, 2011, 07:24:49 PM
Is Aquaman worth reading now? I mean, I never touched it due to old school useless Aquaman, now I hear people singing his praises. Just wondering.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #901 on: March 27, 2011, 07:32:10 PM
In the Brightest Day series, the Aquaman storyline was, IMO, the best written out of the many that came from the series. His supporting cast has been given amazing new life, as has he. Also, the character and world of Aquaman has so much potential, due to all the mysteries of the ocean. Plus, Geoff Johns is fantastic at revamping older villains and creating newer ones, as well as building whole universes and stories around the characters & world, so yeah when this comes out, you should give it a look.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #902 on: March 27, 2011, 08:12:32 PM
AW [parasitic bomb]

MANTA CORPS WAR AND WETTEST NIGHT CONFIRMED. 8D

And on the artist, he can usually pick awesome artists for the comics. Ivan Reis and Francis Manapul, for example.

In a December interview with Newsarama, Johns said of Aquaman, "In my opinion, he’s up there with Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, the Flash and Green Lantern,"

Well [tornado fang] you too, Johns. >_> ANYONE FROM THE ORIGINAL LINEUP YOU'RE FORGETTING?

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #903 on: March 27, 2011, 08:55:34 PM
He'll get to him.  8)

And yes, he usually picks fantastic artists.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #904 on: March 27, 2011, 10:07:40 PM
I'm kinda interested to see how he'll end this whole Krona thing. I just want a story that ends the constant EVENT-AFTER-ANOTHER thing and just gives Hal a break for a bit before he goes into more epic quests to save the universe.

...and I want Larfleeze's oath, dammit.

Offline Pyro

• Wielder of the Chaos Force
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #905 on: March 27, 2011, 11:19:45 PM
I'm kinda interested to see how he'll end this whole Krona thing. I just want a story that ends the constant EVENT-AFTER-ANOTHER thing and just gives Hal a break for a bit before he goes into more epic quests to save the universe.

That was why I  liked most of Johns' earlier work. He took the time to build a supporting cast, and that is the biggest weakness of Green Lantern right now. Whatever happened to his brother Jim and the rest of the family? We got an appearance in Blackest Night eighteen years ago but that's it and I'm disappointed. The definitive moment in "Sinestro Corps" was when Hal told his family to leave Coast City in GL #25 and his response was "Hell no!" Don't get me wrong, the book is doing fine right now but I am somewhat unsatisfied that we get the New Guardians for a supporting cast but Larfreeze and Sinestro aside, I'm not warming up to them a whole lot. Plus there's the fact that Hal rejoined the USAF at the beginning of the title, he's been AWOL a lot and I don't think he has that much leeway with his commanding officer. There are so many things that Johns has forgotten to address since he introduced us to the various Corps.

Come to think about it, what happened to Hector Hammond? Did Krona just remove the entity and toss him in a ditch? What about Hal's other foes? I remember there being mention of Evil Star from Blue Lantern, Sister Mercy a while back, and then there's Sonar who we haven't seen since about #4 or #5. I thought we would have seen something with him a while back.

So much missed potential.  :'(

Come and read some Thoughts of a Platypus

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #906 on: March 27, 2011, 11:32:30 PM
That was why I  liked most of Johns' earlier work. He took the time to build a supporting cast, and that is the biggest weakness of Green Lantern right now. Whatever happened to his brother Jim and the rest of the family? We got an appearance in Blackest Night eighteen years ago but that's it and I'm disappointed. The definitive moment in "Sinestro Corps" was when Hal told his family to leave Coast City in GL #25 and his response was "Hell no!" Don't get me wrong, the book is doing fine right now but I am somewhat unsatisfied that we get the New Guardians for a supporting cast but Larfreeze and Sinestro aside, I'm not warming up to them a whole lot. Plus there's the fact that Hal rejoined the USAF at the beginning of the title, he's been AWOL a lot and I don't think he has that much leeway with his commanding officer. There are so many things that Johns has forgotten to address since he introduced us to the various Corps.

Come to think about it, what happened to Hector Hammond? Did Krona just remove the entity and toss him in a ditch? What about Hal's other foes? I remember there being mention of Evil Star from Blue Lantern, Sister Mercy a while back, and then there's Sonar who we haven't seen since about #4 or #5. I thought we would have seen something with him a while back.

Yeah, I know alot of stuff wasn't addressed, but I gotta say that the present cast still has too much to evolve. Johns has a certain way to evolve certain cast members. The commanding officer was a guy Hal disrespected back then. He was brought in so Hal could make peace with his ghosts of the past. He was simply used as a plot device after. And if he has any opinion about how Hal's been skipping so much work, he neverthless understands that an invasion of Black lanterns through the whole universe can get you alot of work. As far as Hal's brother, the very thing about him was his constant fear of danger. And the progression, from No Fear up to Sinestro Corps War, was for Coast City to acknowledge Green Lantern as the hero they trust, and for Hal's bro to lose his fear completely, having faith in the heroes to save them.

Remember the detective partners from Johns' Flash run? The old guy and the black guy? (can't remember their names). They were disregarded and thrown aside a bit as soon as his run ended, but they weren't serving alot of purpose after their story arcs had ended. That's kinda the way Johns builds each character. By building on each one at a time, and as soon as they are, they get pushed off to the side and serve their purpose later. As far as now, we're STILL finding things out about Atrocitus. Sinestro's pretty much scooped as a past, but he's being built upon. Larfleeze still has his oath to say and lotsa comedy to bring. And Indigo's purpose isn't even known yet, as well as their relationship with Abin Sur.

Let him build upon the foundation he's created. He'll get to it.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #907 on: March 28, 2011, 12:28:36 AM

Nonsense. Hal's family already proved their bravery & such in The Sinestro Corps War, and they are currently living a somewhat normal life, whereas Hal's life right now is kinda nuts, what with having to work with mortal enemies, and one with whom he's trying to figure out things with, and he's probably stressed. Why do you think Superman asked Hal when the last time he's taken off the ring? Also, your problem seems to be not that he's not building a supporting cast, but just that he did and you don't quite like them right now. He's actually built Hal quite an amazing supporting cast, one that has a lot of potential to be more than just secondary characters.

And I'm sure he'll get to Hector Hammond at some point, as well as other villains. Just be patient.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #908 on: March 28, 2011, 01:03:26 AM
Thing about Hammond, is that he is RIDICULOUS. There's only so much you can do with a big-headed psychic man who is a giant pervert. He's being teased alot, so he'll probably have a big role later. Hell, the part where he absorbed Ephidian was a really big participation when it comes to him. Old villains don't have much of a place in the show, but Johns uses them from time to time. Other than just being a puppet and Nekron's connection, Dead Hand did little in Blackest Night. But he was still important in No Fear's story.

Give it time.

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #909 on: March 28, 2011, 07:16:35 PM
Ah, well. To each his own I suppose.

Anyhow I found another tidbit on Newsarama. Looks like, JMS' involvement in the later parts of the Grounded were minimal. So the whole bit about the Superman Squad was Roberson's idea. Interesting... I wonder what he plans to do when moves past JMS' sentence-length plots.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #910 on: March 28, 2011, 07:37:40 PM
Ah, well. To each his own I suppose.

Anyhow I found another tidbit on Newsarama. Looks like, JMS' involvement in the later parts of the Grounded were minimal. So the whole bit about the Superman Squad was Roberson's idea. Interesting... I wonder what he plans to do when moves past JMS' sentence-length plots.
That explains the "Fourty Cakes" reference.

ALSO! New comics week amazing so far. Loved the Hal vs Guy fight, and absolutely adored the ending to Luthor's tale. Now THIS is a job for Superman.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 12:54:52 AM by Bueno Excelente »

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #911 on: April 04, 2011, 08:10:08 PM
Oh Krypton help me, I'm actually using Superman as an example for a term paper I'm writing.  :o

It's on archetypes in literature (largely based on the works of Northrop Frye), and I thought Supes is actually a perfect example of the mythic hero.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #912 on: April 04, 2011, 08:18:06 PM
Of course he's a perfect example of the mythic hero.

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #913 on: April 04, 2011, 08:44:20 PM
Naturally. I'm just hoping my Prof sees it that way. :P

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #914 on: April 04, 2011, 09:15:50 PM
Honestly, if he doesn't, he's a fool. Superman is easily the greatest example of a modern day myth & legend, like the greek heroes of old. Hell, greek heroes are even put into comic books, largely in part because of Superman and him revolutionizing comic books.

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #915 on: April 05, 2011, 12:07:24 AM
Thankfully this is the same professor who gave a good mark on a paper where I psychoanalyzed "Avatar" to pieces. I should be all right if I stick to the theory. XD

That said, I'm satisfied with how I used Superman as the mythic hero. I wonder if I can use other superheroes as examples for other heroic archetypes. (like romantic heroes, high/low mimetic, ironic). Damn, too bad it took me this long to get into the groove. I have to write fifteen pages and I'm less than a third of the way through.  o-O

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #916 on: April 05, 2011, 12:13:03 AM
You can use most superheroes, or just the comic book genre in general. These are essentially our greek myths, our legends. It's one of the reasons why they are making so many comic book movies, besides money. I mean, look at what's coming out this year.

Thor
Captain America
X-Men: First Class
Green Lantern

One represents a god living on a mortal plane. Another represents someone who truly believes in the spirit of American freedom and who was willing to fight for that belief no matter what. Another is a representation of the fight against bigotry, persecution, and ignorance as well as a fight for humanity both in the sense of fighting for humanity and fighting for one's humanity. The last one represents a person's own willpower to overcome fear and use said willpower to change the course of their destiny & fight.

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #917 on: April 30, 2011, 08:36:47 PM
Well, the conclusion to Brightest Day came out and Action Comics #900 got some attention over Superman's citizenship (or perhaps lack thereof). Any impressions? I have to leave for work in about ten minutes so I can't give any specific commentary at the moment but I'd be interested in hear anyone's opinion when I return.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #918 on: April 30, 2011, 08:47:27 PM
Well, the conclusion to Brightest Day came out and Action Comics #900 got some attention over Superman's citizenship (or perhaps lack thereof). Any impressions? I have to leave for work in about ten minutes so I can't give any specific commentary at the moment but I'd be interested in hear anyone's opinion when I return.

Haha, I'll be talking about it in the next episode of The Curious League of Comic Book Geeks most likely!  8D

*shameless self promotion*

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #919 on: May 03, 2011, 09:04:55 PM
Just had to share this.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d3RqCUvK3g[/youtube]

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #920 on: May 09, 2011, 06:21:20 PM
I know that the point of depowering heroes is to show that even without powers, they can still help out but I have to cry "fridge logic" as heores get superpowers form various souces. I got to ask (I may had answered my own queation) what is the logic behind depowering heroes? And does that mean that superpowera despite coming from different sources can be depleted the same way?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #921 on: May 14, 2011, 07:49:52 AM
Not a comic book, but there isnt anywhere else to discuss it without making a new topic.

Anyone watch the series finale of Smallvile?

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #922 on: May 14, 2011, 08:05:28 AM
I haven't seen it yet, but I've been hearing reviews of it.

Most of them terrible!  8D

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #923 on: May 14, 2011, 08:31:47 AM
[spoiler]It was ok. Pretty good even. The "terrible" comes in when they finally showed Clark in the damn suit. It looked awkward. Brandon Routh pulled it off, but Tom... Eeeeh. Dont get me wrong, he LOOKS the part of Clark Kent, but they didnt handle the scenes with "superman" that well. It's almost like they DELIBERATELY avoided direct full body close up shots of him in the suit. just movement, extreme close ups, shady distance shots, and the like. the final payoff of him just "pushing" Apokalips away was kind of lame too. For a final scene I was expecting more action and maybe a classic ol' Superman fistfight. Hell, Routh lifting new krypton and pushing THAT into outer space was much more intense than this. But nothing. He dons the suit for what, the last 10 minutes? Just in time to Save Air force 1, (off the camera, all we see is a blur go past the window) and then fly in a blur to push Apokalips. after which we see him floating in space looking back at earth in a long shot.
(which, maybe Im the only one who noticed, but it seemed like they were heavily influenced by Superman Returns on those two)

The fast forward was pretty well done, and they even played the classic superman theme, and we saw him go up to the roof and pull open the shirt. But.. I was expecting better. Especially more suit. Considering they went the extra mile just to obtain the one used in Superman Returns when DC was OFFERING them the Reeves suit, you expect them to get more use out of it.

Well at least they made him fly. Considering they didnt want him to.

So in the end, despite the almost rushed superman scenes, they WERE presented well, and the ending was nicely done. So my only real complaint was "I wanted more superman"[/spoiler]

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #924 on: May 14, 2011, 11:38:04 AM
Well..they can still make Superman the NEW adventures of Lois and Clark 8D