New Super Mario Bros. Galaxy 2 Wii Turbo Edition

HyperSonicEXE · 137337

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #250 on: November 15, 2009, 07:50:04 AM
I was actually trying to find you there too, even listening for your name to be called in the tourney.  Alas, no Jericho.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #251 on: November 15, 2009, 08:45:36 AM
Mario Christmas hat?!

To which glorious bastard do I send my money to get one of those hats?!

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #252 on: November 15, 2009, 08:54:20 AM
Not Ninja Lou.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #253 on: November 15, 2009, 09:04:10 AM
I can't even find it at my usual online stores, and Ebay just has knockoffs.

Although ToyWiz has something pretty kickin' right here:

http://www.toywiz.com/banprestominiboxedgoldcoins.html

PVC Gold Coins! In the words of M. Bison,

Yes!
YES!

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #254 on: November 15, 2009, 09:20:10 AM
And ups my anticipation to buy NSMBWii at Monday.  Glad to hear it was goomba-licious PB~

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #255 on: November 15, 2009, 01:52:05 PM
Apparently only actual video-game stores got this early.  Wal-Mart and Target aren't carrying it yet for some God-forsaken reason, so I made a midnight visit for nothing (hey, it worked for Brawl).

And if I know my semi-local Gamestops, they probably sold out on pre-orders alone, like they do everything.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #256 on: November 15, 2009, 06:44:05 PM
I saw a lot of red cases in boxes at mine just now. They had pre-orders set aside and some for general release in a box, so you may as well try them out. They opened early today too.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #257 on: November 15, 2009, 06:44:21 PM
Playing NSMBWii right now!

Wow, this really is fun! I'm totally getting into it! Boy...they sure do like their secret areas, huh? Geez, they're EVERYWHERE. And Roy's fortress, WHOO, EVERYWHERE. Like every other wall has coins or a door hidden behind it! That's nuts!
At any rate, I've already completely cleared World 1, cannon, star coins, everything, halfway through World 2. Here's some thoughts so far:

+Solid fundamentals
+Plenty of items thanks to Toad rescuing
+Inventive use of boosted jump height and ice blocks
+Secrets are properly hinted at; not too difficult to find, but not NES-era BS, either
-Hopefully Propeller and Mini Mushrooms become more plentiful
-It's not skill difficulty, it's obstacle "difficulty" again; that only slows the game down and hurts it
-Can't freaking save at a good time to make up for the lack of power-ups for exploration; quick save...MEH.
-Wii Remote hiccups every now and then, that can cost, otherwise cool use of the Wii Remote

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #258 on: November 15, 2009, 07:57:33 PM
I'm at about a similar point.  Mrs. Shell is out and about so I haven't had the chance to try multiplayer.

+Hey, it's Mario.
+I cannot tell you how much ass the Koopa Kid battle theme kicks.
+FRIKKIN SMB3 HAMMER BROS REMIX!!!
-Shaking Wii remote to lift Toad seems clunky.  Other than that, remote usage is responsive.
-Only Players 2-4 can select their character.  Player 1 *MUST* be Mario.
? For a company pushing a non-HD piece of hardware, I find it more than a little bizarre that there is no fullscreen option.
? The Ice Flower is a lot more plentiful than the Fire Flower, in the first world anyway.

I saw a lot of red cases in boxes at mine just now. They had pre-orders set aside and some for general release in a box, so you may as well try them out. They opened early today too.
Mine refused to set aside general release boxes for FIRE EMBLEM.  That's pretty darn sad.  I don't trust them for new releases, and I'm annoyed with the fact that every time I step into the store they try to sell me a pre-order.  Most gamers have internet access; if I wanted to pre-order something I wouldn't leave the house to do it.

Fortunately, there's always Best Buy.  It's been so long since I shopped there that I forgot about them.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline STM

• Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #259 on: November 15, 2009, 09:25:40 PM
I also just took out World 1, though haven't found the exit to the cannon. Pretty simple so far, with my 25 some-odd lives, although I am loving the ice flower quite a bit. Freezing Cheep-Cheeps is fun.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #260 on: November 15, 2009, 09:26:30 PM
[tornado fang]. I really want this game.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #261 on: November 15, 2009, 10:51:21 PM
Yeah, my pre-order got stuck apparently. I guess I'll have the game tomorrow.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #262 on: November 15, 2009, 11:43:49 PM
Now most of the way through World 4, only missing one World 3 Ghost House coin.

And right now, I'm on the World 4 Ghost House, and I've got all the Star Coins, but there's this little burrowed passage. I'm Mini Mario, but I can't walk through it? What's up with this? IT'S JUST FOR THE MICE?! Wtf...

Also trying to figure out how to get to the W4 Cannon. Found it. PM me if you want to know. I tell you, it's Team Rocket trouble, double trouble.
And still having to explore the World 3 Ghost House for that last coin.

Solid game, but man, they didn't learn their suit/secrets lessons.

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #263 on: November 16, 2009, 12:06:15 AM
bought it~, but since this is DnD night, my brother will get the first play-touch on it, whilst I play it tomorrow morning and then multiplayer when my brother comes back from work~ hohoh, can't wait~

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #264 on: November 16, 2009, 12:34:28 AM
Just got home from playing it with Lou.  We got as far as World 3 before I had to head out.

Honestly, this type of game is truly all I ever want out of gaming.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #265 on: November 16, 2009, 12:44:37 AM
I'll just say that, I love this game to death, but I'll be pissed if I get to the end and there is no Player 1 Character Select code hidden in the credits.  I'd hate to think that the DS is capable of one-upping the Wii, trivial a detail as it may seem.  I happen to love the man in green, and I despise the idea of being "punished" for being first player.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #266 on: November 16, 2009, 02:37:08 AM
Took the World 5 cannon to World 8 and beat the game.

THIS
IS
DELICIOUS

I've gotta do spoilers!
[spoiler]
Okay, so, it's already cool enough that Jr. HIJACKED BOWSER'S Koopa Klown Kar! On the airship! Now,

EPIC FINAL BATTLE
So you trounce Bowser once, but you're missing the last Star Coin. You run under him, hit the switch, there's Peach.
WRONG. It's Kamek! And she Rump Commands Bowser! The Final Battle is an auto-scrolling race against Bowser's wrath! He's tearing up the place, spitting house-sized fireballs at you, swiping his claws and destroying his castle trying to get you! This plays a lot like the Megaman Tribute entry that Vixy helped with. Then at the end, there's a HUGE switch, that destroys the castle floor, drains the lava, and takes Adrenaline Bowser with it!

Standard ending, Luigi and the two Toads arrive in hot air balloons, Luigi opens the...basket door?...for them and bows, Peach takes Mario's hand (0v0), and sail off into the sky...leaving Luigi behind, Luigi hitches a ride with the Toads.
After all that, it shows Mario and Peach in the balloon, and Peach asks Mario if she had ever told him about "that secret world".

Now, I know DARN WELL what that means! But, it just so happens, you unlock World 9 afterwards.

Final scene, Larry's crawling on the ground, Jr. condescendingly points toward the other Koopalings, instructing Larry to help get Bowser+ back on his stomach or feet, whichever he can do.
THEY DO! Bowser wakes up on his stomach with a loud THUD! Everyone rejoices!
...but...uh...his little episode causes the ground to shake, and the front end of the castle falls on him...
[/spoiler]

Totally worth EVERY frustrating moment trying to get all the Star Coins (well, where I played)! Good thing that cannon was there, though; I was getting tired of OBSTACLE COURSE again and again and again and again.

Even if this game doesn't have replay value (which, I think it might, but only as much as NSMBDS, which is low), it was so worth the experience!
Now, onto that...secret world!
...so using that as a pickup line... 8D

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #267 on: November 16, 2009, 02:44:52 AM
Well, Aldo beat me to it.

Star Coins, incidentally, unlock [spoiler]"Secret World" levels.  8 stages, all Star Coins in one World unlocks a particular stage.[/spoiler]

Now for ending talk:[spoiler]Man, that final Bowser fight was so epic.  I do kinda wish it wasn't necessary to beat Bowser with a switch, though.  I miss the axes of old.

Is it just me or is Peach getting even MORE uptight with her hero-thanking?  She's gone from kiss on the cheek to arm holding.  Who knows, maybe she feels guilty turning her back on Bowser all the time (as well she should, considering that I don't recall seeing any annulment at the end of Super Paper Mario).

Either way the fact that the ending is Mario-specific ala SM64DS leaves me at all the more a loss as to why the player selection was not expanded.  There's really so much more they could have done.[/spoiler]

I really can't get enough of that Hammer Bros. remix.  Even playing only Worlds 1, 5, and 8, I deliberately hit map enemies whenever possible, and wound up with something like sixty Mushrooms. 8)

Oh yeah, and we all knew it was coming, but...
...I'll be pissed if I get to the end and there is no Player 1 Character Select code hidden in the credits.  I'd hate to think that the DS is capable of one-upping the Wii
And in addition to this, GUESS WHAT?  PEACH'S SKIRT WAVES AS SHE FALLS!

SHIGERUUU!!! O:<

(still worth it ~w~ )

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #268 on: November 16, 2009, 03:09:25 AM
Nearly forgot to mention:
At 99 Lives, Mario/Luigi loses the hat. You don't take extra damage or anything, it's just gone.

Found World 3 Ghost House Third Star Coin. It's kinda where I expected it would be, but I just had to risk my neck to get it.

About SPOILERS:
[spoiler]Aw, come on, Mario blushes when she asks him about the "Secret World"! I don't know about you guys, but I think we know precisely what Peach is going to do for her whoknowswhat-th birthday! óVó[/spoiler]

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #269 on: November 16, 2009, 03:18:30 AM
Now that, I didn't know.  I only have 60-70 lives.

And as far as blush-inducing "secret world" talk from a Princess goes, I'd rather hear that from Daisy. :V  Ah well, can't win 'em all.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #270 on: November 17, 2009, 06:57:30 AM
<----
She'd love a place like World 9; stars, it's in the sky, etc.

Eh, I guess they don't have "Feeling like you're on cloud 9" in Mario World, they have "Feeling like you're on World 9". 8D

Posted on: November 15, 2009, 10:08:47 PM
Well. Five-Star Complete.

I'm pretty well a walking encyclopedia now, although there's probably a few secrets I'm fuzzy on from memory.

Star 1: Beat the game.
Star 2: Get all the Star Coins in Worlds 1-8.
Star 3: Get all the Star Coins in World 9.
Star 4: Visit all: Levels, Alternate Goals/Levels, Ghost Houses, Fortresses, Castles, Warp Pipes, and Cannons. Toad Houses, Baddies, Toad Rescues, etc. mean jack.
Star 5: Don't use Super Guide. You can have the block appear (STUPID FLYING BEETLES), just don't use it.

Offline STM

• Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #271 on: November 17, 2009, 07:45:18 AM
Little addition on Star 5: You CAN use it, but clearing the level will keep the icon on the world map red. When ALL the icons are blue, you'll unlock it... meaning you have to go back to the level you used Super Guide in and beat it yourself.

...Made it to World 6. I'm going at my own pace, accounting for school and such. I'm loving how the game is slowly raising the difficulty while not making it irritatingly so.

Also the little treat at the end of World 4. Mmm...

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #272 on: November 17, 2009, 06:39:58 PM
Little addition on Star 5: You CAN use it, but clearing the level will keep the icon on the world map red. When ALL the icons are blue, you'll unlock it... meaning you have to go back to the level you used Super Guide in and beat it yourself.

...Made it to World 6. I'm going at my own pace, accounting for school and such. I'm loving how the game is slowly raising the difficulty while not making it irritatingly so.

Also the little treat at the end of World 4. Mmm...

There's an even better version of the same little treat after World 6.
Let's just say...Mario decides to get in on the action.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #273 on: November 17, 2009, 07:10:01 PM
All I have to say is that for me this game doesn't compare to SMB3, SMW or SMW2. Still fun, mind you, but it's missing something.

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #274 on: November 17, 2009, 08:28:30 PM
New Super Mario Bros. Wii even has got my attention. It looks like it's a lot of fun.