Misc. Video Game thread

Flame · 15906

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: February 18, 2009, 06:54:35 PM
So lemme get this straight, you all knew this already and didn't make a thread? XD

Meanwhile, I miss having a computer and being on top of things. :C

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: February 19, 2009, 12:06:30 AM
This thread is the most appropriate for this:

WTF is wrong with all these news popping up today?

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: February 19, 2009, 12:07:47 AM
People want to beat each other to the punch badly it seems. None more than Nintendo currently though. Speaking of news...

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: February 22, 2009, 04:51:26 PM
http://kotaku.com/5157654/can-the-dsi-become-the-portable-wii
"Nintendo seems to realize that for the DSi to become as popular as the Wii it will have to serve more than one role."

Then why the AAC format on songs?! Argh!

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #29 on: February 22, 2009, 07:02:18 PM
Then why the AAC format on songs?! Argh!

Harder for pirates to put music in, so that they have to go through all the hassle to convert the music in the first place.

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: February 22, 2009, 09:55:13 PM
I tried converting to AAC once, damn songs didn't even work... X(

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: February 22, 2009, 10:28:22 PM
I don't even know what the AAC format is.

And they expect people who need Wii Remote jackets and straps to know how to make their music player work, now?
Really, Nintendo, sometimes you puzzle the heck out of me.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: March 11, 2009, 08:33:19 PM
lol, I just realized that Sonic's credits song from Sonic 06 uses the tune from Sonic 2's ending.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: March 15, 2009, 06:55:42 PM
...ah ha. Mario Kart Wii has got me thinking.

Most people who are new to Nintendo and its games don't even know who Captain Syrup, Daisy, Wario, Pauline, and some of these other characters are.

PREDICTION: The DSi will have Super Mario Land 1 and 2 for download, and they may very well be given graphical updates to match their current character models. And since Pauline already looks the same on the Donkey Kong GBC game, that one might just get left alone or can be downloaded as is.

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: March 15, 2009, 07:22:22 PM
CUrrently playing Megaman ZXA, and Rospark makes me giggle  8D

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: March 15, 2009, 07:25:07 PM
Did his Schwartz radiate, and even mess up your head? >U<

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #36 on: March 15, 2009, 07:45:18 PM
I just realized, the bloody Cybuster was around during Super Robot War's NES days.. Amazing, and I just started playing the NES Super Robot Wars today.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: March 15, 2009, 08:25:36 PM
Did his Schwartz radiate, and even mess up your head? >U<

It ALMOST did, but I did giggle on his design and that lovely schwartz of his XDDD

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: March 15, 2009, 11:55:43 PM
I just realized, the bloody Cybuster was around during Super Robot War's NES days.. Amazing, and I just started playing the NES Super Robot Wars today.

Yep. Cybuster and the Masoukishin are truly veterans of the SRW series.

I REALLY hope that, eventually, Banpresto will give us a remake of Masoukishin: Lord of the Elemental, some day. My fave SRW, and it really could stand to benefit from today's tech, plus being out-fitted to fit in the OG-verse...  8)

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #39 on: March 16, 2009, 02:12:42 AM
Yep. Cybuster and the Masoukishin are truly veterans of the SRW series.

I REALLY hope that, eventually, Banpresto will give us a remake of Masoukishin: Lord of the Elemental, some day. My fave SRW, and it really could stand to benefit from today's tech, plus being out-fitted to fit in the OG-verse...  8)

Good point, but the origional Cybuster animation had a diffrent pilot (Aside from Masaki and two feeline familiars), but methinks that it's probably the company mascot. Strange that the Valsion is still broken as it is, though.. (I keep getting whooped by this guy) :\

I should get arount to playing Masoukishin sometime..

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: March 24, 2009, 01:44:02 AM
http://flashkof.fr/hokuto/game.html
thought it was pretty cool. the basic default controls are [parasitic bomb] though.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline ST Jestah

• Procastinator Extraordinair
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Just chilling in the Nexus.
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: March 24, 2009, 11:37:32 PM
You know what...I didn't like the original Sonic The Hedgehog game. I downloaded it from the VC, thinking I would mostly like it like most Sonic games, turns out I didn't. Which is why I vowed to myself to play a rom of the game I want thats in the VC before I decide to buy it or not.

Why buy it instead of play it for free via rom. 2 reasons: 1-roms don't give that same happy feeling you get from playing a game the way it's supposed to be played. 2-give the develepors/creators/publishers of the game support...even if it is only 10 or less dollars.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #42 on: March 25, 2009, 11:15:42 PM
I found that out myself when I last installed S3&K. I just don't like Sonic games anymore...

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: March 31, 2009, 05:59:23 AM
Well I don't blame anyone for not liking Sonic 1. Only parts of Sonic 2, 3, and Knuckles are good. Sonic CD is pretty even, although Wacky Workbench is ANNOYING.

But hey, that's not what this post is about!

AHA! Wait a minute! Next year is the 25th Anniversary of SMB1! I'll almost bet you that Super Mario Galaxy 2 will release in 2010!

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: March 31, 2009, 06:03:35 AM
Super Mario Bros 4! 8D

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: March 31, 2009, 06:07:19 AM
Super Mario Bros 4! 8D

After the success of MM9 and NSMB, I could see this happening. Which is kinda sad.

But, nah, if they put Link in a train, I think they've smoked enough hash to come up with some better SMG suits and stages even trippier than Matter Splatter Galaxy.

More short(er) stages like Sweet Sweet Galaxy, Nintendo! Make 'em short, make 'em snappy, make 'em fun!

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: March 31, 2009, 01:13:09 PM

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: March 31, 2009, 01:18:17 PM
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!! owo

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: March 31, 2009, 01:25:58 PM

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: April 05, 2009, 05:48:54 PM
The Nintendo DSi
Impressions

Okay, well, I'm awake, now, and I stayed up 'til 3 o'clock in the morning taking this little handheld in and swirling around all of its advantages and disadvantages in my head. Note that this is a Matte Black DSi.

Form:
~It most certainly is "longer and shorter than the DSLite," and it makes the system very portable. The hinges' opening and shutting feel natural, and every external slot or reader is kept far enough inside the machine, with hardly any protrusions (save for the clicking L and R shoulder buttons), and all are placed in intuitive spots. The Microphone is no longer near the bottom; it's located on the hinge. And no, there is no GBA slot.
Function:
~The buttons are improved versions of what the DSLite offered, depending upon your take on "improved." The DSLite's "bubble" buttons are back, and they've been given the Matte finish, too. The center of the D-Pad now caves in a bit more, so that's easier. The L and R shoulder buttons seem sturdy, though they click when you press them. I hope that means they're contacting better and are sturdier. The big difference this time, though, is the power button! It's no longer on the side of the DSLite where you're afraid you might accidentally slide your hand and turn it off, and it's not above the D-Pad where you might try to press up just a liiiiittle too far and BAM, gone. No, this time, the power button is located to the side and near the bottom left corner of the touch screen. Somebody did their homework, because that's the least-used section of the touch screen, and when it is, it's usually for some moderately-sized but prominent button. Also, if you quickly press the power button, the system resets. If you hold it, the DSi powers down.
Communication:
~The days of shy, quiet DS' are no more. The DSi's Internet menu now has 3 "Advanced Settings" for WPA and other very secure types of wireless connections. I think the local Wi-Fi communication range was boosted a bit, but I can't really tell, right now; all I have to go on is the relative range from my router compared to the DSi. Even then, it's only like 2 feet of difference. The three indicator lights (communication, external power, and system power) are a bit confusing at first, but you'll easily learn what they mean through experience.
Ergonomics:
~Now for the system's size, though, it has probably only eliminated the cramped hands feeling for people with smaller hands. People with far larger hands (like myself) will still need to purchase a grip of some sort. If you do not have the desire or cash to do so, though, you could put the base of your palms at the bottom corners of the DSi and have the bulks of your index fingers press the L and R shoulder buttons, but this will cost you reaction and execution time.
Power and Light:
~Did I mention the screens were brighter? Holy cow, I have to set it on 2 just to keep it at a normal brightness. Also to save battery power, too, because the DSi has less average play time per charge. Oh, and be warned; if you're wanting to setup your DSi right out of the box, you need to be quick about it; they only barely charged it so they could test it out, and the system will give you a quick camera tutorial once you power it up.
Display:
~The screens are bigger! Yea! ...well, sorta yea. As you might imagine, this stretches the image slightly, and on flickering games (e.g., Kirby Superstar Ultra), you'll be able to see horizontal display lines. That's still not enough of a detractor, though, because the larger screens improve the experience (and give your brain more room to work with spacing and timing). It will make games like Elite Beat Agents or Sonic Rush's Special Stages slightly harder since you have to move more, but the size increase helps a ton of other games.
Sound:
~Stunningly good sound considering the two tiny holes out of which the waves have to travel. I'm not kidding; if you've ever bubbled in an answer on a Scantron test form, the speakers are as big as an answer bubble. It's no hindrance, though, as if you have the volume all the way on maximum and you turn the DSi on, every sector of your brain will know it's on. The DSi's speaker won't overtake a restaurant dull roar, but I imagine this will fare better than the DSLite and Phat.
Ease of Use:
~So, I'll go on ahead and say it; the DSi's menus and interface are almost EXACTLY like the Wii's. Certainly the settings menus. When you start up the handheld, you still have to tap the screen once to confirm...whatever, but then you're greeted with a single-line iPod- or Photo Album-like Scrolling Boxes menu that has all of your applications and games, starting you off on your last used application.
Cosmetics:
~I was skeptical at first, but this Matte finish idea was a good idea. I'm a bit disappointed at Nintendo's choice of colors, though. I mean, really, a light blue? Black was fine, but make two other colors like some sort of red or pink and then a teal so you can please the blue and green crowds. I wouldn't say the outside feels like sandpaper; more like very polished and scraped composite board. It's a bit rough, but not so rough that it can't slide out of your pocket or makes you feel uncomfortable. And yes, it does very well at eliminating smudges and fingerprints. Not 100%, but honestly, I think this is about as close as you'll get.

Final Synopsis: 4/5
A surprisingly worthwhile redesign of a solid handheld system. I'm afraid they're pushing the DSi's quirky little features like the camera and the music player a little too hard, though, especially since they're a bit lackluster. The AAC formatting for music is not all that user-friendly, and the downloadable free Opera browser is not Flash, Audio, or Video capable, not to mention it's zoom problems. No flash on the camera, so it's not like you'll be taking pictures in the dark or at distances, on top of the poor display quality of the photos. That aside, the features are still fun to horse around with. Bird and Beans (it's Pyoro 1 and 2, guys) was definitely fun for $2 (you are given 1000 DSi Points when you sign in before Oct. 5th), and the lasting appeal and success of this handheld will truly come into play if and when downloadable GB/GBC/GBA games start cropping up, not to mention original titles.

If your DSLite's hinge is broken or the shoulder buttons are about to buy the farm or is giving you hand cramps, or you're still using a DSPhat, it's time to make the switch. If you don't care at all about the downloadable games, though, stick with what you've got (at least until the price on this bad boy drops a bit).